A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Tutorial- Warthogs following command list paths.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: Tutorial- Warthogs following command list paths. (38 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

adumbass

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 07:03 PM    Msg. 1 of 38       
Someone recently asked me for a tutorial on how to make warthogs follow command lists, so here it is. I wrote this pretty fast so it might have some errors. I've also included a test map and it's script as an example its not the best looking map its just a map I use to test things. In this tutorial I'll be explaining how to set up your vehicle tag, and command lists so that ai driving the warthog follow the points in a command list. I am not going to explain how to set up an ai encounter or how to get ai into the vehicle, I'm gonna assume you already know that. This tutorial applies mainly to the warthog and vehicles of the same type. The biggest problems with ai following a command list while driving a hog is that they can not go to a point that is behind them, they will just stop. They also aren't able to back up.
Example map:
http://files.filefront.com/hog+testrar/;12698094;/fileinfo.html

First you have to edit your vehicle tag so that ai can drive it. Open your vehicle tag and scroll down to the bottom where it says $$$ VEHICLE $$$. Check the ai driver enable and ai driver can sidestep flags. Uncheck the ai unused, ai driver flying and ai driver hovering flags. Now under that find where it says ai slideslip distance, this controls how much the ai will allow the vehicle to slide when turning. The higher the number the more they will allow the vehicle to slide, setting it too high may cause problems. You can also set the destination radius, avoidance distance and pathfinding radius as I have in this pic but I'm pretty sure those don't matter.

Next create a command list and place a few points that you want the ai to follow. Make sure the points eventually go back to the first one and remember that the halo 1 ai can't figure out how to backup or go to a point that is behind them. Here is a pic of how I set my points.

Now place your warthog, I recommend placing the hog facing the first point like in this pic.

Now create the commands in the command list. I don't remember if the first command set radius is necessary, but it is supposed to set how close the ai has to get to a point before they consider moving to the next. Next add a go to command, set the modifier to keep moving, and the destination to your first point. Do this for all your points. Once your done doing that add one more command, the loop command. Set the modifier to always and command as the first go to command, this will make the ai always loop back to the first go to command and they will continue moving on that path. Place your ai and make them run this command list, they should follow this path while in the warthog and loop back continuously.

Edited by adumbass on Dec 18, 2008 at 07:06 PM

DarkZealot

Time management: 40% Xbox, 30% PC, 30% Skating

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 07:17 PM    Msg. 2 of 38       
Me likes. Very much. Great job.

Would this work for other vehicles if you placed the points in the air?

Ermac

Pops up from time to time

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 07:19 PM    Msg. 3 of 38       
I'm in the process of testing the air vehicles out now. My guess is that it would, as long as the "ai driver flying" flag isn't checked.

adumbass

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 07:34 PM    Msg. 4 of 38       
yes it works for air vehicles, I've got drop ships to work. I might have changed some of the flags that were checked though.

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 07:38 PM    Msg. 5 of 38       
Very interesting. A whole bunch of possibilities have been opened up now.

DarkZealot

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 08:05 PM    Msg. 6 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: adumbass
yes it works for air vehicles, I've got drop ships to work. I might have changed some of the flags that were checked though.

Could you check? And post image? :D

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Dec 18, 2008 08:18 PM    Msg. 7 of 38       
Great job!

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 12:29 AM    Msg. 8 of 38       
You can also set the destination radius, avoidance distance and pathfinding radius as I have in this pic but I'm pretty sure those don't matter.

They only matter to anyone who cares about their AI not crashing. Although the down side is, their killing instinct overrides those settings, so if the AI know you exist, they will crash anyways to try and reach you.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 12:49 AM    Msg. 9 of 38       
Bungie made great instincts

adumbass

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 01:00 AM    Msg. 10 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
You can also set the destination radius, avoidance distance and pathfinding radius as I have in this pic but I'm pretty sure those don't matter.

They only matter to anyone who cares about their AI not crashing. Although the down side is, their killing instinct overrides those settings, so if the AI know you exist, they will crash anyways to try and reach you.

I couldn't remember if they mattered or not since I discovered how to do this a year ago. I didn't remember exactly what I had to do to get it to work the first time. I still don't think it matters if you set them though, the ai will be following a command list anyway and even with the avoidance distance up they still seem to ram anything in their way. Also, I'm too busy to go and get it to work with dropships again. It isn't perfect sometimes if the point is behind them and they are flying a dropship they will go crazy.
Edited by adumbass on Dec 19, 2008 at 01:01 AM

ThePlague

Steam: jubalearlybh

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 01:47 AM    Msg. 11 of 38       
Great post man, I needed this awhile ago. Now I don't because i'm using Linux and can't run anything Halo related ATM.

adumbass

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 09:39 PM    Msg. 12 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Guilsam
maybe post a vid of marines driving the vehicle and not going into spin-outs with the warthog?

I'm too busy to make a video and I've never made one before anyway. There is a map with it working in the first post.

DarkZealot

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 09:40 PM    Msg. 13 of 38       
Map indeed works.

megahalofan12

Xbox Live/Xfire is: matthewdratt

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 11:53 PM    Msg. 14 of 38       
The marines will even stop for you if you stand in front of it. (Some mod's they'll just run you over)

DEEhunter

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 12:02 AM    Msg. 15 of 38       
How about flying vehicles?

megahalofan12

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 12:51 AM    Msg. 16 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: DEEhunter

I'm guessing that it would work as well. All this script does is "force" the AI's into the vehicle and command them to go to a point. Why wouldn't they go to a point in the air?

adumbass

Posted: Dec 20, 2008 02:30 AM    Msg. 17 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: megahalofan12

I'm guessing that it would work as well. All this script does is "force" the AI's into the vehicle and command them to go to a point. Why wouldn't they go to a point in the air?

Its not a script its a command list, although I did use a script to make them follow that command list. You can get them to do this without scripts by just making the command list first tell them to get into the vehicle, then follow the points. I also did not really force the ai into the vehicle, I simply used a different command list to tell them to get in. Air vehicles will sometimes go crazy and lose control if a point is behind them but it can work.

Officer egg

Dancing is forbidden.

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 02:46 AM    Msg. 18 of 38       
Useful thread.

megahalofan12

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 03:21 AM    Msg. 19 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: megahalofan12

Its not a script its a command list, although I did use a script to make them follow that command list. You can get them to do this without scripts by just making the command list first tell them to get into the vehicle, then follow the points. I also did not really force the ai into the vehicle, I simply used a different command list to tell them to get in. Air vehicles will sometimes go crazy and lose control if a point is behind them but it can work.

Is it even possible to tell them to go to a point without a command list, just scripting?

Gamma927

Posted: Jan 2, 2009 11:21 AM    Msg. 20 of 38       
How about setting a command list, and referring to it using a script? That way, everyone wins :D

(ai_command_list [ai] [command list])

k9colin

Piss Off I'm -BLAM!-ing

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 02:24 PM    Msg. 21 of 38       
If for example a flying vehicle goes to a point, and its next point is directly behind it, is it possible to command the ai to turn first, then go to the point?

EDIT: Ooh, and is it possible in scripting to attach a point to an object like a player or another vehicle, so the ai goes to that object. I'm not really looking for alternatives, I just want to know if it is possible.
Edited by k9colin on Jan 9, 2009 at 02:26 PM

adumbass

Posted: Jan 9, 2009 02:45 PM    Msg. 22 of 38       
I'm pretty sure its possible to make the ai look at a point. I think the command was "Look". I haven't really done anything with ai for a while so I don't exactly remember. As for attaching a point to an object.. I don't think that can be done, but I could be wrong.

iTails

The lot of idiots on this forum are veterans

Posted: May 1, 2009 05:03 PM    Msg. 23 of 38       
Nice tut. I will need this in the future :)

Ninjadude

Posted: May 7, 2009 03:49 AM    Msg. 24 of 38       
Thnx for this.

Tayo t84

This is meh happy face

Posted: May 17, 2009 09:14 PM    Msg. 25 of 38       
This works really well

cybykillers

Tanky likes to eat babies for lunch >:)

Posted: May 28, 2009 08:02 PM    Msg. 26 of 38       
im kind of new to modding so can anyone tell me how to get the ai to get into the warthog?

Gamma927

Posted: May 28, 2009 08:03 PM    Msg. 27 of 38       
Scripts or command lists. Preferably scripts.

Rempalm

You just need the proper key to open it.

Posted: May 28, 2009 10:01 PM    Msg. 28 of 38       
Did any one see at the bottom of the sapien it says (Microsoft is G4y?) really , it said that!

Any way thanks, This helped me cause the warthog always stopped at the last Point.

Advancebo

Posted: May 28, 2009 10:05 PM    Msg. 29 of 38       
Because its not Sapien, its Ahobo, modification of Sapien by Kornman.

cybykillers

Posted: May 29, 2009 12:04 AM    Msg. 30 of 38       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
Scripts or command lists. Preferably scripts.

im trying to make a mp map not a sp map. so can u tell me how to get them in a vehicle? like do i just make a command for the ai to get into a vehicle called "vehicle"? and even if i do that how do i get them to go places

I just noticed that you didnt put a go into a vehicle command. how did you get the ai to go into the warthog without that command ?
Edited by cybykillers on May 29, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Codebrain

/meme

Posted: May 29, 2009 06:01 PM    Msg. 31 of 38       
Multiplayer maps can use scripts as well. How else does the door and wheel on H2_Zanzibar sync with all players? Without scripts, you would see people walk through the gate and see people hovering above the wheel.

What I am saying is, scripts can both be used in SP and in MP.

cybykillers

Posted: May 29, 2009 10:11 PM    Msg. 32 of 38       
ya but what do i put in the script to make the marine go in. i mean i can make him go in and i unchecked the ai driver unused. but it won't follow my command list and go to the points. i can get in but it just won't drive it

teknoman117

Posted: Sep 13, 2009 11:14 AM    Msg. 33 of 38       
This might be a bit dead, but that file is not on filefront anymore, any chance you still have it and can upload it to halomaps?
Edited by teknoman117 on Sep 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM

rUnRiOt

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 09:44 PM    Msg. 34 of 38       
how do you get to tags in a map?(im new to modding)

IcePhoenix

-Minor modeler-

Posted: Dec 4, 2010 10:03 PM    Msg. 35 of 38       
Dude, make a new thread instead of reviving a year old one which isn't even relevant to your question.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon November 11, 2019 6:46 PM 390 ms.
A Halo Maps Website