A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Maps Sponsored Official CMT Thread

Page 3 of 94 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 94 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Halo Maps Sponsored Official CMT Thread (3263 messages, Page 3 of 94)
Moderators: Dennis

Cagerrin

uh oh

Posted: May 16, 2009 05:03 AM    Msg. 71 of 3263       
Explain how it is not possible. Explain the existence of Flood-controlled vehicles such as Warthogs, Scorpions, and Pelicans.

Explain the method which the Flood infection forms use to take control of a body. Do you understand how that works? How your nervous system works? If you did, you would not discount the idea of Flood interfacing with systems which utilize electrical impulses in order to function.

E: Whoops, messed up the quote, post is directed at Nexus Halo's comment several posts above this one.
Edited by Cagerrin on May 16, 2009 at 05:04 AM

Auxor

Ever drunk Baileys out of a shoe?

Posted: May 16, 2009 05:06 AM    Msg. 72 of 3263       
Actually the Flood controlled vehicles in Halo 2 are just controlled by Flood forms that are capable to driving them (albeit quite badly) not by taking them over directly.

I'm not against Flentinels though because they seem pretty interesting gameplay wise.

Cagerrin

uh oh

Posted: May 16, 2009 05:13 AM    Msg. 73 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: Auxor
Actually the Flood controlled vehicles in Halo 2 are just controlled by Flood forms that are capable to driving them (albeit quite badly) not by taking them over directly.

I'm not against Flentinels though because they seem pretty interesting gameplay wise.

True enough, now that I think back to it. The Pelican on High Charity, though, had a lump of Flood biomass fused with its cockpit.

Flood take over a host by substituting themselves for the host's existing brain via jacking into the spine or equivalent. They then send electrical impulses analogous to nerve signals through the host nervous system, allowing them to control it. Electrical impulses. The same thing that goes though computers and, say, Sentinel processors. And given the adaptability of such signals(note that Flood can control more than one particular species), it's not at all impossible for their control to extend to hosts of a mechanical nature.
Edited by Cagerrin on May 16, 2009 at 05:15 AM

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: May 16, 2009 05:18 AM    Msg. 74 of 3263       
Seems to me that the storyline was screwed up when Bungie went to Halo 2 , they claimed there was a gravemind when in the orginal Halo , we never encountered one , unless Keyes counts. Besides , the orginal idea of the flood were that they were Space Zombies without any intelligence , just instinct and are able to take over an entire galaxy , that would mean they cant really do much , let alone drive.
Back on topic , Masterz1337 has the final say on what can be or cannot be in the mod or all the nitty gritty details , down to the last pixel , so he can forget about whatever is or not related to the auctual story. It's called a MOD , hello. I dont see anyone complaining that the Brutes shouldnt be in there. If so , why complain about Flentinels?

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: May 16, 2009 08:01 AM    Msg. 75 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: Cagerrin

Quote: --- Original message by: Auxor

True enough, now that I think back to it. The Pelican on High Charity, though, had a lump of Flood biomass fused with its cockpit.

Flood take over a host by substituting themselves for the host's existing brain via jacking into the spine or equivalent. They then send electrical impulses analogous to nerve signals through the host nervous system, allowing them to control it. Electrical impulses. The same thing that goes though computers and, say, Sentinel processors. And given the adaptability of such signals(note that Flood can control more than one particular species), it's not at all impossible for their control to extend to hosts of a mechanical nature.

Read the first paragraph.
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Flood

Quote: "the flood are an extragalactic inter-connected collective parasitic organism that survives by consuming sentient life forms of sufficient biomass and cognitive capability"

Saying a flood parasite can infect a sentinel is the same as me taking my PC to Mexico and it develops the swine flu. It's not possible. A Sentinel isn't a life form, a parasite would want to survive by infecting a human or covenant. Why would it commit suicide and attempt to hack a Sentinel? If a Sentinel is anything like a PC it would have a processor that dealt with a sequence of numbers. Let's just hope it doesn't run on Vista.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 16, 2009 09:19 AM    Msg. 76 of 3263       
Just because it can't happen in reality, doesn't mean you can't use your imagination in this game and have fun.. I think it's pretty cool, even if it wouldn't happen.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: May 16, 2009 09:27 AM    Msg. 77 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nexus Halo
The Sentinels are machines, they can't be infected thus making that model lame..

Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927

After the Forerunner-Flood war, the flood were contained, and many of the Forerunner's creations fell into disuse.
Without the constant threat of the Flood, most of the Sentinels on Installation 4 were deactivated to conserve power.
They were still deactivated when Covenant forces released the flood on accident. Although the Monitor tried his best
to activate as many as he could, several platoons stayed dormant. During one of the Flood's scouting party's for
a way off of the ring, a squad of Flood ran into the dormant Sentinels. Since they needed extra firepower to break
through the Covenant' heavily defended ships, they decided to capture the sentinels. Several Flood Spores were
deposited on the Sentinels, and grew into the flood blobs. With a little tampering to the circuitry of the Sentinels,
the now "flentinels" came under the control of the Flood. However, in order to allow the flood to take control of the
sentinel, several key systems had to be disabled, namely the weapon systems. The flood improvised, and use these as
suicide bombers instead, because of the Sentinel's violate reaction to plasma and human weapons.

Find a flaw with this explanation. Flood spores have been used to take control of machinery, like on High Charity.
Edited by Gamma927 on May 16, 2009 at 09:29 AM

Ninjadude

Posted: May 16, 2009 10:09 AM    Msg. 78 of 3263       
^True dat, also Halo 3's plot would have been very different if not for flood control of machinery.

Headhunter09

This is the truth.

Posted: May 16, 2009 10:30 AM    Msg. 79 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: Cocaine
Seems to me that the storyline was screwed up when Bungie went to Halo 2 , they claimed there was a gravemind when in the original Halo , we never encountered one , unless Keyes counts. Besides , the original idea of the flood were that they were Space Zombies without any intelligence , just instinct and are able to take over an entire galaxy , that would mean they cant really do much , let alone drive.
Back on topic , Masterz1337 has the final say on what can be or cannot be in the mod or all the nitty gritty details , down to the last pixel , so he can forget about whatever is or not related to the actual story. It's called a MOD , hello. I dont see anyone complaining that the Brutes shouldn't be in there. If so , why complain about Flentinels?

The conditions surrounding the two Halo events are quite different, thus warranting a little variation. For instance, the first Halo was quite secure and working, until the Covenant released the Flood. Keyes was a proto-gravemind, built to fly the ship that the Flood had captured (not T&R). The second halo had been dysfunctional for centuries, as the monitor had been overtaken by the Flood, and the Sentinel defense system was failing. This allowed a Gravemind to develop, something that there was no time or need for on Alpha Halo.

Also, Flentinels are not infected by the Flood, they have Flood biomass infesting their spaces and limbs. This biomass presumably has another organism at its center, one already to deformed or weak to perform direct battle. The Flood organism forcibly controls the sentinel, overriding its control centers are instead actual manipulating the fields and servo-motors used to control the sentinel's movement. It can also control the firing mechanism by directly stimulating the power source and shaping the lens with Flood biomass.

Of course, it doesn't really matter. Who cares if Flentinels break canon? For one, Halo 1 already breaks canon somewhat with the other games. Many things are canon-breakers (like multiplayer, and I'm sure you play multiplayer a lot, but I don't see you complaining out it), but you know what? It doesn't really matter, because its a game. The point of a game is gameplay, and story is a secondary consideration as long as it is fun. Sure it improves the experience to have a coherent story, but have you ever tried creating a fun map that completely fits within canon? Probably not. Leave storyline to the books and just play the game for its gameplay.

Lone Warrior

-Himalayan Wizard and Mystical Guru of the Mts.-

Posted: May 16, 2009 10:35 AM    Msg. 80 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: Headhunter09
Quote: --- Original message by: Cocaine
Seems to me that the storyline was screwed up when Bungie went to Halo 2 , they claimed there was a gravemind when in the original Halo , we never encountered one , unless Keyes counts. Besides , the original idea of the flood were that they were Space Zombies without any intelligence , just instinct and are able to take over an entire galaxy , that would mean they cant really do much , let alone drive.
Back on topic , Masterz1337 has the final say on what can be or cannot be in the mod or all the nitty gritty details , down to the last pixel , so he can forget about whatever is or not related to the actual story. It's called a MOD , hello. I dont see anyone complaining that the Brutes shouldn't be in there. If so , why complain about Flentinels?

The conditions surrounding the two Halo events are quite different, thus warranting a little variation. For instance, the first Halo was quite secure and working, until the Covenant released the Flood. Keyes was a proto-gravemind, built to fly the ship that the Flood had captured (not T&R). The second halo had been dysfunctional for centuries, as the monitor had been overtaken by the Flood, and the Sentinel defense system was failing. This allowed a Gravemind to develop, something that there was no time or need for on Alpha Halo. I think your missing the point I've been saying in all my posts regarding this. Master Chief did not see or encounter a Gravemind, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Also, Flentinels are not infected by the Flood, they have Flood biomass infesting their spaces and limbs. This biomass presumably has another organism at its center, one already to deformed or weak to perform direct battle. The Flood organism forcibly controls the sentinel, overriding its control centers are instead actual manipulating the fields and servo-motors used to control the sentinel's movement. It can also control the firing mechanism by directly stimulating the power source and shaping the lens with Flood biomass. Agreed.

Of course, it doesn't really matter. Who cares if Flentinels break canon? For one, Halo 1 already breaks canon somewhat with the other games. Many things are canon-breakers (like multiplayer, and I'm sure you play multiplayer a lot, but I don't see you complaining out it), but you know what? It doesn't really matter, because its a game. The point of a game is gameplay, and story is a secondary consideration as long as it is fun. Sure it improves the experience to have a coherent story, but have you ever tried creating a fun map that completely fits within canon? Probably not. Leave storyline to the books and just play the game for its gameplay. As far as I'm concerned this guy knows what he's talking about in this area. Gameplay is ALWAYS first, the story-line is next.

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: May 16, 2009 12:39 PM    Msg. 81 of 3263       
Masterz said Flentinels aren't in the mod to begin with end of story.

CrossFade

Karrde's awesome brother.

Posted: May 16, 2009 12:47 PM    Msg. 82 of 3263       
But Lone, you don't seem to unserstand that the Master Chief was only on Halo for 3 days before he destroyed it, and the flood were released on the second day. 2 days is not enough time for a Gravemind to develop. They were starting a Gravemind on the Truth and Reconciliation, and I will admit that it is possible that they were developing in other places on the ring as well, but there was no Gravemind developed to the point that it could be conciously controlling the flood. They were all operating on instinct. That would explain why the Flood in Halo 2 could control vehicles and even High Charity: because they had a sentient Gravemind that was fully developed and could issue commands on how to work those things.

Gamma927

Posted: May 16, 2009 01:26 PM    Msg. 83 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: CrossFade
But Lone, you don't seem to unserstand that the Master Chief was only on Halo for 3 days before he destroyed it, and the flood were released on the second day. 2 days is not enough time for a Gravemind to develop. They were starting a Gravemind on the Truth and Reconciliation, and I will admit that it is possible that they were developing in other places on the ring as well, but there was no Gravemind developed to the point that it could be conciously controlling the flood. They were all operating on instinct. That would explain why the Flood in Halo 2 could control vehicles and even High Charity: because they had a sentient Gravemind that was fully developed and could issue commands on how to work those things.

So you're saying that proto-graveminds are too primitive to issue commands? The proto-gravemind on the Truth and Reconciliation was designed purely to take control of the ship, and escape. Each proto-gravemind is goal-oriented, while a fully-developed gravemind is in charge of all the flood. Even though proto-graveminds are designed specifically for a task, they still are strategic thinkers, and will do what must be done to complete their objective.

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: May 16, 2009 01:29 PM    Msg. 84 of 3263       
would the world blow up if the flood were smart without a gravemind?you guys are taking a game a little too seriously.Anyway, could you stop arguing over something that has nothing to do with spv2 in a spv2 thread?if you want I'll make a flood-only comment thread.as for the flentinels,no big deal.a flood blob fell on and or ambushed a setinel hacking it and re wiring the machine to change what it sees as friend or foe.A rogue sentinel,to be precise,I'm sorry for wasting anyones time and will state no more on this off-topic matter.

Lone Warrior

-Himalayan Wizard and Mystical Guru of the Mts.-

Posted: May 16, 2009 01:29 PM    Msg. 85 of 3263       

Sent you a pm with an explanation as if I posted it would drag this thing even more off-topic than it already is.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: May 16, 2009 01:41 PM    Msg. 86 of 3263       
Let it drop guys.....

Headhunter09

This is the truth.

Posted: May 16, 2009 01:52 PM    Msg. 87 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927

So you're saying that proto-graveminds are too primitive to issue commands? The proto-gravemind on the Truth and Reconciliation was designed purely to take control of the ship, and escape. Each proto-gravemind is goal-oriented, while a fully-developed gravemind is in charge of all the flood. Even though proto-graveminds are designed specifically for a task, they still are strategic thinkers, and will do what must be done to complete their objective.

argh... it wasn't the T&R...

CrossFade

Karrde's awesome brother.

Posted: May 16, 2009 01:57 PM    Msg. 88 of 3263       
Yes it was, read the books.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: May 16, 2009 01:58 PM    Msg. 89 of 3263       
Not even 4 pages in yet...
E: wow, my post started the 4th page >_>
Edited by UnevenElefant5 on May 16, 2009 at 01:58 PM

Headhunter09

This is the truth.

Posted: May 16, 2009 02:11 PM    Msg. 90 of 3263       
Yes it was, read the books.

Actually, I have, but now I just got proven wrong by Gamma, so w/e. Fuzzy memory.

Arteen

Posted: May 16, 2009 03:13 PM    Msg. 91 of 3263       
If Gravemind could control 2401 PT, then Flood can take over sentinels.

Advancebo

Posted: May 16, 2009 03:15 PM    Msg. 92 of 3263       
Actually Gravemind just held onto the monitor of Delta Halo. Thats why it looks like hes always trying to get away.
Edited by Advancebo on May 16, 2009 at 03:16 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
We have the movable crates in some parts of a50 and b30.

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=399031&postcount=1907
Edited by Advancebo on May 16, 2009 at 03:19 PM

More pics:

Edited by Advancebo on May 16, 2009 at 03:31 PM

delta49

I don't always make shaders..

Posted: May 16, 2009 03:30 PM    Msg. 93 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: Advancebo

Actually Gravemind just held onto the monitor of Delta Halo. Thats why it looks like hes always trying to get away.

I think that he was somehow controlling Tangent, because when Gravemind says his last quote before bringing up Regret and Tangent, it sort of sounds like Graveminds voice is fading into Tangent's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9fUwIYBzns&fmt=22 Beteween 1:20 and 1:23 (Most noticeably at 1:21)

Arteen

Posted: May 16, 2009 03:32 PM    Msg. 94 of 3263       

In that scene, it seems to me that Gravemind is manipulating both PT and Regret. They say exactly what Gravemind wants them to say, even if they don't realize how much Gravemind controls them.

Advancebo

Posted: May 16, 2009 03:35 PM    Msg. 95 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: Arteen

In that scene, it seems to me that Gravemind is manipulating both PT and Regret. They say exactly what Gravemind wants them to say, even if they don't realize how much Gravemind controls them.

So they are like dolls or toys to the Gravemind?

electricSquid

Get ready for some chocolate pain...

Posted: May 16, 2009 03:38 PM    Msg. 96 of 3263       

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
We have the movable crates in some parts of a50 and b30.

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showpost.php?p=399031&postcount=1907
Edited by Advancebo on May 16, 2009 at 03:19 PM

More pics:

Edited by Advancebo on May 16, 2009 at 03:31 PM

Awesomesauce is awesome. How well does this bode for those without good graphics, though? :\

Advancebo

Posted: May 16, 2009 03:43 PM    Msg. 97 of 3263       
Those are just renders. And like stated before, if you can run Spv1, you can run Spv2.

Also did you have to quote the pics to?

UnevenElefant5

Posted: May 16, 2009 03:46 PM    Msg. 98 of 3263       
The AA Wraith Cannons are epic win.

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: May 16, 2009 07:37 PM    Msg. 99 of 3263       
Hey Advance were are you getting those pics anyways?

Gamma927

Posted: May 16, 2009 07:40 PM    Msg. 100 of 3263       

Advancebo

Posted: May 16, 2009 09:01 PM    Msg. 101 of 3263       
Why did you repost that?

RyuXRyu

"DON'T HONK UR HORN WHEN IM TALKIN ON TELEVISION!"

Posted: May 16, 2009 09:22 PM    Msg. 102 of 3263       
First of all, in that cutscene, the monitor talks about trying to contain the flood, something that I doubt the gravemind would want to do, so I don't think he was controlling the monitor. Also, I honestly thought I was looking at the Halo 3 Wraith when I saw that picture. Those textures are downright sexy :D
Edited by RyuXRyu on May 16, 2009 at 09:22 PM

shadowslayer123

Not the american average

Posted: May 16, 2009 09:45 PM    Msg. 103 of 3263       
is there a release date estimate yet? if not oh well.... is it possible to include flood infected grunts or jackals, and the flentinel looks like a cow

UnevenElefant5

Posted: May 16, 2009 11:18 PM    Msg. 104 of 3263       
Quote: --- Original message by: shadowslayer123
is there a release date estimate yet? if not oh well.... is it possible to include flood infected grunts or jackals, and the flentinel looks like a cow

No release date. It'll be done when it's done. There are no Flood Jackals or Grunts as they both lack sufficient calcium to be good hosts for an infection form.

Gamma927

Posted: May 17, 2009 12:08 AM    Msg. 105 of 3263       
That doesn't mean they can't be hosts. As seen in Halo Wars, grunts and jackals can be infected. No matter how much you or me might dislike it, Bungie announced that anything done in Halo Wars will be canon.

Page 3 of 94 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8 · ... · 94 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu July 2, 2020 2:07 PM 2,172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website