A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Important: Forum Posting Guidelines for New and Old Members

Page 2 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Important: Forum Posting Guidelines for New and Old Members (88 messages, Page 2 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 09:55 PM    Msg. 36 of 88       
Try not to be butthurt about a lack of signatures. Dennis does have a good reason as to why he removed the signature functionality from Halomaps.

doompig444

Morni alanti

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 10:15 PM    Msg. 37 of 88       
Dennis is one guy and is not owned by Break Media or whatever.

-doompig444
-Conqueror of Pretentious Titles
"I wanna live a life from a new perspective."

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 10:41 PM    Msg. 38 of 88       
^ oh look , it's this guy going on about sigs again.
-Cc@in-
-Stockbroker of arrogance-

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff. ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 12:14 AM    Msg. 39 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
There are quite a few such as nothing about sigs and many other things I can't point out right now
Other forms can be run as they see fit. This one is run as I see fit. Not everyone may like the rules or the lack of signatures but I make no pretense that I care. The forum posting guidelines just like the rules are nothing more than the common courtesy I expect when dealing with anyone and other forums expect without saying so. They are just spelled out in much more detail than in other forums.

I have been moderating discussion groups, first by email then the web since the early 70s and through experience have found that the younger the membership the more detailed the rules need to be explained. That is why the rules are spelled out in detail and why I posted forum posting guidelines. There are many users who are relatively new to posting in public forums and the guidelines I posted can be applied to wherever they go.

ps: signatures, due to massive and repeated abuse, are gone never to be seen again. Get over it.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: Jun 22, 2010 10:44 AM    Msg. 40 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
There are quite a few such as nothing about sigs and many other things I can't point out right now
Other forms can be run as they see fit. This one is run as I see fit. Not everyone may like the rules or the lack of signatures but I make no pretense that I care. The forum posting guidelines just like the rules are nothing more than the common courtesy I expect when dealing with anyone and other forums expect without saying so. They are just spelled out in much more detail than in other forums.

I have been moderating discussion groups, first by email then the web since the early 70s and through experience have found that the younger the membership the more detailed the rules need to be explained. That is why the rules are spelled out in detail and why I posted forum posting guidelines. There are many users who are relatively new to posting in public forums and the guidelines I posted can be applied to wherever they go.

ps: signatures, due to massive and repeated abuse, are gone never to be seen again. Get over it.

The reason that I only posted about sigs is because that was on the top of my head and I was in a hurry.
Although yes the fact that it is ''spelled out'' probably does make a huge difference.

-Laptops are annoying
-Skidrow

abkarch

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 09:41 AM    Msg. 41 of 88       
if you dont like the rules, gtfo. seriously, stop complaining. you and your "submit to authority" and "Laptops are annoying" sigs are really starting to piss me off. your the only person that does this.

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 10:57 AM    Msg. 42 of 88       
A little late , don't ya think? Send him a PM next time.

abkarch

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 11:03 AM    Msg. 43 of 88       
1.) just because its a week and a half after doesnt mean hes not gonna read it
2.) sorry, i forgot about PMs. lol i actually did there for a second, i almost never use them on any forum

Skidrow925

Posted: Jul 2, 2010 12:51 PM    Msg. 44 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: abkarch
if you dont like the rules, gtfo. seriously, stop complaining. you and your "submit to authority" and "Laptops are annoying" sigs are really starting to piss me off. your the only person that does this.

When was I complaining about the rules here? NEVER. And why should I care if I make you mad with my sigs? You don't have to read them you know.

-Safety third.
-Skidrow

samistone

Posted: Jul 22, 2010 08:49 PM    Msg. 45 of 88       
Oh, thank you Dennis.Now i know what's wrong with my post^^, and sorry for that.
if there is some grammar mistake sorry im not british >.<

1337PotatoChips

[/Insert sentry level-1 here]

Posted: Jul 23, 2010 08:12 PM    Msg. 46 of 88       
Because of image spamming, new members have to wait 5 days before they can post an image? :O

GoldeNTacO

Stout Shako for 2 Refined

Posted: Jul 23, 2010 11:03 PM    Msg. 47 of 88       
Dennis, why not implicate a wordfilter instead of going around deleting the posts?

Dennis

Posted: Jul 24, 2010 01:26 AM    Msg. 48 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: GoldeNTacO
Dennis, why not implicate a wordfilter instead of going around deleting the posts?
There is a word filter but people still go to great lengths to bypass the filter and that is not allowed. The rule clearly states that "if you or the forum software has to censor your words DO NOT USE THEM."

Edited by Dennis on Jul 24, 2010 at 01:27 AM

Skidrow925

Posted: Oct 23, 2010 10:38 PM    Msg. 49 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: assassinchief106
Can't you add to the filter the fact that we can't even censor?

Isn't that what Dennis is for? Or just not quite as much as I thought common sense...

Spiral

I hope i'm out of the way

Posted: Apr 3, 2011 02:08 PM    Msg. 50 of 88       
im new and this totally somewhat kinda helped, i know not to do stuff that is bad... even if i still see it happening

EDIT:
so I joined Apr 3, 2011

Edited by spiral on Nov 23, 2011 at 07:01 PM

DarkAvengerX

I'll just stick to music as mapping is not for me.

Posted: Apr 10, 2012 07:51 PM    Msg. 51 of 88       
Dennis is at a point I am working to achieve. A long time ago I attempted to message him so he could be my mentor for my senior project and give me advice on how to act on the cruel internet, but he did not respond. I assume the message was lost in the black hole and that he lots of messages all the time.

Nonetheless I honestly believe you can't go wrong with his methods. I once operated a forum (nowhere near as successful as this one) and I learned a few things as problems arose. It got to a point that I had disable avatars and signatures (though I never thought to have a approved set of images) and not allowing others to become high level members because I wanted to be able to have control over everything that happened. I even started trying (but failed (that is why I not longer operate a forum)) to write a bot that would send me texts of "suspected offender posts" and have me approve or remove them with a click of a button.

I still have much to learn and I hope that I can one day learn it from the one and only Dennis Powers, my hero.

:)

Mad respect man, mad respect.
Edited by DarkAvengerX on Apr 12, 2012 at 03:21 PM

1337_h4x0r

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 02:18 PM    Msg. 52 of 88       

Just how OLD are U?

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 02:44 PM    Msg. 53 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: 1337_h4x0r

Just how OLD are U?

He confirmed that he was over 50... a few years ago. 60 yet, Dennis?

P3

Posted: Jun 19, 2012 06:12 PM    Msg. 54 of 88       
O.O ........ This was something i did not know....

Scott

No.

Posted: Jun 22, 2012 10:38 PM    Msg. 55 of 88       
Dennis started building BBS's in 85, so its only natural he has come to be annoyed by the children of the internet.

While this is an active forum, I would not say it is successful.
As far as I can tell, the forum generates no revenue, which would mean all the work that goes into it, is losing money.

Dennis has stated that halomaps is a free service and has shown a dislike towards advertisement, but doing so is not always a good plan.

If he makes enough through UXB to keep this hobby site up, then kudos to him, halomaps is a great opportunity for extra income though.

My forum had 70,000 active users, and with a single advertisement block, I was earning anywhere up to $2-4k a month, just from my hobby site.

Jaz

[Insert sarcastic comment here]

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 07:31 AM    Msg. 56 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: Scott
Dennis started building BBS's in 85, so its only natural he has come to be annoyed by the children of the internet.

As far as I can tell, the forum generates no revenue, which would mean all the work that goes into it, is losing money.

Dennis has stated that halomaps is a free service and has shown a dislike towards advertisement, but doing so is not always a good plan.

If he makes enough through UXB to keep this hobby site up, then kudos to him, halomaps is a great opportunity for extra income though.

My forum had 70,000 active users, and with a single advertisement block, I was earning anywhere up to $2-4k a month, just from my hobby site.

This site does have advertisements. Turn off your adblocker.

Scott

No.

Posted: Jun 23, 2012 03:05 PM    Msg. 57 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz

This site does have advertisements. Turn off your adblocker.

You have bested me sir, well done.

Tape City

New Flyer 2306: The Howler Monkey Bus

Posted: Nov 16, 2012 04:32 PM    Msg. 58 of 88       
Sadly, some people just don't listen or don't care about rules and pick on the newbies.

PRPatxi

Dennis ban me, please,

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 10:05 AM    Msg. 59 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor

Wait... what? how old are you? ._.

http://www.uxbinternet.com/about.cfm

PRPatxi

Dennis ban me, please,

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 02:18 PM    Msg. 60 of 88       
Do you honestly thought he was just a plain old mod?

MEGA_VKNG

Now retired from CE, enjoy DW! https://goo.gl/1Bup

Posted: Apr 9, 2014 08:21 PM    Msg. 61 of 88       
holy crap thats really dennis.

sparky

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 10:16 AM    Msg. 62 of 88       

Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2015 at 04:36 PM

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Aug 16, 2015 07:08 AM    Msg. 63 of 88       
Sees thread topic titled *Important*.

Immediately clicks on last page.

Is taken to blank page with option of returning to page 2 or 1.

Dennis

Posted: Aug 16, 2015 02:20 PM    Msg. 64 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfTI9WZ3cymGAGMyRp0GsBUlmifCybwuRqY29U5OJpImGwVu1q
deleted messages while you were looking at the last load of the page.

Super Flanker

The length of your life depends on my aim.

Posted: Aug 17, 2015 06:12 AM    Msg. 65 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfTI9WZ3cymGAGMyRp0GsBUlmifCybwuRqY29U5OJpImGwVu1q
deleted messages while you were looking at the last load of the page.

Ah okay.

LegitGameReviews
-banned for conduct-

AMU Leader

Posted: Jul 10, 2016 12:32 PM    Msg. 66 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: Scott

What?

First you say that this website is potentially costing money.

Then you say simply adding a couple ads can easily reverse this issue toward your favor.

How about you man up and acknowledge that us annoying children are keeping your bank account full? If you claim this to be untrue, then I must ask you this: why aren't you? If we are really so annoying then why would it bother you that we might have to put up with cancerous advertisements? Your logic blows me away, unless you are OBVIOUSLY hiding something.

Dennis

Posted: Jul 10, 2016 03:08 PM    Msg. 67 of 88       
Who are you asking? Me or the person you are quoting?
Quote: --- Original message by: LegitGameReviews
How about you man up and acknowledge that us annoying children are keeping your bank account full?
It is not surprising that you have no idea what it costs to supply over 32,458,984 Downloads that has consumed over 1,384.91 Terabytes of bandwidth. It is also not surprising that you do not yet grasp the concept or philanthropy. "Annoying children", as you call yourself, rarely do.

LegitGameReviews
-banned for conduct-

AMU Leader

Posted: Jul 10, 2016 03:40 PM    Msg. 68 of 88       
Oh Dennis. I do love these little conversations we have where you try to dodge the main question and act all superior in every way. Every time. Without fail. You're as predictable as me.

As you host multiple websites for your clients, you surely have an enormous bandwidth tap at your disposal already. Likely a fixed bandwidth rate. Slapping Halomaps.org onto that same bandwidth tap shouldn't cost you a single penny. On top of that, your ad revenue from this place even generates money for you. This is not philanthropy, this is a hobby that also generates some pocket change. Sure you have to put some manual effort into this, but we both you know get some sort of sick satisfaction out of abusing children.

I love how you tried to make it seem like I'm calling myself an annoying child. I simply restated what you called me earlier, out of sarcasm.

Skidrow925

Posted: Jul 10, 2016 03:42 PM    Msg. 69 of 88       
Quote: --- Original message by: LegitGameReviews
Oh Dennis. I do love these little conversations we have where you try to dodge the main question and act all superior in every way. Every time. Without fail. You're as predictable as me.

As you host multiple websites for your clients, you surely have an enormous bandwidth tap at your disposal already. Likely a fixed bandwidth rate. Slapping Halomaps.org onto that same bandwidth tap shouldn't cost you a single penny. On top of that, your ad revenue from this place even generates money for you. This is not philanthropy, this is a hobby that also generates some pocket change. Sure you have to put some manual effort into this, but we both you know get some sort of sick satisfaction out of abusing children.

I love how you tried to make it seem like I'm calling myself an annoying child. I simply restated what you called me earlier, out of sarcasm.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that server space, bandwidth, etc, are not free.

LegitGameReviews
-banned for conduct-

AMU Leader

Posted: Jul 10, 2016 03:53 PM    Msg. 70 of 88       
Server space is irrelevant when it's his own servers. Hard drives aren't that expensive. The bandwidth, is explained above. If you can't comprehend what is going on here, I'd advise butting out of the conversation.

Page 2 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · 3 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun June 25, 2017 6:31 PM 453 ms.
A Halo Maps Website