A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »uvw map with odd angles

Author Topic: uvw map with odd angles (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 07:52 PM    Msg. 1 of 9       
I keep running into the same problem and I know there must be a simple easy way to solve it. Say I have a rectangular polygon and I bevel it 1 up, 1.732 in (30 degree angle). The angles of the 4 polygons it forms are NOT actually 30 degrees. That's just the slope angle, not the angle atwhich they meet. I could do some math and figure out the angle and what it should be when I scale the uvw mapping a certain way and figure out the right coordinates, but isn't there another way to make the polygons in the uvw map window proportional their geomitry. (and to make the angles correct when the uvw polys are scaled in some way).

Simple example.

Also, does the w coordinate ever have any relivance in Halo map making? What's it used for?
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 6, 2009 at 08:07 PM

Also, can anyone recommend some tuts on machines? I want to make animated hatches and some lights that turn on when you walk near them.
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 6, 2009 at 08:11 PM

BeachParty clan

Sooo... You wanna switch to Red team huh?

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 04:53 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
the machinery would work like doors, you can look at those tags to see how they are triggered.

for the rest, i never bother to calculate the uv coordinates, moving the vertexes of the uv map by hand is enough for me

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 06:39 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Ok. The doors are tricky. The have a power, which determines if they can even be opend (green or red), and a position, which is open or closed. But i think i can figure it out.

The problem now is that when I export the model, max crashes with an unhandeled error. I'm trying to make my torch. It Has a static part and an animated part. The animated part is an effect shader inside the torch (same as in the covenent torch) and the static part is the torch pole and head mesh. It's linked to a frame (frame_torcheffects) which is animated to scale up. That's linked to the main frame (frame) as is the static mesh (torch) and a marker (#light). I believe the problem is with how many things can be linked to a frame. For instance, before when I had the torch and effects as seperate objects, both linked to the main frame, it had the error. (this was withought the marker and no anims). But then I attached them to be one object linked to the frame and it worked fine. WTF?

Is this set up right?

frame (static)
....#light (marker)
....torch (mesh)
....frame_torcheffects (animated to scale)
.........torcheffects (mesh)(scales with frame_torcheffects)

(all are editable meshes)

Max 8 has an unhandeled exception when I try to export this as a jms with blitzkrieg. Bluestreak seams to work, I'm not sure, atleast it doesn't crash. But it can't export anims.

One more thing, what are light volumes and what are they used for?
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 7, 2009 at 06:55 PM

Koo294

How is she when she doesn't surf?

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 12:26 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
shouldnt it be frame torcheffects without the underscore?

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 03:56 PM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Does it matter? I'll try it that way.

Can someone please confirm that scaling animations are even possible in halo?!

Koo294

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 04:02 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
yes, they are.

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 04:25 PM    Msg. 7 of 9       
Ok. How? They should be a regular jma right? Just have a main frame, link non-animated stuff to that, then have another frame with animated geomitry linked to it and animate that frame to scale right? Do I need to change anything in guerilla?

Koo294

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 04:28 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
its exactly the same as rotating and moving. you just scale the node (frame torcheffects or whatever it was called), and leave the frame and non animated geometry alone.

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 05:06 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
Ahh. I think I found the problem. The unanimated parts were linked directly to the main frame. They should have been linked to their own unanimated frame, which is in turn linked to the main frame.

Also: am I correct in that, once I have the animation, I can set it up so that the device will normally be at frame 0, then when someone walks near it it will go through it's animation, stop at the last frame, stay there, then reverse-animate back down to frame 0 when they walk away? (basicly like a door.)

How do I do that? I looked at door device tags and they use a field called "automatic activation radius" which obviously makes them open and close when people walk near them, but after that I'm lost as for how to link animating to activation.
Edited by Vick Jr on Aug 8, 2009 at 05:38 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 4:18 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website