A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »devises and multiplayer can it be done?

Author Topic: devises and multiplayer can it be done? (8 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

hell master

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 01:42 PM    Msg. 1 of 8       
hey forums favorite procrastinator and complainer is back with more trouble for u guys to help with (;
details:
ive been working on a few maps now and thx to sum help from previous threads ive completed a few maps but never really liked them on my privious forum i was asking about a co op campaign and in stead of doing that ive deside to go a different way. Making parts of campaign maps for multi-player. now i was testing my maps and realized sumthing, the devise groups i made are not working!!!!! i know they syic cause ive seen them work on a few maps. for exapmle i desided instead of automatic doors put in doors where u need to open by a control. ive also put sum elevators in the maps too. nothing seems to work a little help would be very nice. :)

The Point
The maps do compile ( thx for that Gamma (: ) but the devices groups dont work ingame

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 05:32 PM    Msg. 2 of 8       
Some maps have them working because they are scipted. So they don't normally sync.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 09:44 PM    Msg. 3 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: hell master
devise groups i made are not working!!!!! i know they syic cause ive seen them work on a few maps.
AI, Device Machines and animated scenery do not sync across a network connection in a multiplayer game. Halo CE has no way to transmit status or position of the device machine, AI or animated scenery between the clients and server. Regardless of what you have been told they do not sync. The closest you can come is to use a Biped kill script to send on/off status and script a device machine to operate, however if the device machine is not an on/off device like a door then you cannot syncronize the activity or position of the device machine. It is just how Halo CE works.

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 09:47 PM    Msg. 4 of 8       
Some doors that open and close when a player gets near it, doesn't technically sync but still works because player positions do.

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:20 PM    Msg. 5 of 8       
Actually, with a special script that squishes bipeds and stuff, controls and devices can be made to sync.

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Jun 16, 2009 10:24 PM    Msg. 6 of 8       
That's just what Dennis said. Reading really helps in life.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 17, 2009 12:24 PM    Msg. 7 of 8       
Quote: --- Original message by: Polamee
Actually, with a special script that squishes bipeds and stuff, controls and devices can be made to sync.
They don't actually sync they just start near the same time. Their position and status is not transmitted across the network connection. For example: if you had an elevator device and you used the biped kill script to initiate the elevator, then the actual position of the elevator on each client PC will be different than the servers due to the speed of the each PC being different. Device machines run at the rate of the local PC. The Client and server have no way to make sure that the elevator is moving at the same speed or is in the same position on all PCs. This is why people fall through them some of the time. The player position is "synced" so if the server's elevator device machine is running faster than the client's the server sees the player as below the device machine and tells the clients that he fell.

For some reason people can't grasp this concept but it is a hard cold fact that AI, Device machines and animated scenery do not and can not be synced in a multiplayer game with Halo CE.

hell master

Posted: Jan 15, 2010 03:04 PM    Msg. 8 of 8       
Alright thx any way.....

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri April 3, 2020 1:03 AM 375 ms.
A Halo Maps Website