A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »More questions linger on, I shall ask and you shall answer (please)

Author Topic: More questions linger on, I shall ask and you shall answer (please) (18 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Rhydgaled Publications

I have many questions (can't fit URL in though)

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 10:11 AM    Msg. 1 of 18       
Seriously though, I need lots of help, and although I have asked before I haven't got answers. I have looked for tuts on some of these things and haven't found anything. Also can I have permission to bump the topic if I have more questions to add please, to save making new topics every time.

So, onto the questions:
1. How do you make it so you can damage a projectile by driving or walking near it?

2. How does the game tell which multiplayer map is which? (it isn't the map name, because all custom maps are treated the same way and battlecreak is beavercreak.map (or was it the other way round) yet the game still knows which name and picture to assign to each map.

3. Is there a script that can lock the game so no more players can join, no matter if sombody quits? (if there isn't how about checking how many players are there constantly and making the max players limit equal to that)?

4. Is there a script that can open a UI widget with a button on it that runs another script? (sort of like a second pause menu)

5. How long is a script tick/how many script ticks is 30 seconds?

6. This is the big question, in the main menu, how do you get multipule widgets to all replace themselves with another widget at once (or alternativly swap the whole solo_level_select_list.ui_widget_definition tag to a similar tag) without it exceptioning, freezing, or losing the map that was selected. (my attempts so far have all resulted in either an exception, a freeze or not actually switching the widgets.)

7. Why is it that all the rigged HALO 3 spartan bipeds I've seen in CE have messed up shoulders/hands when in-game with the default spartan's animations (including my rig)?

Thanks in advance if you can help, and remember I might add more sometime.

EDIT: Batch two of Questions!!

(2.) 1. If you script a player to change model permatation does this stay after the player respawns? Again, if you change the fp arms perm for a player with a script does this stay after the player respawns?

(2.) 2. Why do pepole say adding legs, extra bones, and animations to the fp arms model won't work?

(2.) 3. Can sombody make me a version of the colour select screen where the list of colour buttons is a spinner list like in the vehicles page of edit gametypes or tell me how to make it myself?

(2.) 4. Can you make animated bitmaps, like animated.gif files but in-game?

(2.) 5. If you're one of the few who I gave my Brute chopper model, has any progress been made on tagging it to work like the HALO 3 one? (by the way everyone else, it was really rubish in all respects but the model (which for me was good, but no way near the skill shown my some members here)).

Note: If it seems nobody here can answer any of my questions can you direct me to somewhere sombody can please? (at present the only fourms I am a member on are this one and Bungie.net (originally joined there to comment on HALO 3 beta))
Edited by Rhydgaled Publications on Feb 24, 2009 at 04:46 PM

black doom

we will never stop, we can win the "impossible"

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 11:28 AM    Msg. 2 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: Rhydgaled Publications
Seriously though, I need lots of help, and although I have asked before I haven't got answers. I have looked for tuts on some of these things and haven't found anything. Also can I have permission to bump the topic if I have more questions to add please, to save making new topics every time.

So, onto the questions:
1. How do you make it so you can damage a projectile by driving or walking near it?

2. How does the game tell which multiplayer map is which? (it isn't the map name, because all custom maps are treated the same way and battlecreak is beavercreak.map (or was it the other way round) yet the game still knows which name and picture to assign to each map.

3. Is there a script that can lock the game so no more players can join, no matter if sombody quits? (if there isn't how about checking how many players are there constantly and making the max players limit equal to that)?

4. Is there a script that can open a UI widget with a button on it that runs another script? (sort of like a second pause menu)

5. How long is a script tick/how many script ticks is 30 seconds?

6. This is the big question, in the main menu, how do you get multipule widgets to all replace themselves with another widget at once (or alternativly swap the whole solo_level_select_list.ui_widget_definition tag to a similar tag) without it exceptioning, freezing, or losing the map that was selected. (my attempts so far have all resulted in either an exception, a freeze or not actually switching the widgets.)

7. Why is it that all the rigged HALO 3 spartan bipeds I've seen in CE have messed up shoulders/hands when in-game with the default spartan's animations (including my rig)?

Thanks in advance if you can help, and remember I might add more sometime.

i cant answer most, but il try.

1. set projectile to detonade on impact, and make it ultra slow so it wont move. now, when someone goes into projectile, it will explode and damage.

2. normal maps only does that becuse its scripted into the UI which changes the following map names and appky a picture and an examine into it. custom map names are named by scenario name when tool compile it.

3. no, but theres a console commands to change the number of players that can join. i dont know how it works.

4. yes, but i dont know how.

6. possible, but i dont know how.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jan 31, 2009 04:48 PM    Msg. 3 of 18       
i think the problem with the rigs is that the MC is slightly taller in halo 2/3 making the shoulders and arms off a little but idk. It might also be something to do with the hands. Halo doesnt have fingers on the bipeds. It just has a hand, so that might have something to do with it idk

Rhydgaled Publications

Posted: Feb 2, 2009 04:42 PM    Msg. 4 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: black doom

1. set projectile to detonade on impact, and make it ultra slow so it wont move. now, when someone goes into projectile, it will explode and damage. I would have thourght that would only be when the projectile hits somthing it detonates, not if somthing hits the projectile. By the way, it's a grenade at the moment and I've got it to explode when shot, but not when a vehicle or biped passes by

2. normal maps only does that becuse its scripted into the UI which changes the following map names and appky a picture and an examine into it. custom map names are named by scenario name when tool compile it.It isn't a script, Zteam released the scripts and there's only camera movement related scripts in there I think, maybe it has somthing to do with the multiplayer scenarios.multiplayer_scenario_description tag, but I've messed with that a bit and no joy yet

3. no, but theres a console commands to change the number of players that can join. i dont know how it works.

4. yes, but i dont know how. There is!! can sombody tell me please, I haven't managed to find any script comands relating to UI widgets

Comments in brown Italics

Thanks for trying to help, although I'm still stuck right now. I've got a second batch of questions too, I'll edit the original post in a sec.

Some of the first batch of questions are to do with my attempt at a new kind of syncing script (mostly for destoryable vehicles), the idea is the players are frozen at the start for a given length of time with a UI Widget open with a button that allows the script to skip forward, to where the players are un-frozen and new players are prevented from joining (the idea is inspired by matchmaking in HALO 3).

black doom

Posted: Feb 3, 2009 09:22 AM    Msg. 5 of 18       

1. set projectile to detonade on impact, and make it ultra slow so it wont move. now, when someone goes into projectile, it will explode and damage. I would have thourght that would only be when the projectile hits somthing it detonates, not if somthing hits the projectile. By the way, it's a grenade at the moment and I've got it to explode when shot, but not when a vehicle or biped passes by

2. normal maps only does that becuse its scripted into the UI which changes the following map names and appky a picture and an examine into it. custom map names are named by scenario name when tool compile it.It isn't a script, Zteam released the scripts and there's only camera movement related scripts in there I think, maybe it has somthing to do with the multiplayer scenarios.multiplayer_scenario_description tag, but I've messed with that a bit and no joy yet

4. yes, but i dont know how. There is!! can sombody tell me please, I haven't managed to find any script comands relating to UI widgets

Comments in brown Italics

Thanks for trying to help, although I'm still stuck right now. I've got a second batch of questions too, I'll edit the original post in a sec.

Some of the first batch of questions are to do with my attempt at a new kind of syncing script (mostly for destoryable vehicles), the idea is the players are frozen at the start for a given length of time with a UI Widget open with a button that allows the script to skip forward, to where the players are un-frozen and new players are prevented from joining (the idea is inspired by matchmaking in HALO 3).

1. i think theres an option to change the projectile collision.

2.by scripted into the UI i ment by tags.

3. download halo scripting bible. theres console commands to change it.

4. its a UI tag.

Rhydgaled Publications

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 11:23 AM    Msg. 6 of 18       

1. i think theres an option to change the projectile collision. ????

2.by scripted into the UI i ment by tags. Any idea which tags these settings are in? because I can't find it, if it is in a tag

3. download halo scripting bible. theres console commands to change it. I saw that in hs doc, but I don't know how to go about actually finding out how many palyers are currently in the server so that I can set the max number of players to equal that

4. its a UI tag.I need to open a UI widget while there is no UI widgets currently open, so I can't use a UI tag unless there's some game event it can detect and open itself.

black doom

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 11:42 AM    Msg. 7 of 18       

1. i think theres an option to change the projectile collision. ????

2.by scripted into the UI i ment by tags. Any idea which tags these settings are in? because I can't find it, if it is in a tag

3. download halo scripting bible. theres console commands to change it. I saw that in hs doc, but I don't know how to go about actually finding out how many palyers are currently in the server so that I can set the max number of players to equal that

4. its a UI tag.I need to open a UI widget while there is no UI widgets currently open, so I can't use a UI tag unless there's some game event it can detect and open itself.

1.by projectile collision i ment i saw a collision radius field in the projectile tag which is probaly it.

3. i think its easy to see how many players in the currect server. press f1, and count the players.

Rhydgaled Publications

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 11:49 AM    Msg. 8 of 18       
1.by projectile collision i ment i saw a collision radius field in the projectile tag which is probaly it.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

3. i think its easy to see how many players in the currect server. press f1, and count the players.

There I go again, not making myself clear, maybe this will help explain:

The script needs to know how many players are in the server at all times, so that it can keep changing the max players to equal the number of players currently in the server. If there was just a built-in script to lock the server until the end of the game, to ensure nobody can join after the "matchmaking time" even if players quit.

black doom

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 11:59 AM    Msg. 9 of 18       
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

There I go again, not making myself clear, maybe this will help explain:

The script needs to know how many players are in the server at all times, so that it can keep changing the max players to equal the number of players currently in the server. If there was just a built-in script to lock the server until the end of the game, to ensure nobody can join after the "matchmaking time" even if players quit.

i think i saw a password setting script at halo scripting bible. you cant join a server locked with a password.

Molonky500

Xfire;killermax5

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 09:37 PM    Msg. 10 of 18       
The reason that it wont work if u add extra bones and geometry to the arms is b/c the arms attached to the camara so when u look DOWN the legs would move with the camara making this pointless

Rhydgaled Publications

Posted: Feb 8, 2009 08:21 AM    Msg. 11 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: Molonky500
The reason that it wont work if u add extra bones and geometry to the arms is b/c the arms attached to the camara so when u look DOWN the legs would move with the camara making this pointless

Can't you just make a looking down animation that moves the legs in the opposite direction to the one the camera is moving them in??

Unfortunatly changing the collison radius thing on my projectile didn't have the desired effect (ok I'll spill the beans, it's supposed to be a trip-mine, at the momment it blows up when shot but I want vehicles driving near it or bipeds walking near it to set it off).

Also the following are the more urgent questions:
2. How does the game tell which multiplayer map is which?

3. Is there a script that can lock the game so no more players can join, no matter if sombody quits? (We've made some progress so far in this topic (thanks) but we're not quite there yet.)

4. Is there a script that can open a UI widget with a button on it that runs another script?

6. In the main menu, how do you get multipule widgets to all replace themselves with another widget at once (or alternativly swap the whole solo_level_select_list.ui_widget_definition tag to a similar tag) without it exceptioning, freezing, or losing the map that was selected. (my attempts so far have all resulted in either an exception, a freeze or not actually switching the widgets.)

(2.) 3. Can sombody make me a version of the colour select screen where the list of colour buttons is a spinner list like in the vehicles page of edit gametypes or tell me how to make it myself?

Molonky500

Xfire;killermax5

Posted: Feb 8, 2009 04:58 PM    Msg. 12 of 18       
No, u cant add that animation, because halo, or guerrilla or w/e that doesnt allow it work doesnt have the option

Rhydgaled Publications

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 01:43 PM    Msg. 13 of 18       
No, u cant add that animation, because halo, or guerrilla or w/e that doesnt allow it work doesnt have the option

WHAT!! There's no way to add a look down animation for fp!! The more I hear about the HALO engine, the more rubbish it sounds, yet I look at CMT and Zteam and go WOW, this is amazing, why didn't Bungie make HALO 1 this good if the engine can do that.

Anyway I have another question, not urgent anymore but I've tried a few things to fix this problem and failed. I have a tool error in a jms I exported from max 7 at college using bluestreak (I only have max 5 at home and I need to transfer the file to work on at home). Tool says:

Crasy looking HEX values here
Exception halt in .\intermediate_geometry.c,#444: triangle->material_index>=0 &&
triangle->material_index(old_material_count

Edited by Rhydgaled Publications on Feb 13, 2009 at 07:39 AM

MF Boom

I am the bone of my sword...

Posted: Feb 11, 2009 05:47 PM    Msg. 14 of 18       

WHAT!! There's no way to add a look down animation for fp!! The more I hear about the HALO engine, the more rubbish it sounds, yet I look at CMT and Zteam and go WOW, this is amazing, why didn't Bungie make HALO 1 this good if the engine can do that.

Halo 1 was intended to run on PC's with 128 MB of memory, a 32 MB video card, and a 733 MHz processor; on a 56k modem for that fact...

As it is, what everyone has managed to figure out how to make it do in the first place, is ridiculously impressive... I'm not complaining, since until Halo 3, none of the Halo games had viewable legs in first-person, and most FPS didn't at all. I got used to it.

Rhydgaled Publications

Posted: Feb 24, 2009 04:49 PM    Msg. 15 of 18       
Quote: --- Reminder:
The following are currently the more urgent questions:

3. Is there a script that can lock the game so no more players can join, no matter if sombody quits? (We've made some progress so far in this topic (thanks) but we're not quite there yet.)

4. Is there a script that can open a UI widget with a button on it that runs another script?

6. In the main menu, how do you get multipule widgets to all replace themselves with another widget at once (or alternativly swap the whole solo_level_select_list.ui_widget_definition tag to a similar tag) without it exceptioning, freezing, or losing the map that was selected. (my attempts so far have all resulted in either an exception, a freeze or not actually switching the widgets.)

I also have added yet another question (not one of the more urgent ones):
If you're one of the few who I gave my Brute chopper model, has any progress been made on tagging it to work like the HALO 3 one?

MF Boom

I am the bone of my sword...

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 02:52 AM    Msg. 16 of 18       
Quote: --- Reminder:
The following are currently the more urgent questions:

I also have added yet another question (not one of the more urgent ones):
If you're one of the few who I gave my Brute chopper model, has any progress been made on tagging it to work like the HALO 3 one?

In your quote, the question "3" about locking the game so no more players can join... Just type sv_password "(password)", and then noone else can join without the password. That's pretty simple... That, and the sv_player_limit are the only ways to really "lock" the game.

To the fourth question, yes there is. Look back at Coldsnap with the "Time of Day" feature. How to use it? I dunno. I don't know the script... But you can get the script from searching the CE section of HaloMaps files. Look at that, maybe you'll figure it out easier than I did.

Animated bitmaps are possible, but I'm not sure how. Stuntman accomplished a television screen with scrolling credits in his map Olympus Mons; perhaps the next time he signs on, I'll ask if he can explain how he did it, but I wouldn't guarantee an answer.

Rhydgaled Publications

Posted: Mar 10, 2009 01:30 PM    Msg. 17 of 18       
Quote: --- Original message by: MF Boom
In your quote, the question "3" about locking the game so no more players can join... Just type sv_password "(password)", and then noone else can join without the password. That's pretty simple... That, and the sv_player_limit are the only ways to really "lock" the game.

Ok, I've tried sv_player_limit out and it is what I'm using at the moment, but I need a script that finds out how many players there are in the game, so it can continuously set the player limit to equal the current number of players in the game.

Quote: To the fourth question, yes there is. Look back at Coldsnap with the "Time of Day" feature. How to use it? I dunno. I don't know the script... But you can get the script from searching the CE section of HaloMaps files. Look at that, maybe you'll figure it out easier than I did.
Sorry, I obviosly didn't make myself clear on that one. I know you can make a UI widget button run a script, but I want to be able to open a ui widget WHEN NO UI WIDGETS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN.

Quote: Animated bitmaps are possible, but I'm not sure how. Stuntman accomplished a television screen with scrolling credits in his map Olympus Mons; perhaps the next time he signs on, I'll ask if he can explain how he did it, but I wouldn't guarantee an answer.
That's done via a shader I think, I could probablly figure out how to do that and make an extra bsp which is just a wall with the animated bitmap on it. I would perfer it if I could actually make a .bitmap animate, so it can be used as the backgroud for a UI widget.

sparky

Jesus is a friend to the vindictive sociopath

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 11:41 PM    Msg. 18 of 18       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 01:30 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri January 17, 2020 8:23 AM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website