A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Problems downloading

Author Topic: Problems downloading (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Overkill

I like grapes.

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 01:36 AM    Msg. 1 of 4       
Ever since I got Internet Explore 8 (Beta 2) I can't download off a few websites, including Halo Maps. I've tried to uninstall Internet Explorer 8, but it's not on add or remove programs.

So, I've tried downloading with FF (3.0.3 btw) and it doesn't work. Here's a screenie that might find the problem (linking to stop 56K'ers from lagging big): http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3989/wthuj2.png

Thanks for your help !

Overkill

I like grapes.

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 01:51 AM    Msg. 2 of 4       
Btw: I am using Firefox in the screenie.

I have tried putting all Halomaps sites into my trusted zone in both Firefox and IE8, opening port 21 in Comodo Firewall Pro (which has been here since pigs grew wings) and tried allowing all cookies in IE8. I think IE8 has too much security that affects all browser programs. Stupid me forgot to back up my PC earlier

[Microsoft has A LOT of explaining to do.]

FoxtrotZero

Digging Foxholes by Profession

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 11:41 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
on some older versions of windows, and i think you still can, internet explorer was heavily integrated into Windows. Microsoft lost a big lawsuit because of freedom of browser and it was fixed. to this date, though, you still can't remove internet explorer. not without, well just say you can't.

Honestly, i think you need to start by finding some way to downgrade. Its a beta, so it must be able to go back. From there, me and half the other people around here would reccomend Firefox.

You can use the old Firefox 2. Its not easy to get, compareatively. But its fully supported and Mozilla offers it. Or you can get 3.0

Alot of people do not like 3.0 versions, but it is stable. Need i mention that Firefox is THE leader in internet saftey without interfereing with your enjoyement of the internet. i suppose microsoft stepped up their game and screwed it up.

Aside from that, Firefox can copy your bookmarks from Internet Explorer easily. It can also check to see if it is your default browser, and will ask you if you want it as it. If you say yes, it quickly and easily (and reverseably) asserts itself. otherwise, it does nothing. If you need help, it has a "for Internet Exlporer Users" section.

Also, its heavily customizeable. You can customize the layout of your buttons and even completely layout your toolbars or create new toolbars. You can also download themes that others have created, completely customizing looks to your stlye. they install themselves and all you have to do is pick which one you feel like using.

Addons. AddOns, some are always useful, some depend on what you like to do. People make all kinds that do all kinds of nifty things, and i could reccomend quite a few that i know of, some of which i don't even use. Theres something for everything.

additionally, firefox DOES of course, support tabbed browsing. A feature i love that is automatically used. If firefox is closed without your consent, it will remember your last webpages and ask if you want to reopen them. it also warns you before closing multiple tabs. If you have multiple tabs open in FF3, then when closing it can save your tabs, also able to open them next time.

Its a great browser with so much to offer. i don't think you can go wrong. especially beng an IE user. *Shudders*

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 8, 2008 05:04 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Common Problems Downloading Files
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=320

Item 4

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun July 5, 2020 4:49 PM 329 ms.
A Halo Maps Website