A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Dynamic flowing (and killing) water + gradient outdoor fog and weather

Author Topic: Dynamic flowing (and killing) water + gradient outdoor fog and weather (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Vick Jr

Well enough alone...

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 05:54 PM    Msg. 1 of 4       
I'm making a map with large water pipes that the player can walk through and I was wondering how feasible it would be to have water come through the pipes (snaking around the turns and such), and kill them. I was thinking the best way to do this would be to have a very large projectile with a contrail that starts at one end and will bounce around the pipes, following the curves, and killing the players as it goes. The disadvantage is contrails aren't very advanced for effects. Another option would be an animated device machine which could have a rippling shader effect and bubble particle systems, etc and player damaging nodes like the fire scenery. If you have any other ideas, please tell.

I know Halo's fog system is very limited, and weather isn't much more advanced. Is it possible to have fog and a weather particle system outside, but none inside, yet make it visible to players inside? (What's that +weatherpoly special shader used for anyway?) The sky tag has settings that would seem to indicate this is possible for fog, but is it possible with planar fog that starts at a certain level and gradients up to maximum density? If not, would it be feasible to have a fog shader that I could use to honeycomb the outside, making farther away objects greyer (because they are being viewed through more semi-transparent fog screen polygons) and closer objects clearer?

Also, what's the difference between the "*" and "@" shader symbols? They both make things collision-only, so where should one be used and not the other?

One more thing, anyone have any tutorials on animated (4 stage) shaders?

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Aug 29, 2009 09:22 PM    Msg. 2 of 4       
With portals the fog and weather thing shouldn't be a problem. Just don't give the portals that are in the inside weather. And you can set the interior fog I different from the outside fog, if that's what your asking.

him withgun

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 03:10 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
how do you set the fog all my own attemps have failed. i was also trying something like this.

BeachParty clan

Sooo... You wanna switch to Red team huh?

Posted: Aug 30, 2009 04:43 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
use an effect tag for flowing water in pipes, its the most robust WORKING way without lagging the SHIZ out of people

what i once did, was make water vehicle... well that failed you can imagine.... throw a map full with warthogs and you know what i mean. well it worked, but even nasa won't run it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oadVh7r0NLI&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2FImBrokeRU&feature=player_profilepage

broke did it here, not meant to flow water so he didnt, but you can get the idea, i hope.

Edited by BeachParty clan on Aug 30, 2009 at 04:44 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 20, 2020 9:37 AM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website