A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Anisotropic Filtering

Author Topic: Anisotropic Filtering (10 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

DEEhunter

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 08:45 PM    Msg. 1 of 10       
Quote: An email conversation the other day reminded me of a config.txt setting for Halo 1 PC that may interest people - the game supports anisotropic filtering, (better than trilinear, which you're probably using now), but for performance reasons, we didn't enable it on cards we hadn't specifically tested. Which now includes any card you'd be using today.

It's easy to enable it, but be warned this is only an unsupported tip, and I can't guarantee how well it will work (that's the whole reason we left it off for unknown cards)

go to your game directory and open config.txt
find the vendor string for your video card's PnP device ID (I'll let others reply with expanded help for people who don't know what this means)

Nvidia users will scroll to here:
///////////////////////////////////////////////////
//
// NVIDIA
//
//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Vendor = 0x10b4 "nVidia"
Vendor = 0x12d2 "nVidia"
Vendor = 0x10de "nVidia"

If you have a modern card, your device ID isn't listed below. So scroll down to the Unknown section:

Unknown = "Unknown"
//UseAnisotropicFilter

remove the "//" from this line to enable aniso. If you don't like it, put them back to comment out the line again.

Enjoy!

(p.s. - no, this isn't what I meant in the podcast. I'm not planning any game changes or updates. There are no concrete plans for the CD key, but it's your way to show us that you're a Halo 1 player, which we might want to know in the future.)

Here is an idea of what AF does.

Edited by DEEhunter on Aug 15, 2009 at 09:07 PM

Ro0ster

is a rooster

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:00 PM    Msg. 2 of 10       
Your Picture isn't displaying for me.

EDIT: Nevermind, he fixed it.
Edited by Ro0ster on Aug 15, 2009 at 09:10 PM

Ro0ster

is a rooster

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:12 PM    Msg. 3 of 10       
Thats pretty cool. It makes it alot more sharper and less blurry. Cool find.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:17 PM    Msg. 4 of 10       
Quote: An email conversation the other day reminded me of a config.txt setting for Halo 1 PC that may interest people - the game supports anisotropic filtering
Ugh, read the post before you make a stupid comment.
Edit: I would also very much like it if you all paid attention to this as well:
Quote: (p.s. - no, this isn't what I meant in the podcast. I'm not planning any game changes or updates. There are no concrete plans for the CD key, but it's your way to show us that you're a Halo 1 player, which we might want to know in the future.)

Hmm, not a game change or update...wonder what they're doing now ._.
Edited by ODX on Aug 15, 2009 at 09:19 PM

Karrde

Power beyond containing

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:22 PM    Msg. 5 of 10       
Well, that depends on what you mean by AF. If you mean Aerial Felines, then no, Halo does not support that, you are correct. But if you meant Anistropic Filtering, then you are incorrect.

DEEhunter

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:23 PM    Msg. 6 of 10       
Quote: --- Original message by: Mr Hat
Halo doesn't support AF.

It does...
The person who originally posted that was an administrator from bungie.net forums.
It was sawnose (Roger Wolfson) himself that said that.

vmt

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:28 PM    Msg. 7 of 10       
wow never knew Bungie was smart... they use Qbasic....

sleepy1212

sunnier than you www.quantumfusionclan.com

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:36 PM    Msg. 8 of 10       
owai

I'm thinking of that other thing that starts with an A.

antialiasing but it works...hrm...when i enable AF with nvidia CP, halo gives me an error message and asks me to run in safe mode. I have to leave it set on 'application controlled' so for the moment im with HAT. no AF.

Advancebo

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 09:39 PM    Msg. 9 of 10       
owai

I'm thinking of that other thing that starts with an A.

Anti Aliasing?

SwordMa5ster

Come get some!!!

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 11:07 PM    Msg. 10 of 10       
On a side note I think that Bungie might be interested in the CD key because of something to do with Halo Reach. We know it dosen't have to do with ODST and it can't be with Halo 1 or CE because they could just use an update for any improvments. Also AF does work I use it and it makes it look alot better but do not use if your video card sucks because it will cause lag.
Edited by SwordMa5ster on Aug 15, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat February 29, 2020 7:48 AM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website