A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista General Discussion »Why doesnt anyone make anymore H2 maps?

Author Topic: Why doesnt anyone make anymore H2 maps? (22 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

gamer 2point0

Want an Apple?

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 11:40 AM    Msg. 1 of 22       
Why is it that no one makes anymore custom maps for halo 2?

YakZSmelk

- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Posted: Sep 19, 2008 12:24 PM    Msg. 2 of 22       
Ummm I had a few, but Vista keeps making me lose my files so I'm at perpetual roadblock. And a few new maps actually came out this week, I doubt they are good but hey they did come out!

gamer 2point0

Want an Apple?

Posted: Sep 20, 2008 09:08 PM    Msg. 3 of 22       
finally

YakZSmelk

Posted: Sep 21, 2008 01:55 AM    Msg. 4 of 22       
Any chance your working on something we could see?

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 08:15 PM    Msg. 5 of 22       
I think MS was trying to always kep the classical feel of H2 by not expending the HEK and keeping it restricted. There is still plenty that can be done.

YakZSmelk

Posted: Sep 22, 2008 10:13 PM    Msg. 6 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003
I think MS was trying to always kep the classical feel of H2 by not expending the HEK and keeping it restricted. There is still plenty that can be done.

That is why I actually like the Halo 2 Editor but at the same time, I think it's dumb for them to make decisions like this for the community.

Also I think Vista might be a big reason why there is little support, Vista is crap (Don't tell me I'm wrong my OS is being killed by Microsoft Updates, clearly it is not ready for mainstream consumption!) I feel with a few more months in development Microsoft would have been fine, but the experiences I'm having with Vista have me a lifetime Windows user-looking towards a Mac.

KingNick220

xXx 420 n0sc0pes MLG xXx

Posted: Sep 30, 2008 10:53 PM    Msg. 7 of 22       
i wish we can add ai, brutes vs grunts on coug XD hopefully halo 3's editor is like halo ce's

MF Boom

I am the bone of my sword...

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 10:44 PM    Msg. 8 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: YakZSmelk
Vista is crap (Don't tell me I'm wrong)

You're wrong. ;P

Actually, Vista probably /is/ the reason. But not because it's awful and people have problems with it. Because people complain about how awful it is before they even try it. And those who have, probably got Home Basic, which /is/ crap. xD; The only way even Home Premium is buggy if it's 64-bit. Vista 64-bit has a lot of compatibility issues with everything. I've used Ultimate 32-bit (SP1) and haven't run into a single problem yet. People just don't like change. It took well over a year until people started using Windows XP.

And also, I want a Mac as well, but definitely not for gaming. Mac has severe issues running all the games I want, from the weak ones like Halo Custom Edition and Unreal Tournament 2004, up to being completely unable to run games like H2V, UT3, and I'm sure it's not able to run Crysis, Age of Empires 3, or even Fallout 3 for that matter. Mac would be a business computer, not gaming.

Also, even in this day and age, I run Windows XP on my computer right now, and I /still/ get alerts from Windows Update. It's impossible to say that an OS isn't ready for mainstream consumption just because you have to get frequent updates. Vista will be updated for years, and XP will be updated until January '09, then it's done for, and Vista will be all that is sold and supported anymore [you can still run XP, but no more updates or tech support or anything].

And the H2EK is very locked. You can still get a lot done, but I'm not even sure if you can model and create your own vehicles and import them in, I've never seen it done yet. Hopefully you can at least put gravlifts in maps...

Quote: --- Original message by: KingNick220
i wish we can add ai, brutes vs grunts on coug XD hopefully halo 3's editor is like halo ce's

It won't be. Halo CE was made by Gearbox, and Halo 3 was completely Bungie and Microsoft. Not to mention that if you look, Halo CE runs on XP, Halo 2 runs on Vista... I don't doubt Halo 3 will require Windows 7 or something insane like that. Even so, it won't be out until late 2009 or 2010, knowing Microsoft. With lots of restrictions...

But hey, we'll still have Forge, right?
Edited by MF Boom on Oct 2, 2008 at 10:45 PM

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 03:28 AM    Msg. 9 of 22       
...hopefully halo 3's editor is like halo ce's

First hope it comes out for PC.

MF Boom

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 04:31 AM    Msg. 10 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nexus Halo
...hopefully halo 3's editor is like halo ce's

First hope it comes out for PC.

Already been confirmed. Just no release date or specs or anything. Just been confirmed that it can and will be released for PC, nothing more... Not even in the works yet.

MF Boom

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 07:27 AM    Msg. 11 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: NT Productions
Just think of it, if Halo 3 came out for PC and there was a H3EK, we could send them to Bungie and they could port them to 360.

That would be godly. But it wouldn't happen, I really doubt it would.

However, I am going to speak with Bungie about making it cross-platform possibly, at least to the extent of Custom Games, if not Matchmaking as well.

I'm sure Bungie will at least allow versatility of Forge mods between both PC and 360 though, if nothing else... We can only wait for more confirmation.

gamer 2point0

Want an Apple?

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 11:20 PM    Msg. 12 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: YakZSmelk
Ummm I had a few, but Vista keeps making me lose my files so I'm at perpetual roadblock.
Get a flash drive . . .

Nexus Halo

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 01:25 AM    Msg. 13 of 22       
What kind of Halo 2 map would you like? I was thinking of remaking a Halo 2 map.

YakZSmelk

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 11:06 AM    Msg. 14 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nexus Halo
What kind of Halo 2 map would you like? I was thinking of remaking a Halo 2 map.

Remaking? What would be the point of this?

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 12:01 PM    Msg. 15 of 22       
H2EK is locked. No one can make maps.
NO the H2EK is locked so you can only make maps. Apparently those who complain don't want to make maps they want to make other stuff.

Nexus Halo

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 08:01 PM    Msg. 16 of 22       
Oh sorry. I forgot this wasn't a CE thread again.

MF Boom

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 10:39 AM    Msg. 17 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: animaxcg
i think that halo ce is better
A. cause of vista (not that it won't work for everyone)
B. if halo ce ain't broke don't fix it
C. you have much more control of stuff in halo ce even if the graphics stink
D. halo 2 xbox sold so many copies that everyone who wanted halo 2 vista it already had halo 2 xbox

Quote: And also, I want a Mac as well, but definitely not for gaming. Mac has severe issues running all the games I want, from the weak ones like Halo Custom Edition and Unreal Tournament 2004, up to being completely unable to run games like H2V, UT3, and I'm sure it's not able to run Crysis, Age of Empires 3, or even Fallout 3 for that matter. Mac would be a business computer, not gaming.

if you get a macbook pro or iMac you can play all those game with Boot Camp (windows running natively on mac hardware) if you go to apples referb site you get couple hundred off and still get the 1 year warranty

"Boot Camp"? Yeahno. If I got a Mac and ran Windows on it, I'd just get VMWare. But I don't want to run an OS on an OS. That's redundant.

Aside from that:

A.) Vista works. It isn't causing any problem with Halo 2 /Vista/ at all. In fact, it's the OS that was intended for H2V to work in the first place, so it obviously wouldn't be a problem.

B.) Halo CE isn't broken; H2V isn't fixing it. It's a sequel game, and the only thing to do with the first game is the continuation of the plot.

C.) Actually no. Halo CE's physics engine support /less/ than H2V. H2EK is just locked up right now and no one has managed to unlock it enough to be able to create more than just maps. H2V will support dual wielding, vehicle boarding, gravlifts, vehicle boost (properly), various medals for specific things (stick, snipe, beatdown, assassination, etc.), along with much more than just that. The only disadvantage is that we can't make our own vehicles/weapons or anything, just maps... Which isn't even a majorly big deal, in my opinion.

D.) Halo 2 for Xbox and Halo 2 for Vista are two different things. One is a console game with limitations such as the maximum detail of graphics [whereas PC, you can up it to however high your video card supports], as well as limited online gameplay. H2V has free online gameplay, plus a map editor that you /never/ had for Xbox. You can't logically compare the two together. Console and PC versions of games are so dynamically different that they're essentially not even the same game... They run off of two completely different engines.

MF Boom

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 07:11 PM    Msg. 18 of 22       
Your wrong. Halo 2 Vista and Halo 2 Xbox are THE SAME ENGINE. They are just on Different OS's. That does not make the Engine any different. They still have the same glitches and the same physics. Halo 2 Vista is just a port from console to OS.

Vista and Xbox are "The same Exact Thing"

Porting is the only difference and the ability to make maps.

Porting is a major difference. They are based on the same engine, but because an Xbox is only a game console with set limitations and hardware specific to it's design, and the PC has a lot more versatility, the PC engine has to be slightly more complex to offer support to all the changes you can make because of that; Especially when throwing in online gameplay that supports a lot more than the Xbox edition does.

The engines are similar, but not the same. There are numerous changes in them to be compliant with their respective system.

And also when you throw in the ability to create and play custom maps; The Xbox wouldn't support that, and obviously means this would require a change in the engine, at least a minor one.

However, the point in case is... The reason there are no maps for Halo 2 Vista, is just because people refuse to make just basic maps. People want to make their own weapons to put in, their own vehicles, several things... And people have sorta ditched Halo 2 Vista because we still have Halo PC [I don't say CE because it's very empty. I see one server open most of the time, no more.], and Halo 3 is really rampant right now as well with all the updates and whatnot... Perhaps if the H2EK ever gets unlocked, we may see a surge in maps.

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 05:23 AM    Msg. 19 of 22       
Custom Edition? Did you delete all your maps or something? I get at least 7 (5:00 AM EST) and 15 (6:00 PM EST).

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 13, 2008 11:10 AM    Msg. 20 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: MF Boom
Perhaps if the H2EK ever gets unlocked, we may see a surge in maps.
People are under a misconception that the H2EK is locked. It isn't locked, it is just not a full tool set. The H2EK was re-enginered without the code to edit all parts of the game. The H2EK was designed to be a MAP editor not a game editor. It was designed to allow you to make maps not change the functions of the game.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Oct 13, 2008 12:46 PM    Msg. 21 of 22       

If someone will ever supply me with a .scenario_hs_source_file tag file, ill acleast start making H2V maps.. I want my scripts.. *sniffle*

MF Boom

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 11:50 PM    Msg. 22 of 22       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
People are under a misconception that the H2EK is locked. It isn't locked, it is just not a full tool set. The H2EK was re-enginered without the code to edit all parts of the game. The H2EK was designed to be a MAP editor not a game editor. It was designed to allow you to make maps not change the functions of the game.

Okay, correcting myself then:

If someone ever modifies the H2EK enough to be able to modify more than just the map itself; Such as creating weapons, vehicles, and things along that line.

[I probably would've said this earlier, but I haven't been on for over a week or so in light of my birthday and other things.]

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon September 23, 2019 8:58 AM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website