A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP]

Page 365 of 371 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 362 · 363 · 364 · [365] · 366 · 367 · 368 · ... · 371 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] (12964 messages, Page 365 of 371)
Moderators: Dennis

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Feb 4, 2016 06:03 PM    Msg. 12741 of 12964       
I don't understand why the object is cut in so many parts for the whole gun, for the handle, the magazine recevier and the two parts of the top. In the way I use to make lowpolies (direct polygon reduction), it's very annoying, and causes to have many edges that are placed near strong angles and look bad when baking. It also complexifies the UVW mapping.
Your control looks may also not always be exactly the same and be noticeable in the final results, depending on the resolution it's baked at.
I see some things that looks like floating geometry again (red part). Make sure to make them a separate object so that you can disable shadow casting when BAKING SHADOWS. I gave up on your DMR because it was too tedious finding all of them, so apply that for the sights if you have some.

This looks overall easier for projection though, and a very nice model.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 02:05 AM    Msg. 12742 of 12964       
Looking great flanker, can't wait to see more.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 04:19 AM    Msg. 12743 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
I don't understand why the object is cut in so many parts for the whole gun, for the handle, the magazine recevier and the two parts of the top. In the way I use to make lowpolies (direct polygon reduction), it's very annoying, and causes to have many edges that are placed near strong angles and look bad when baking. It also complexifies the UVW mapping.
Your control looks may also not always be exactly the same and be noticeable in the final results, depending on the resolution it's baked at.
I see some things that looks like floating geometry again (red part). Make sure to make them a separate object so that you can disable shadow casting when BAKING SHADOWS. I gave up on your DMR because it was too tedious finding all of them, so apply that for the sights if you have some.

This looks overall easier for projection though, and a very nice model.

Decent observations and good questions so I'll try to answer them as best I can.

1. The gun is cut into so many parts for two reasons.

A) The intent for my design is modularity. I want to be able to swap out parts with ease and I would like consumers to be able to do the same also.

If I had fused portions of the rifle together into fewer elements as you have suggested this would make it significantly harder and probably impossible to remove and replace mesh pieces in the way I would prefer.

B) The variety of elements reflect the reference it's self and how I percieve the gun would be put together in real life. Now it can be argued that no rifle in the future would have so many different parts which might be true and even if it is I would counter with my strict adhereance to how the artist has portrayed the object in question.

TLDR I just moddeled what I saw based upon the seams seen within the image source which sean has posted.

2. I will concur that my style does indeed promote a heavier workload specifically when it comes to reducing the density of the model into a game acceptable form, it also promotes more time to be spent on unwrapping and as you have also mentioned unnecessarily complexifies the baking process.

A) If your going down the route of using the high res mesh as a base for your low poly then I reccommend as I have done a few posts prior to instead invest in poly drawing your lp mesh. You could also use vert snapping to effectively trace over your hp mesh whilst ignoring the various crease loops and focusing more on the element boundries of your object.

Tbh stunt man is the only other guy I know of who uses snapping.

B) The above will constitute in easier uving and baking processes. However I feel I should mention that projection baking whilst pretty common is more or less backwards IMAO in todays day and age. Personally I am a fan of baking using naming conventions which is wonderfully simple and removes the need to explode your bakes so as to avoit interpenetrating artefacts. Its slighlty simple to max's "hit only matching mat id" option with the RTT which basically allows tp set different material id's to your object which the baker will interpret as what to cast rays on and what not to.

I'm not sure what you mean by "control looks" so I can't respond to this claim, could you elaborate further?

3. Their are no floaters in my model I highly despise their use due to the interferance they produce in renders utilizing occlusion.

4. The HBR was really my first rushed attempt at creating an model from 1 exclusive low res mesh. In hind sight I would not have incorporated such a wealth of floating geo. However I should mention that my partial intention for the floaters was exclusively to add depth to the high res model in a fast and easy way.

I'd also like to apologize for the grief my work may have given you but the model it's self was not a total loss as I was able to create a successful low poly & bake for (sbb)burney if memory serves.

And I feel I should mention that immediatetly after the production of the M280 I reviewed my workings and summarized that future 3d creations of my own design would incorporate little or no floaters whatsoever, Something which I implemented directly onto the successor to the HBR, the QR762 which if you are eligible to download you'll take note that it utilizes no floating geo what so ever the exception being the the rear sight which uses two very simple semi-spheres created to form the impression of night sight aids.

5. If it would be of any use to you we could compare our workflows and the techniques we use so as to ease the interoperability of our files and thus create a shared pipeline.

I appreciate the positive feedback however I am still lacking in the suggestion department so if any one has any notes on how to advance the project please post!

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Feb 5, 2016 04:12 PM    Msg. 12744 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

I'm not sure what you mean by "control looks" so I can't respond to this claim, could you elaborate further?

Its slighlty simple to max's "hit only matching mat id" option with the RTT which basically allows tp set different material id's to your object which the baker will interpret as what to cast rays on and what not to.

I meant control loops. The loops around an angle to control the falloff of the smoothing.

I wasn't aware of the hit matching id D: I'll look into that.

As for suggestions, I have no real idea actually. but IMO the MA5 series are more made of bold shapes, so maybe make the attachements parts ending under or on the sides of the rails to make the attachement tougher. Otherwise it looks already completed. You could also maybe look into more boxy shapes

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 01:49 AM    Msg. 12745 of 12964       
would it be possible to make your AR work with conventional mags as opposed to bullpup with how its split?

Concept art: (I already know everything else can probably be done)

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 01:54 AM    Msg. 12746 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
would it be possible to make your AR work with conventional mags as opposed to bullpup with how its split?

http://i.imgur.com/TvtI9n6.jpg

Oh god, do you understand how stocks work at all?

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 02:30 AM    Msg. 12747 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925

I didnt draw the concept art.

Kinnet

FeelsGoodMan

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 02:40 AM    Msg. 12748 of 12964       
Pretty cool, but I'm not getting a "modularity" vibe so much as "attachments galore"
Personally, modularity would involve changes to the functionality of the weapon, for example, different barrels for different things, maybe have it capable of dual chambering assault rounds and full cartridge rounds (DMR/BR functionality) with a double mag well (one that supports a longer narrower BR mag, and a shorter wide AR mag) or something?

I quite enjoy the actual design of it though, and it could use some more attachments. I.E. Suppressor, open sight, AN/PEQ box (unless that one thing already has that function?) undermounted swag al la GL/SG, fancy stuff like heartbeat sensor and other random junk from that one game. Just some ideas.

Awesome thanks for the response and Ideas. I already have a 2 suppressors made, (I'll show them off later) and I'm planning to make a few flip up sights or something of that nature.

A GL doesn't sound like half a bad idea but Idea but eh.....I don't know it's already been done to death and so has the sg. Dual Mag support is something I might want to implement though.

Heartbeat sensor doesn't feel practical at all imao. Spartans and odst's already have the functionality built into their respective visrs, as for marines.....pretty sure those eye pieces do something trackerish and tbh I don't want to much stuff clouding up the silhouette.

Quote: --- Original message by: t3h m00kz
get that thing into unreal engine bro dew it

Sorry mookie I don't use unreal. Never even installed it......(don't rek me plse)

Could we see how the model is subdivided with different color of objects ?

Sure minus the attachments because that would take too long.

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/370636ma6ecolour2.jpg
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/556337ma6ecolour4.jpg

So updates.

Apologies for dropping off the radar but I was sorta sick and actually still kinda so.....yeah.....I don't enjoy sneezing and vomiting all over my keyboard.

Anyway I decided to reiterate the magnifier/scope or whatever it is:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/936470ma6emagnifiernew2.jpg
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/735978ma6emagnifiernew1.jpg
http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/215314ma6emagnifiernew.jpg

Apart from that there has not been many other 'major' changes.

The next part which I am going to dedicate my self to will be the EOSight depicted here:

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/230280chartthing.jpg
Now I should mention that I've considered completely overriding the artists decision to implement a holo sight into the setup predominantly due to the fact that I have re-iterated this piece 5 times already and each time I've summarized that it's garbage and screws up the silhouette and the fp view.

To give you an idea here is an image of a blockout I made a while a go just to see how all the parts of the gun would correlate together.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/899885ma6eblockout1.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/719604ma6eblockout2.jpg

So as you should be able to make out the holo eo sight which just screws up the flow imo. Personally I don't feel that any design would make sense in this spot any more or maybe I'm just too exhausted at looking at the reference? Whatever the case I'd like to know your opinions on what would work, how it would work and why.

So yeah ideas please! I live for them.

Did you ever get any of your weapon models ingame??

DaLode

Ho ho hooooly doodle!

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 06:50 AM    Msg. 12749 of 12964       
Super Flanker, when will you be moving to UE4 #bestEnjin?
I also like your modular approach to weapon modeling!

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 08:30 AM    Msg. 12750 of 12964       
I meant control loops. The loops around an angle to control the falloff of the smoothing.

I wasn't aware of the hit matching id D: I'll look into that.

As for suggestions, I have no real idea actually. but IMO the MA5 series are more made of bold shapes, so maybe make the attachements parts ending under or on the sides of the rails to make the attachement tougher. Otherwise it looks already completed. You could also maybe look into more boxy shapes

Ah control loops. (I actually refer to them erroneously as crease edges.) Again the M280 was not my finest attempt though I find it unusual that the distance between boundry edges and control edges was so infrequent! (Overuse of trying to swift loop like a pro me thinks)

The material Id option is pretty neat I've tested it but never really found a decent excuse to incorporate it within my own personal pipeline since I am so used to exploding bakes.

But it is pretty simple to figure out, simply add multi-materials to the meshes/elements in your scene which intersect with each other either by use of a multi-sub-obj or just lots of standard shader slots. (hit x in the mat editor to cycle your slots in order to view more, or just use the slate material editor) Then your pretty much just need to setup your projection and make sure to check the MAT ID in RTT's projection options:)

Thank you for the suggestions, quite often I find that bold shapes when used in a singular manner can enhance the look of your silhouette however you usually need to find a key location to place this specific type of shape or else overuse can just make everything look like it's fighting for visual domination.

Forgive me but I'm unsure what you wish to convey, do you mean to imply additional variations of the magazine itself? Or a complete removal of the bullpup configuration in favour of a conventional layout? (magazine ahead of the trigger)

If your intention was to signify alternate magazines I have an Ak mag which in some respects matches the m16'ish bullet storage depicted within your concept art:

/\ Before, After \/

(lol it's like an fn f2000)

If you meant the second option then the answer to that is probably not, I am not the most clued up when comes to guns so skidrow or echo maybe able to diagnose your request much more deeply than I but on first impressions the charging handle and the magwell would need to be brought forward ahead of the trigger shortening the underside rail, the ejection port would also require a relocation rendering the butt end of the gun virtually obsolete so that too would somehow require a nip and tuck to diffuse the then devoid space. Adding to this the barrel cover, barrel itself & the hand guard would need to be pushed forwards to allow greater comfort for the operator and to allow for grater precision.

IMO Opinion it's far easier to start your design with the intention of converting a conventional layout into a bullpup config as opposed to vice-versa. Look what Radon did with the MSBS:

Design revisions are also successful providing you start with conventional as your base:

I bet the mc could use it off hand with one arm. Him or chuck norris. :D

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
Did you ever get any of your weapon models ingame??

(Please refrain from quoting the entirety of my posts especially the lengthy ones)

Sure but usually only models which were created exclusively in Lowpoly much like the gamedev culture of 2003, I remember having a mac-10 a shotgun of some kind (might have been a mossberg) and a ump.45.

In fact I still have the ump.45, it has custom animations, custom particle fx, a texture which I made in gimp and it totally only took me 4 months to create a few years back:

Huge thanms to Yoda (ncc-1701- moddb) my mentor for his incredibly helpful tips and troubleshooting, without him I would not be here)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/598848umpflnkr.png
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/298987umpflnkr2.png
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/179951umpflnkr3.png
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/120032umpflnkr4.png
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/134790umpflnkr5.png

I never bothered to up the bitmap compression in guerilla and my halo window is always offset idk why something to do with the pressing the windows key at the wrong time.

a non-bullpup rifle in Halo?
unbelievable

Shhhh-nobody-tell-him-about-the-HBR

Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
Super Flanker, when will you be moving to UE4 #bestEnjin?
I also like your modular approach to weapon modeling!

Thanks dalode, your consistent support is a real confidence booster.

Unfortunately no I do not think I may be moving to UE4, personally I don't have UE4 installed!

I can imagine you sitting at your monitor right now completely aghast, in fact you maybe thinking:

"bro how are you still alive???!!!"

But my motives aren't pure lazyness, my pc specs generally suck and I don't have much if any time for anything other than a few hours of video games and modelling during the weekends.

However my designs are more or less intended for use within modern game engines and OS Halo.(normal map support)

Maybe I should get a pc with more gamedev competence

Back to design inspirations:

I really approve of most of these destiny devices specifically these optics:

Decent references on the other hand are hard to come by, d2oes any one here own destiny and would they be willing to take close up screen shots of the optical devices above inside theatre mode or something? It would be of great benefit to me! And not to mention the MAWS.

Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 6, 2016 at 02:25 PM
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 6, 2016 at 02:29 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 04:27 PM    Msg. 12751 of 12964       

Quote: my specs suck

are you on a laptop or a desktop?

if the latter,

1. install this
2. screenshot
3. show us that fizznucking shizznit

it'll show something like this

http://puu.sh/mYjad/dd68cd0b35.png
Edited by t3h m00kz on Feb 6, 2016 at 03:58 PM

Sorry mookie by shizznucker is stuck between a render but I know my source of depression inside out so brace your self for the specs to end all specs:

APU: AMD 4555M 1.6ghz quad core.
Graphics: 7600g
RAM: 8gb

It does have touchscreen though. Though I've yet to find a practical use for it.
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 6, 2016 at 04:30 PM

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 05:05 PM    Msg. 12752 of 12964       

if the latter,

1. install this
2. screenshot

Sorry mookie by shizznucker is stuck between a render but I know my source of depression inside out so brace your self for the specs to end all specs:

It does have touchscreen though. Though I've yet to find a practical use for it.

How about this:
AMD E1-1200 1.4GHz dual core
Graphics: Nome
RAM: 4GB

It can't play higher than 720p at all, and is as of late struggling with higher than 240p. And that's saved video. YouTube? Not gonna happen. Ever.

But that's why I loved together a tower.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 05:24 PM    Msg. 12753 of 12964       

if the latter,

1. install this
2. screenshot

How about this:

It can't play higher than 720p at all, and is as of late struggling with higher than 240p. And that's saved video. YouTube? Not gonna happen. Ever.

Nice try mister 3 monitors.

I take it then no one here has destiny?or the means to capture images via a capture card?

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 05:34 PM    Msg. 12754 of 12964       

if the latter,

1. install this
2. screenshot

How about this:

Nice try mister 3 monitors.

I take it then no one here has destiny?or the means to capture images via a capture card?

3 monitors? What do you take me for? I use four. Granted the edit machine has 3 monitors but I don't use that one. I use four. I do however have a laptop that I just described. Well, technically its a notebook not a laptop. It's a few years old.

R93 can confirm.

Main machine features a
CPU: AMD 1090T BE (slight OC till I get an actual water cooler)
GPU: Asus R9 270x (soon to be either 2 or 4, depends on what I can scavenge for PSU)
RAM: 2x2+2x4 (gonna grab some 4x8)
Monitor (haHA!): 3xAsus VE208T and some random other monitor. VSR capable to 2k

But laptop tho.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 6, 2016 07:15 PM    Msg. 12755 of 12964       
Flanker, there's a whole site to get destiny ripz

http://www.destinystlgenerator.com

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 12:30 PM    Msg. 12756 of 12964       
MAWS TINY UPDATE

Modelled a holo sight of my liking roughly based upon this reference.

-Holo Sight Topography-

Attachment consists of 2 mesh pieces, (protective shell+holo system) W/no floaters:

-Suppressors- (Ideas/requests welcome)

Pretty much all I have for you today :(

Next I am looking to expand upon the cowling piece which feels very "iffy" and "hodgepodge".
I've cemented a few model block-ins but nothing is concrete, mainly my focus is to play with the endless amount of ideas and possibilities which I am hoping you can help me with:

"Convertible cowling" - Obstructs real time ADS.

"Bones of a dead project" - Needs more attenuation to mount points, barrel may require lifting.

Suggestions/Ideas/IHATETHIS/ all are welcome! Notify anyone you think may be of any help to this project and spam these images to anyone you know who works at bungie or 343i.

(After all this is your reward halomaps, would you not attempt to enlarge it?)

Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 12, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 12, 2016 at 12:38 PM

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 12:53 PM    Msg. 12757 of 12964       
Looks like a great bigassv3 DLC

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 02:23 PM    Msg. 12758 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94

Funded by VKMT and Project: Dreamweb.

@Flanker I think you should also entertain the idea of barrel switches and maybe a modification system for the lower (allow BR mags/ammo in for modifying the setup slightly)

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 06:07 PM    Msg. 12759 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

There goes part of our march reveal :l

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 07:14 AM    Msg. 12760 of 12964       

@Flanker I think you should also entertain the idea of barrel switches and maybe a modification system for the lower (allow BR mags/ammo in for modifying the setup slightly)

Rather annoyingly I have just realized that the stock barrel currently in my scene is scaled to 7.62x54 calibre when infact it should be rated for 7.62x51mm rounds which is what I intended it to shoot! (in fairness ammo charts are quite complicated)

Whilst I'm fixing meh tubes I may as well create a 9.5x40mm compatible version along with a modified receiver to accommodate BR55 magazines.

Any other requests or ideas?
Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 13, 2016 at 02:21 PM

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 10:56 AM    Msg. 12761 of 12964       

Rather annoyingly I have just realized that the stock barrel currently in my scene is scaled to 7.62x54 calibre when infact it should be rated for 7.62x51mm rounds which is what I intended it to shoot! (in fairness ammo charts are quite <a href="http://sub-silentsuppressors.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Complete-Rifle-Ammunition-Guide-Comparisom.jpgcomplex[/url" target="_blank">)

Whilst I'm fixing meh tubes I may as well create a 9.5x40mm compatible version along with a modified receiver to accommodate BR55 magazines.

Any other requests or ideas?

.30cal is .30cal is .30cal. Length of cartridge affects your chamber not your barrel.

You should see if .45 and .50 cal barrels can fit. Varying barrel lengths are always fun.

tillice

\_(ツ)_/

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 02:11 PM    Msg. 12762 of 12964       
a WIP model of the ma5k, which is a mashup between the h4 ar, and the battle rifle variant 7 from halo online build MS30. (also known as h2a br)

more render pics
http://imgur.com/35WMX9E,2ksxS1s,Ou2KDkc
Edited by tillice on Feb 13, 2016 at 05:13 PM

altis94

Join my Discord https://discord.gg/GDVEaRD

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 04:22 PM    Msg. 12763 of 12964       
Neat.

tillice

\_(ツ)_/

Posted: Feb 13, 2016 04:38 PM    Msg. 12764 of 12964       
Neat.

thanks, i dont really know what to do with it just yet though. as i have earlier experience with hce, but i do hope i can get something nice out of it

OHunterO

Posted: Feb 15, 2016 03:10 PM    Msg. 12765 of 12964       
Super Flanker:

You should really have as many loops connect back up as possible instead of ending them in a bunch like around the cylinders on the side. It's symmetrical so connect them to each other.

You want as little triangles as possible when sub'd modelling.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 16, 2016 07:34 AM    Msg. 12766 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: OHunterO
Super Flanker:
http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/931220ma6eholo5.jpg

You should really have as many loops connect back up as possible instead of ending them in a bunch like around the cylinders on the side. It's symmetrical so connect them to each other.

You want as little triangles as possible when sub'd modelling.

But triangles are so easy :D

I do get your point though If I wasn't so time oppressed I would expend more effort into quadrifying my meshes.

MAWS tiny UPDATE

New magazine: (Assault Rifle Variant)

Magazine can hold 32 7.62x51's in a triple stack configuration and 20 9.5x40mm rounds in the traditional double stack setup, however I intend to make a unique mag for the 9.5's along with a new receiver for the BR "version" to accompany them both.

- Topo -

Lead Ref

Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 16, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 12:47 PM    Msg. 12767 of 12964       
whoa dude that's like fifty Billion Sextillion polygons

RIP view port.

MAWS UPDATE

I'll start off with the good news..

Battle Rifle style receiver and magazine:

- Topology -

And now the bad news...

I'm pretty much stuck on the fence here fellas with the reference and what type of cowling I should employ into the set-up:

Currently every type of design I explore, including the references destroys real time ads:

Which as you can see is a real problem as it renders the magnifier and the holo sight completely unusable. (unless you use a scope mask)

I have tried numerous other approaches but those seem to carve up even more complications then remedies!

For example I've messed around with ma5'ish propositions:

Obviously the cowling depicted above is far too high, which is the result of the concept art and not my fault at all.

Now I could rotate the barrel and the gas tube 180 which does seem to work:

But this makes the standard set up feel super dorky imo.

So unless I can get these issues fixed or if anyone viewing this post puts forward a solution. I am either going to completely scrap the cowling altogether or perhaps even scrap the project and release what little that I have.

Oh and because I got bored of messing with the MAWS I decided to do a test bake for the holo sight, it came out pretty good for the first try.

Originally baked in 8k, then reduced to 2k in photoshop as seen here:

W/Normal on the left, standard on the right 1400 tris:

Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 24, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Skidrow925

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 12:55 PM    Msg. 12768 of 12964       

whoa dude that's like fifty Billion Sextillion polygons

RIP view port.

MAWS UPDATE

I'll start off with the good news..

Battle Rifle style receiver and magazine:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/779391mawsbr3.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/941797mawsbr.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/224185mawsbr2.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/423527mawsbr9.jpg

- Topology -

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/589863mawsbr4.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/787989mawsbr5.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/260079mawsbr6.jpg

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/374790mawsbr7.jpg

And now the bad news...

I'm pretty much stuck on the fence here fellas with the reference and what type of cowling I should employ into the set-up:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/185624mawsbr10.jpg

Currently every type of design I explore, including the references destroys real time ads:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/327349mawsbr11.jpg

Which as you can see is a real problem as it renders the magnifier and the holo sight completely unusable. (unless you use a scope mask)

I have tried numerous other approaches but those seem to carve up even more complications then remedies!

For example I've messed around with ma5'ish propositions:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/934439mawsbr12.jpg

Obviously the cowling depicted above is far too high, which is the result of the concept art and not my fault at all.

Now I could rotate the barrel and the gas tube 180 which does seem to work:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/496496mawsbr13.jpg

But this makes the standard set up feel super dorky imo.

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/893110mawsbr14.jpg

So unless I can get these issues fixed or if anyone viewing this post puts forward a solution. I am either going to completely scrap the cowling altogether or perhaps even scrap the project and release what little that I have.

Oh and because I got bored of messing with the MAWS I decided to do a test bake for the holo sight, it came out pretty good for the first try.

Originally baked in 8k, then reduced to 2k in photoshop as seen here:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/112811Holosightlpnml.png

W/Normal on the left, standard on the right 1400 tris:

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/468947Holosightnmlvsstock.png

Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 24, 2016 at 12:49 PM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 04:43 PM    Msg. 12769 of 12964       
It looks pretty great, and some of the scope attachments are pretty interesting.

Perhaps more variations of the ammo counter? Like a reach style, H3, H1, etc

The scope/counter one is a little weird, maybe a bigger scope overall.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Feb 24, 2016 04:51 PM    Msg. 12770 of 12964       

Put a smartscope in the cowling, like on the M6D, and patch that through to the display. Or just take the cowling off if you want to use sights.

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 25, 2016 10:12 AM    Msg. 12771 of 12964       
It looks pretty great, and some of the scope attachments are pretty interesting.

Perhaps more variations of the ammo counter? Like a reach style, H3, H1, etc

http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/496496mawsbr13.jpg

More variations of the ammo counter would not deal with the primary issue at hand which is how the piece would fit onto the rifle without looking completely out of place.

Unless you are referencing the individual ammo counter:

In which case I'll take your suggestion under advisment but r93 sniper wants to refer to this as an "MA6".

Ergo a successor to the ma5 series.

Adding a piece which defers to a previous design without any noticable improvement breaks this covenant which is why I wanted my design to break away from any previous installments without completely destroying the traditionalist values of a UNSC ammo counter setup.

I.E It is still moderately triangular and bears a form which is recognizable but yet not distinctly an out right copy of any previous work.

The scope/counter one is a little weird, maybe a bigger scope overall.

You are referring to the magnifier right?

If you are than I suppose I should mention that it's height already exceeds that of the piece portrayed within the reference:

Forgive me if I am coming across as snobbish and arrogant but similar devices depicted within the realms of reality rarely exceed the proportions of their electronically aided cousins:

In addition to the above if I was to scale up the magnifier I would incur a break within the silhouette flow.

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77 Put a smartscope in the cowling, like on the M6D, and patch that through to the display. Or just take the cowling off if you want to use sights.

That is a partially viable solution but it would mean that the magnifier and holo sight would in effect be static pieces, something which I do not feel comfortable with given the amount of detail memory wise they are bound to consume in a real time, in-engine setup.

TLDR; The tris count that those pieces are likely to consume does not warrant their functionability.

You meantioned disregarding the hybrid cowling altogether an Idea I too have contemplated and tbh the only route I personally see working.

The long and short of it would entail keeping all the current optical attachments as 1 setup, then creating an exclusive full length cowling as another completely different setup with perhaps room to mount a device via a cutout which sean and r93 have pointed to before:

An issue I still have however as I have complained about before would be just how the cowling would fixate to the rifle without looking ridiculously out of place.

This is one of the issues among many which I have with the concept art.

Although the reference preaches modularity I really end up feeling that you can just attach random crap to it and go to war something which skidrow was able to spot earlier on:

Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925 Pretty cool, but I'm not getting a "modularity" vibe so much as "attachments galore"

Since I am here one of my other cowling related misgivings would defintely be the overall interpolation of the system itself.

Perhaps my own interpretation of the reference maybe wrong, but I deemed the cowling to be quite angular in nature:

As apposed to traditionalism which dictates that most if not all Ar cowlings follow a softer and more smoother definition:

In light of all this I made a mistake which I going to use this oppurtunity to rectify.

Within the very last post of mine I declared my intention to release publicly what models I have if I felt that I could no longer continue working on the maws/ma6.

That statement was incorrect and since this project was co-funded by vkng/dreamweb I will leave it to the individuals of those two operations to release what I have created when they see fit to do it.

I'll await any further suggestions but for now this project is on hold until a solution is found preferrably I'd like it to be a visual one but that is just the limit of my ability to think

For anyone wondering what my next small project will be whilst I am awaiting further direction it could be an smg.

(No not the m7)

Edited by Super Flanker on Feb 25, 2016 at 10:18 AM

MrCool

Keep it clean

Posted: Feb 27, 2016 11:06 AM    Msg. 12772 of 12964       
So, I am very new to this kind of thing, but I thought I would try and have a go at modeling this gun. I'm going to try and incorporate it into the CMT tagset, basically using CMT weapon counters, shaders, and things like that (not for CMT, for personal use). No promises on when it will be done, but I assure you it will be good quality. Which probably means it is going to take a while. Any help or criticism is certainly welcome.

Edit: Just go to the link lol
Edited by MrCool on Feb 27, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 27, 2016 11:15 AM    Msg. 12773 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: MrCool

So, I am very new to this kind of thing, but I thought I would try and have a go at modeling this gun. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkl5p8p9oxho0vq/ma64.jpg?dl=0 I'm going to try and incorporate it into the CMT tagset, basically using CMT weapon counters, shaders, and things like that (not for CMT, for personal use). No promises on when it will be done, but I assure you it will be good quality. Which probably means it is going to take a while. Any help or criticism is certainly welcome.

Your link was off:

Credit: Isaac Hannaford

And I already have half of that modelled down. lol, I'm interested to see your take on it though.

MrCool

Keep it clean

Posted: Feb 27, 2016 11:29 AM    Msg. 12774 of 12964       
Quote: --- Original message by: MrCool

So, I am very new to this kind of thing, but I thought I would try and have a go at modeling this gun. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkl5p8p9oxho0vq/ma64.jpg?dl=0 I'm going to try and incorporate it into the CMT tagset, basically using CMT weapon counters, shaders, and things like that (not for CMT, for personal use). No promises on when it will be done, but I assure you it will be good quality. Which probably means it is going to take a while. Any help or criticism is certainly welcome.

Your link was off:

https://cdn0.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/001/082/180/large/isaac-hannaford-ih-assault-rifle01.jpg?1439661894

Credit: Isaac Hannaford

And I already have half of that modelled down. lol, I'm interested to see your take on it though.

Oh, wow haha

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 28, 2016 10:25 AM    Msg. 12775 of 12964       
MAWS teeny Update

I want to make sure I get this piece right before I invest into the laborious hard surface stage:

Perspective ADS with an fov of 70 degrees is somewhat affected by the open front cowling:

However depending on how exactly you go about creating your scope mask you may be able to avoid the interference if your lucky.

So yes or no?

Page 365 of 371 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 362 · 363 · 364 · [365] · 366 · 367 · 368 · ... · 371 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun October 20, 2019 2:02 PM 5,938 ms.
A Halo Maps Website