A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »I think this community needs a trip down memory lane

Page 1 of 5 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · Next
Author Topic: I think this community needs a trip down memory lane (153 messages, Page 1 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:12 PM    Msg. 1 of 153       
http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=47590

It's about time this community sees what results and discussion led to map protection.

And don't bother posting, unless you read the whole thing.
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 3, 2008 at 08:15 PM

DarkZealot

Time management: 40% Xbox, 30% PC, 30% Skating

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:18 PM    Msg. 2 of 153       
Just because you think it's wrong to use people's tags, doesn't mean others feel the same way.

In fact, Bungie let's us use THEIR tags in the first place. When you protect it, you shield it from Bungie's eyes too (if they play Custom Edition).

It's not stealing, it's hogging. Who cares if someone claims it as their own, someone would just say it wasn't theirs.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:20 PM    Msg. 3 of 153       
I'm guessing you didn't read the thread. Go do it.

Or with your logic, post number 3 should be enough to bogle your mind.
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 3, 2008 at 08:22 PM
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 3, 2008 at 08:22 PM

NapalM

keke

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:22 PM    Msg. 4 of 153       
*Sits down on bean bag and prepares for nightime story*

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:23 PM    Msg. 5 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkZealot
Just because you think it's wrong to use people's tags, doesn't mean others feel the same way.

In fact, Bungie let's us use THEIR tags in the first place. When you protect it, you shield it from Bungie's eyes too (if they play Custom Edition).

It's not stealing, it's hogging. Who cares if someone claims it as their own, someone would just say it wasn't theirs.

HEK was made so people can make maps their own way, and we choose protected.

Bungie didnt let us use all their tags, all the SP tags where missing before HEK+ was released, and the newest version of HEK+ lets us share what we choose to just like bungie did, so since you suport that idea you claimed, you suport us protecting what we want to.

So, your saying if I build a space ship with years of my life, and I tell some random kid he cant go to space with me, thats hogging? no, its my hard effort, I have hte right to tell a random kid no.

NapalM

keke

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:34 PM    Msg. 6 of 153       
THIS is the reason why the HCE community kinda needs a map protector. In other communities, people wont take someone elses work and claim it as thiers. I dont know why the hell people do, either! Because its so goddarn satisfying to see that spiker with a new skin, or a new made up weapon model. I HATE and cannot stress enough how much I hate those who claim others work as thiers, or even put it in thier map, no offence. I mean, why cant you just do it yourself? its more satisfying. Take there words from StealIXB

"I would also like to point out that many games are forced to be open source, yet they have some of the biggest communities around, for example back when I did some C&C Red Alert 2 modding, it was very easy to take someone elses work, yet hardly anyone did for their own respect."

I support both sides, but I dont support taking others work and calling it yours. Kids should learn not to go using others stuff and calling it thiers, but the don't. I learned alot from ripping tags, like how to make crosshairs, and what now.
Edited by __napalm__ on Mar 3, 2008 at 08:39 PM

Kiwi

Now you see him, soon you won't

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:35 PM    Msg. 7 of 153       
Only read up to page 6 so far. Interesting to see the debate, but kinda boring that most are on the same side.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:38 PM    Msg. 8 of 153       
Well I didn't click to the link yet but have read this topic. And it seems you fail to relise that they are not yours.

ThePlague

Steam: jubalearlybh

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:42 PM    Msg. 9 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: __napalm__
THIS is the reason why the HCE community kinda needs a map protector. In other communities, people wont take someone elses work and claim it as thiers. I dont know why the hell people do, either! Because its so goddarn satisfying to see that spiker with a new skin, or a new made up weapon model. I HATE and cannot stress enough how much I hate those who claim others work as thiers, or even put it in thier map, no offence. I mean, why cant you just do it yourself? its more satisfying. Take there words from StealIXB

"I would also like to point out that many games are forced to be open source, yet they have some of the biggest communities around, for example back when I did some C&C Red Alert 2 modding, it was very easy to take someone elses work, yet hardly anyone did for their own respect."

So do it yourself.
I somewhat Agree and Disagree

People that take other people's work and call it theirs is not good, what makes me mad is if someone takes a year to make a weapon, animate it, make the tags, and get it in-game and another person takes the work and tells everyone that he did everything and gives no credit whatsoever is bad.

But if you do use the person's things that he made and give credit to them, then you will be happy with cool tags and the other person will be happy for them getting credit.

So to me open sourcing is good as long as you don't take credit for what you made.

And a little off topic; I thought that the gbx forums were down forever

Dhark

I believe in Dennis Powers

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:49 PM    Msg. 10 of 153       
woah this topic shur got popular real quick =/ (AGAIN)

ALD_KaiZei

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:56 PM    Msg. 11 of 153       
Quote: I'm guessing you didn't read the thread. Go do it.

Or with your logic, post number 3 should be enough to bogle your mind.

Hmm, Interesting I read Post Number 3 and this is the first thing i saw i saw was this:

Quote: M4573R51337
banned

Interesting?

XD

But Seriously, Masterz YOU YOURSELF said:

Quote: If you REALY care bout CE, then you would support open sourcing.

i Read to page 3 and got bored of 3 people argueing over the same thing, then the argument would start again..

seriously, come on.. its..A..GAME!!!! ITS POINTLESS FOR SOMEONE TO GO "These Pixels are mine so GT*O!" ...

~KZ
Edited by ALD_KaiZei on Mar 3, 2008 at 09:00 PM
Edited by ALD_KaiZei on Mar 4, 2008 at 10:53 AM

DarkZealot

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 08:59 PM    Msg. 12 of 153       
Gearbox did the right thing to ban him.

And KaiZei, your post makes more sense then any of these idiots' posts.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:00 PM    Msg. 13 of 153       
Ok I am posting my honest opinion. Mapping teams should open source thier tags after the team is done with them, I mean the only reason mapping teams dont give out there weapons is beacuase they want to be well known. Now who among us remebers a certain person becuase they made "a awesome new shotgun"? I think mapping teams like CMT and zteam should in fact release their old tags once they are done with them.Now if these people put pink flowers all over your weapons why should you care "ohh I put my ass into those tags", that is an excuse. This will benifit the comuity becuase people will know how these well done tags are set up.

Now what about the people who claim that work as his, well people do that already and still we find out that they didnt do it. You should be proud, becuase people obiously think that they will get very popular by claiming to have created your work.

Now chosing to protect tags is all up to you and you should respect that

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:03 PM    Msg. 14 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: ALD_KaiZei

Yes, thats the big point. When people are newbs they want everyone else things, but if that same person goes on threw time and becomes smart, they realize the logic of the situation, and realize the stupidity of it and how their ex-plans are illogical.

ThePlague

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:07 PM    Msg. 15 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: ILLEGALLcheatsMAN
Why does Our community post such mods in bad tastes while most other communities post much better quality?
Mostly because people here aren't as mature as their community.

People that play HL2 are more mature because that game has been out longer then halo has, meaning that people can get more involved with it.

People that have been or just have been playing Halo aren't as mature because most people that play it are 13 year olds that haven't yet seen that world outside their little minds.(no offense to 13 year olds but they haven't lived their life long enough to understand or comprehend most things)

Half Life 2 also has a newer and better engine devote to modding, while Halo wasn't made for modding because the people that made the programs for which to mod were people like us, who intended to make the game more fun.

Modding games makes the gameplay better as long as people don't abuse it. Dennis made this site because he wanted to bring Halo CE and the people that mod it together, creating a better game and more fun gameplay. Also it keeps the game alive.

So my point to this is that modding games is good as long as you don't abuse it by doing stuff like taking things that aren't yours and using them badly. And the Half Life 2 engine is better and more advanced then the Halo engine.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:09 PM    Msg. 16 of 153       
Thanks for not promoting half-life in that post

ALD_KaiZei

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:10 PM    Msg. 17 of 153       
Quote: Yes, thats the big point. When people are newbs they want everyone else things, but if that same person goes on threw time and becomes smart, they realize the logic of the situation, and realize the stupidity of it and how their ex-plans are illogical.

That Makes Sence. But alot of people Learn by looking at other peoples work. and how you can program things.

For example:
I wanted to make a Script, and someone gave me one they had used before. So i learned, and edited it to the way i needed it ...

it seems like only complete idiots would go. "o im gunna rip cmt snow grove and recompile it with out doing anything to it and rename it "NOOBCAKE Snow Grove FTW"

XD

I'm not saying people dont do that, but the majority doesnt.
And besides, some people are better at Modeling/Texturing/ect.. others are better at compiling all those sweet tags into a pwnage map? You cant my drift?
Edited by ALD_KaiZei on Mar 3, 2008 at 09:16 PM

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:12 PM    Msg. 18 of 153       
^This man is composed of Win

aklass

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:13 PM    Msg. 19 of 153       
I agree with steel the CE community is dying there isn't much more we can do the engine is getting old and has reached it's limits. the best we can do to help the community is open source tags which will help "newbs" heck we aren't getting younger we need to help the next generation and keep ce alive. Why have a cake if theres no one to share it with?

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:13 PM    Msg. 20 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422

Yes, thats the big point. When people are newbs they want everyone else things, but if that same person goes on threw time and becomes smart, they realize the logic of the situation, and realize the stupidity of it and how their ex-plans are illogical.

My point wasn't really that. I had the HEK+ (then called HTC). My point was that I was wrong, and that back then I stuck up for all the members here who want it open sourced.

As for the other comments regarding my banning, Gearbox didn't ban me, a moderator did. The moderator was then later demoted after similar incidents.

Quote: Yes, thats the big point. When people are newbs they want everyone else things, but if that same person goes on threw time and becomes smart, they realize the logic of the situation, and realize the stupidity of it and how their ex-plans are illogical.

That Makes Sence. But alot of people Learn by looking at other peoples work. and how you can program things.

For example:
I wanted to make a Script, and someone gave me one they had used before. So i learned, and edited it to the way i needed it ...

it seems like only complete idiots would go. "o im gunna rip smt snow grove and recompile it with out doing anything to it and rename it "NOOBCAKE Snow Grove FTW"

XD

I'm not saying people dont do that, but the majority doesnt.
And besides, some people are better at Modeling/Texturing/ect.. others are better at compiling all those sweet tags into a pwnage map? You cant my drift?

On the contrary, more people want to tag the tags and stick them in a map, than learn from them.
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 3, 2008 at 09:16 PM

ThePlague

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:14 PM    Msg. 21 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: CLS_GRUNT
Thanks for not promoting half-life in that post
Uhh what?

I did but just didn't exactly say Half Life, people know that Half Life 2 had to start from Half Life.

And I think what cheatsman is thinking, people should have their maps not protected, as long as people don't use them without giving credit to the origional creators.

And Dark Zelot shouldn't release that unprotector unless he is trying to destroy this community.

NapalM

keke

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:15 PM    Msg. 22 of 153       
haw bot we make a new heck+ :-)

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:15 PM    Msg. 23 of 153       
Zelot never made one :|

Rm860

Dennis sleeps like this!

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:16 PM    Msg. 24 of 153       
Memory lane..i don't think so.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:16 PM    Msg. 25 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: __napalm__
haw bot we make a new heck+ :-)

Oh yeah, screw Halo up even more. What do you plan to make it like?

ThePlague

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:18 PM    Msg. 26 of 153       
Actually he did, I got a copy from anonomous

I won't use it though because I know what it will do to the community, and how bad it is as a program.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:22 PM    Msg. 27 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: ILLEGALLcheatsMAN
I have mistaken the community, a map protector will KILL the community, Darkzealot, at least put some restrictions on that weapon of mass destruction, for the sake of the community.

Typo? You mean unprotector?

Quote: --- Original message by: selentic
Quote: --- Original message by: H4Z4RD

I won't use it though because I know what it will do to the community, and how bad it is as a program.

Ill just use the failsafe, and name all my maps CMT_ something

Simple hex editing will bypass that protection. Also, everyone will think that CMT made your maps, and I don't want that.
Edited by Masters1337 on Mar 3, 2008 at 09:24 PM

DarkZealot

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:25 PM    Msg. 28 of 153       
I swear, I need this crap in my life like I need a bullet in my head.

The unprotector is GONE, I DESTROYED it. So stop talking about it and GIVE ME A DAMN REST!

ThePlague

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:26 PM    Msg. 29 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: selentic
Quote: --- Original message by: H4Z4RD

Ill just use the failsafe, and name all my maps CMT_ something
Don't worry about the unprotector, I trashed it and it is gone from my computer forever.

I was just saying that there was one, it did work, and it would destroy the community if it was released.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:27 PM    Msg. 30 of 153       
Zealot I recomend you get a new username or else people will be giving you crap about this forever

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:28 PM    Msg. 31 of 153       
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkZealot
I swear, I need this crap in my life like I need a bullet in my head.

The unprotector is GONE, I DESTROYED it. So stop talking about it and GIVE ME A DAMN REST!

If you're telling the truth you need to track down those who have that and get them to destoy it.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:29 PM    Msg. 32 of 153       
Prove it or it didn't have it and your just a liar.

SiMuLaCrUm

too digital

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:29 PM    Msg. 33 of 153       
People only protect their maps so that their tags do not get mis-used. Simple as that. Sure it is unfair, but guess what, neither is life.

ALD_KaiZei

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:29 PM    Msg. 34 of 153       
Quote: Zealot I recomend you get a new username or else people will be giving you crap about this forever

Or People could just.. st*u and move on and stop bugging him..

omg i think of the best ideas some times
i know, i know, im awsome
Edited by ALD_KaiZei on Mar 3, 2008 at 09:32 PM

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Mar 3, 2008 09:30 PM    Msg. 35 of 153       
Read my post sim

Page 1 of 5 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 16, 2019 5:01 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website