A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Death Triggers

Author Topic: Death Triggers (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

RemnantDark

X-Fire: Serioussharpshooter

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 09:26 PM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Ive searched the forum for almost an hour now and I have not stumbled upon anything explaining how to actually make a "Death Trigger" or a Death Zone. I Have seen this being used in many maps to kill a player but I would like to know how to incorporate into mine. My goal is that when someone hits the bottom of a shallow pond or stream (REALLY SHALLOW) they die. Also I would like to make it so that when someone scores the flag they die, if anyone can help me with that.

*Note* Please don't tell me to make it deep enough so that they die. =P.

Thanks for any help in advance,

~Remnant Dark

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Mar 14, 2009 10:53 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
For killboxes, just place a trigger volume around the area where the player should step. It's in Game Data. Right click to place, and drag the box around to your liking. Then, create a script (I can hear the sighs already). Use the Easy Halo Scripter v2 to create it for you. Save it in data\levels\[directory of your map] as an .hsc file. Then, in Sapien, hit CTRL + SHIFT + C to compile scripts. Save, compile, and it should work. As for the flag, I have no idea.

RemnantDark

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 08:23 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Thanks guys

Gamma927

Posted: Mar 15, 2009 08:57 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: mastur cheef
i didn't use flags to place a killbox just a trigger + script

For flag, I meant the CTF flag.

Gamma927

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 11:23 AM    Msg. 5 of 10       
In halo 2 and 3 assault, those who die don't die because they scored. They died because they were close to the bomb. I ran a few experiments, and I lived once. Another famous example was in Grifball, when someone survived the score. Highlights Week 2.

RemnantDark

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 05:19 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
=D yeah that would be great if we could make it so when you score you die.

I think I am just going to put a death trigger a little after the place where you score the flag so when you get in to score the flag and you move .1 cm more forward then you will die, but I am sure people will find another way to score the flag without dieing...

Also I would like to know if you would go through a flag base if there was no ground below it and you happened to drop down on it so you would score the flag and then drop down into like a spike pit or something...

Gamma927

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 06:25 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
The flag base doesn't designate where you score. It's just a piece of scenery. To score, you require netgame flags, so as long as you touched that flag on the way to the spike pit, you would get the point before dying.

Me KS

Desire is Reality. Xfire: jetmaster23

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 09:24 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
You're not going to prevent them from scoring a point. However, if you want them to die when they do score:

(global object_definition flag_v "weapons\flag\flag")

(global short player_num 0)

(script static "void" kill_scorers
(if
(and
(or
(volume_test_object "volume over red flag" (list_get (players) player_num))
(volume_test_object "volume over blue flag" (list_get (players) player_num))
)
(unit_has_weapon (unit (list_get (players) player_num)) flag_v)
)
(unit_kill (unit (list_get (players) player_num)))
)
)

(script static "void" manage_numbers
(set player_num (+ player_num 1))
(if
(> player_num 15)
(set player_num 0)
)
)

(script continuous manage_murder
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers) ; 4
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers) ; 8
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers) ; 12
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers)
(manage_numbers)
(kill_scorers) ; 16
(manage_numbers)
)

Just put a trigger volume not much larger than the size of the player right over the netgame flag for each team's flag, and put its name in the script. Then, any player that walks into either trigger volume with the flag in their hands dies. It won't kill players without the flag.

Only problem that can't be avoided is for those who want to grab the flag: they might be killed the moment they grab the flag. But, since there's no way to distinguish between teams, that can't be fixed, and that would happen whether you use my script or a plain old kill script anyways.

RemnantDark

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 10:48 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
Thanks a load for that script xD

But as you said it wouldn't make a difference if I used it because the person picking up the flag would die anyways making it impossible to score in general =P.

Appreciate your help though.

Maybe it could be used for something else though I don't know what you would use it for... maybe even out game play if one path is too short to go from base to base with the flag and its cheap so put energy shield scenery there and use your script to kill em... would work like Snowbound except for flag users make more balanced game play =D

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 08:29 AM    Msg. 10 of 10       
KS, cant you add in an object like "red_flag" and "blue_flag". Instead of the netgame blue/red flag, you have a weapon where you pick it up instead. Like in Halo 3. And when you get to the score location, it changes the weapon flag to the netgame flag. Or it scores the point like a normal flag.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon December 9, 2019 3:19 AM 1,344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website