A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »What do they mean by flood consume sentient life?

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: What do they mean by flood consume sentient life? (103 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

PVT Jenkins

Advance!!!!!

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:17 PM    Msg. 1 of 103       
What do they mean by flood consume sentient life? What are flood how did they start too?

Lone Warrior

-Himalayan Wizard and Mystical Guru of the Mts.-

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:21 PM    Msg. 2 of 103       
Quote: --- Original message by: PVT Jenkins
What do they mean by flood consume sentient life? What are flood how did they start too?

They eat people, like you. Or maybe not, as you seem to be lacking in intelligence.

PVT Jenkins

Advance!!!!!

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:22 PM    Msg. 3 of 103       
OMG off topic dude seriously I wanna know flood boy.

Lone Warrior

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:23 PM    Msg. 4 of 103       
OMG off topic dude seriously I wanna know flood boy.

Thus proving my point on why the Flood wouldn't 'consume' you.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:24 PM    Msg. 5 of 103       
No seriously, that's what it means. They eat intelligent organisms.

PVT Jenkins

Advance!!!!!

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:24 PM    Msg. 6 of 103       
Ah but how did they start?

Lone Warrior

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:27 PM    Msg. 7 of 103       
Ah but how did they start?

They began by selectively choosing to eat smart people, and not dumb people, much like yourself. Thus following natural selection. According to Charles Darwin "On the originas of species" they grow stronger by selectively choosing those that are smarter.

PVT Jenkins

Advance!!!!!

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:30 PM    Msg. 8 of 103       
Ok first did the forerunners start the flood? Or did the flood just started from dead human and, covenant bodies?

Gamma927

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:32 PM    Msg. 9 of 103       
They came from a galaxy far, far away.

PVT Jenkins

Advance!!!!!

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:33 PM    Msg. 10 of 103       
But, what started them, where did they come from?

Advancebo

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:41 PM    Msg. 11 of 103       
Or rather, ask yourself this. Where did humans come from, what started them?

Gamma927

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:43 PM    Msg. 12 of 103       
Where did they come from?

Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
They came from a galaxy far, far away.

Invader Veex

i make poast

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:48 PM    Msg. 13 of 103       
The flood infests "smart" living creatures, because they need a host. The flood is a parasite.

Advancebo

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:50 PM    Msg. 14 of 103       
Flood = Parasite
Parasite + Host = Life

lazyygamer123

Lanching a second siege, on Karrde's avatar!

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 06:02 PM    Msg. 15 of 103       
The don't "consume" thing. They simple, infected people.

The flood came from galaxy far away. Like Gamma said. The flood, declare war against Forerunnners. The dragged out for many years. Til, the Forerunner run out resource or I think they did. After using all recourse as possible, fearing the flood would take galaxy. They active Halo, if any flood survived the Monitor, and sentinel were to thing under control.

Advancebo

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 06:05 PM    Msg. 16 of 103       
The consume your mind. They consume your calcium. They consume who you are. They consume your bodily functions.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 06:16 PM    Msg. 17 of 103       
this thread...

cowish6676

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 06:27 PM    Msg. 18 of 103       
Step 1: go to google

Step 2: in the Google search field type Halo Wiki

Step 3: hit the Halo wiki link

Step 4: in the wiki search field type flood

Step 5: read the **** article

Good job, you have now successfully learned something without having to bother others. By using this method you can not only learn, but you can also be less bothersome.

Karrde

Power beyond containing

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 06:58 PM    Msg. 19 of 103       
^That was a horrible suggestion, wikis can be edited by anyone, and are exremely unreliable.

The ultimate source for knowledge of Halo's canon:
http://blog.ascendantjustice.com/headstones-pushed-aside/

cowish6676

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 07:09 PM    Msg. 20 of 103       
...........Have you ever tried editing a wiki? They are the most unintuitive editing tools I have seen in my life. The only people who edit wikis are people who care about the subject, doubly so for specific wikis. Also, for general information on the fly any wiki gives you decent information.

Oh, and by the way, here is some reading that might make you realize wikis aren't the root of all misinformation.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/11/8296.ars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4530930.stm

I also feel the need at this point to mention that you criticizing my advice when you link to a blog which is just as editable if not easier to edit then any wiki.

Gamma927

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 07:17 PM    Msg. 21 of 103       
Quote: --- Original message by: Karrde
^That was a horrible suggestion, wikis can be edited by anyone, and are exremely unreliable.

Quote: --- Original message by: Ascendant Justice
Note: It is important to reiterate that the following material is an interpretation of events based on information found within the following individual sources: Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, the Terminals of Halo 3, the alternate reality game “Iris” prior to Halo 3’s launch, the Bestiarum guide, Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten and several other sources directly from Bungie.net.

Looks like your "ultimate source of knowledge" isn't so accurate either. It isn't actual fact, it's merely what the author concluded from the events of the games, which is basically what happens in wikis as well.

Karrde

Power beyond containing

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 07:51 PM    Msg. 22 of 103       
Quote: --- Original message by: cowish6676
...........Have you ever tried editing a wiki? They are the most unintuitive editing tools I have seen in my life. The only people who edit wikis are people who care about the subject, doubly so for specific wikis. Also, for general information on the fly any wiki gives you decent information.

Oh, and by the way, here is some reading that might make you realize wikis aren't the root of all misinformation.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/11/8296.ars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4530930.stm

I also feel the need at this point to mention that you criticizing my advice when you link to a blog which is just as editable if not easier to edit then any wiki.
Ascendant Justice was written by one person and cannot be edited by the public, so I don't know where you got that from.

Quote: --- Original message by: Ascendant Justice
Note: It is important to reiterate that the following material is an interpretation of events based on information found within the following individual sources: Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, the Terminals of Halo 3, the alternate reality game “Iris” prior to Halo 3’s launch, the Bestiarum guide, Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten and several other sources directly from Bungie.net.

Looks like your "ultimate source of knowledge" isn't so accurate either. It isn't actual fact, it's merely what the author concluded from the events of the games, which is basically what happens in wikis as well.
It is an interpretation, true, but it is an accurate one.

Wikis can be edited by ANYONE. Meaning, if someone sees something they THINK is wrong, they will edit it so that it is right to them, even if it's completely false. For example, if I believed that Sergeant Forge was the Master Chief and had based that belief on the fact thet they share the name "John", I could go edit it into a wiki article on both characters, and anyone with minimal knowledge of the subjects would believe it, and tell others.

Ascendant Justice was based on a careful examination of every detail of Halo's canon. I have read most of the articals there, and I trust them more than some stupid wiki.

/retaliation

Alexiel

*wort wort wort*

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:24 PM    Msg. 23 of 103       
Wouldn't Flood destroy itself if it conquered the universe?They'd starve to death like Cortana stated...

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:30 PM    Msg. 24 of 103       
Yo
have you tried editing a article on a wiki
do that and tell me what happens.

Gamma927

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:30 PM    Msg. 25 of 103       

Wikis can be edited by ANYONE. Meaning, if someone sees something they THINK is wrong, they will edit it so that it is right to them, even if it's completely false. For example, if I believed that Sergeant Forge was the Master Chief and had based that belief on the fact thet they share the name "John", I could go edit it into a wiki article on both characters, and anyone with minimal knowledge of the subjects would believe it, and tell others.

Ascendant Justice was based on a careful examination of every detail of Halo's canon. I have read most of the articals there, and I trust them more than some stupid wiki.

/retaliation

However, since you're wrong, people can CORRECT you in a wiki. Thus, a bigger expansion of knowledge. However, if the Ascendant Justice author thought that was true, and he put that down, no one can fix it for him, and therefore, it'll stay wrong. In a wiki, there are multiple factors to be considered. Many people who actually write the articles in the wikis cite sources, and these sources are usually canon.

There is also a more diverse audience, and groups of experts. Some people analyze books and the games, and write certain parts of the articles, mainly the factual portions. Some people are gamers, who randomly find certain things. Those people put things down in "Trivia". Even more people are more concentrated on gameplay, and put down gameplay tips. Halopedia is much more than an analytical study of the Halo games. It is a community, much like our own.

Karrde

Power beyond containing

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:35 PM    Msg. 26 of 103       

/retaliation

However, since you're wrong, people can CORRECT you in a wiki. Thus, a bigger expansion of knowledge. However, if the Ascendant Justice author thought that was true, and he put that down, no one can fix it for him, and therefore, it'll stay wrong. In a wiki, there are multiple factors to be considered. Many people who actually write the articles in the wikis cite sources, and these sources are usually canon.

There is also a more diverse audience, and groups of experts. Some people analyze books and the games, and write certain parts of the articles, mainly the factual portions. Some people are gamers, who randomly find certain things. Those people put things down in "Trivia". Even more people are more concentrated on gameplay, and put down gameplay tips. Halopedia is much more than an analytical study of the Halo games. It is a community, much like our own.
This is what ALL of Ascendant Justice is, and that's my point.

Gamma927

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:38 PM    Msg. 27 of 103       
However, in wikis, the key word is "SOME people", which refers to a group of experts. Groups of people are usually more correct than a single author. If the Ascendant Justice author (I'm going to call him "The Author" for brevity) is wrong, no one will correct him. If one expert is wrong, another one can correct him. If one person deliberately tries to sabotage the article, someone can fix it.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:40 PM    Msg. 28 of 103       
Quote: --- Original message by: CLS_GRUNT
Yo

Yo

Karrde

Power beyond containing

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:43 PM    Msg. 29 of 103       
Yo

Yo
I did try editing Halopedia once, to correct an error, and the next day I went back and it was the same as before, and I have not bothered with it since.

However, in wikis, the key word is "SOME people", which refers to a group of experts. Groups of people are usually more correct than a single author. If the Ascendant Justice author (I'm going to call him "The Author" for brevity) is wrong, no one will correct him. If one expert is wrong, another one can correct him. If one person deliberately tries to sabotage the article, someone can fix it.
A person can be smart.

People, on the other hand, are stupid.
Edited by Karrde on Aug 2, 2009 at 08:45 PM

Gamma927

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:45 PM    Msg. 30 of 103       
On the other hand, one person can be mentally ill, while the chances of a group of people all being mentally ill is very little.

Karrde

Power beyond containing

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 08:54 PM    Msg. 31 of 103       
Ok, now you're just running out of things to say.

But so am I, so back on topic!

jigsaw_jimmy

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 09:05 PM    Msg. 32 of 103       
jenkins dont listen to these peopel they dont kno wwhat there saying!! god made the flood likes humans that is how they are made

jimmy

You can cure a derp, but not the herps.

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 11:28 PM    Msg. 33 of 103       
No, the people at bungie studios wanted to make a crazy twist in the halo stroyline, so they made an all consuming parasitic race that infects intelegent organisms(not jenkins) in their underground lair were they plot world domination and ways to implement the number 7 into everything.

duh...

Auxor

Ever drunk Baileys out of a shoe?

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 02:06 AM    Msg. 34 of 103       
The Flood are an extra-galactic alien race that infects other sentient races to live, they use their hosts to move around and subsequently get more hosts by attacking other species.
They invaded the Galaxy 100,000 yeas ago and got into a thousand year long war with the Forerunners who fought in a long stalemate for many years. The Flood created a Gravemind, an intelligent Flood form to lead them and they attacked the main Forerunner worlds.
The Forerunners, after exhausting every other option opted to commit mass suicide on themselves and to kill every organism with enough mass to sustain the Flood and so they activated weapons of mass destruction (Halos). However they'd forgotten that they'd left Flood in stasis on some of them, like leaving the gas on.

If they'd of completely conquered the Galaxy, they'd just move on to another. It is implied that they probably control other Galaxies completely but failed to conquer the Milky Way because of the humans and the Covenant.

Alexiel

*wort wort wort*

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 09:36 AM    Msg. 35 of 103       
Uh, excuse me?I don't know about the Covenant but 100.000 years ago humans weren't in a state to defend themselves...Do you mean Forerunners didn't want to conquer the Milk Way or they just couldn't?Oh and, Covenant are originated in our galaxy?

Also, is the story of Precursors ever revealed?I have this theory that they evolved so much they just left their bodies and wandered the universe as spirits, like the race who created monoliths in A Space Oddysee: 2001.Since Forerunners' records state that Precursors were highly evolved and they believed Precursors were even able to accelerate other race's evolution.(Again, like in A Space Oddysee: 2001.)

(I only played Halo:CE.I'm planning to download 2 vista when I get home a few days later.)
Edited by Alexiel on Aug 3, 2009 at 09:39 AM

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri August 14, 2020 6:59 PM 515 ms.
A Halo Maps Website