A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »You WILL NOT abuse people who make requests

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: You WILL NOT abuse people who make requests (47 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 10:53 AM    Msg. 1 of 47       
I have had it with the barbaric, rude and childish practice of abusing people who make requests for maps and modifications. It WILL NOT continue and anyone who persists in the abusive practice will have their account banned from the forum.

This is not a new rule, it falls under rule number 3 where Halo Maps will not tolerate insulting, flaming or harassing of users. If someone makes a request you have two options.

1) Help them and/or discuss the request with them to clarify what they want.
2) If you don’t want the help them then remain silent and do not post.

You may not harass them or tell them that no one does requests (which is a lie). You may not tell them to do it themselves, you may not post reasons why you or anyone else does not want to do it and you may not abuse or make fun of them.

I repeat:
If you do not want to do someone's request stay silent. Do not respond do not post.

For those of you making requests:

If you wish to ask for help or request a map or mod then please be courteous, remember you are asking for a favor. Be to the point and offer as much information about what and why you are looking for. Do not be upset if no one responds or does not want to do it. Do not be abusive or demanding.

I will no longer tolerate this kind of bad behavior in this forum. I don’t care what it allowed anywhere else but this is definitely NOT ALLOWED HERE.

deathraider555

Blood is that which ties me to my devils.

Posted: Jul 17, 2008 06:30 AM    Msg. 2 of 47       
with you all the way!!!

mikehaysjr

My stuff is going AWRY!!!!!

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 08:49 AM    Msg. 3 of 47       
Great point, Dennis. We've all been new to this at some point, right?!
i mean, it;s not fair, why wouild we try to ruin their time making maps? Are we really that cold?

Evil 5partan

www.nitroxstudios.tk

Posted: Nov 13, 2008 11:46 PM    Msg. 4 of 47       
I love your choice of words to express your views on this matter! Go Dennis!

Zetal

Posted: Jan 25, 2009 12:12 PM    Msg. 5 of 47       
I'll abide by this rule, but not happily...
I'm new. Yep. I started about a week ago, but I didn't beg people to make maps for me, I started learning and did the hard work to do it myself. I have my eye on a big project, but I'm not gonna ask somebody to do it for me...it's just silly, to be honest.
Edit: And by this I don't mean I want to be a jerk and make fun of them, I just think it'd be better to point out they should do it themselves and learn, or just drop the idea.

Hope I don't get banned for this outlook.
..and as I said before, I don't intend on breaking this rule, I just think it's wrong to not even try to learn.
Edited by Zetal on Jan 25, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Dennis

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 06:32 PM    Msg. 6 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Zetal
..and as I said before, I don't intend on breaking this rule, I just think it's wrong to not even try to learn.
First off people have helped make maps for others and secondly if no one responds then the person has no other option than to "do it himself" or drop the idea. Berating him about it is rude, childish and uncalled for and the reason this thread is here.

Zetal

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 07:13 PM    Msg. 7 of 47       
It's also very rude to demand people to create something for you, and giving them no compensation except for your own pleasure. Some of the 'request' topics around I've seen are basically the poster telling us all to create their 'thing' for them, with no other option presented. It's like killing a kitten, or something. If I knew more, I'd be happy to HELP people, but not do things for them. That doesn't include improvement. If there was some request guideline, and maybe stricter rules about them...
I just can't stand the topics that are so ridiculously demanding.
Anyway, you're a moderator and it was clearly stated in the rules I don't really have any rights, so I'm just gonna step down and walk away now.

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 07:25 PM    Msg. 8 of 47       
Although I do agree that people shouldn't insult the requesting person and tell them to do it their self but the first time I did that my request was ridiculous (Like a few being posted now) and after being chewed out it actually made me do it myself. Although it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be it still helped me make my own map, sure some people don't care what other people think of them unlike me but I personally think it would help if every time there is a request someone can respectfully give a list of Tutorials to help the person requesting to make their very own map.

Recon_Sniper_4

Take down what once was a great power.

Posted: Jun 27, 2009 07:32 PM    Msg. 9 of 47       
agreed

BeachParty clan

Sooo... You wanna switch to Red team huh?

Posted: Jun 28, 2009 05:07 AM    Msg. 10 of 47       
when I first requested a map - ohwait, i was into modding since haloPC myself, mb

lol, but anyways, what's the big deal of it anyways? someone asks for a map, you either help them or not, the only thing that happens is that a topic will drown itself, boohoo =P

I say, keep fullfilling requests if you can, do not think you're too good to do requests, it merely makes the halo experience more fun

sniper 117

ZOOM,ZOOM there's your head BOOM!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Dec 3, 2009 07:15 PM    Msg. 11 of 47       
i agree 1000%

Perko

yes, really!

Posted: Dec 20, 2009 12:52 AM    Msg. 12 of 47       
hooray 4 being noob and askin 4 maps 2 be done :)

The Jackal

I Am Awesome

Posted: Feb 24, 2010 11:20 PM    Msg. 13 of 47       
yea its not right to harrass people because they don't know.

Mysterion

Nice shot, but too bad your @$$ just got SACKED!!!

Posted: Feb 27, 2010 09:52 AM    Msg. 14 of 47       
There is a "learning curve" to using any type of design sofware, which is why in the professional world, students or employers will pay large sums of money for coursework in CAD or other design software. Being strictly for entertainment purposes, HALO map modding software is for the most part a learn on your own endeavor. Otherewise, you must ask questions of others with more experience in areas you don't quite understand yet, especially scripting. Even if you pay good money for books on this subject, such as "The Black Art" manual, it might be somewhat helpful, but is fairly limited in scope.

Some members of this forum have been modding for many years now, while others are probably considered intermediate or novice in their level of knowledge. I consider myself to be an intermediate since I have been doing this for maybe 18 months or so, therefore, I have much still to learn. Anything that I have questions on, I will always try and "pick the brains" of those with expert knowledge in modding.

I have been told over the years that there is no such thing is a stupid question, at least to the person doing the asking. Therefore, continue to mentor and provide help/guidance to those here with less knowledge and experience, and you will gain the respect and appreciation of your peers in this community.

Dennis: Perhaps you should find a way to recognize those who positively contribute to this community on the home page, maybe rankings for mentorship, experience, etc.
Edited by Mysterion on Feb 27, 2010 at 10:13 AM

SuperJustin321

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 02:55 PM    Msg. 15 of 47       
well what if you have the worst comp in the world (ME I HATE IT) and hek will not install on it(TRUST ME I AM A COMPUTER NERD I KNOW ALMOST EVERYTHING ON PC'S [I HATE MACS] AND THERE IS NO WAY AROUND THIS) then is it okay to request???!!!!

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 03:27 PM    Msg. 16 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: SuperJustin321
well what if you have the worst comp in the world (ME I HATE IT) and hek will not install on it(TRUST ME I AM A COMPUTER NERD I KNOW ALMOST EVERYTHING ON PC'S [I HATE MACS] AND THERE IS NO WAY AROUND THIS) then is it okay to request???!!!!

It's always ok to make a request, but if you want it to be done you would have to be more practicle in what you ask for.

Echoes

Im gonna get banned any day now.

Posted: Aug 13, 2010 10:28 PM    Msg. 17 of 47       
I do agree with this, but I have a problem with the way people like you say it. "YOU WILL do this. YOU WILL do that." People like me don't like the way it's like you exhibit some kind of ownership over us. It's JUST A FORUM. You may have some kind of power over us here, dennis, but in real world, there is no banning. Over half the people that feel the same way as I do only break the rule as a way of saying, "You have NO power over me." So if this outlook on the way you say things gets me banned, so be it. But just remember this next time you act like you own us; the more you treat us like your inferiors, telling us what we "WILL" do, more people will break that rule as an act of defiance.

Dennis

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 02:34 AM    Msg. 18 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Echoes
I do agree with this, but I have a problem with the way people like you say it. "YOU WILL do this. YOU WILL do that." People like me don't like the way it's like you exhibit some kind of ownership over us.
I pay for the forum: I own the server it resides on I own the network it is connected to up until it reaches the backbone. The server resides in my place of business therefore when you visit this forum you are visiting the place of my business and as such I have the right and responsibility to set the rules of conduct here. Regardless if you are here physically or virtually.
It's JUST A FORUM. You may have some kind of power over us here, dennis, but in real world, there is no banning.
Grow up this is the real world. You can be ejected, “banned” from a store or a restaurant for unseemly behavior, kept out of places that are private and your rights to participate in this forum extent only as far as I allow.
Over half the people that feel the same way as I do only break the rule as a way of saying, "You have NO power over me."
You break the rules and your posting privileges will be revoked in this forum. I have the absolute power to revoke your visiting rights and can erase all evidence of your existence from the forum in a single click. That is how forums work.
more people will break that rule as an act of defiance.
Only children with no impulse control act that way.

JACK SPARROW

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 02:16 PM    Msg. 19 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: gnademassica117
I do agree with this, but I have a problem with the way people like you say it. "YOU WILL do this. YOU WILL do that." People like me don't like the way it's like you exhibit some kind of ownership over us. It's JUST A FORUM. You may have some kind of power over us here, dennis, but in real world, there is no banning. Over half the people that feel the same way as I do only break the rule as a way of saying, "You have NO power over me." So if this outlook on the way you say things gets me banned, so be it. But just remember this next time you act like you own us; the more you treat us like your inferiors, telling us what we "WILL" do, more people will break that rule as an act of defiance.
Um... It's his forum, he doesn't have to be hosting it, and paying his own money on others, he can just shut all this down if he wants.

His forums, his rules, he doesn't like you? He removes everything to do with you from the forums. If he wanted to, he could go delete 20 random users for no reason, and that would be fine.

TL:Dr: Dennis owns everything. You? Nothing.
i own my brain! *waits 5seconds* mmk now dennis owns that to

Dennis

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 03:27 PM    Msg. 20 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: JACK SPARROW
own my brain! *waits 5seconds* mmk now dennis owns that to
If you don't use them they will be worthless and no one will want them or be willing to pay for their use.

JACK SPARROW

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 05:29 PM    Msg. 21 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: JACK SPARROW
own my brain! *waits 5seconds* mmk now dennis owns that to
If you don't use them they will be worthless and no one will want them or be willing to pay for their use.

no one said there paying for it they just poke it with sticks and stuff i guess

anyway im gona stop posting for awhile again kthxbai

Echoes

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 06:32 PM    Msg. 22 of 47       
Hahahaha gnademassica(insert whatever numbers here) you think I own nothing? *Sarcasm*Ha...yeah I'm sitting on the street and managed to post this with nothing. Ha...yeeeaaaaaa.... You have no idea what I own, gnadehjbmassiftuyaeg.

Dennis

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 07:07 PM    Msg. 23 of 47       
It is a nice day in Burlington isn't it? I believe it is suppose to rain tonight.

ThetianSoldier

Keyboard not found! Press any key to continue...

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 07:10 PM    Msg. 24 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
It is a nice day in Burlington isn't it? I believe it is suppose to rain tonight.

pwned.

Echoes

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 07:10 PM    Msg. 25 of 47       
whoooaaaa...you got my IP? Clever. And Illegal.

ThetianSoldier

Keyboard not found! Press any key to continue...

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 07:12 PM    Msg. 26 of 47       
How can obtaining someone's IP be illegal? You get the IP of a person when you join their game in Halo ffs.

Dennis

Posted: Aug 14, 2010 08:31 PM    Msg. 27 of 47       
whoooaaaa...you got my IP? Clever. And Illegal.
Come on this isn't the real world now is it? Or is it? Not feeling so anonymous anymore?

JACK SPARROW

Posted: Aug 15, 2010 04:22 PM    Msg. 28 of 47       
ohh me next!

GameCreat0r

"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written..."

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 05:59 AM    Msg. 29 of 47       
Oh cmon guys anyone can do that ip trick and since this is dennis forum on a server he controls he has all of our ip's if he looks into all that data. Btw that pickture only shocks me since his house is far better than mine. In my country there's even a google streetvieuw coming up. Meaning you guys can look into my front windows and... too bad you probebly won't see me but mayby one of my partents? naaa no change :P. If I had a way of obtaining dennis IP I could locate him hover he hides inside his own server whitch is probebly just some internet server in some distant facility. No need to try finding my house people nothing intresting to see....

JACK SPARROW

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 03:14 PM    Msg. 30 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Niels
Oh cmon guys anyone can do that ip trick and since this is dennis forum on a server he controls he has all of our ip's if he looks into all that data. Btw that pickture only shocks me since his house is far better than mine. In my country there's even a google streetvieuw coming up. Meaning you guys can look into my front windows and... too bad you probebly won't see me but mayby one of my partents? naaa no change :P. If I had a way of obtaining dennis IP I could locate him hover he hides inside his own server whitch is probebly just some internet server in some distant facility. No need to try finding my house people nothing intresting to see....
except ur collection of... shutting up now

Dennis

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 06:55 PM    Msg. 31 of 47       
anyone can do that ip trick

That is exactly the point. People are not a anonymous as they seem to think.

If I had a way of obtaining dennis IP I could locate him
You have (one of) my IPs everytime you visit the website. Just do a reverse DNS. However you won't actually find my physical location from the IP just where my network connects to the backbone. If you want my physical office location you can vist my wbesite. I am easily found.

Edited by Dennis on Aug 20, 2010 at 06:56 PM

Wolf_

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 07:26 PM    Msg. 32 of 47       
It's not like you're not aware that you are constantly being watched. The paranoia grows on everyone these days, thus the theorys that the gouverments sits in a room somewhere mapping your daily life through watching your internet activity. I doubt they do though. But yeah, why would someone even get on such a silly topic as ip security and rainy days.
Edited by Wolf_ on Aug 20, 2010 at 07:28 PM

Echoes

Posted: Aug 20, 2010 10:55 PM    Msg. 33 of 47       
i see i was mislead, it isnt illegal; nonetheless, I can find any law that could prohibit u from comin over to my house, but ill leave that for u to figure out, so I dont give u any loophole ideas. btw, that aint my house lol. scare tactic fail.

and i wasnt rly planning on being anonymous when i signed up fr this.

Anyway, since someones stalkin me by me IP, I'm gonna go searchin for a forum that isnt filled with stalkers. But ill still be here cuz i still HELP ppl.
Edited by Echoes on Aug 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM

JACK SPARROW

Posted: Aug 31, 2010 09:28 PM    Msg. 34 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Wolf_

It's not like you're not aware that you are constantly being watched. The paranoia grows on everyone these days, thus the theorys that the gouverments sits in a room somewhere mapping your daily life through watching your internet activity. I doubt they do though. But yeah, why would someone even get on such a silly topic as ip security and rainy days.
Edited by Wolf_ on Aug 20, 2010 at 07:28 PM
must delete files....

thx for making me scurred :P

Petera275

Some things just don't work...

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 10:55 AM    Msg. 35 of 47       
I see Dennis has a very efficient way of dealing with trolls.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu April 27, 2017 4:41 PM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website