A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Map creation stuff... [Team maybe?]

Author Topic: Map creation stuff... [Team maybe?] (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

MF Boom

I am the bone of my sword...

Posted: May 4, 2008 06:53 PM    Msg. 1 of 4       
So... I randomly returned to the Halo scene for the second time. I disappeared in May from Halo for several months, to return in January, and then disappeared just a week later from when I returned, and hey look, I'm back again. ... None of you remember me though.

Okay, so, to explain what this topic is about. I'm not only returning to -playing- Halo, but actually developing maps, as I never really did get around to finishing one. ... I kinda lost all the scenarios and models of the ones I was working on in the first place.

My brother, Max, if you remember him, has no internet access, so I can't look to him right now. As soon as he gets his internet back up, I already know he's going to be part of the team. And he has all the scenarios we ever made anyway, so yeah...

To explain further: Instead of trying to create and design maps all on my own, which takes a lot of time, patience, effort, creativity, and ingenuity, -- most of which I don't have a lot of, -- I decided that it would just make more sense to form a team. The only reason I wouldn't join one is because I do want to work on something that is partially of my idea, but still have others contribute and say they helped to design 'this map'.

Plus, I kind of want to make some of the maps already made, -- not like, someone else's idea, stealing it and redoing it myself, -- but maps like Lockout [which was never completed perfectly], Midship, The Narrows, The Pit, stuff like that... I really think the new Blackout would be great. But of course, all of these would require good detail and memory of the actual maps... Or someone who has a photographic memory and can design to scale from images.

Any original map would require creativity, ingenuity, and just enough intellect to know if it would be evened out for any kind of match, any amount of players... If it had even a couple spots that gave one team advantage, it'd be a little unfair to the other. So it'd need design and have someone with enough noticeability to detect any flaws...

This sounds pretty advanced, but in truth, it's really not. All I'm asking is this:

Anyone who can look at maps, and creative similar textures in Photoshop or a high-quality program, I could use your help.
Scripters who can create at least a decently working gravlift or trigger volumes, you'd be extremely helpful if you assisted me.
Advanced modelers, I could use your help, even if you just give me some tips and advice on how to model better.
Tagging and modeling I can do most of myself, but would extremely appreciate any assistance given.

If anyone is willing to help, you can contact me several ways. Messages on here, reply to the topic, message me on Xfire [mfboom], on MSN [toxic.koala@live.com], on Yahoo [toxic.koala], on GMail [the1337b.mb@gmail.com], or find me playing Halo as TxKl.

Thanks.

And just to note now, if this does go through, the first map I'd love to try to make is Blackout; But I suppose it would probably be better to make Lockout first, since it was the first one, and noone ever made it properly.

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: May 5, 2008 03:23 AM    Msg. 2 of 4       
I remember you being here, along with max. I'll help out. I can make maps and my modeling is improving. I also like to remake maps. Just add me to xfire "nexushalo".

Max

Goodbye for a lifetime

Posted: May 11, 2008 04:01 AM    Msg. 3 of 4       
Yeah.. I'll help out. I can do some, probably can't test anything out. Because this wireless thing is a temporary solution. And we already know trying to play Halo on wireless just doesn't work. Plus, from my room I only get a two bar signal, so it'll lag. So, as soon as I either move, or get better service. I'll be able to test some stuff, multi-player wise anyway.

MF Boom

I am the bone of my sword...

Posted: May 19, 2008 11:56 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Ja. First things first, I've been focusing on messing with Halo 3, just to see the arrangement of the maps. Foundry is so awesome to mess with in Forge... But, Lockout is still one of my first priorities, though Blackout will be easier simply because it's not embedded into a wall of ice. The sky would be the tough part, unless anyone can replicate that. Another map I would absolutely love to recreate is Rat's Nest. After playing that a few times, I really adore indoor maps as it is, so that would be a pretty great map for CE. It's not ber large, but it supports vehicles. We already have Ghosts, Mongooses, und Warthogs in CE in the first place, so it's not a challenge. The only thing it'd be missing is the Equipment... Und I don't think we could really embed that into CE, unfortunately. But everything else would be fine. We could get the turret, it just wouldn't be detachable... The level itself is great. Und, yet another map that I'd love to work on, would be Guardian. It's very small, and only 3 gravlifts in the first place. The layout is very basic, und the design und structure aren't massively complicated. We couldn't have a hammer in there, because it wouldn't work very well, but that's okay. Everything else would work perfectly, except the ability to dual-wield. Which would slightly ruin my dual plasma pistols, und mauler/spiker combo, but that's okay.

Right now, I have to actually fix my schedule, und then I can finally get to working on some of this. I could use a few more people to assist in modeling specifically, because that's really not my strong point. I can do tagging und stuff in Sapien just fine. I've designed my own maps really well in Forge, because it's just easy und all. But I can't model very well at all, so that's where I need some help. Any modelers who can help, will of course, be listed in the Credits, und allowed to design their own little secret room. (I think all of our teams maps should have 1 secret room; A room that just displays all the people who made it, und some little scrolling TV that displays how long it took us to make it, what we put into it, und the backstory... That'd be really awesome.) Anyone else who can assist with scripting, und even be willing to test, would be ber helpful.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 8:28 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website