A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP]

Page 368 of 371 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 364 · 365 · 366 · 367 · [368] · 369 · 370 · 371 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] (12952 messages, Page 368 of 371)
Moderators: Dennis

BKTiel

strong independent bird needs no cage

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 06:21 PM    Msg. 12846 of 12952       
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
Quote: --- Original message by: HyperSean

-
Edited by HyperSean on Jul 4, 2016 at 09:48 PM

We will never know :(

It basically eludes to this decision I now need to make. Help me guys this will either make me or brake me.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/981804281.png

alludes

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 07:40 PM    Msg. 12847 of 12952       
Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel
It basically eludes to this decision I now need to make.

alludes
I actually think he unintentionally got it right. If grammatically incorrect.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jul 7, 2016 08:51 PM    Msg. 12848 of 12952       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

alludes

Elude is more escape, so either technically works, but allude would seem to fit better, syntactically.

And is nobody gonna touch the brakes?

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Jul 15, 2016 03:53 AM    Msg. 12849 of 12952       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

alludes

Elude is more escape, so either technically works, but allude would seem to fit better, syntactically.

And is nobody gonna touch the brakes?

Urgh mobile qwerty.

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
FAMAS rifle

pea shooter
5.56 is fine.

I have my own personal misgivings with 5.56 rounds but the famas sucks for a whole load of other reasons.

Mainly:

. Unsafe to modify the chambers due to the low quality of parts. Over pressure btw is startlingly common and operators are actually told to expect minor injuries.

. Incompatible with heavier grain 5.56 catridges.

. Doesn't accept m4/m16 STANAG magazines. (F1)

. Fire selector is totally weird. The AUG has something similar to it but it operates in a way which feels much more fluid.

. Pretty choppy workmanship, I actually got to hold an ancient demilled F1 which completely fell apart when I was shown how it was operated. (F1 version)

. 25 round magazines...I'll say no more.

Oh and if you think that I'm just biased and racist the french themselves have held off producing large orders of the FAMAS.

I wouldn't surprised if parts are or have been discontinued already due to the fact that most nations are looking to and investing in the HK416,ARX160 & the FN Scar series of rifle.

Which ironically enough can be considered less ergonomic due the lack of bullpuppiness all 3 share against the F1/G1/G2.

Being 5.56 operable in it's self doesn't help matters either, especially when you consider that the grain count is less than what is used in the m4/m16.

Put all that together and you have far lethaler rain drops out there than what you'll be spouting out of a barrel.

Secretly I wish that 5.56 was completely disbanded and replaced by 6.8APC.
Edited by Super Flanker on Jul 15, 2016 at 03:57 AM
Edited by Super Flanker on Jul 15, 2016 at 01:05 PM

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 15, 2016 05:01 AM    Msg. 12850 of 12952       
Replace all low level cartridges with .30-06 rounds. We'll be fine.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 15, 2016 10:41 AM    Msg. 12851 of 12952       
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Replace all low level cartridges with .30-06 rounds. We'll be fine.

Amen.

Oh and it's time to get my teal on. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

HM-330PDW

This is a little side project which me & Skidbabe started specifically to combat boredom whilst developing the MAWP.

Unfortunately like all little side projects it never fully reached fruition...

Until now.

(Yes these are basically the "centurion arms" iron sights featured on the HK416 but future tech combined with old furniture is never a bad thing, that and I suck at making MBUS's.)

FP:

ADS:

Additional info:

Manufacturer : "Hellmiss"

Designed : 2124 - 2125

Manufactured : 2126 - 2231

Reinstated : 2312

Produced : 167,000 units approx

Unit cost : 2,450 credits (used) - 2,900 credits. (new)

Action : Straight blow back, closed bolt.

Class : Sub Machine Gun / Personal Defence Weapon.

Trigger group: Bullpup / Ambidextrous

Cartridge : 5.7x28mm/FMJ/Air burst.

RPM : 1200 - max / 350 - practical.

Max Range : 1900meters

Capable Range: 330meters

Feed system : 35 Round double stack box magazine.

Sights : Rear - Rotary diopter. + Front - hooded post.

Variants : 330XS

Competitors : H&K MP7, FNP90, Steyr TMP, Magpul PDR/FMG 9, PP90.

- Topo -

(Yes those are 4 USABLE aperture solutions, they took a long time to get right)

Thanks to shockwave9001 for providing the artwork.

To do list:

> Suppressor.

> Red dot reflex.

> Extended magazine.

> Release.

Echo77

Humble thyself and hold thy tongue.

Posted: Jul 15, 2016 12:51 PM    Msg. 12852 of 12952       
I can't really see any glaring flaws with the weapon itself, but you're probably not going to get anything out of an airbursting 5.7mm round (assuming such systems could fit into a bullet that small,) and effective range would probably be closer to 200m tops, rather than 330m.

Stat-nitpicking aside, looks pretty good.

MEGA_VKNG

Apparently not allowed to move on

Posted: Jul 15, 2016 09:55 PM    Msg. 12853 of 12952       
looks hot

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 06:30 AM    Msg. 12854 of 12952       
I can't really see any glaring flaws with the weapon itself, but you're probably not going to get anything out of an airbursting 5.7mm round (assuming such systems could fit into a bullet that small,)

Realistically speaking yes and no. I've left enough of meat on the time line for humanity to develop and enhance projectile velocities and characteristics.

Alternatively I could just replace the air burst trait with an a nano incendiary skin which each projectile is coated with during the manufacturing process.

As soon as the projectile is fired the skin super ignites creating an almost sabot like burn useful, for penetrating heavily armoured targets and even reinforced vehicle skins.

The downside to this would be that the ignition phase of the projectile would be so theoretically extreme that given enough range the super heated chemical reaction would incinerate the bullet....given enough time say 400m + put all that together and you would literally be shooting hot lava.

Oh and the need for tracer rounds would be eliminated too for the obvious reasons I mentioned above.

Effective range would probably be closer to 200m tops, rather than 330m.

:(

Once again I am 100% confident that rifling technologies will have improved significantly in a 120 or so years time.

Quote: --- Original message by: HyperAlex
Flanker, can you point me towards some tutorials on how to make weapons and to get them into halo?

Yes. Though you will require comfortable knowledge of 3DSMax and the HEK.

HM-330 UPDATE

New features:

> Whisper quiet suppressor.
> Side mounted rail. (Placement can be adjusted via the Keymod™ slots.)
> Extended Magazine. (Pushes round capacity from 35 to 47. Also I totally did not just extrude the base further downwards, that would be lazy.)
> Flip up reflex sight. (Referred to as "FURS". Stop laughing I had to organize the layer manager some how.)

The original suppressor seen within the reference is rather lack luster and not to mention uncomfortably generic so I added a few stylistic features of my own.

FP:

ADS:

- Topo -

*Cough* Totally did not just use extrude on this. *Cough*

(Rear Diopter / Top View, forgot to include this in the first HM-330 post.)

And that's all folks.

I am going to allow for a 1 week grace period in which I'll accumulate all of the necessary criticisms and act on them if I find my self in agreement, once that week has passed I'll start on the lowpoly/unwrap/bake/tantrums.

Credit:

> Skidrow925. - Designation, Supervisory suggestions, Moral support, Friendship.

> Shockwave9001. - Providing the critical artwork this model is based upon.

> Me. - I'll leave this blank.

> Ech077 - Stat checking.

Additional people who weren't involved but still deserve a mention, because of them I am here:

> Dennis

> Yoda73811

> Ally

> Maniac1000

> Altis94

> Dsalimander

> Bourrin33

> R93 sniper

> Sean

> Spartan314

> Supatrolol

> Nickster5000

> CE3 Team

> Bobthegreat

> Teh lag

> Ifafudafi

> Other people I've forgotten about because they are not important.

All I ask is for is credit.
Edited by Super Flanker on Jul 16, 2016 at 06:41 AM

Echo77

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 02:56 PM    Msg. 12855 of 12952       

I can't really see any glaring flaws with the weapon itself, but you're probably not going to get anything out of an airbursting 5.7mm round (assuming such systems could fit into a bullet that small,)

Realistically speaking yes and no. I've left enough of meat on the time line for humanity to develop and enhance projectile velocities and characteristics.

Alternatively I could just replace the air burst trait with an a nano incendiary skin which each projectile is coated with during the manufacturing process.

As soon as the projectile is fired the skin super ignites creating an almost sabot like burn useful, for penetrating heavily armoured targets and even reinforced vehicle skins.

The downside to this would be that the ignition phase of the projectile would be so theoretically extreme that given enough range the super heated chemical reaction would incinerate the bullet....given enough time say 400m + put all that together and you would literally be shooting hot lava.

Oh and the need for tracer rounds would be eliminated too for the obvious reasons I mentioned above.

Effective range would probably be closer to 200m tops, rather than 330m.

:(

Once again I am 100% confident that rifling technologies will have improved significantly in a 120 or so years time.

"Enhancing velocity and characteristics" doesn't make the bullet any bigger, though. 7.62 is the lower end of what you can fit any reasonable amount of explosive into, and even that isn't big enough to give you anything useful for airbursting. "Nano-incendiary" skin would just leave you shooting sparks and burning out your barrels, and adjustments to rifling aren't going to give you a hundred more yards out of a PDW round. Halo's ballistic weaponry is relatively low-tech for its timeframe; they're still using ammo that was designed c.1920.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 06:29 PM    Msg. 12856 of 12952       
I didn't read the previous text but that gun seems really small to operate.
I guess it lies somewhere between an automatic pistol and a SMG, just for close range burst fire, or more than that ?

Edit : and considering the overall size of the gun (that's really what my eyes catches, it's supposed to be real small) I wouldn't render the origins like this at all.
Edited by bourrin33 on Jul 16, 2016 at 06:30 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 08:31 PM    Msg. 12857 of 12952       
I'm... I'm an important person? :3
<3

Bottletopman

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 10:44 PM    Msg. 12858 of 12952       
You and all yall fancy pants air bursting pew pew rounds, yall can stick wit dat hi tek boolits; dis all great big conspiritah! How we know dem UNSC rats not gunna put dud explosives? How we gunna know dey not gunna just, just...NOT explode?!1!

I gots me mah brush guhn wit ma foddy-fahve seventee ammo!

BKTiel

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 12:19 AM    Msg. 12859 of 12952       
why do you care about the attributes of weapons going into a fictional universe

Skidrow925

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 01:07 AM    Msg. 12860 of 12952       
Because it's serious business.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 02:32 AM    Msg. 12861 of 12952       
Believability and immersion. The same reason why the fictional universe its going into is grounded in realism.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 06:26 AM    Msg. 12862 of 12952       
"Enhancing velocity and characteristics" doesn't make the bullet any bigger, though. 7.62 is the lower end of what you can fit any reasonable amount of explosive into, and even that isn't big enough to give you anything useful for airbursting. "Nano-incendiary" skin would just leave you shooting sparks and burning out your barrels, and adjustments to rifling aren't going to give you a hundred more yards out of a PDW round. Halo's ballistic weaponry is relatively low-tech for its timeframe; they're still using ammo that was designed c.1920.

By "enhancing characteristics" I don't mean literally changing the exterior of the projectile in any way shape or form. What I'm looking towards is basically the internal mechanics of a round, specifically what could fit into the wasted dense mass of a bullet to make it more lethal than it already is.

With regards to the nano-incendiary skin idea roasting the internal bore perhaps such a "smart skin" could be developed with some sort of time delay compound? (Though the internal parts would probably fail after 3 rounds with all the soot and dust.......or maybe since a bullet doesn't actually reach terminal velocity as soon as it is struck by a firing pin, the round would have to reach a specific speed before it self immolates?

I don't know it's the future!

Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33

I didn't read the previous text but that gun seems really small to operate.
I guess it lies somewhere between an automatic pistol and a SMG, just for close range burst fire, or more than that ?

*Sigh* All that effort wasted.

To sum it up this is a mid sized sub machine gun more or less akin to the FN-P90. It operates comfortably at 200 or so meters and a skilled user should be able to handle it at 330.

To be a bit more specific on the size it shouldn't exceed the M7/Caseless although it does fire a slightly bigger round.

Fire modes I was not specific on so apologies for that but it's pretty simple, fully auto or safe.

Edit : and considering the overall size of the gun (that's really what my eyes catches, it's supposed to be real small) I wouldn't render the origins like this at all.
Edited by bourrin33 on Jul 16, 2016 at 06:30 PM

The FP and ADS renders are there for pre-visualisation purposes only, they are not representative of what the final animation set could be. It's simply just a trick I use to help me understand what my designs would look like in a game setting.

(minus actually being in a game setting)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
I'm... I'm an important person? :3
<3

<3 Those 2 weeks on xfire.

Quote: --- Original message by: RetrerdedBottletopman

How we know dem UNSC rats not gunna put dud explosives? How we gunna know dey not gunna just, just...NOT explode?!1!

This isn't a weapon utilised by any "official" operatives serving or operating within the U.N.SC. "HellMiss" is a private arms manufacturer located on a planet skidrow has yet to dream up.

why do you care about the attributes of weapons going into a fictional universe

Because it's serious business.

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Believability and immersion. The same reason why the fictional universe its going into is grounded in realism.

Save your breath fellas he can never be one of us.

Now seize him and prepare the sacrificial AK!

BKTiel

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 06:31 AM    Msg. 12863 of 12952       
ffs

Edited by BKTiel on Jul 17, 2016 at 06:32 AM

Echo77

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 01:28 PM    Msg. 12864 of 12952       
By "enhancing characteristics" I don't mean literally changing the exterior of the projectile in any way shape or form. What I'm looking towards is basically the internal mechanics of a round, specifically what could fit into the wasted dense mass of a bullet to make it more lethal than it already is.

With regards to the nano-incendiary skin idea roasting the internal bore perhaps such a "smart skin" could be developed with some sort of time delay compound? (Though the internal parts would probably fail after 3 rounds with all the soot and dust.......or maybe since a bullet doesn't actually reach terminal velocity as soon as it is struck by a firing pin, the round would have to reach a specific speed before it self immolates?

The issue is that 5.7mm is tiny. There's not really much "wasted dense mass" to speak of that you could fit anything useful into. It's also armor-piercing, and is capable of penetrating vests that will stop more conventional pistol rounds. If you start trying to reduce the density of the round, you're probably going to lose out on that capability.

A smartskin would mean you'd have to incorporate computers in some capacity, and this is all much more expensive/complex than just using traditional incendiary rounds. If you're wanting increased lethality, the simplest solution would be to use a bigger cartridge and/or a higher-caliber bullet.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 01:34 PM    Msg. 12865 of 12952       

The issue is that 5.7mm is tiny. There's not really much "wasted dense mass" to speak of that you could fit anything useful into. It's also armor-piercing, and is capable of penetrating vests that will stop more conventional pistol rounds. If you start trying to reduce the density of the round, you're probably going to lose out on that capability.

A smartskin would mean you'd have to incorporate computers in some capacity, and this is all much more expensive/complex than just using traditional incendiary rounds. If you're wanting increased lethality, the simplest solution would be to use a bigger cartridge and/or a higher-caliber bullet.

Quote: --- Original message by: Randell Munroe

Echo77

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 01:51 PM    Msg. 12866 of 12952       
I mean there's always the *future* and *nano-* route, but if the goal is consistency with the majority of the UNSC arsenal as we know it, small arms technology tends to be a bit more grounded.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jul 17, 2016 01:54 PM    Msg. 12867 of 12952       
I mean there's always the *future* and *nano-* route, but if the goal is consistency with the majority of the UNSC arsenal as we know it, small arms technology tends to be a bit more grounded.

Well this is going to be a piece of my puzzle, so it's made by HM rather than Misriah, so it's more innovative you might say. And expensive, more so than a military would like it to be, so we can go that route. Tried, true, and cheap is better than hi-tech, new, and expensive.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jul 18, 2016 05:45 AM    Msg. 12868 of 12952       

But that's the whole point, theoretically if this were ever to go in game two projectile tags could be created (which means two weapon tags)one which is sufficient at dampening shielded players and one which is useful at eliminating unshielded targets.

This effectively means that players could actively choose between 2 variants of the same weapons which forces operators to employ various tactics.

In regards to the loss of the penetration power from a hollowed out 5.7, the air burst system all though individually in-effective could re-act more or less the same way a needler does except the bullets don't impale or lock on to the enemy but explode in a massive barrage some where close by.

To dumb it down further think of the bullets like grunts.

Dispatching of a single grunt would be like swatting a fly, but nailing 35 grunts would be comparable to countering a hailstorm of wasps.

A smartskin would mean you'd have to incorporate computers in some capacity, and this is all much more expensive/complex than just using traditional incendiary rounds.

Smart skin rounds wouldn't necessarily require an electronic aid, I had envisioned a simple bath in which the bullets were dipped in to during manufacturing and then dried.

The chemical compounds which make up the "dippy gloop" would be manufactured in such a way to react extensively when propelled at excessiv speeds thus producing an incendiary burn or a low impact explosive reaction, like I said though one bullet wouldn't be particularly sufficient to knock out a target but 5 or six indirect shots would amount to significant damage.

Other info which is probably important:

This firearm is NOT designed to combat aliens, It was created primarily as a concealed carry on marketed towards; mercenaries, body guards or spec-ops tacticool hipsters. Though just like most firearms it would be reasonably effective against pretty much anything given the correct circumstances.

If you're wanting increased lethality, the simplest solution would be to use a bigger cartridge and/or a higher-caliber bullet.

If I did decide to take up ^ that suggestion I'd have to scale up the bore of the barrel and the ejection port which isn't a hassle but since 90% of the hard surface models I have created are designed from the ground up to accept real world scale bullets adjusting the magazine as any one with moderate modelling experience would imagine would be a very stressful undertaking.

As I have of already mentioned:

This isn't a weapon utilised by any "official" operatives serving or operating within the U.N.S.C, "HellMiss" is a private arms manufacturer located on a planet skidrow has yet to dream up.

Since the lore of this weapon pre-dates the "Great War" it's primary function is to harm/kill humans. Whether or not a individual could make use of this platform against a Covenant combatant is all here-say.

Well this is going to be a piece of my puzzle, so it's made by HM rather than Misriah, so it's more innovative you might say.

I think an "outer rim internal arms manufacturer route" would be the best origin for this particular PDW, this would mean that it wouldn't be incredibly well known outside of the immediate system it was developed within unless "Hell Miss" exports it's products elsewhere to boost unit sales.

And expensive, more so than a military would like it to be, so we can go that route. Tried, true, and cheap is better than hi-tech, new, and expensive.

This mostly makes sense and it also relates to our real world situation today. Arguably nearly every nation which employs a standardisation of arms employ's what I would describe as "middle of the road" tech. With the exception of Russia that is.

Now there are many reasons for this such as; Funds, relationships/deals, sanctions/rullings, availability Vs. reliability Vs. effectiveness and so on. The point is when you decide to standardise a particular product you immediately create a gap for someone else to exploit that standardisation, Which is why most of the known military forces of today aren't particularly effective as they could be.

Of course there are other arguments I could get into but I'll refer to them if anyone decides to bring them up.

Al-right now that I've answered those questions/opinions I've decided to not wait a week and just get down to the low res model whenever I can.

But what I do want to is to give the halo-maps populous all a chance to decide on what the next thing I make will be.

So hear are your choices:

Chemrail - (Contacted a guy who works at propstore and he actually emailed me some sweet images!)

G56 all variants - (May take some additional time to complete all modules.)

IH Ar concept - (bottom right)

Vote here:

http://www.strawpoll.me/10775080

*Please note*

I am not going to give an active time frame for when I will be able to start or complete what ever you decide the next project to be.

And if you have any other suggestions of what you would like me to create give me a shout and I'll take it under consideration providing that you give me the adequate intel I need to start.

Edited by Super Flanker on Jul 18, 2016 at 06:00 AM
Edited by Super Flanker on Jul 18, 2016 at 06:28 AM
Edited by Super Flanker on Jul 18, 2016 at 06:29 AM

SOI_7

Tatsumaki best waifu

Posted: Jul 22, 2016 10:48 AM    Msg. 12869 of 12952       
Long time I don't touch this thing, but luckily I had the chance to work on it again!

In case you don't remember, I was modeling a sci-fi pistol from scratch. After some feedback from UnevenElefant5, I got this:

My last post: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=18013&start=12741

Some details still need to be added later, but I'll probably hand-paint them in the normal map after baking

Ideas/tips about how I could assemble the trigger guard with the grip and the body?
Edited by SOI_7 on Jul 22, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 8, 2016 07:42 AM    Msg. 12870 of 12952       
MAWS RAW MODEL FILES RELEASE:

(Modular Assault Weapon System you illiterate klutz!)

Lowpoly w/2K Texture Space Maps Applied. (32,000 tris)

Notes:

> All provided baked textures are in 8K for the normal maps and 2k for the AO maps.

> On whim I decided to also include the bake files, good luck making sense of them!

> Texture artists! This model uses symmetrical or "shared" UV's. Be sure to exam the unwrap for each model to understand how your texture sheet will behave once applied to the model.

> Tangent space is in Y+

> A few bake errors are present, namely smoothing tension but you won't be able to notice them on a good diffuse, don't forget you can edit out the errors after all it is just a texture. And considering all of these were second and third time bakes I don't think you'll be too fussed. :)

> Triangle count may seem a little insane but keep in mind you need geometry to support your normals, and plus look at the insane amount of detail current gen props of today are pushing!
And, and I had to make it modular!

> Not recommended for vanilla or OS halo.

> Culmination of 5 months work? (probably more)

> I haven't included any of the battle rifle modular entities which were supposed to go along with this project but were ultimately axed due to visual inconsistencies which affected the overall theme, I still have them so if you want them let me know. (highpoly only).

> Everything was modelled, unwrapped & baked using 3dsmax 2014 and debugged using marmoset.

> For use with NON-COMMERCIAL endeavours only!

DOWNLOAD HERE

Credit:

Weihao Wei > Concept Art.

Skidrow925 > Useful blockout helpers which were never used, helpful ideas, being blonde.

Echo77 > Ideas, feedback, encouragement, proof that other gun nerds exist!

OHunterO > Support, encouragement, useful SubD tips.

R93_Sniper > Supervising, ideas, feedback, dealing with my headaches.

Megasean > That lol cowling inspiration.

Michelle > Battle rifle art which was never used.

Tillice > You can't have one goofball without the other.

VKMT Skype > Pffft implying I even care about you guys.

Supatrolol > Just because AK's.

Dumb Ai > Pretty sure you did something?

Corpen > Being specail.

Dennis > Hosting the only site I'd ever post on.

Altis94 > "neat."

Bourrin33 > Ideas, feedback, encouragement.

Tark > The smile guy.

BKTiel > Spell check.

Mrcool > Encouragement, support.

XNX > Encouragement, support.

Teh mookz > Support.

ScarFox > Support.

Holanimator> Criticism.

K1nnect > Criticism.

DaLode > Supplying Waffles and beer.

BTW if you haven't heard already I have a little poll contest going for my second HUGE weapon project.

Here are your choices:

ChemRail >
http://cd8ba0b44a15c10065fd-24461f391e20b7336331d5789078af53.r23.cf1.rackcdn.com/polycount.vanillaforums.com/attachments/5/0/6/8/4/17929.jpg

G56 > http://pre01.deviantart.net/1931/th/pre/i/2013/216/e/5/hk_g56_by_alexjjessup-d6gkqtd.jpg

Ar concept >
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/735295isaachannafordihassaultrifle01.jpg

Where you can vote:
http://www.strawpoll.me/10775080

What's that you say?

Your poll isn't in the lead?

Awwwwwwww poo!.

GET OTHER PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR YOU THEN!

Edited by Super Flanker on Sep 8, 2016 at 07:50 AM

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Sep 8, 2016 01:17 PM    Msg. 12871 of 12952       
bump

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Sep 8, 2016 07:25 PM    Msg. 12872 of 12952       
Flanker why are you releasing the #1 thing for dreamweb without my permission?

Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Sep 9, 2016 at 01:29 AM

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 03:55 AM    Msg. 12873 of 12952       
^Here is an explaintation https://www.gov.uk/intellectual-property-an-overview/what-ip-is
Nice job Flanker, but there is a lot of the lowpoly triangulation that I find weird, don"t you have a version with flat quads only ? it would help me to understand it better. Oh and is the whole weapon on 1 smoothing group ? Because if so, they look bad when ported in halo CE

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 10:10 AM    Msg. 12874 of 12952       
Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man
bump

Would it be to greedy to ask for another?

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG
Flanker why are you releasing the #1 thing for dreamweb without my permission?
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Sep 9, 2016 at 01:29 AM

When I embarked upon this project I lay'd down specific terms that whatever I produce will ultimately be released to the public regardless of whether or not your side of the development is complete.

Dream web has been exclusively privy to the MAWS for along while now which more than exceeds the conditions you and I placed upon this asset. Originally I believe we agreed to a grace period of a couple of months??? before I would go ahead and release what I have regardless of whether or not you were ready to reveal your side of the story.

Which btw you still have yet to do.

Here is a screen shot of when the files were uploaded and made available:

So technically I have not released anything early. These files are still very much in the earlier stages of development and will take a considerable amount of time and effort to polish up into a presentable state near enough to whatever build you currently have.

TLDR; If your worried about possible competition, don't be.

I doubt beyond the lurkers that anyone here has the knowledge or more accurately the will to texture, animate and tag the MAWS asset with all it's separate configs.

I feel part of this little hiccup is my fault as I should have made absolutely clear that both you and R93 were on the same page with regards to our chaotic back and forth messaging.

I should have also made sure to save the very first messages pertaining to the exact contractual understandings of the MAWS.

Nice job Flanker, but there is a lot of the lowpoly triangulation that I find weird, don"t you have a version with flat quads only ? it would help me to understand it better.

Haha yeah. I know the feels of trying to make sense of someone else's work, honestly I'm not sure how the industry pro's do it.

To answer your question though. No there is not a version with quads only (except blockout). The reasons for this is simple. Prior to baking it is usually sensible to fully triangulate your mesh to later avoid any smoothing errors which may occur when the model is imported in-engine.

For those who aren't aware anything that a game engine accepts model wise is automatically triangulated according to whatever algorithm the software was given to use.

In any case it's highly possible that the algorithm may screw up from time to time by flipping undesirable faces, creating unnecessarily long triangles e.t.c To add to this further geometric modifications upon a baked model will result in artefacting which can be especially discerned when a specular map is applied. (highlights shine a spotlight on errors)

It's also common knowledge that one should never interfere with either a models topology or smoothing after a bake as this directly affects the mesh's surface normals which in turn confuses the baked normal map as the original baked model is no longer similar to when rays were first cast whilst projecting the highres normals onto the lowres which is exactly what a game engine would do if you try to import a baked quadrificated model.

Generally this rule is circumvented by editing the normal map texture it'self to either add or take away unwanted detail.

Now there are arguments to this, chief among which would be to ensure that the topo of your asset is relaxed and as un-tangled as possible. This would make sense were it not for the incessant need to ensure that all wasted geometry is removed especially considering that I had not much of a clue as to the exact intention of this asset other than for it to be use for tag building in a really old engine.

Naturally these attempts to reduce the density of any mesh introduce over-complexities which...naturally will mean that if it can go wrong it has a greater chance of doing so.

I'd also like to point that certain parts of the model favour more detail then would logically be need in order to combat UV distortion or chewing. In an ideal world it's wise to use simple meshes which use clean topology, failing that another route which one could take would be to add additional geometry to allow for smoother UV relaxing/unbinding operations.

The second reason is to do with ray casting which I won't get into too much but in a nut shell more details allow for better projection of high to low normals.

Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33Oh and is the whole weapon on 1 smoothing group ? Because if so, they look bad when ported in halo CE

Currently the weapon uses a multitude of smoothing groups ranging from 1 - 15 and perhaps even more so I doubt that the tension will be high enough to visually throw off a player without the normal map to compensate. But if you wish to request a haloced specific model minus the odious requirements that a baked normal map workflow insists upon then I would be happy to accept.
Edited by Super Flanker on Sep 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM

stunt_man

GMYF - Now hosting proper MLG gametypes!

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 10:45 AM    Msg. 12875 of 12952       
bumparoo

Super Flanker

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 11:49 AM    Msg. 12876 of 12952       
HM57 RAW FILES MODEL RELEASE:

(HellMiss 57)

Lowpoly w/2k texture space maps applied. (Open images in new tabs)

Notes:

> All provided baked textures are in 8K for the normal maps and 4K for the AO maps.

> Bake files have been included though you may require assistance to make use of them.

> Tangent space is in Y+

> Culmination of 3 months work?
(rough estimate)

> Everything was modelled, unwrapped & baked using 3dsmax 2014/16 and debugged using marmoset.

> Hardly any bake artefact's or projection errors can be seen on the model. The few which are
undoubtedly around can easily be painted out using a competent 2D image editing package.

> This model does use some shared UV's but not nearly to the extent of the MAWS.

> Some of the attachments are interchangeable with the MAWS providing you get the uniform scale correct, this does not include the extended magazine or the silencer.

> Triangle count:

Base PDW > 8,924
Reflex Sight & Side Rail > 3,032
Iron Sights > 2,362
Silencer & Magazine > 2,018

> This model should perform comfortably within Haloced and OSHaloced providing your scenario's contents are well optimized.

> For use with NON-COMMERCIAL endeavours only!

DOWNLOAD HERE!

Credits:

shockwave9001 > for providing the artwork.

Skidrow925 > Ideas, Crit, Support, Screwing up renders, Designation & canon lead

Echo77 > Supervising, Ideas, Criticism, canon support

BKTiel > Criticism

Bottletopman> Support

R93_Sniper > Ideas, Support, Wrangling Skidrow on to discord

Spartan314 > Encouragement

Bourrin33 > Support, Criticism

Dennis > Hosting the medium which you are reading on

MegaSean > Support

stunt_man > Bumping into things.

May I sleep now?

Edited by Super Flanker on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:51 AM
Edited by Super Flanker on Sep 9, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Skidrow925

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 12:47 PM    Msg. 12877 of 12952       
Good as ever, supes

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 07:30 PM    Msg. 12878 of 12952       
@Flanker

I was not aware or told about this part of the agreement to my knowledge, but I will respect it and give you the benefit of the doubt.

PDW is awesome, gonna mess with it.

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 07:53 PM    Msg. 12879 of 12952       
<3
This stuff looks fantastic

Bottletopman

Blessed are the cheesemakers

Posted: Sep 9, 2016 09:39 PM    Msg. 12880 of 12952       
Credits:

Bottletopman> Support

wat

I just lurked and said a few words now and then lol

Page 368 of 371 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 364 · 365 · 366 · 367 · [368] · 369 · 370 · 371 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 27, 2017 8:33 AM 1,875 ms.
A Halo Maps Website