A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[WIP] IG-BFS PE

Page 1 of 6 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · Next
Author Topic: [WIP] IG-BFS PE (206 messages, Page 1 of 6)
Moderators: Dennis

Dhark

I believe in Dennis Powers

Posted: Feb 19, 2008 11:47 PM    Msg. 1 of 206       
Alright, for those who have been waiting to see the BFS PE, here it is;
As promised (because its my birthday) I have posted it! And seeing this is a WIP and not so much part of the recruitment thread, i seperated them as so.
unfortunately I cannot show the SE just right now, I'd probably recieve a very painful punishment on part of the general halo community if I did; and no I cannot explain why lol xD

For those who think: Damn this thing doesn't looks nasty! In a way I don't really blame you;

BFS as we call it, is a gigantic ship; but not just any! This ship will contain
just about anything and everything that a real ship would and make no mistake; this is not just 1 of those poor excuses for a ship that you may normally see with a box for a door etc etc. This ship will be properly made, textured and populated as best we can. This ship can be walked on the exterior or if you wish you can indulge yourself with the interior which is probably the real highlight for the BFS.
If time smiles on us, we will also include a custom gametype which is very similar to Unreal Tournament's Assault gametype or the CP gametype from Team Fortress 2 or even Battlefield's conquest gametype. Whichever example you prefer most.
Unfortunately this gametype will most likely override CTF.
The gametype is played with red team attempting to control the ship by activating checkpoints across the ship, usually involving pressing a button with the opposite team's colour.
To win you must capture all the points and depending on what the Halo engine allows us to do, is how you will obtain victory.
Depending on what we and the HCE community desires, we may enable the ability for blue team to recapture their lost points.
For those who think they can be smart and go around the initial checkpoint and capture the one behind it, will be in for a surprise, if you wish to capture the other checkpoints, you must capture the ones that are before the desired point.
Seeing that the BFS has two hangers, it may be possible for red team to capture the Secondary Hanger at any time, so keep an eye on the Secondary Hanger for that. (This may not be in place, again depending on the halo engine and general gameplay)
Red's first checkpoint will most likely not be able to be captured while blue's will as it would be unfair for red team who already have several disadvantages.

Weapons will be similar if not the same as IG-WYS_Beta seeing that map contains our standard weapons. Including the nerfed pistol.
Note: Sniper may not see it into the BFS PE seeing that gameplay would suffer tremendously because of the central corridor. Escape grenades will most likely not see their way into the BFS PE for….obvious reasons.

Vehicles will be in the map but I personally do not believe they will not be used much considering the ship’s architecture and the limitations to where the vehicle can actually do; however it is… possible to get the vehicle through the ship; I suggest you try it! >=D

FYI: The first post (in other words this 1) will be constantly edited with updated information / pictures; so there won’t be as much of a need to constantly search thru a thread.

ALSO:
We need the following people:
Someone who can make really good portals
Someone who’s able to make some quick and decent looking models for things like chairs and such
Someone who can texture and/or even do unwraps
Possibly an animator

Will be updated whenever appropiate

And yes we will TRY to get a better name for the map if and when one occurs to us. (That is to those who knows what BFS means xP)
Edited by Dhark on Feb 19, 2008 at 11:48 PM
Edited by Dhark on Feb 20, 2008 at 01:03 AM

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:12 AM    Msg. 2 of 206       
WHAT IS THAT!

becuase its auesome
Edited by Higuy on Feb 20, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Dhark

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:21 AM    Msg. 3 of 206       
when refined and completed, it will be a giant capital ship, like the PoA, only longer, later on I will make a picture comparing the size / length with master chief and the PoA; a few people may get a laugh when they see MC compared with it

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:29 AM    Msg. 4 of 206       
cool

Kiwi

Now you see him, soon you won't

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:31 AM    Msg. 5 of 206       
About the gametype, you might want to leave CTF and replace Race with the planned gametype, race ain't all that popular and the limited vehicle avalibility.

Dhark

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:36 AM    Msg. 6 of 206       
I have considered that, but imo CTF is almost impossible seeing that 3 things will happen:
1) The central corridor will make it incredibly easy to kill the flag carrier, even with the occasional barricade or 2
2) if they get out of shooting range or something, it will be impossible to catch him and will make things rather annoying
3) if the guy were to make it to the vehicle bay; it would almost be impossible to stop him

Also if I were to overwrite race; and knowing that people DO NOT read the readme.txts or map description, they will probably think that the host is flippin mad xP
Also personally I do like race :D

I dunno you tell me your thoughts and Ill think about it. Luckily we haven't quite got to the stage of implementing 'assault' so there is time to think about the smaller details

and ty for your interest higuy, your maps seem to be coming together rather well

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:43 AM    Msg. 7 of 206       
Perhaps a picture of this central corridor would make things a bit easier to see the problems?

Though a possibility is Having it something like this.

_l..l
l.....l
l..l..l
l_...l
..l...l
..l...l

Dunno if it gets the point across... basically small alcoves or something to give you temporary cover?
Edited by Kiwi on Feb 20, 2008 at 12:43 AM
Edited by Kiwi on Feb 20, 2008 at 12:44 AM

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 09:28 AM    Msg. 8 of 206       
it looks kinda low poly for the scale.. yes, it looks nice from this far away view, but its gonna be preaty flat and boxy when your sitting ontop of it.. and your textures look like to small of a detail scale (like a 64x64 version of a warthog texture, just lower quality..) because the shine in that one pic brings that out. You might wana make some scenery things like differt radar dishes to put every 30 feet, and quite afew little automated idle turrets (not driveable)

is it gonna have any interior? because it will start to get dull quite fast if its just that boxy top people are stuck on, but then the other fact, the small hallway a whole differnt section, people get seperated.. this map wont exactly be good for game play either way unless its a all out sniper war (so your gonna have to make some custom weaker long range weapondry, and a few obsticals on the hull, like part of the outer shell lifting up to provide sheilding)

hmm.. unless you put it within a planet orbit, your natrual looking flying vehicles is limited.. because banshees dont exactly look like they are made for space travel (I havnt played H2 or h3, but how can those realy handle space? lol) and timats jets would look wrong.. you'd be left with lifepod and fighterbomber/longsword.

Anyways, good luck.

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:39 AM    Msg. 9 of 206       
I think it stands for 'Big F***Ship'
Do I get cookies?

Dhark

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:56 AM    Msg. 10 of 206       
yea, it stands for big ****ing ship...lol

1) Kirby maybe you really didn't read my original post did u? yes of course it's going to have an interior, and I didnt spend as much time on exterior as i did on interior.
2) low poly count, yup it is; again the focus is interior, exterior is more of a 'bonus'. That and technically the PE is almost a year old. And actually its not that bad playing around ontop of it.
3) texture is not 64 x 64 lol, and thats really just a standard texture until I unwrap it and give it to someone who can properly texture
4) turrets are already on the SE and 'the server' is atempting to put the same ones onto the PE
5) you let me work out the gameplay problems, generally im pretty good fixing stuff like that
6) I'm not sure if i'd really put space fighters and such into the map, maybe more for just fun??
7) snipers would be total BS on this map, i probably wont put them in
8) I kinda forgot to re-uv map the ship after my special modifier, thats why the texture looks a bit funky; the modifier tends to screw with textures like that
9) did i forget something?

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 12:32 PM    Msg. 11 of 206       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dhark
1) Kirby maybe you really didn't read my original post did u? yes of course it's going to have an interior, and I didnt spend as much time on exterior as i did on interior.
3) texture is not 64 x 64 lol, and thats really just a standard texture until I unwrap it and give it to someone who can properly texture

I didnt feel like reading the post at 6:30AM, replying was acualy my way of waking myself up so I could get my homework done

I said it was like using a 64x64 version of the warthog texture on itself with how LQ it looks.

Now.. im in class, so I have to cut this short...

Dhark

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 02:34 PM    Msg. 12 of 206       
yea well, maybe it's low quality because....its an 'x' texture? maybe? xP

as I said in point 3: "thats really just a standard texture until I unwrap it and give it to someone who can properly texture"

HogdriverOneFiveFive

Prodigal Son Returns-Actual Join Date April, 2006.

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 02:56 PM    Msg. 13 of 206       
compare size to
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2675
i think the Asis was kinda fat.
The Citadel Of Quebec is kinda long...
The Draco is a box.

compare please.
Edited by HogdriverOneFiveFive on Feb 20, 2008 at 03:00 PM

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 04:09 PM    Msg. 14 of 206       
Ummm... are you gonna consider small alcoves in the main corridor or no?

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 05:10 PM    Msg. 15 of 206       
Quote: --- Original message by: HogdriverOneFiveFive
compare size to
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2675
i think the Asis was kinda fat.
The Citadel Of Quebec is kinda long...
The Draco is a box.

compare please.
Edited by HogdriverOneFiveFive on Feb 20, 2008 at 03:00 PM

what's funny is that according to bungie's storyline the CoQ should be 3 times smaller than the POA but in game their scale is way off... they adjusted it a bit in Halo 3 but the Halo 2 model is just Bigger than the POA which is why I wonder how you can make a ''complete ship'' without having to make box hallways. Of course it'll need some mighty portalling but even there...it could get very laggy if the chairs and all aren't well optimized....

Can't wait to learn more about it! anyway, this ship looks like a Carrier more than a cruiser or a destroyer( or atleast from what we know as ''Cannon''

Dhark

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 06:47 PM    Msg. 16 of 206       
you are right Opsy, before I made the BFS a proper battleship, i started it out more as a carrier style so I could get an appropiate size. In the later versions it looks much more to a battlship with its 50 cannons (OOOH YEAAAAAH lol)
Interestingly enough if the CoQ is 3 times smaller than the PoA, that makes it a similar size to the AHMF; a flyable capital ship that we are also working on.
'the server' managed to make some portals that seemed to work perfectly on the exterior, and at 1 stage I think he got lucky anhd managed to make perfect portals for the interior as well, there was no video lag on my part. (mind u the extra stuff was not placed in)

Also about your video lag comment Opsy: I'm not too worried about video lag because from what I've seen in the PoA interior's model, 1 section (like a10_a) has far more vertices than what the BFS PE will have. Plus I will ensure that the extra items will be of a lower poly but will still look more than reasonable. Only real problem I constantly see is texturing, we may use the 'bad' texturing method if push comes to shove

Hog driver, if u want me to compare the ships for you, you must send me the models, preferably in an accessible format, .3ds or .max version 8 and below, xfire em to me at igmatlan

Oh and Kiwi I kinda already have the central corridor a little like that, but I should probably fix it some more, thanks for your input.

On a final note I apologize that alot of details on the ship may not be clear from lack of texturing >,< and yes rouge u get ur magic cookie...lol

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 07:42 PM    Msg. 17 of 206       
Other than that, it sort of reminds me of Star Wars super cruisers but yeah, most sections of the POA interior are Too detailed for MP each beeing about 50K polies... If you have xFire, I'd like to talk to you a bit. Just PM your account to me and I'll add you.

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 20, 2008 11:59 PM    Msg. 18 of 206       
When this map comes out Kiwi will have Homeworld by Yes playing.

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 12:23 AM    Msg. 19 of 206       
Quote: --- Original message by: ILLEGALLcheatsMAN
This could be the new "asis" map!

will there be an indoors?

Kiwi hopes not, the map should be finished.

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 12:24 AM    Msg. 20 of 206       
Finally a new asis like project. This community has been wanting something similar to the asis for a very long time. Please keep with this, people who can help sign up i suspect if completed it will be huge. I am so glad someone is making a large ship map again, good luck man.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 05:47 AM    Msg. 21 of 206       
I feel it needs some UNSCing to make it more canonical imo:P

Dhark

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 11:23 AM    Msg. 22 of 206       
oh its not a UNSC ship, its technically not even human lol

Dhark

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 03:06 PM    Msg. 23 of 206       
This is a basic outline of what the BFS SE will have and most of what the PE will have.

STATS FOR BFS SE:
32 anti capital ship missile pods
50 turrets
80 sub turrets
2 directional beam turrets (mining laser integrated)
2 x3 anti armour frontal cannon
2 charge up beam cannon
6 anti multipurpose missile batteries (anti fighter, corvette, frigate class, anti projectile)
1 medium-long range omni sensor
1 super long range detector / directional sensor / radar / communications sensor

1 frigate class construction bay
1 corvette class hanger
1 fighter hanger
1 bridge
1 fire control room
1 maintenance (multi purpose) room
1 engineering section
5 cryotube rooms (contains 50 each)
1 training facility
1 storage room (excessively large)
? supply rooms (there are several)
8-12 armouries
4 med stations
1 observation room
1 bar
1 souvenir room
4 briefing rooms
1 mega briefing room
4 vehicle bays
2 locker rooms
1 reactor room
0 engine room (off bounds)
0 secondary reactor room (engines only, off bounds)
0 missile storage areas (off bounds)
0 ??? room (off bounds)
? secret rooms ( :D )
4-8 mess halls
3 defensive positions (designed to help stop enemies from getting in)
2 spawn areas (you'll see in the PE)
20-40 lifepods
1 waiting area

I'm probably forgetting a few things, will add onto the list if I can remember them; or if they need to be put in

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 04:20 PM    Msg. 24 of 206       
The design was inspired by Homeworld 2 so technically, it's Hiigaaran. Though Hiigaarans are human it's a whole 'nother universe thing.

Though you should have spawn points littered through the ship for Slayer and FFA game types.
Edited by Kiwi on Feb 21, 2008 at 04:21 PM

NapalM

keke

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 04:24 PM    Msg. 25 of 206       
I like the big ****ing gun 999 more. Mind making that next?

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 04:26 PM    Msg. 26 of 206       
BFG 9000 from Doom?

NapalM

keke

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 04:27 PM    Msg. 27 of 206       
yhea, dont you like it?

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 04:29 PM    Msg. 28 of 206       
Not for Halo.

Dhark

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 06:58 PM    Msg. 29 of 206       
I'm not going to really explain the whole backstory for this ship cos I'll be using it elsewhere. Ship isnt forerunner or of any known alien race; its not really of the halo universe in general either. It was found in a dense cloud of dust and corrosive radioactive agents.

To cut things short: the humans got in the thing, and built inside / around it. the BFS PE (not SE) will theoretically be the version in which they used metal plates to cover up the old areas. It may sound like a crude method but the original walls were made of a much more, dense and stronger material than the human's plate covering; even with the extensivly damaged interior.

Spartan 04, even if the PE has not as much stuff as the SE, in no moment have i ever suffered FPS lag in the PE, not even 1 frame loss. And should it ever come to the point in which it'd get laggy. we will MAKE SURE to fix it; do not underestimate us, we are not fools :D
And i ASSURE u, that this ship WILL work, because the PE has most of this stuff, and it works :D

This ship may have a few 'references' to the HW ships, but has nothing to do with them and/or their race.
As for the other gametypes to our custom one, I'll work out someway for them to work so that your scattered across the ship, but close enough so that finding someone is not so....annoying.

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 07:43 PM    Msg. 30 of 206       
Awww.

Donut

I swear I'm not actually dead

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 10:45 PM    Msg. 31 of 206       
so yeah why dont we take an alternate route for some things and consider the maximum distance you can be away from scenery. if the maximum distance is only enough to get a default halo model (just for reference) then make LOD's for stuff. make the lowest LOD a single triangle with a card texture as to reduce lag and save tris. just a suggestion
BFG 9000= fail. we played doom on my school comps for computer class (first fps for alot of people) and my computer teacher whored it..... so i got a bfg and was untouchable. now im not very good at halo, so imagine someone like.... ganon playing with a bfg.... can anyone say +25 kd spread?
Edited by Donut on Feb 21, 2008 at 10:47 PM

Kiwi

Posted: Feb 21, 2008 11:43 PM    Msg. 32 of 206       
+25 K/D spread is nothing, it's all about the ratios. Kiwi agrees with the whole BFG = fail though. It should only be in single player. Though in Halo you can snipe people.

Dhark

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 12:58 AM    Msg. 33 of 206       
don't you worry we'll put other weapons that will be cooler than the BFG, but also the BFG from quake 3 wasnt that bad, it was bs but not as much.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 02:09 AM    Msg. 34 of 206       
Just the 50 lifepods alone would lag... let alone the Cryotubes... Unless you didn't actually put them in or used dubbed down versions.

Can't wait to see it released tho. This could be awesome for RPs..

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Feb 22, 2008 04:21 AM    Msg. 35 of 206       
And what is the way around it?

Besides, why such a weird reply about RPs?
Edited by OpsY on Feb 22, 2008 at 04:26 AM

Page 1 of 6 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed August 12, 2020 2:58 AM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website