A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »hi, refelction cube map question

Author Topic: hi, refelction cube map question (3 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Shadeslayer

I won't miss!!

Posted: Aug 2, 2009 05:18 PM    Msg. 1 of 3       
hi, i need to know how to make a reflection cubemap for my map so i can apply it to the halo2 battle rifle scope.

can anyone tell me?

thanks!!

Shade117 pro

Yeah bro (xfire: blue117pro) I can make cubemaps

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 02:15 AM    Msg. 2 of 3       
ummmmm i could makeone or u could download a br tag n get a reflection map from thar... cos explaining cubemaps are quite, ummm..... technical. (i cant explain it, too hard to explain)

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 09:38 AM    Msg. 3 of 3       
From what I understand, it's not that complicated. It's a map...that fits into a cube. Like if you made a cube in max and properly mapped the squares of the cubemap to the sides, then put the camera in the center and looked around, you would see it all around you and it would make a complete panorama.
Look at levels/a50/bitmaps/reflection desert night. (reflection maps are cubemaps) You can see how the 6 squares would go to make a complete 360 panorama, like a skybox. This example looks like it was made almost by taking screenshots of the map from above, editing them to be lower res, and making them into a cubemap. That's one way to do it. You could also paint them.
But the reflectionmap doesn't even have to be of the exact map. Look at the reflectionmap for forruner interiors. It isn't of an actal space, but it has some forruner-light-ish things so in game you think it's reflecting the forruner place your in.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 5:00 PM 204 ms.
A Halo Maps Website