A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »New idea: [Q3MT] Quake 3 Mapping Team!

Author Topic: New idea: [Q3MT] Quake 3 Mapping Team! (20 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

HaloSlayer

Used to be my H3 Emblem

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 05:45 AM    Msg. 1 of 20       
I'm not sure if I'm going to start this or not.. But here goes with the idea.

So I've had Quake 3 on my comp since it was released alongside Team Arena in the Q3Gold pack. And I was wondering - "Imagine Halo was like this, The close quarter battles would be insane!". So a thought came. "Why not start a mapping team, Yeah a bunch of *****s will try to bring me down (again, HDoan.) but that doesn't mean it wont happen."

So this is it: I might start a mapping team. Who will make maps based on Quake 3 Arena but with a more Halo style.

I have already passed this idea around my friends, And we came up with this:

A list of ideas:
Quake 3 Maps
Quake 3 "Pro" Maps?
Quake 3 style HUD?
Halo weapons but with a Quake 3 Style?
(As in, They can have a ridiculous amount of ammo and dont reload, or give them a huge clip but that needs reloading)
Quake 3 Items?
(Quad Damage, Haste, aswell as health pickups, armour pickups.)
If not that then why not Halo Items?
(Active Camo, Overshield, healthpacks etc)
Or even a mix of both?
(Things like: Healthpacks only heal a small amount, Overshield doesnt last long as it normally does.)

We did have the idea of Quake 3 Bipeds. But we scrapped that. Instead the idea came across of (If its possible) a Biped list of Halo bipeds that you can select to be when the game begins, or whenever you want.

So how about it?

Mythril
-
Screenshot Guru
-

Jeffrey Albert Waldo

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 05:59 AM    Msg. 2 of 20       
Sounds interesting, though I've never played Quake before XD

Good luck.

HaloSlayer

Used to be my H3 Emblem

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 06:04 AM    Msg. 3 of 20       
Quake is made by ID software, the same people who made Doom series. Only Quake 3 is focused mainly on really fast paced heated battles and mainly for multiplayer. although you can fight bots..

So im thinking of going ahead with this. Ill wait for a few more comments before i decide.

Dhark

I believe in Dennis Powers

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 08:15 AM    Msg. 4 of 20       
sounds good, wont be easy, but luckily the models and textures for weapons will be done, i doubt you could recycle the animations but again who knows

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 08:21 AM    Msg. 5 of 20       
If you can run Halo 1, you should run Quake 3 fine. Just buy it. And if you don't have money, then take this into account:
Halo CE's Netcode sucks, Quake 3's is better. How will you adjust this to fit the need for aim ahead?

And yes Dennis, I know it was the smartest choice at the time, people, please try not to start another netcode argument.
Edited by ODX on Oct 1, 2008 at 08:22 AM

HaloSlayer

Used to be my H3 Emblem

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 11:28 AM    Msg. 6 of 20       
UT99. Ahh the good days. There doing tournaments on that at i35.

I have decided that I'm going to go ahead with it.

I already have some texture ideas. Its going to be Halo styled, so same models and animations for weapons but with new skins like. blood all over gun handles like in Q3.

Ill start an "official Thread" that will hopefully last longer than 5 seconds (once ive got some things to show).

Corvette19

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 05:05 PM    Msg. 7 of 20       
I do not support/like any mapping teams that try to put other games into another game. I play Halo because I want to play Halo.

Donut

I swear I'm not actually dead

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 06:13 PM    Msg. 8 of 20       
so then dont post.....

wesman

no your a freezer

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 07:21 PM    Msg. 9 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Corvette19
I do not support/like any mapping teams that try to put other games into another game. I play Halo because I want to play Halo.
Well hes trying to keep it halo styled, but with that fast pased quake edge. So you should be pleased.

Dhark

I believe in Dennis Powers

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 07:51 PM    Msg. 10 of 20       
haloslayer, an idea for how the weapons are to work (in terms of no reloading and such)

make no reload animation, give the weapon 1 shot in the clip and make the reload time 0.0
make the reserve ammo anything you'd like

What will this do?
Basically this will allow people to pick up ammo from the ground, had you used the other method you planned, i dont believe you would be able to do that.
Hope this helps!

btw: im not sure if you can make animated weapon pickups, but if you could; it would be great to see the Q3 styled ammo pickups

HaloSlayer

Used to be my H3 Emblem

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 04:54 AM    Msg. 11 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dhark
haloslayer, an idea for how the weapons are to work (in terms of no reloading and such)

make no reload animation, give the weapon 1 shot in the clip and make the reload time 0.0
make the reserve ammo anything you'd like

What will this do?
Basically this will allow people to pick up ammo from the ground, had you used the other method you planned, i dont believe you would be able to do that.
Hope this helps!

btw: im not sure if you can make animated weapon pickups, but if you could; it would be great to see the Q3 styled ammo pickups

That sounds like a plan. I was brainstorming last night how i would and I came up with the idea of just having huge clips, so that you have to reload once in a while to make it that little bit harder.

Weapon pickups? I didnt notice them. Dont you just whip out the gun when you pick it up?

I also had some neat ideas for the HUD.

Quote: Written on a peice of notepad paper-

HUD --
(If Possible) Display shield as an integer
(If Possible) Display Ammo as an integer
And a Diffrent Color HUD/Aimer (Possibly White or Yellow)

I also thought about having it that Your shield is like your Health. Youll have 150 shield and when it runs out you have 10 Health to gtfo of there. then your shield could slowly recharge.
(This was my idea of getting it to seem like you had no shields unless you picked up the Overshield/Armour)

Also have some Sound ideas
Double Kill- Q3 Announcer says "Excellant" (In Q3, You dont get "Double Kill" and "Multi Kill" you just get loads of gold skulls and a nice "Excellant")

Triple Kill- Q3 Announcer says "Perfect" (In Q3, You get a "Perfect", But im not sure why)

Killtacula- Q3 Announcer says "Holy ****" (In Q3 when you get around 4 or 5 kills at once, He swears xD)

Killing Spree- Q3 Announcer says "Impressive" (In Q3, When you skillfully Railgun someone, it says "Impressive")

Running Riot- Q3 Announcer says "Frags" (As in your amount of kills, When you get 100 Frags in Q3 the announcer says "Frags!" and there is a little picture of a red skull.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 12:46 PM    Msg. 12 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
Halo CE's Netcode sucks, Quake 3's is better.
I disagree. The Quake netcode is client deterministic, Halo's is server deterministic. There are more exploits for the Quake netcode than there are for the Halo netcode. Server deterministic code is more susceptible to warping and auto-correction than client side because it is more exacting. Client code often produces less noticeable but also far less accurate results when errors occur because they allow the client to continue without correction. That is why many times on a client code game you can get hit or killed when no one seems to be near you. They both work but each has a different user experience.

Me KS

Desire is Reality. Xfire: jetmaster23

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 07:50 PM    Msg. 13 of 20       
I personally believe that the best advantage to Halo's server-side determination is just that, that it is very difficult to develop exploits and cheats when nothing done by the clients' instances of the game--which are the majority of players--is counted as what truly occurred.

However, the need to lead due to latency to the server and frequent updating of the clients is something that disturbs game play, at least for the individual. This is because the server reads your actions and then determines what counts based on what occurred on the server's instance of the game, rather than what counted on each individual's instance of the game. It is true that that is actually an easy way of just plain saying "this is what happened, period" without any conflicts with things such as timing due to latency, and that is another positive of Halo's net code.

Although I've never played Quake, I assume that since it is client side that you don't need to lead and that everything that the individual player does counts as what truly occurred, which in my eyes is better. Even though game play may be disrupted by being killed by nothing or seeming to not see what hit you due to connection inconsistencies, you can have some assurance that if you shot someone directly, it will most likely count as a direct shot.

That contrasts sharply with Halo, in which shooting someone directly will almost never register a hit unless they're moving in the direction of your aim or not moving at all, which is always frustrating for first-time players.

madkiller92

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 09:38 PM    Msg. 14 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Halo CE's Netcode sucks, Quake 3's is better.
I disagree. The Quake netcode is client deterministic, Halo's is server deterministic. There are more exploits for the Quake netcode than there are for the Halo netcode. Server deterministic code is more susceptible to warping and auto-correction than client side because it is more exacting. Client code often produces less noticeable but also far less accurate results when errors occur because they allow the client to continue without correction. That is why many times on a client code game you can get hit or killed when no one seems to be near you. They both work but each has a different user experience.

Hit or killed when nobody is near you? Does that mean you can die after a couple seconds of being shot, even though you should've died before?

Quote: --- Original message by: HaloSlayer

So I've had Quake 3 on my comp since it was released alongside Team Arena in the Q3Gold pack. And I was wondering - "Imagine Halo was like this, The close quarter battles would be insane!". So a thought came. "Why not start a mapping team, Yeah a bunch of *****s will try to bring me down (again, HDoan.) but that doesn't mean it wont happen."

So this is it: I might start a mapping team. Who will make maps based on Quake 3 Arena but with a more Halo style.

A list of ideas:
Quake 3 Maps
Quake 3 "Pro" Maps?
Quake 3 style HUD?
(As in, They can have a ridiculous amount of ammo and dont reload, or give them a huge clip but that needs reloading)
Quake 3 Items?
Or even a mix of both?
(Things like: Healthpacks only heal a small amount, Overshield doesnt last long as it normally does.)

We did have the idea of Quake 3 Bipeds. But we scrapped that. Instead the idea came across of (If its possible) a Biped list of Halo bipeds that you can select to be when the game begins, or whenever you want.

Sounds fun. I have quake 2, quake 4, and have tried the demo to enemy territory.

Is there any way to make strafe jumping, (it's like bunny hopping, only it's MOSTLY from side to side and not in all directions, plus a lot less crazy then it), something that can be done in it?

I don't really know if quake 3 has it. In quake 2 and enemy territory I don't find it easy too, but in quake 4, it's easy.

Edited by madkiller92 on Oct 2, 2008 at 09:42 PM

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 10:07 PM    Msg. 15 of 20       
Oh crap, I don't want to argue with Dennis about netcodes, I'm not good with that stuff. *Runs away* YOU WIN THIS TIME DENNIS...again!

HaloSlayer

Used to be my H3 Emblem

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 04:26 AM    Msg. 16 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: madkiller92

A list of ideas:
Quake 3 Maps
Quake 3 "Pro" Maps?
Quake 3 style HUD?
Quake 3 Items?
Or even a mix of both?

Sounds fun. I have quake 2, quake 4, and have tried the demo to enemy territory.

Is there any way to make strafe jumping, (it's like bunny hopping, only it's MOSTLY from side to side and not in all directions, plus a lot less crazy then it), something that can be done in it?

I don't really know if quake 3 has it. In quake 2 and enemy territory I don't find it easy too, but in quake 4, it's easy.

Isn't that just like jumping side to side?

Dennis

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 10:42 AM    Msg. 17 of 20       
Oh crap, I don't want to argue with Dennis about netcodes, I'm not good with that stuff. *Runs away* YOU WIN THIS TIME DENNIS...again!
LOL - My only real point is that your statement was unqualified, saying "it sucks", and did not seem to be fully thought out. Each system has their plus and minus so whan making statements it helps to be specific as to what "sucks" about it.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 04:29 PM    Msg. 18 of 20       
I was in a non-specific mood, though I wouldn't have been able to- wait, you're drawing me into a netcode discussion still! I C WUT U DID, you and your smarts Dennis. I was really just focusing on aim-ahead. On Quake 3, at least the times I've played it, you don't have to aim-ahead much, or none at all. But yes, now that you say the other problems with it, it does seem like CE's netcode is better, Dial-Up support or not.

Dennis

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 05:57 PM    Msg. 19 of 20       
I was really just focusing on aim-ahead. On Quake 3, at least the times I've played it, you don't have to aim-ahead much, or none at all.
If that, aim-ahead , is the critical criteria then the CE netcode does suck compared to Quake's since the CE engine requires leading. I wasn’t trying to disprove you, just trying to get you to say what “sucks” means in the context of the discussion.

This is just a personal opinion: but I find the "aimbot/hack" claims in a client side game much more prevalent and annoying than in a server side one even if there is leading. Others prefer not having leading at all costs and will put up with the aimbots/hacks. Too each their own.

madkiller92

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 05:58 PM    Msg. 20 of 20       
Quote: --- Original message by: madkiller92

A list of ideas:
Quake 3 Maps
Quake 3 "Pro" Maps?
Quake 3 style HUD?
Quake 3 Items?
Or even a mix of both?

Isn't that just like jumping side to side?

Yes, mostly. Halo doesn't really let you strafe jump or bunny hop at a good speed.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon February 24, 2020 4:03 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website