A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »How do you create transparent shafts of light?

Author Topic: How do you create transparent shafts of light? (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Merkatroyd

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 09:29 PM    Msg. 1 of 5       
I am creating a map with a massive secret underground cavern. in it, there will be a massive hole in the cieling, and a wrecked human ship will be resting on the floor. a large shaft of light will be shining down on it.
My question is, how do you create shafts of light? I understand that you need to create the geometry of it, but how do you create transparent textures for it, and how do you make it illuminate? also, it will have particles of dust in it, so will a scrolling texture (like in a stream?) make it more realistic? this is the effect I am aiming for.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6097200-lg.jpg
Also, music will be playing in the background, but only when you find the cavern. how do I do this?

My main concern is creating transparent textures in photoshop. will they be as visibly transparent in gmax as in the game? or does it involve something else in the halo editing kit?

BeachParty clan

Sooo... You wanna switch to Red team huh?

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 08:37 AM    Msg. 2 of 5       
you need to make a sector in the BSP to achieve that, as the lights in halo are primitive and don't make beams, but just light it up to a certain level and apply the bitmap as filter.

So if you want to make it look like a beam as in really cool realistic, make
-a sector
-add a weather system, make the wind go up and place some particles in
-add a light fogscreen in to make it look like light
-make a lighsource

well that's it, simple but also hard since it's much work for something that little, unless it's gonna be a total epic cutscene =P

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Mar 5, 2009 08:46 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
I would look at the b40 foglight light fixture. it has a nice beem that has dust/fog in it and illuminates things behind it. But it doen't make any light for radiosity. I think it's a volumetric light. not sure. But it's similar to what you're thinking of. Look at the model, light tag, etc.

electricSquid

Get ready for some chocolate pain...

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 11:41 AM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Quote: --- Original message by: Merkatroyd
I am creating a map with a massive secret underground cavern. in it, there will be a massive hole in the cieling, and a wrecked human ship will be resting on the floor. a large shaft of light will be shining down on it.
My question is, how do you create shafts of light? I understand that you need to create the geometry of it, but how do you create transparent textures for it, and how do you make it illuminate? also, it will have particles of dust in it, so will a scrolling texture (like in a stream?) make it more realistic? this is the effect I am aiming for.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6097200-lg.jpg
Also, music will be playing in the background, but only when you find the cavern. how do I do this?

My main concern is creating transparent textures in photoshop. will they be as visibly transparent in gmax as in the game? or does it involve something else in the halo editing kit?

Sorry about straying from the topic a bit, but is it going to be a Pelican or an Albatross? (The Albatross is a UNSC heavy-lift and cargo transport air vehicle) The Albatrosses make me lol, since in every map they've appeared in, they're crashed headfirst into some kind of sand dune. *EPIC DESIGN FAIL* That is, unless that's their method of cargo delivery...

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 6, 2009 05:12 PM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Just create a plane or tube with the spot you want to have the shaft of light on. Then create a texture with a gradient and alpha defining one end transparent (end of shaft) and the source of light colored (beginning of shaft). Apply that to the plane and have it so the transparent is at the end and the beginning at the top. Make the shader named with the 2 sided and no collision symbols. Export it and try it ingame.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 27, 2020 10:33 AM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website