A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Docking vehicles....can it be done?

Author Topic: Docking vehicles....can it be done? (13 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

videoman

We are Microsoft, Resistance is Futile

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 07:11 PM    Msg. 1 of 13       
Hey there!

My newest Halo CE map is coming along well. Its still in the modeling phase, because it is going to one heck of a map. The map i am making is going to be a surprise to all. I am not posting any info...so be ready to have some fun when it comes out!
Anyways....i have a kinda complex question, that will probably give me an complex answer.
So, here is it:
Is i possible to make a vehicle "Dock"?
Like..lets say you want a boat to Dock at the boat docking facility (or ramp). Can it be done? Like if i am driving a boat around and i want it to go dock at a ramp (when i get close enough), is it possible? OR if i want a airplane to stop on a runway (instead of it going flying off somewhere when you get out of it) can you do that?

Thanks

Videoman

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 07:14 PM    Msg. 2 of 13       
Make an object, and use the object_attach command when the vehicle gets near.

Problems: You can walk through what used to be the vehicle
You can't enter the vehicle, until it detaches.

videoman

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 07:21 PM    Msg. 3 of 13       
ok...but how do you "detach" it? What your saying, is sounding like is that, when you attach the vehicle....you cant detach it. can you detach the vehicle after detaching it?

OH! and does the feature sync online?
Edited by videoman on Aug 21, 2009 at 07:21 PM

Gamma927

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 07:34 PM    Msg. 4 of 13       
It will sync through a continuous attach and detach cycle. And it depends on how you want to detach it. You could make it so that it detaches when you get near, but re-attaches if you go too far away without getting in.

videoman

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 08:14 PM    Msg. 5 of 13       
can i make it detach when i enter the vehicle? and then attach when i exit the vehicle?

Gamma927

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 09:08 PM    Msg. 6 of 13       
You can't enter an attached vehicle. You can only enter the vehicle if it's detached.

him withgun

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 10:27 PM    Msg. 7 of 13       
can you use volume triggers so that when the player come into the trigger it cheaks to see if odject is attached and if it is then it detaches. and does vice virsa ?
i dont know the scripts for detach attact things so can you explain them?

Me KS

Desire is Reality. Xfire: jetmaster23

Posted: Aug 21, 2009 11:50 PM    Msg. 8 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
You can't enter an attached vehicle. You can only enter the vehicle if it's detached.

True, but if it's being constantly detached at the end of each tick for the sake of syncing, then you could get in.

So, the answer is yes. But, you would need a trigger volume in the dock area to make sure the vehicle is actually near enough to the dock to attach when you exit it. Otherwise, the vehicle would attach to the dock no matter where you exit in the map.

Gravemind

The Age of Reclamation has begun.

Posted: Aug 22, 2009 07:11 AM    Msg. 9 of 13       
put a trigger volume where you want to dock it, and rig it to the flashlight of the vehicle, so if you dont want to dock you can fly thru without the light on. make it so that it keeps attaching + detaching until you are in the driver seat with vehicle_test_seat, then leave it detached. you will also need to make the flashlight turn off after docking so it wont dock again as soon as you enter, and you'll need an object to attach it to

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 08:37 AM    Msg. 10 of 13       
If the vehicle is not going to move after its docked, why do you need a continu=ouse attack/detach cycle?

Basicy, like they said, you could have a trigger volume in the docking area. if a vehicle being driven enters it, it automaticly attaches to the dock, and makes the player exit, and teleports them to the side (to avoid them coming out in wierd plaes). Then, if a player comes into a docking area with a docked vehicle, the vehicle detaches and the player can get into it. It could even detach right after it attaches, just so it's in place.

Comno

So witch one of you stole my cookie?

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 11:05 AM    Msg. 11 of 13       
seems like a good idea

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Aug 26, 2009 06:14 PM    Msg. 12 of 13       
If you go into the dock, then try to exit, you'll get caught on the entrance trigger volume. How would you fix that?

Me KS

Desire is Reality. Xfire: jetmaster23

Posted: Aug 27, 2009 09:44 PM    Msg. 13 of 13       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vick Jr
If the vehicle is not going to move after its docked, why do you need a continu=ouse attack/detach cycle?

It's because object attaching doesn't sync.

When object 'A' is attached to object 'B' on server side, the netcode considers object 'A' to have disappeared from existence. The result is that object 'A' doesn't exist for clients at all after it's attached on server side. What they see is 'A' vanishing out of nowhere.

When 'A' is detached on server side, it is again considered existent and so it's updated to the clients. What they see when it's detached is the object reappearing out of nowhere.

So, the solution is to detach 'A' immediately after it's attached in each tick. Since it's left detached at the end of each tick, it is considered existent and so the server updates it to the clients.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun January 19, 2020 5:17 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website