A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] Dynamic Sun

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: [WIP] Dynamic Sun (61 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:18 AM    Msg. 1 of 61       

So, the map passes threw dawn to dusk threw a huuuuge dynamic light above the BSP. This also enables bumpmaps all the time. I don't have THAT many small tweeks to do before I can let you all test it, but it does have a few isues, and I do wana make a animated sky to go with it. (like currently a day passes once per minute lol, we need to make that like 10 minutes or something that wont easly be seen)

After I finish it, I will open source the tags and a tut on setting your map up to use it, because it will realy help with all map graphics (since the bumpmaps always display)

Soon I should have a youtube video, Hdoan was recording for me.

Does anyone have any questions? (and before you ask, it didn't lag in the slightest when I tested)

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:23 AM    Msg. 2 of 61       
Well that's cool.... isn't the dynamic lights a little bit laggy?

Also my Suggestion would be to make it so we can edit the time it takes for a day/night that way we can suit it for the kind of map we're making...

Ie:

20 minutes for day, 2 minutes dawn 10 minutes night 2 minues sun rise 20minutes day ETC.. I'm not sure that would work tho.

kirby_422

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 12:31 AM    Msg. 3 of 61       
Quote: --- Original message by: OpsY
Well that's cool.... isn't the dynamic lights a little bit laggy?

Also my Suggestion would be to make it so we can edit the time it takes for a day/night that way we can suit it for the kind of map we're making...

This one isnt, runs smoothly.

The timing would be linked to the function block, but currently it isnt listining to me.. lol, I have it at 8X slower, and it goes at normal speed.. stupid medications.. *points at avatar quote*

kirby_422

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 01:39 AM    Msg. 4 of 61       
Ok, youtube is uploading my video right now, it should be uploaded by the end of my post.

I might aswell give you a bug list since the video will reviel alot of them, and I realy don't feel like you restating what I already know lol.

Since BGs walls are one sided, light can get threw the other side, and that makes it so the oposite side of where hte sun is always gets iluminated, and when the sun switches from the night rest to dawn, the light apears to invert. The default bumpmaps look heavly tiled, so people will want to make their own custom bumpmaps of higher scale when using this. I have no sky, but I already explained that later I would make my own animated sky to look like the time is changing. The speed of a day, witch ive already said I would work out later. And the last thing from the top of my head, the sun flare fades if you dont look at it from a good angle.

and before you ask, I added that ground bump to BG for hte movie so it would use the lighting more. the frame rate in my recording is because camstudio's frame rate, and don't tell me to use fraps, the program itself lags my computer making it equal to about the same frame rate.

The background music is Hishoku no Sora (yes, its japanese.. lol, and cheatsman should reconize it) and now ill sit here waiting for youtube to finish uploading..

well.. what ever, ill edit this post when youtube activates the video, until then, you can search kirby_422 dynamic sun on youtube, cause those are 3 search flags on it, and it will be findable threw that as soon as they activate it.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 01:54 AM    Msg. 5 of 61       
sometimes, the errors of ''not listenning to me'' that don'T seem to use the changes you're made can be fixed by closing all HEK programs then reopenning let's say Sapien.

kirby_422

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 01:56 AM    Msg. 6 of 61       

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 02:06 AM    Msg. 7 of 61       
Definatly nice... did your comp lag during capture tho:P? I wish it gets out in time so I can put it in RPG5 hehe

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 02:07 AM    Msg. 8 of 61       
awesome Kirby.

kirby_422

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 02:28 AM    Msg. 9 of 61       
Quote: --- Original message by: OpsY
did your comp lag during capture tho:P?

no, its just the video capture's frame rate, and if I used a higher quality recording program like fraps, the program would lag my computer down to about the same frame rate lol.

H Guru

EHSv3 Coming Soon!

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 04:04 AM    Msg. 10 of 61       
yea thats awesome kirby

bobbysoon

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 05:16 AM    Msg. 11 of 61       
Thats pretty cool. I think 5 minutes would be a good cycle time. Short enough to see the whole cycle

I made a star sphere you could use for this, if you like. I rewrapped uvs to evenly distribute the stars, so it could be rotated any which way. I could animate a marker to it and upload, should you like to use it. I found some spherable cloud textures that might look good with it too
Edited by bobbysoon on Feb 14, 2008 at 05:17 AM

Wolf_

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 06:16 AM    Msg. 12 of 61       

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 08:23 AM    Msg. 13 of 61       
DANO said he was going to do this with Retina, but we haven't heard from that in a while.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 09:52 AM    Msg. 14 of 61       
Retina? weird map name nonetheless

kirby_422

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:23 AM    Msg. 15 of 61       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_
Is this going to - http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=838 - maybe??

Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
After I finish it, I will open source the tags and a tut on setting your map up to use it, because it will realy help with all map graphics (since the bumpmaps always display)

^
so it depends on weather he wants it, and weather I release it before he releases his map.

Quote: --- Original message by: bobbysoon
I made a star sphere you could use for this, if you like. I rewrapped uvs to evenly distribute the stars, so it could be rotated any which way. I could animate a marker to it and upload, should you like to use it. I found some spherable cloud textures that might look good with it too

No, im gonna make a animated sky, and ive already been planning how im gonna do it.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 11:39 AM    Msg. 16 of 61       
I think we should more call it'' Sun less'' rather than night... unless Stars appear during nighttime:P I hope this sky isn't a ''Halo sky'' as in we don't see the any ring so it's more open to the kind of concept you want to make

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 03:21 PM    Msg. 17 of 61       
I love it

gamegodlazy
-
Screenshot Guru
-

Please pass the Panda Sauce to me

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 03:31 PM    Msg. 18 of 61       
lolz looks good but i dont think it would work in every map when it comes to gameplay

it could be fun for an i am legend like server or an zombie server

with the i am legend the zombise can nly attack at night time XD

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 03:32 PM    Msg. 19 of 61       
Looks really cool.
GGL, can you go one post without going XD?

spike15

yes!yes!yes!yes!

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 04:21 PM    Msg. 20 of 61       
happy valentines day every one and to keep on topic that is so awesome cant wait till it get released(it is gonna be released?)

Disaster

ROCKS

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 04:21 PM    Msg. 21 of 61       
Needs static grass, but I love it.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 04:25 PM    Msg. 22 of 61       

Always read the first post before asking questions.

spike15

yes!yes!yes!yes!

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 04:40 PM    Msg. 23 of 61       
ya i did but he might end up not so i asked, in fact i read all the comments and if you noticed i said "cant wait until it gets released" which means i knew it was bing released. so next time read the comments thoroughly right before coming to any conclusions.

and just to make sure it docent come out that im bing rude 2 u odx im not
Edited by spike15 on Feb 14, 2008 at 04:42 PM

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 04:54 PM    Msg. 24 of 61       
...Well for one, sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. Second, I was just respond to what you said in parentheses, I quote:
Quote: --- Original message by: spike15
(it is gonna be released?)

HogdriverOneFiveFive

Prodigal Son Returns-Actual Join Date April, 2006.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 05:13 PM    Msg. 25 of 61       
does it sync though the internet?
doors and ai dont... does this?

gamegodlazy
-
Screenshot Guru
-

Please pass the Panda Sauce to me

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 05:13 PM    Msg. 26 of 61       
i actualy sometimes make posts without XD's

spike15

yes!yes!yes!yes!

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 05:18 PM    Msg. 27 of 61       
think of it as a rhetorical question (and i know it isn't) but think of it like one and that i am legend idea is awesome but is it possible to be able to do that? make the zombies come out when its dark that is.
Edited by spike15 on Feb 14, 2008 at 05:35 PM

Kiwi

Now you see him, soon you won't

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 05:27 PM    Msg. 28 of 61       
Don't you mean "rhetorical"?

spike15

yes!yes!yes!yes!

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 05:37 PM    Msg. 29 of 61       
thats what i said "cough" stupid spell checker

spike15

yes!yes!yes!yes!

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 05:47 PM    Msg. 30 of 61       
then why cant they make ai sync? because u could make it if u walk over a floor panel its like terning a control on that makes them shoot at u? just wondered would that work and if not y?

bobbysoon

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 05:52 PM    Msg. 31 of 61       
Quote: --- Original message by: selentic
Anything controlled with a control syncs with a sync script.
I'm curious about that - how do you use the "global function name" in sky tags, and Function in scenario?

Edited by bobbysoon on Feb 14, 2008 at 05:53 PM

Wolf_

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 06:03 PM    Msg. 32 of 61       
Is this going to - http://www.h2vista.net/forums/showthread.php?t=838 - maybe??

^
so it depends on weather he wants it, and weather I release it before he releases his map.

Quote: --- Original message by: bobbysoon

No, im gonna make a animated sky, and ive already been planning how im gonna do it.

Didnt SonicXtreme make one but whit images?Like when they reached points of map the sky changed..Maybe you was the brain behind that kirby?Also is your shedule overrunned??

kirby_422

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 06:15 PM    Msg. 33 of 61       
Quote: --- Original message by: HogdriverOneFiveFive
does it sync though the internet?
doors and ai dont... does this?

currently it wont sync since I havnt rigged any sync system, bugs are more important than everyone experiancing the same time of day lol. Ill make some sync scripts later.

Didnt SonicXtreme make one but whit images?Like when they reached points of map the sky changed..Maybe you was the brain behind that kirby?Also is your shedule overrunned??

yes, SonicXtreme used BSP changes in kingdom sun, but that wanst smooth, and it wasn't dynamic.

And my schedual is full (thats why I was hoping I could get sapien running on school computers, but since its running off my PSP stick, it has a read time error, and it would take to long to copy it off the stick and back at the end of the break)

[offtopic]Also.. ha ha, I had some awsome fun earlier today *smirk* one of my friends left his PSP with one of my friends for me to add more games on.. while it was with the 2 of us, we changed all the game labels to sexual terms lol, and with his custom theme on his PSP, he couldnt tell what anything was lol. he was so pissed off when I fixed it 5 minutes ago, it was entertaining.[/offtopic]

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 06:20 PM    Msg. 34 of 61       
^ I did that woth my computer, except it was hate messages to my brother.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 08:15 PM    Msg. 35 of 61       
i forgot to say thanks Kirby. I have been wondering about something like this for a while because it was anoying me to be making bumpmaps for levels that were either never seen or only seen about 1/100 as much as they should have been.Really seemed like a big waste of time to me but with this it will all make sense. thanks man.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue December 10, 2019 9:25 AM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website