A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP]

Page 370 of 371 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 364 · 365 · 366 · 367 · 368 · 369 · [370] · 371 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] (12971 messages, Page 370 of 371)
Moderators: Dennis

SGT Arroyo

golden

Posted: Sep 11, 2016 11:04 PM    Msg. 12916 of 12971       
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG
http://i.imgur.com/l2Wk4cs.png
nice model.

Super Flanker

Synthetic furnishings, rails and no safety.

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 07:44 AM    Msg. 12917 of 12971       
Quote: --- Original message by: Bottletopman
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Credits:

Bottletopman> Support

wat

I just lurked and said a few words now and then lol

Your funny "UNSC conspiritah" post made me laugh.

Quote: --- Original message by: SupaTrolol
Cross-post from my OpenCarnage thread

I recently started working on a Halo 5/Halo CE magnum hybrid. The goal is to modernize the CE pistol while retaining as much of the classic design as possible.

here

I'm going to treat your current img's as blockout WIP's.

> The area between the trigger and the trigger guard is far too small, I doubt even the most petite of U.N.S.C. operatives would be able to operate your magnum.

> Overall size suggests that your design would not be able to support 12.7 x 40mm ammunition, but that's okay because the smallish proportion reminds of a concealed carry on/compact design. Sort of like what the "Baby Deagle" is compared to the fully fledged "Deagle".

> Perhaps think about adding usable iron sights? It'd more or less be a unique feature given that most halo magnums with the exception of the M6D lack a practical setup.

> Adding accessory rails above the slide and below the frame would also be cool feature. Since it would enhance the believability of having a dedicated working set of attachments which could be easily applied and removed. (Smart Scope, Laser/flashlight)

> Suppressor design is okay....reminds me a hell of a lot of the osprey 9. I would personally prefer some sort of integrated sound suppression system similar to M6S of H3-ODST. (It's just my opinion though)

Quote: --- Original message by: SupaTrolol

To-Do:

-Find a source for FX

I could assist with this.

I've mentioned this before but I'll go ahead and mention it again for the benefit of other users.

It seems to me like you have the normal map flipped incorrectly on the Y-channel I know this because I can almost exactly replicate the results you have in game:

This is the normal map applied with the correct swizzle coordinates:

(Note that the overall quality maybe a little "pixely". This is due to the fact that I scaled the standard 8K map down to 1k (1024x1024). Normally you would only utilize 2K res or higher for a normal map to correctly mimic the normals of a high poly mesh with little or no artifacting but, since I originally baked my texture space map at such a high resolution I can almost get away with downscaling to such a degree...almost.)

And this is the the same normal map incorrectly applied with the wrong orientation:

The general smoothing tension won't 100% match that of your in game setup primarily because I am not using textures in addition to also having a high specular amount applied to the mesh, but if we focus on the front side of the cheek rest you should be able to discern the triangularish artifacting which more or less matches the same error in your screenshot Sean.

Personally I am unsure if OS Halo natively supports channel flipping but I'm going to hazard a guess and say that it doesn't which is cool because you can still manually flip the colour channels of a normal map in any competent image editing program....like photoshop.

Here is how:

1. Open the map in photoshop:

2. Change your UI scheme to "essentials" to match my setup and click on the "channels" tab:

3. Select the green channel: (this should temporarily hide the other channels)

4. Then hit "CTRL+A" to select the whole canvas, after doing so use the keyboard command "CTRL+I" to invert the image:

5. Once you are done select the "RGB channel" layer to unhide all of the previously hidden layers and save. (Note if you did it correctly various aspects of the texture should now appear indented where as prior they may have seemed extruded)

BTW after reviewing some of the HM57 related files I've realised that for some reason I incorrectly provided you all with the wrong files for the HM57 diopter sight. The ones which were originally uploaded featured the actual rear sight drum incorrectly facing straight up wherein real life it should be orientating 25 degrees downwards at the front and also I forgot to clone out an Allen key nut from the front sight lock back to the rear sight lock.

Here are the patched files: (The original project files link has been updated too)

LP_PDW_Final.max

Lowpoly_Attach_Diopter_Sights.max

LP_Attach_Diopter_Sights.obj

Edited by Super Flanker on Sep 19, 2016 at 07:58 AM

BlackSabbath

"Please believe me my love, and I'll show you"

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 10:06 AM    Msg. 12918 of 12971       

Messing around with Substance & Photoshop.

I don't think I will continue with any of Allegorithmic's products unfortunately, the amount of repetitive software crashing is near intolerable.

Cue MARI.

bourrin33

HEK not installed tho

Posted: Sep 30, 2016 05:51 PM    Msg. 12919 of 12971       
Looks good, now time to make things on a larger scale

MEGA_VKNG

friendly neighborhood big diabetic_kunt

Posted: Oct 18, 2016 05:44 PM    Msg. 12920 of 12971       
Flankers PDW textured in Quixel Suite.

crappy 3DS max renders:

Quixel Suite viewport:

Textures are PBR.

These are going into Black Ops 3, although I don't see why they can't be plopped into Halo as well with a little work.

Super Flanker

Posted: Nov 11, 2016 05:28 AM    Msg. 12921 of 12971       
WIP Sci-Fi'esque heavy revolver.

Something I've been working on intermittently between other things.

I won't lie and say I've enjoyed the journey so far though......translating 2D conceptions into 3D is such a pain in the ass, especially when trying to emulate real world revolver dynamics.

Don't read too much into the smoothing. The model is actually a overtly detailed block-out mesh with subdivision's controlled by smoothing group splits, It's super cheap and easy to do to get a peek of whats to come further down the pipeline.

Working on the real high res ATM.

Cal. 12.7mm (identical to .500 S&W)

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Nov 11, 2016 05:47 AM    Msg. 12922 of 12971       
Daaamn
I like this

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Nov 11, 2016 01:13 PM    Msg. 12923 of 12971       
I really like how it looks.

Super Flanker

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 05:01 AM    Msg. 12924 of 12971       
Crit anyone? I'm having second thoughts about this particular piece.

\/

I mean, You don't have to be a gunsmith to know the only heavy "load" you'll be firing will be the one exploding in your face...:(

Have no Idea what I was thinking on chiselling this section of the outer shell of the barrel, should I just bite the bullet
(no pun intended) and stop trying to make things interesting and make it just one length piece?

Considering adding a small top rail. The problem is I'm concerned about falling into the trap of adding rails to everything I create.

Normally I'd identify a background to my conceptions and shape a story of it's inception and use that as a base to define certain aesthetic characteristics and features.....problem is I don't really have a background to start off with....I'm just doing this for the fun of it, and currently there isn't any fun to be found!

Considering a setup akin to this:

The top rail would be the shortest however with the bottom under barrel fix point being the largest.

EtchyaSketch

S P I N

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 08:15 PM    Msg. 12925 of 12971       
I think the cylinder could use some detail.
As it is in that last reference picture and a lot of other revolvers, they usually have divots.
Other than that I think the modelling work is nice.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 09:34 PM    Msg. 12926 of 12971       
The way I see it, the revolver looks like it was meant to move like a break action shotgun, wherein the cylinder doesn't get turned out to the side like a traditional loader, and instead the entire gun folds down after the grip. Maybe something to look into if you want to be unique about it.

Super Flanker

Posted: Dec 2, 2016 10:56 AM    Msg. 12927 of 12971       
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
I think the cylinder could use some detail.
As it is in that last reference picture and a lot of other revolvers, they usually have divots.
Other than that I think the modelling work is nice.

Normally you'd be correct, those indentations are pretty much commonplace on every revolving cylinder but I decided to go with the reference and against the usual grain....not sure if it was a good Idea but it isn't bothering me a whole much. 'preciate the input though!

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
The way I see it, the revolver looks like it was meant to move like a break action shotgun, wherein the cylinder doesn't get turned out to the side like a traditional loader, and instead the entire gun folds down after the grip. Maybe something to look into if you want to be unique about it.

Sort of a like a Derringer? Whilst it is certainly a unique approach I don't think a traditional hinge pin (realistically speaking) would stand up to the pressures of +P+ ammunition. Or perhaps I need to place more faith future/techy/sci-fi gun-smithery???

Sci-Fi Revolver Update

There are a few little details which still need to be added namely the:

Cylinder Ratchet.

Firing pin.

And I also need to consider a speed loader too.

- Topo -

Skidrow925

Hanging in there by a thread

Posted: Dec 20, 2016 03:00 PM    Msg. 12928 of 12971       
Make it break action tough

Super Flanker

Posted: Dec 23, 2016 10:54 AM    Msg. 12929 of 12971       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Make it break action tough

I could......trouble is I don't have enough monitors. :(

Minor HM500 Updates:

Speed loader:(push or twist function depending on animators preference)

Rifling: (A little annoying to nail down, think I got it though)

Uber simple internal mechanisms: (You'll never see this portion of the model anyway...unless VR???)

Finally in accordance with the reference image some additional grippy details for the grip:(Literally shrink wrap above underlying mesh and extrude)

- Topo -

Lowpoly and unwrap was done awhile ago, and as I write to you now I am already in the process of baking out the maps which means I don't require you this time @Skidrow.

Final warning for the poll of "what thing should I model next"

Vote here:

\/ What you are voting for: \/

Halo Reach AR variant concept.

Futuristic HK AR Platform. (G56)

Elysium Chemrail.

Deadline for the vote ends on the last day of this month @ 11:59pm.

(Dn't inform teh Ruski haxors.)

Edited by Super Flanker on Dec 23, 2016 at 10:54 AM
Edited by Super Flanker on Dec 23, 2016 at 10:55 AM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 03:11 PM    Msg. 12930 of 12971       
I got a bump of coal this Christmas.

Halonimator

Halo5gsucks.com

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 06:06 PM    Msg. 12931 of 12971       
Edited by Halonimator on Dec 25, 2016 at 09:57 PM

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 06:10 PM    Msg. 12932 of 12971       
Wrong thread, buddy.

Halonimator

Halo5gsucks.com

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 08:53 PM    Msg. 12933 of 12971       
deleted

Skidrow925

Posted: Dec 25, 2016 09:05 PM    Msg. 12934 of 12971       
Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
Im porting a reach marine with all permutations and functional mouth, unlike http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6893

http://i.imgur.com/9tz6sLU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/cKZ6oBL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/hbVwlr1.jpg

Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
deleted

wut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6K_Vi4qCtY

Super Flanker

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 06:25 AM    Msg. 12935 of 12971       
16 hours of rendering......later:

Creditos:

2D artist: Blackdonner

Echo77: Liaison.

Megasean: Tolerating me.

Skidrow: Fist bumps.

Enjoy.

Tris count: 18,000

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 06:11 PM    Msg. 12936 of 12971       
I tolerate you.

Super Flanker

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 07:33 PM    Msg. 12937 of 12971       
I tolerate you.

Jeez that was fast.

One thing i've noticed though quixel seems to be overcompensating the amount of dirt/grime/damage applied to the speed loader which in contrast to the revolver looks a little iffy IMO. My guess is this to be due to the curvature information quixel is reading to control the spread of the smart materials edge wearing effects you have assigned, this is common in Substance too.

Ordinarily this would not be a problem if the two meshes in question were assigned seperate material id's to aid with masking or if they used two entirely exclusive UV sheets instead of being bundled into one.

As a concequence if you were to lower the smart materials wear effects to gain a suitable look on the speed loader you would also be taking away information from the revolver aswell

Unless you are masking out one entire mesh to work exclusively on the other and vice versa via UV selections....

Sorry for the trouble. Assigning different MAT Id's to the mesh pieces which you know you wish to work on seperately to thus gain more control of should do the trick.

Btw could you alter the sight diodes to be either green or red? I'd envisioned them to be akin to the Taurus models from COD:Ghosts and Blops 2.

Oh and whats up with that distortion I see within the inner portion of the trigger guard? That's not my fault right?

(Oh and you forgot to fill In one pesky triangle on the hand grip :D)

The Master

~En Lepanto la victoria y la muerte en Trafalgar~

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 07:39 PM    Msg. 12938 of 12971       
I tolerate you.

http://i.imgur.com/r7RPW5t.png
Awesome work!

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 07:45 PM    Msg. 12939 of 12971       
I tolerate you.

http://i.imgur.com/r7RPW5t.png

Jeez that was fast.

-snip-

Thanks for the critique, I'm willing to look into it, and I actually used quite a few Material ID's.

For the sights, I'll be giving those color in engine.

As for the triangle, thats quixel being dumb and pretending that triangle is a seperate object. It looks fine outside of the program.

EDIT: upon further inspection, the trigger guard does appear to be some kind of model error, I figured I might have goofed on a material ID but it doesn't appear to be that way.

Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Dec 26, 2016 at 08:26 PM

Spartan314

Former biped rigger & FP animator

Posted: Dec 26, 2016 08:57 PM    Msg. 12940 of 12971       
Damn does that look good

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 06:32 AM    Msg. 12941 of 12971       
upon further inspection, the trigger guard does appear to be some kind of model error, I figured I might have goofed on a material ID but it doesn't appear to be that way.

http://i.imgur.com/shm6xPw.png

Mmhmm it's all my fault. (as per usual)

Didn't pay enough attention to my uv's. Luckily max is flexible enough to allow me not to have to setup my entire projection cages again. I still couldn't escape the 16 hour re-render though.
:(

Updated link.

Also straw poll thing is over > The halo themed rifle won, totally didn't expect that this being a halo themed site and all. >:/

Here's a few ideas I'm tossing around, feel free to add on.
(MA5C is there for proportion reference)

Also need a military designation. I'm thinking XM something, something... since this platform type doesn't look like a standardised or approved design.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Jan 1, 2017 01:48 PM    Msg. 12942 of 12971       
I like the idea of the removable attachments, I think the trigger area looks fine.

You could probably call it the XMA(insert edgy number and letter in the alphabet here), since the XBR55 (prototype BR) is already a weapon in Halo Canon. Maybe the XMA37 since that's what the model is based on?
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Jan 1, 2017 at 01:51 PM

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 20, 2017 12:07 PM    Msg. 12943 of 12971       

I like the idea of the removable attachments, I think the trigger area looks fine.

You could probably call it the XMA

I definitely want to go with "XMA" just need to find the right combination of edgy numbers.....

Oh and I finally decided to get started on the actual model. I'll be posting more incremental updates just in-case any of the people who voted want a chance at voicing their own opinions. I only have Blockout's for now, don't pay too much attention to much of anything since it is all subject to change further down the road, but if you have any suggestions let me know.

First couple of highpoly pieces:

7.62x35mm: (.300 AAC Black out)

25 Round magazines: (It's as many as I could fit)

- Topo -

Alex

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 10:36 AM    Msg. 12944 of 12971       

You could probably call it the XMA

I definitely want to go with "XMA" just need to find the right combination of edgy numbers.....

Oh and I finally decided to get started on the actual model. I'll be posting more incremental updates just in-case any of the people who voted want a chance at voicing their own opinions. I only have Blockout's for now, don't pay too much attention to much of anything since it is all subject to change further down the road, but if you have any suggestions let me know.

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/714985391.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/668414982.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/805672523.jpg

First couple of highpoly pieces:

7.62x35mm: (.300 AAC Black out)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/491111bullet1.jpg

25 Round magazines: (It's as many as I could fit)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/686140mag2.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/771131mag1.jpg

- Topo -

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/640311bullet2.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/579391mag3.jpg

Looks awesome! Don't have any crit because I don't know what needs improving because I don't have an artistic mind unfortunately.

R93_Sniper

When in Doubt, RUN!

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 02:22 PM    Msg. 12945 of 12971       
Learn to goddamn snip

Alex

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 06:41 PM    Msg. 12946 of 12971       
Learn to goddamn snip

Oh dear, it seems I've touched a nerve. I'm so very sorry it won't happen again.

Super Flanker

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 07:48 PM    Msg. 12947 of 12971       
Quote: --- Original message by: Grand Admiral Alex
Learn to goddamn snip

Oh dear, it seems I've touched a nerve. I'm so very sorry it won't happen again.

Sarcasm aside this isn't the the first time you have been asked to do so.

Even I at some point recall asking you to trim your quotes so they only include content relevant to what you were posting.

Anyway to reinforce the concept artists decision of placing a bolt so far back I did a little digging and found a few "similar" designs, co-incidentally they are all Russian!

Shevchenko smerch:

Shkval:

TKB-022 PM (1965)

(Thanks to Echo-77 for bringing this one to my attention.)

TKB-059

Skidrow925

Posted: Jan 21, 2017 07:55 PM    Msg. 12948 of 12971       
Quote: --- Original message by: Grand Admiral Alex
Learn to goddamn snip

Sarcasm aside this isn't the the first time you have been asked to do so.

Even I at some point recall asking you to trim your quotes so they only include content relevant to what you were posting.

Anyway to reinforce the concept artists decision of placing a bolt so far back I did a little digging and found a few "similar" designs, co-incidentally they are all Russian!

Shevchenko smerch:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/guns/images/a/ad/Shevchenko_Smerch.png/revision/latest/thumbnail-down/width/340/height/195?cb=20131230191552

Shkval:

http://68.media.tumblr.com/1b8947a37a8220264c117b413fbda129/tumblr_mkyjwu5x9s1rrmtkro1_1280.jpg

TKB-022 PM (1965)

http://modernfirearms.net/userfiles/images/assault/as94/tkb022_1.jpg

(Thanks to Echo-77 for bringing this one to my attention.)

TKB-059

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2580100.jpg

Shevchenko and the TKB-022 have always fascinated me, moving the rounds forward into a vertical bolt. As far as the bolt on what is now the XMA-201 because I say so, the bolt handle (what I assume is the bolt handle anyway) either A: decently placed or B: not actually needed, depending on the design you choose to follow. Which, judging from the lack of space behind the mag well, would be a vertical bolt, though I do suppose it could still be used.

lolsnips

Super Flanker

Posted: Feb 1, 2017 05:59 AM    Msg. 12949 of 12971       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
XMA-201 because I say so, the bolt handle (what I assume is the bolt handle anyway) either A: decently placed or B: not actually needed, depending on the design you choose to follow. Which, judging from the lack of space behind the mag well, would be a vertical bolt, though I do suppose it could still be used.

MA-2 already exists in the form of a stubby BR which fires 10mm munitions at 900rpm.

(lol comic books.)

Me and Echo think "XMA-39" is decent enough as the weapon clearly draws inspiration from the MA-37. Perhaps this could be an early effort to improve the design.

Updates BTW.

- Topo -

Sorry it's been a while I was hoping to be further along than I am now but hey I can only do so much, especially with something as complex as this here upper/lower/grip.

MEGA_VKNG

Posted: Feb 3, 2017 10:22 AM    Msg. 12950 of 12971       
You get a bump of coal for Christmas.

Page 370 of 371 Go to page: · 1 · ... · 364 · 365 · 366 · 367 · 368 · 369 · [370] · 371 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun March 26, 2017 10:54 AM 1,515 ms.
A Halo Maps Website