A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[REQ] Flashlight/night map

Author Topic: [REQ] Flashlight/night map (34 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 17, 2009 12:42 PM    Msg. 1 of 34       
I'm not sure if this has been done before.

A map where everything is very very dark, dark enough that its pretty much impossible for people to see each other without flashlights. If you use your flashlight, you can look for other people. Then again, its much easier for everybody to find you.

For more interesting gameplay, make flashlight battery 1/4 as long. Furthermore, increase the brightness and penetration.

Frag grenades become flashbangs: completely **** up other peoples vision. Plasma grenades become light emitting flares. They are sticky, and emit a luminous light. Either stick them to walls, or stick them to people. Once a flare is stuck on you, prepare for the multitude of attacks. They do not do damage.

Also, make a powerup that gives you night vision for a length of time. (similar to sniper rifle night vision) Active camo is pointless in such an enviroment, but oversheild will still be useful.

Make another flashlight using a weapon. Either make it "shoot" light, or change the flashlight option on the weapon, and give it no ammo. The purpose of this flashlight is to be a high intensity high beam flashlight, that can be used at a relativly long range. it should be like a spotlight thingy, which can be used to illuminate something very far away. replace the plasma pistol with this weapon (since plasma pisols are useless, seeing as they glow, and their shots glow.)

Oh, and I'd be cool if the map was delta ruins
If its protected.... oh well.

This map should work best with radar off, so no complex cave systems where everybody will have to spend half and hour trying to find each other.

Idea sorta came from necrophobia, and my experiences with delta ruins.

-----------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------------------

Maybe i scared people off with the large block of text.

Simply, make a map such as delta ruins darker, and/or nightime.

If possible, do some small adjustments with the flashlights

If you have even more time to kill, work out flashbang/ sticky flare if possible. sticky flare can just be a plasma nade that is brighter with a really large detonate time.

If you still have time to kill, work out night vision powerfup and high-beam flash.

Edited by Vastanus neshtrog on Aug 17, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Sgt Blaze

still actin' like Two-Bit from the Outsides....

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 08:12 AM    Msg. 2 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vastanus neshtrog

I'm not sure if this has been done before.

A map where everything is very very dark, dark enough that its pretty much impossible for people to see each other without flashlights. If you use your flashlight, you can look for other people. Then again, its much easier for everybody to find you.

For more interesting gameplay, make flashlight battery 1/4 as long. Furthermore, increase the brightness and penetration.

Frag grenades become flashbangs: completely **** up other peoples vision. Plasma grenades become light emitting flares. They are sticky, and emit a luminous light. Either stick them to walls, or stick them to people. Once a flare is stuck on you, prepare for the multitude of attacks. They do not do damage.

Also, make a powerup that gives you night vision for a length of time. (similar to sniper rifle night vision) Active camo is pointless in such an enviroment, but oversheild will still be useful.

Make another flashlight using a weapon. Either make it "shoot" light, or change the flashlight option on the weapon, and give it no ammo. The purpose of this flashlight is to be a high intensity high beam flashlight, that can be used at a relativly long range. it should be like a spotlight thingy, which can be used to illuminate something very far away. replace the plasma pistol with this weapon (since plasma pisols are useless, seeing as they glow, and their shots glow.)

Oh, and I'd be cool if the map was delta ruins
If its protected.... oh well.

This map should work best with radar off, so no complex cave systems where everybody will have to spend half and hour trying to find each other.

Idea sorta came from necrophobia, and my experiences with delta ruins.

-----------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------------------

Maybe i scared people off with the large block of text.

Simply, make a map such as delta ruins darker, and/or nightime.

If possible, do some small adjustments with the flashlights

If you have even more time to kill, work out flashbang/ sticky flare if possible. sticky flare can just be a plasma nade that is brighter with a really large detonate time.

If you still have time to kill, work out night vision powerfup and high-beam flash.

Edited by Vastanus neshtrog on Aug 17, 2009 at 11:32 PM
sounds like the mods just keep gettin' better.

Megaguirus

Om nom nom

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 11:05 AM    Msg. 3 of 34       
nyeh...what was the point of quoting his post.

Anyway this sounds like quite a good idea, im not sure about the night vision power up though, maybe like a weapon which dosen't fire but gives you night vision by pressing q as long as you have that weapon out.

edit: edit 2: nvm
Edited by Megaguirus on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:06 AM
Edited by Megaguirus on Aug 18, 2009 at 11:06 AM

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 11:52 AM    Msg. 4 of 34       
I've done some testing with very thick black fog, when you put your flashlight on, it would show up from far away making you a easy target.

Corvette19

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 11:56 AM    Msg. 5 of 34       
I've always wanted to do a map like this :)
I'll help you if I can. You got Xfire?

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 01:14 PM    Msg. 6 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Megaguirus

nyeh...what was the point of quoting his post.

Anyway this sounds like quite a good idea, im not sure about the night vision power up though, maybe like a weapon which dosen't fire but gives you night vision by pressing q as long as you have that weapon out.

Im suprised i didn't think of that.

So like, night vision glasses.... that would work. Too bad you wouldn't be able to shoot while using them. Is it possible to make the night vision power up just convert all flashlights on your weapons to night vision?

Quote: --- Original message by: chrisk123999
I've done some testing with very thick black fog, when you put your flashlight on, it would show up from far away making you a easy target.

I was thinking of doing it without fog, but that effect is somewhat the point. flashlight exposes yourself, but also makes it possible to find other people. Due to the darkness in the map, they will be necessary, most of the time, just so you can move around sensibly. however, If you can see someone else's flashlight, and just want to sneak up/escape, you'll turn it off.

So using the flashlight has pro's and con's.

Quote: --- Original message by: Corvette19
I've always wanted to do a map like this :)
I'll help you if I can. You got Xfire?

Sorry, no Xfire. And my dad would probably not appreciate finding it on his computer after he gets back from work.

WHERE'S ARTEEN? :|

Edited by Vastanus neshtrog on Aug 18, 2009 at 01:23 PM

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 02:13 PM    Msg. 7 of 34       
this would be a good map for my ninja skillz to develope lol

Buggy Virus

Tastes like happiness

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 02:39 PM    Msg. 8 of 34       
That would be cool, I would like a sniper with night vision sights

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 03:08 PM    Msg. 9 of 34       
Don't snipers come with night vision sights by defualt? Thats what gave me the idea.

Im going to try sharkinthedark, or w/e it is.

Still, id be nice if it could be adapted with flashbangs/flairs/nightvision/highbeam flashlights, or to a better map.

sleepy1212

sunnier than you www.quantumfusionclan.com

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 03:55 PM    Msg. 10 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous__1337
a fun map to do this on is putput btw :D (it has another name in halo)

putput? why putput? too close quarter for this gametype i think..maybe prisoner, damnation, or chill out if your going with stock maps...at least they use corners instead of tele's.... he said delta ruins anyway.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 05:31 PM    Msg. 11 of 34       
Yah, shark in the dark isn't much good. Way too big, and confuzing map layout. Even if we all turned our flashlights on, it would be difficult finding each other.

and the flashlights are weaksauce, they're pretty much useless you're at shotgun 1 hit kill range. It needs to be assualt rifle or plasma rifle range.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 05:54 PM    Msg. 12 of 34       
lol i looked at it and knew i didnt want to download it

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 01:19 AM    Msg. 13 of 34       
Does anybody know if flashbangs are possible?

I mean, i'm guessing that having them illuminate a large area for a couple of seconds is possible, but is it possible to turn blind anybody that looks at it while it explodes?

Maybe generate a white orb. If you are within the orb, you cannot look out, but if you are outside of it, anything you see in it appears normal, with a tidge of whiteness.

BeachParty clan

Sooo... You wanna switch to Red team huh?

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 01:57 AM    Msg. 14 of 34       
Oooh I remeber that I wanted to make a simelar map idea, but just for the creep effect, it never got finished though.

VictorVinceVinson

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 02:04 AM    Msg. 15 of 34       
Ooh, is that the hud CabooseJr wanted to do?

BeachParty clan

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 02:34 AM    Msg. 16 of 34       
Eh? The HUD is completely my idea and made by me, the point was the fog, not the hud.

VictorVinceVinson

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 03:25 AM    Msg. 17 of 34       
Oh, I thought it looked a lot like this hud:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2086

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 11:26 AM    Msg. 18 of 34       
So is anybody gunna take this project up?

sleepy1212

sunnier than you www.quantumfusionclan.com

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 11:32 AM    Msg. 19 of 34       
I'd like to do something like this on my next project...but not the whole thing, just a certain area...it would really only amount to fog though..no "flashbangs"

Megaguirus

Om nom nom

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 06:48 PM    Msg. 20 of 34       
Extra bright muzzle flashes :D

In the .damage_effect tag, there is something called screen flash (you don't even have to scroll down) you can make it so your screen tints white when you are hit by it, although if you were looking away when you were hit...
bah

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 06:52 PM    Msg. 21 of 34       
Well, the thing about fog:

It makes flashlights dimmer (light is dispersed before reaching target distance) and it makes people who use flashlights more obvious. (you can more easily see their beams), resulting in more people prefering to blunder around in the dark, than turn their flashlights on. flashlight usefulness goes down, and people use them less.

Anyway, i tried out some of the maps that come with halo ce. The ones that I'm fairly sure would work the best seem to be (in no particular order):

longest: its not even that big. :)
Rat race: mhm.
chill out: the fog might be interesting, especially if you can make it a little bit less dense, and let it go higher. Then you could crouch and hide in it.
derelict: its big, but could work, depending on the number of people. I can imagine flashlight beams pointing through air.

and, to some extent:

chiron TL34: its teleporters are annoying... but it could work out
prisinor: Its big, and dosn't really focus and close-medium range combat
damnation: ^^

I havn't got wizard, hang'em high, or battle creek, so i don't know about those. Also, note that the maps you use must be playable without radar (or theres no point to flashlights), so we probably shouldn't use convluted maps.

-------------------------------------------------EDIT----------------------------------------

Quote: --- Original message by: Megaguirus
Extra bright muzzle flashes :D

In the .damage_effect tag, there is something called screen flash (you don't even have to scroll down) you can make it so your screen tints white when you are hit by it, although if you were looking away when you were hit...
bah

Zomg, that i didn't know.

Well, we could fake it a bit. Make it like a normal grenade, do a little damage (enough to take down sheilds) and make it uber brigth and flare, and the screen tint, and let it emit some big whitish particles that stay around for a time, which obscures vision.

When i observed a normal grenade in shark_in_the_dark, i noticed that it would illuminate a section very easily when it explodes. Up the brightness, so it illuminates are LARGE section, increase splash range, do the tint thingy, and the smoke thingy (like 10 tranlucent orbs of foglike particles)

A BS flashbang. But a flashbang never the less.

Edited by Vastanus neshtrog on Aug 19, 2009 at 06:59 PM

flyingdaggerz

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 08:45 PM    Msg. 22 of 34       
In Team Slayer, won't your teammate's names show up right above them? So won't flashlights be irrelevant?
Edited by flyingdaggerz on Aug 19, 2009 at 08:45 PM

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 19, 2009 11:21 PM    Msg. 23 of 34       
Huh?

But you still don't know where the enemy players are....

you don't use flashlights to find out where you're allies are located, you use them for your surroundings, and enemies.

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 08:00 AM    Msg. 24 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: flyingdaggerz

In Team Slayer, won't your teammate's names show up right above them? So won't flashlights be irrelevant?
Edited by flyingdaggerz on Aug 19, 2009 at 08:45 PM

There's a way to disable that in gametype creation, and I think you can remove it. CMT changed it, so there may be a way to make it invisible.

BeachParty clan

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 10:28 AM    Msg. 25 of 34       
Thing is, we could use completely black skies and lightmaps, BUT people tend to be cheaters and turn their gamma up

so just to mention that that's why FOG is the only option <-- important

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 11:31 AM    Msg. 26 of 34       
I disagree, I think that if its dark enough, even if you turn the gamma up, everything would be the same shade of light grey. Even if you turned contrast all the way up, visibility would still be very poor.

However, you have much more experience than me, so you're likely to be correct.

Only one way to be sure... make a test map. A smalll, extremely simple map, that demonstrates whether this concept would work better with fog, or without it.

vmt

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 12:37 PM    Msg. 27 of 34       
or just use a map already made for testing also

i will help witht the project
Edited by vmt on Aug 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 01:50 PM    Msg. 28 of 34       
Fog with an anti turning off fog script running.

Also, though some testing I did awhile back, when you have very thick fog and your skybox has a model, you can see where faces get culled. Fog doesn't like to show up on skyboxes so you have to set your skybox to the same color as the fog.
Edited by chrisk123999 on Aug 20, 2009 at 01:52 PM

BeachParty clan

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 05:14 PM    Msg. 29 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vastanus neshtrog
I disagree, I think that if its dark enough, even if you turn the gamma up, everything would be the same shade of light grey. Even if you turned contrast all the way up, visibility would still be very poor.

However, you have much more experience than me, so you're likely to be correct.

Only one way to be sure... make a test map. A smalll, extremely simple map, that demonstrates whether this concept would work better with fog, or without it.

Done that, i'm not telling it to annoy, but to save you time, since i tried it =)

Fog with an anti turning off fog script running.

Also, though some testing I did awhile back, when you have very thick fog and your skybox has a model, you can see where faces get culled. Fog doesn't like to show up on skyboxes so you have to set your skybox to the same color as the fog.
Edited by chrisk123999 on Aug 20, 2009 at 01:52 PM

There is a checkbox in the very top saying "do not optimise, required for gameplay" somewhere, its been awhile so i cant recall it

i'll upload my fog stuff, i have to set up my windows since i reinstalled, but its fun gameplay since you completely rely on your radar, the screenshot i made was to test it on B30 silent cartographer level

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Aug 20, 2009 05:41 PM    Msg. 30 of 34       
That's for weapons. The BSP always gets culled.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 12:08 AM    Msg. 31 of 34       
Quote: --- Original message by: vmt

or just use a map already made for testing also

i will help witht the project
Edited by vmt on Aug 20, 2009 at 12:37 PM

Can you change the lightmaps or whatever for one of the maps that comes with halo CE? Maybe rat race or chill out. Just make it alot darker, and up flashlight strength a bit. (for now, anyways)

That's for weapons. The BSP always gets culled.

Huh? BSP?

@beachparty clan

Can you give us the map? one with fog as dark as you can, and one without the fog, but also very dark.

I havn't actually played in a map with huge fog before, dunno what its like.

Edited by Vastanus neshtrog on Aug 21, 2009 at 12:13 AM

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 12:35 AM    Msg. 32 of 34       
When your in a thick fog. When you look at the skybox and the skybox has a model on it, you will see where the game culls the BSP since it think you can't see it because of the fog. You see the fog then you see where it cuts of the skybox.

vmt

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 12:38 AM    Msg. 33 of 34       
will do will do i can get it for you tomorrow though cause im going to rest for the night its 12:38 am here

Edit: 2nd page FTW
Edited by vmt on Aug 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 01:08 PM    Msg. 34 of 34       
My request:

1.) Pick a defualt halo CE map, thats suitable size and structure. (i suggest rat race, or chill out, or wizard)

2.) Change lightmaps and stuff to make it nearly pitch dark. However, you may have one or two areas with lit, just to make gameplay more interesting (such as the central top area on wizard)

3.) Change flashlight stuffs, making it more useful

4.) If necessary, add fog

5.) Test to see if flashlights are balanced, repeat steps 2-4 if necessary

6.) add extras, such as flashbang, sticky flare, night vision goggles, super flashlight, etc. (explained in the first page of this thread)

7.) If sucessful, apply to a diffrnt map, or make a map that allows for better gameplay.

I'm not trying to order you around, this is sort of what i'm thinking would be most efficent. I've described several of the effects of the things in #6 on the first page.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed August 12, 2020 2:14 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website