A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »CTF Real life varient?

Author Topic: CTF Real life varient? (27 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 25, 2009 12:00 AM    Msg. 1 of 27       
I was just thinking, what do you guys think about having a real life type ctf ? Like in real life, when you play ctf, you don't use gun's you use people to get the other team out/ or capture there flag. ctf is played with two sides, ones yours and ones your enemy's. you can only go to one side and go to jail, which is the enemy's side. If there on your side they get put in jail if tagged, etc. You could have a weapon that is a one shot kill. would it be possible to make it so that when one team player dies on the enemy side, they go to and spawn in the enemys jail, and then when a team mate comes and shoots them, they respawn or get free from the jail some how?

I just thought this would be a really cool idea if possible, with a custom map for it of course.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: May 25, 2009 12:04 AM    Msg. 2 of 27       
You could use a weapon that looks like hands and it punches then when you melee, thus making them out. Then maybe have a script that checks the players health and when it's about to reach 0, teleport them to the "jail" and restore their health. I dunno about rescuing them though.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 25, 2009 12:06 AM    Msg. 3 of 27       
Yeah, I was thinking maybe having a Room or something and the only way to open it on each side is the opposing team member so they can get team mates out...

someone not important

Posted: May 25, 2009 12:48 AM    Msg. 4 of 27       
That could work, but one problem is how teams can only die in one area. I don't know much about mapping, but it might be possible with some complicated scripting. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: May 25, 2009 01:44 AM    Msg. 5 of 27       
I've played CTF with paint balls. It was an abandoned factory that was perfect, one one-story for each team. Even good for a halo ce map... hmmm.

TVTyrant

Who am I?

Posted: May 25, 2009 02:27 AM    Msg. 6 of 27       
Make the punch isntant kill, and just have no respawn set on the server.

JLtheking

imma

Posted: May 25, 2009 04:07 AM    Msg. 7 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5
You could use a weapon that looks like hands and it punches then when you melee, thus making them out. Then maybe have a script that checks the players health and when it's about to reach 0, teleport them to the "jail".

^ and make a secondary weapon that is destroyed when dropped, and it shoots out invisible health packs. Also, put a door that acts like the jail's "gate" and lock it. Then make it such that when someone approaches it from the outside, "press E to unlock door" or something like that appears.
Edited by JLtheking on May 25, 2009 at 04:09 AM

electricSquid

Get ready for some chocolate pain...

Posted: May 25, 2009 07:46 AM    Msg. 8 of 27       
I played CTF in real life once. This seems interesting, but it's going to take a lot of work to make it good for gameplay.
semi-off-topic: I remember hearing about some guy who bought a plastic skull from an anatomy store and stuck an RFID chip in it to make an Oddball. It counted how long it being carried by each person; I thought it sounded pretty cool.

MegaSquirrel

Deal with it nerd

Posted: May 26, 2009 08:32 AM    Msg. 9 of 27       
This is A really cool idea,but i think its really hard.

Sabre

I joined RB in protecting Donut's avatar.

Posted: May 26, 2009 11:55 AM    Msg. 10 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: MegaSquirrel
This is A really cool idea,but i think its really hard.

You Have No Idea.

supersniper

fear the sniper

Posted: May 26, 2009 12:45 PM    Msg. 11 of 27       
uh the basic rules of ctf is capture the enemies flag...
all other rules are just different variants.
So yeah maybe this could be fun.

Ninjadude

Posted: May 26, 2009 04:25 PM    Msg. 12 of 27       
It would be intresting to see. Reminds me of a real life oddball paintball game

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: May 26, 2009 06:38 PM    Msg. 13 of 27       
the easy part is map modeling like make a jail cell in each base the hard part is scripting. unless someone on this forum is an expert scripte, we'll be stuck trying to figure this out for a while.

Sabre

I joined RB in protecting Donut's avatar.

Posted: May 26, 2009 06:40 PM    Msg. 14 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
the easy part is map modeling like make a jail cell in each base the hard part is scripting. unless someone on this forum is an expert scripte, we'll be stuck trying to figure this out for a while.

Gamma and Me KS.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 26, 2009 06:54 PM    Msg. 15 of 27       
It shouldn't be too hard to do scripting really, if you have two trigger volumes representing each side.

Me KS

Desire is Reality. Xfire: jetmaster23

Posted: May 26, 2009 08:23 PM    Msg. 16 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
It shouldn't be too hard to do scripting really, if you have two trigger volumes representing each side.

It won't be hard, but it will take a decent amount of scripts. But it's possible, and I like the idea. Here's the rundown:

- The only game type that actually pays attention to the team index of the spawn points I believe is CTF. So it will have to run CTF, which isn't a problem at all in this case.

We will have to place the spawn points in a secluded room away from the play area in order to make sure the trigger volumes only detect players that spawn. So, like you said, we'll have a trigger over all of the red spawn points in one room, and another trigger over the blue spawn points in the other room.

Then, when a player spawns in either room, we'll have a continuous script running that detects the player in the room and then sets a variable specific to that player indicating what team he's on. Then it will instantly teleport the player to a random flag on his side of the play area. We'll have at least 8 flags so that there's less chance of players teleporting to the same flag on top of each other.

- You can't actually have players die if you want to detect whether they've been tagged, since you can't check for a player's death in scripts.

My idea is just to make every player invincible with (object_cannot_take_damage), and then have whatever one-hit weapon or melee's damage_effect set to "EMP", which wipes out the shields whether the player's invincible or not. This way, instead of checking for a player's death, you can check for a player's shields being wiped out to indicate if they've been tagged.

In addition, making the players invincible will solve a lot of issues that arise with the (players) variable when any player dies. The whole list shifts when a player dies, and that would majorly screw up the variables that store what team each player's on.

- Then, we'll have two trigger volumes in the actual play area, two covering each team's side.

- Once a player's shields are down since he was tagged, the script checks to see if he's in the opposite team's trigger volume, and if so, it can then teleport him to the jail, which will physically enclose him with a door that can be opened only from the outside by a teammate. Technically, it can be opened by anybody, but the opposing team has no reason to let the enemy players free, so it doesn't matter. The doors in each jail can be synced.

Let me warn you though: the (players) variable also shifts every time a player joins and quits, which will also screw up the variable that stores the players' teams. That just can't be solved, so my idea is to add a UI widget to the MP menu that runs a script which kills every player in the game.

This way, you can wait for a good amount of players to join, and then just kill everybody to let all of the players respawn and get their variable assignments straight without resetting the game. Unfortunately, that same crap has to be done every time someone quits too, so make sure your players are having fun xD.

WM Elapicho

you want it... come and get it

Posted: May 29, 2009 11:12 PM    Msg. 17 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Me KS
the opposing team has no reason to let the enemy players free.

keep in mind that anyone can change teams. so if there are 5 teammates in jail someone can just change team and free them out and re-change teams....not cool

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: May 29, 2009 11:25 PM    Msg. 18 of 27       
Unless you set the gametype to not allow team-changing.

WM Elapicho

Posted: May 29, 2009 11:32 PM    Msg. 19 of 27       
what about if there are 10 players.. 5red,5blue , 3 blues leave and there´s only 2blues vs 5red..
someone try to change teams to be equal and he just cant do it ... not cool :P

or there´s a script that can force players to change teams if they´re unequal?

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: May 29, 2009 11:39 PM    Msg. 20 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: WM Elapicho
what about if there are 10 players.. 5red,5blue , 3 blues leave and there´s only 2blues vs 5red..

Actually the option says you cannot change to a team with equal/more members.

WM Elapicho

Posted: May 30, 2009 09:37 AM    Msg. 21 of 27       
Quote: you cannot change to a team with equal/more members.

i meant to say... what if they´re less?

autobalance works when players come in .. but no when they go out..

Me KS

Posted: May 30, 2009 01:03 PM    Msg. 22 of 27       

or there´s a script that can force players to change teams if they´re unequal?

Autobalance doesn't prevent team changing when a player is on a team with more players. That player can change teams to the smaller team.

Team-changing is not something that can be controlled by scripts, so the best we can do is enable autobalance. But, players who actually want to play the game aren't going to abuse the team-changing anyways. That's not the problem.

I also just realized that friendly fire will have to be completely off as well, because a player could tag a teammate who's on the enemy's side and that would count as him being tagged by the enemy. But, that's a simple solution so it's no big deal.

WM Elapicho

Posted: May 30, 2009 01:13 PM    Msg. 23 of 27       
Quote: players who actually want to play the game aren't going to abuse the team-changing anyways. That's not the problem.

players who actually dont want to loose will do that anyways

ok stop.. we know that could be possible..

So what would happen if the whole red team is in jail... there will be a respawn time to go out of jail or what?... just wait to the other team to score?

Me KS

Posted: May 30, 2009 01:31 PM    Msg. 24 of 27       
players who actually dont want to loose will do that anyways

ok stop.. we know that could be possible..

Yep. And players who actually consider cheating will get banned. Unless it's a dedi server.

Like I said, there's nothing in a script that can control what team a player is on.

However, we could control what players can open the jail's doors by having a very small trigger volume not much larger than one player where the door switch is. That way, we can check who's near the switch, and what team he's on. When the switch is activated and he's on the opposing team, the doors will open. Otherwise, the doors won't open.

The only reason I didn't give this idea before is because there's a lot of room for error since the trigger has to be big enough to make sure it covers the entire radius for activating the switch, but small enough to prevent more than one player being in it. Two players could squeeze into that space. If the script ends up choosing one of the two players in the trigger, then it gets messed up.

But, if we could model a player-sized box where the switch is on the inside wall and can only be accessed if you're in the box right in front of the switch, then this could work.

So what would happen if the whole red team is in jail... there will be a respawn time to go out of jail or what?... just wait to the other team to score?

Depends on the rules of the game. I'm not sure what happens in that case. You would think if the whole red team fails to even survive that blue just gets to score, and then they would go free. In that case, there will need to be a trigger volume covering each flag base to detect when a player has the flag and scores before letting them go free.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 30, 2009 03:07 PM    Msg. 25 of 27       
Once the team captures the flag, a new game starts over.

WM Elapicho

Posted: May 30, 2009 10:29 PM    Msg. 26 of 27       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Once the team captures the flag, a new game starts over.

i see 1 minute game here...

maybe 10 scores.. the ones who are in jail respawn in their base when the opposite team score ... sounds cool no?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: May 30, 2009 10:30 PM    Msg. 27 of 27       
That sounds pretty good yeah.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon May 25, 2020 5:01 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website