A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Important: Forum Posting Guidelines for New and Old Members

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: Important: Forum Posting Guidelines for New and Old Members (80 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 03:22 PM    Msg. 1 of 80       
Apparently we have new people who don’t know and a number of veterans who seem to have forgotten the proper etiquette for posting in the forum. Listed below are some of the important guidelines for posting in web forums. Please take the time and review them.

I will be holding people to these guidelines and deleting or editing messages that do not conform. Repeated offenses will result in your posting privileges being revoked.

• Read the forums rules and guidelines before posting for the first time.

• Search the other posts to see if your topic is already covered.

• Use a meaningful titles for your threads. Don't use titles like “HELP” or “hlp plz” be clear in the title of the thread as to what it is about.

• Be civil. Personal differences should be handled through email or IM and not through posts displayed to everyone. Do not make personal attacks or call someone names.

• Do Not troll which means do not post messages specifically designed to start arguments or controversy.

• Do not chastise newbies. Do not make fun of people who know less than you about the subject. Help them or remain silent

• Do not abuse or harasses people who make map or tag requests. If someone makes a request you have two options. Help them and/or discuss the request with them to clarify what they want, or if you don’t want to help them then remain silent and do not post.

• Stay on the topic of the thread.

• Ignore spammers, do not respond to them do not post in response to their offense your responses are worse than the spam itself because their account and all their messages can be deleted with a single click. Your responses can't unless I delete all your messages. Your response to spam is worse than the spam itself.

• In order to be understood by most people, use correct spelling, grammar and avoid slang unless you know the word or phrase will be understood by other members. Not everyone uses "netspeak" or the newest terms so be consice.

• Do not post lines of repeated characters such as “HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA” it is not funny does not convey any real emphasis and unnecessarily stretches the screen making it harder for others to read.

• Act in a give and take manner; help others as often as or more than you ask for help.

• Do not use all caps or SHOUT in your posts. In addition, one exclamation point is enough.

• When replying to a post, do not quote more from the previous post than you absolutely have to. It is not always necessary to quote the pictures.

• Do not post new problems on someone else's thread and interrupt a topic of discussion.

• Do not use someone else’s thread for a private conversation.

• Most forums prohibit warez, cracks or illegal downloading of software and similar topics. This is in the rules and is not allowed here.

• Watch your sense of humor, posts may be read by people from a variety of backgrounds and ages. What you think is funny may seem mean and hurtful to others.

• Do not post unnecessary images or spam a topic with rude and mean spirited images telling someone that the topic has “failed”.

• Do not post any information that you want private. Posts should not contain personal, identifiable information or content embarrassing to others.

• Do not post ”empty” or useless responses, such as just ”lol” or ”cool.” Only post responses when you have something meaningful to contribute.

• Write concisely and do not ramble. Use punctuation and sentence or paragraphs breaks to make it easier for others to read.

• Do not criticize or make fun of people who do not write concisely or use proper punctuation. Ask politely for clarification or do not post at all.

• Do not use words like ”urgent” or ”important” or “HELP” in your subject line, be patient.

• Think before you post. Do not post in haste or anger, wait before posting - the message will still be there - cool down and think before you respond.

-Dennis

Edited by Dennis on Jul 20, 2009 at 08:05 PM

Bloody Jabs

It's been 4 years...

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 03:39 PM    Msg. 2 of 80       
I don't think I've ever, not, used good grammar on Halo Maps lol. It just feels weird.
Dennis you should sticky this :D
Edited by Bloody Jabs on Jul 2, 2009 at 03:41 PM

Dennis

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 03:40 PM    Msg. 3 of 80       
Quote: --- Original message by: VAMPIRE
I think it's called 1337 speak Dennis
Only if you are under 18 years of age. which proves the point of the guideline.

ODX

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 03:44 PM    Msg. 4 of 80       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
  • Ignore spammers, do not respond to them do not post in response to their offence your responses are worse than the spam itself because their account and all their messages can be deleted with a single click. Your responses can't unless I delete all your messages. Your responses to spam is worse than the spam itself.

Sorry, I just had to make sure people saw this one.

Dennis

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 04:02 PM    Msg. 5 of 80       
    And was that an insult?
    No it wasn't. Unless you consider being under 18 years old insulting which I don't.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 04:06 PM    Msg. 6 of 80       
    Make it an immediatly bannable offense to reply to spam, that would cut down the spam responses.

Bloody Jabs

It's been 4 years...

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 07:16 PM    Msg. 7 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5
    Make it an immediatly bannable offense to reply to spam, that would cut down the spam responses.

I think I like that idea :D
    And Dennis what about those Thread Failed pics that you don't like? I didn't seethat anywere... Alot of forums and their members post the pics and well yeah, if we get new members they might not know that.
    Edited by Bloody Jabs on Jul 2, 2009 at 07:19 PM

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 07:18 PM    Msg. 8 of 80       

Better yet add spamming and trolling to that as well, nobody get banned unless the whole fricken' forums are being trolled over.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 07:22 PM    Msg. 9 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: SegwayMaster1324

Better yet add spamming and trolling to that as well, nobody get banned unless the whole fricken' forums are being trolled over.

Well obviously spamming is an immediate ban, but troleing is good too

Headhunter09

This is the truth.

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 07:30 PM    Msg. 10 of 80       
    And was that an insult?
    No it wasn't. Unless you consider being under 18 years old insulting which I don't.

Oh ok.

I do believe this is an example of an "empty" post. Am I right?

Scott

No.

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 07:34 PM    Msg. 11 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Bloody Jabs

I think I like that idea :D
    And Dennis what about those Thread Failed pics that you don't like? I didn't seethat anywere... Alot of forums and their members post the pics and well yeah, if we get new members they might not know that.
    Edited by Bloody Jabs on Jul 2, 2009 at 07:19 PM

You would get banned.

malard

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 07:56 PM    Msg. 12 of 80       
    what about the little dancing locks?

Dennis

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 08:30 PM    Msg. 13 of 80       
    If people don't learn then what will happen is that they won't be banned but their entire posting history will be deleted along with the spam so they will have to start over again.

People read all the guidelines again because every question that has so far been asked is covered.

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 11:05 PM    Msg. 14 of 80       
    Also I think this also is worth saying, "if someone posts a topic or relpy in a foreign language or a language you don't understand (example spanish) STAY SILENT . It's annoying when you're asking something and when or some the people don't know what you're saying go "english please" or "speak english". Just let someone who can translate or understand help the person with their problem instead of posting on how you can't and wasting that person's time.
    * edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GBPQ6fiLr0&feature=related so true in some ways ....

Edited by SegwayMaster1324 on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:46 AM

keeefers

xfire-keeefers master chief loves cupcakes:)

Posted: Jul 3, 2009 10:11 PM    Msg. 15 of 80       
    "Do not post unnecessary images or spam a topic with rude and mean spirited images telling someone that the topic has “failed”."

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 10:05 AM    Msg. 16 of 80       
    *sigh* When will the people learn? Today there was like....tons of spam, and people kept responding. What's up with you guys? STOP RESPONDING TO SPAM. Even if you've something very important/witty to say, don't say it. You're just making it worse.

Lone Warrior

-Himalayan Wizard and Mystical Guru of the Mts.-

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 10:14 AM    Msg. 17 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Polamee
    *sigh* When will the people learn? Today there was like....tons of spam, and people kept responding. What's up with you guys? STOP RESPONDING TO SPAM. Even if you've something very important/witty to say, don't say it. You're just making it worse.

This, just this. Seriously, dont reply to spam. How hard is it?

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 10:15 AM    Msg. 18 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003
    What if the request reverts to spam?
    NEVER EVER under any circumstances post in response to any spam.

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 12:42 PM    Msg. 19 of 80       
    Dennis, make it a bannable offense to make any response to the spammer in these "spam fests". Really DON"T RESPOND when Yoda spammed the forums people dodn't respond and when on with their bunessiness as usual and it ended before you knew it.

Bloody Jabs

It's been 4 years...

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 03:44 PM    Msg. 20 of 80       
    There ANOTHER spam war today and people kept replying? Seriously do you people think its funny?

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Jul 11, 2009 02:25 PM    Msg. 21 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: K_I_D
    Look at general discussion. It's filled with help threads from these new kids coming and and some older members too. Knowing ME I will get attacked for this post, just because well....it's me. Anyway, can you guys start posting in tech support, I have tried telling them in their threads awhile back but apparently it was a wrong doing by the way some of you jumped on me for trying to keep the forums clean. Not acting like a moderator, just trying to help.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=forum&forumID=2

There.

^^^

Sgt Blaze

still actin' like Two-Bit from the Outsides....

Posted: Jul 11, 2009 05:26 PM    Msg. 22 of 80       
    Way to Go Dennis. I've found a new type of Respect for you. All I can say is "Your the man!". Man I wish I could give you something for this.

[note I just now saw my Spelling error ]
    Edited by Sgt Blaze on Aug 4, 2009 at 02:09 PM

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Jul 11, 2009 06:34 PM    Msg. 23 of 80       
    He only did this because people were at eachothers throats and the spamming vests brought things over the top.

Dennis

Posted: Jul 12, 2009 01:16 PM    Msg. 24 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: SegwayMaster1324
    He only did this because people were at eachothers throats and the spamming vests brought things over the top.
    I did "this" because it has become painfully obvious that many people here have either not had enough experience in the proper etiquette of posting in public web forums or are taking liberties with my patience. These guidelines are very generic and should be made part of your social fabric when engaging in on-line communication. Many have disregarded them either due to ignorance or disrespect for others. Now no one can claim ignorance.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jul 25, 2009 04:47 PM    Msg. 25 of 80       
    Some of you may want to take this in for consideration for constructive criticism.
    http://www.game-artist.net/forums/view.php?pg=constructivecrit

Dennis

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 02:02 PM    Msg. 26 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: im_a_playa
    Hmm the rules do seem to pushy for a halo website but i agree
    These are the guidlines for conduct in ANY web forum. Halo has nothing to do with it.

Prod1gyXtr3m

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 09:54 AM    Msg. 27 of 80       
    so are you saying that if some one spams and i ask them to stop it i am worse than the spammers?

sorry im new and i have a lot of questions lol

Dennis

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 04:33 PM    Msg. 28 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Prod1gyXtr3m
    so are you saying that if some one spams and i ask them to stop it i am worse than the spammers?

Yes that is correct. The reason is that I (the admin) can delete all of a person's posts in a single click. When I do that your response to the spam remains. If you quoted the spam then that too remains and looks like spam so I will delete all your posts as well. If you don't respond to the spam then the spammer doesn't get any satisfaction from it because no one responded and it gets removed in a single click making him irrellevant. Once you respond to it you validate his existance.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Mar 30, 2010 07:19 AM    Msg. 29 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Prod1gyXtr3m

Yes that is correct. The reason is that I (the admin) can delete all of a person's posts in a single click. When I do that your response to the spam remains. If you quoted the spam then that too remains and looks like spam so I will delete all your posts as well. If you don't respond to the spam then the spammer doesn't get any satisfaction from it because no one responded and it gets removed in a single click making him irrellevant. Once you respond to it you validate his existance.

But people could just edit their posts into replies to other people's posts, from later on in the thread, instead of the spammer, couldn't they?

hell master

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 05:06 PM    Msg. 30 of 80       
    i found this very helpful and i also recently discovered this forum

Thx Gamma for making me find it myself

RevolutionaryCaptain

Preparing to continue the overmind's plans

Posted: Jun 9, 2010 05:53 PM    Msg. 31 of 80       
    ummm... It seen that a tighter control over the forum the users want..that way Dennis gain a upper hand also. So its double win, the user get less flame wars and spammer. Then Dennis get more control over forum and can do more things... but I fully agree with this decision as well.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 05:11 PM    Msg. 32 of 80       
    Rules from another forum:
    Notice how different they are.
    Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' check box and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

Although the administrators and moderators of **** **** **** will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of **** **** ****, nor **** **** ****. (developers of ****) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violation of any laws.

The owners of **** **** **** reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.
    Why did I post this? I do not know.
    All company names were removed by request.
    Actually this is one of several variants of forum rules which are very common.

Maniac1000
    -Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 07:07 PM    Msg. 33 of 80       
    And what is the difference between Dennis's rules and those ones?

Advancebo

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 07:26 PM    Msg. 34 of 80       
    Because Dennis is cooler, super admin guy. And that forum needs more than 5 admins/mods.
    Edited by Advancebo on Jun 21, 2010 at 07:26 PM

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 09:43 PM    Msg. 35 of 80       
    Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
    And what is the difference between Dennis's rules and those ones?

There are quite a few such as nothing about sigs and many other things I can't point out right now

-I hate laptops
    -Skipdrow

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon August 21, 2017 1:57 PM 187 ms.
    A Halo Maps Website