A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Portal Game Maps (Valve) »Portal Game Maps Design »Just asking if it's possible...CUBE (map based on the movies)

Author Topic: Just asking if it's possible...CUBE (map based on the movies) (2 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 04:32 PM    Msg. 1 of 2       
Seen the movie? Seen the sequel? (CUBE 2: Hypercube). If you haven't iether go see them or ignor this thread. I wouldn't say that the movies themselves are great, but the concept is.

Basically there's a room. It has a similar style to aperture science test chambers (in fact I believe Valve was heavily influenced by the movies). The room is, you guessed it, a cube. It has 6 square doors, one in the center of each wall, with 4 ladders to reach it. The rest of the walls are pure white light panels. The doors open up to other identical rooms (actually the same room but different...sci-fi explains it). The fun part is that gravity and time speed can change in between the rooms. There are an infinite number of rooms.

If I were to make a map based on this concept, I would make it with a single cube bsp. Portals (modded to not look like portals-take away the effects) would be scripted to appear in a door whenever anyone opened it, and a corresponding portal would be made at another door (or even the same one). The person could then look through the portal and see what would appear to be another cube room.

The hard part is, in most cases, they would have to NOT see or interact with themselves or anything else in the next room when they look into it or go into it, but would if they decide to turn around and not go through the door. I don't know if scripting can set the visibility and collidability of objects, or if there's a way to delete them temporarily while saving their position. Which is why I'm asking here.

The point is that it would be an awesome experiment, and portal is the only game that could do it. The other problem is...I'm not sure what the objective of the map would be. Escape? How? What weapons/tools would you have? What other charecters are there and what do they do? etc.

I mod Halo, not portal, so couldn't make it...yet. But if anyone ever did, well, your welcome for the idea. lol

Alpha Series

Posted: May 24, 2010 04:38 PM    Msg. 2 of 2       
Get into half-life 2, tf2, or css mapping. Portal mapping is just like it, except with different end goals =P

You should be able to use a logic_auto, and use the input/outputs system to make it fire outputs to the player... Make sure they are delayed...

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page For help.

The outputs should set the player's color to 0 0 0 and set their alpha to 0. These inputs should exist on any object, even if there is no option for it. Since it doesn't recognize "player", you must type "!player" as the target, and use OnMapSpawn, and the output to send to the player is:
Parameter one:
Alpha
Parameter two:
Color
0 0 0

This may sound complicated or confusing. If you are experienced with mapping in VALVe's other games, this would be a fairly easy concept. Use that wiki to find out more.

Mess around with these inputs and outputs. Eventually you will get the hang of it. I don't suggest using this as your first test...

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat April 29, 2017 3:31 PM 172 ms.
A Halo Maps Website