A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Garden Release Topic

Author Topic: Garden Release Topic (29 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 08:08 PM    Msg. 1 of 29       
Hello, welcome to my luxurious Sci-Fi Garden map.
Garden is a medium sized map set above a large sea built into some cliffs.
The map has a theme of black and white, along with some other shades and colors, with nice shaders and textures, along with custom flags as well.
Florescent lights light up the map, along with the big sun. We also have thrown in some amazing lighting into the map.
Enough talk, I want pictures!!!!

(last picture shows the errors im talking about below with the lighting)
Credits:
Higuy - Original design, population, unwrapping, debugging, and almost everything else
avp DRAGON - All of the textures besides the ground and cliff belong to him, he did a nice job.
DEElekgolo - The lighting was done by him. We ran into a few problems with it, but most were fixed. Your probally going to notice a few splotches of black and here and there, we couldn't fix that, and didn't want to miss out on the great lighting.
RealWorlders and TG The Gathering - Thanks to you guys, we had some great fun and a good job on finding errors and testing the map out to a good extent, thanks guys!
Everyone else that someway helped - Thanks, I know im missing some people, but I didn't want to make this too long. Thanks guys!!!

Bugs n stuff -

• You may see some black spotches here and there. We couldn't figure out what they were coming from. We though they were the lightmaps, but there not. We fixed most of them, it use to be horrible.

• Map has a major clipping issue when you go into flycam and go out of the playing field.

Map IS open sourced.Credit goes to _N_ From Beyond Unreal for the original map idea of "Hanging Gardens" For unreal tournament 3. See, I didn't forget you ;]

Download : Halomaps
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4863
Edited by Higuy on Sep 3, 2009 at 08:32 PM
Edited by Higuy on Sep 6, 2009 at 07:55 PM

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 08:10 PM    Msg. 2 of 29       
*waits for upload to be done*

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 08:12 PM    Msg. 3 of 29       
Nice map, and the lighting is really good.
Can't wait for this.
make it an h2 mod mb...

shadowslayer123

Not the american average

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 08:15 PM    Msg. 4 of 29       
cool, i will try this before i go to bed

Buggy Virus

Tastes like happiness

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 08:22 PM    Msg. 5 of 29       
This will be fun

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 08:23 PM    Msg. 6 of 29       
is the ground texture in the pictures the final one?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 08:32 PM    Msg. 7 of 29       

sierra117

If sex is good exercise, why are there fat sluts?

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 08:36 PM    Msg. 8 of 29       
wilco.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 09:03 PM    Msg. 9 of 29       
The white light around that part of the map is lights, just doesn't bloom.

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 09:32 PM    Msg. 10 of 29       
The hedge looks a bit too dark, the waterfall spray emitter is not needed and looks strange as the waterfall is about 4 inches tall, and the default weapons do not fit the map's theme. Besides that, excellent map.

DEEhunter

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 09:34 PM    Msg. 11 of 29       
Stop giving crit. The map is already released.

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 09:42 PM    Msg. 12 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: DEEhunter
Stop giving crit. The map is already released.
His next map might also have a 4 inch waterfall he doesn't need to put the waterfall spray emitter on.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 09:50 PM    Msg. 13 of 29       
I could care less. The spray emitter looks alot better with it then without.

DEEhunter

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 09:51 PM    Msg. 14 of 29       

SiMuLaCrUm

too digital

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 10:43 PM    Msg. 15 of 29       
Why does the bulletin board mention 4chan...?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 10:44 PM    Msg. 16 of 29       
Ok, lets break it down. I know who you are, and how you act and such, but im not going to bring that against you.
Quote: --- Original message by: Sam
Now, normally I try to avoid doing things like this, but seriously- ewww. The amount of attention the map is getting doesn't fit, so I'll give you all a reason to not play the level.
The ammount of attention is getting is from the public liking it, deal with it.

--Thread Jacking Commence--

The idea behind the level is splendid. The idea behind the design is splendid. The idea behind the textures is splendid. The shaders... are horrible. Again, I hate pointing things like these out, but I have to, or else I would slowly and painfully die because I knew somebody on the internet did something stupid.
If you didn't wan't to post it in the first place, then don't, or just don't respond at all.

1. The shaders had no detail whatsoever. Yes they may have had DETAIL MAPS, but when I got up close and personal with the textures, all I could see was pixels. Pixels are ugly, so at the least throw a metal scratches detail on them all or something. ANYTHING.
I threw some scratches on them, and such. Though when testing it, it didn't look nice. I took them out, and decided to keep the map "Clean".

2. The energy bridge is nice; unfortunately, it could be so much better. There are these things called mipmaps. Learn how to manipulate them. Learn quickly.
Ok, advice taken.
3. The way you just slapped on a generic texture for everything is pathetic. You'd be surprised how good something as simple as a UV unwrapped glass texture looks. Same goes for the waterfall. It's not hard and makes it look so much better than the generic one you have now. Seriously, you're either extremely in-experienced, or a really lazy map maker. If you would like more information on this, dig through some Halo 2 textures. You'll see what I mean eventually.
Seriously, if the Texturing idea is "splendid" then I don't get the first part of this. Im not an idiot, I know how unwrap. I don't really get the in experienced part or the lazy part either, maybe becuase im tired, or your grammer and sentence stucture sucks.

4. More shaders had 'overbright' on, than there should. This effect destroys other specular effects and can look nasty if you use it in such a situation where, ironically, you did... everywhere.
I didn't feel as if the overbright trashed the map up. I felt as if it even helped the map aim towards the theme of it even more, and look better.

5. The lens flare spacing on shaders that had them was extremely strange. What were you thinking? Learn how to apply math skills to real life problems.
each face has a lens flare.
0.25, was giving me errors.
1 was giving me errors
2,3, and 4. etc. I decided that since there was too many lens flare's, I'd just use 1. Apparently bringing it up to 6 did the trick.

6. There is an amazing trick where you make the physics properties of shader below water- "water". Try it and be amazed, newbie map maker.
I actually tried that out, and it looked disgusting. You mean the way they did the water in the begining of a30..yeah, didn't look so hot.

7. You used CMT's old, disgusting clover/grass detail map. Not to be picky or anything, but do you even care how your map looks? You clearly don't; it has errors on it. I challenge you to find them. Yeah, like I-Spy, except more awesome.
I like that detail map alot, thats why its on there. becuase I care

8. The cubemap's reflection settings on everything could be better. There's no way you tweaked them to look just right, because they don't look "right".
:effort:

And do know that this report was generated on the basis of me playing it, wanting to kill myself, and then deleting the map immediately afterward? Postpone the release and fix the shaders or else your map will forever rot in the cold, lifeless servers at UXB.
:|
If you seriously feel the need to change anything to make it better, be my guest.

Kissy Kissy Hugs & Such, Sali. :)

Sali, I know you love drama.
So I gave you some
Now im going to see how long it takes for you to try not to respond.

SiMuLaCrUm

too digital

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 10:49 PM    Msg. 17 of 29       
Quote: --- Original message by: Sam
lol reply

I see what you did there.

SiMuLaCrUm

too digital

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 11:38 PM    Msg. 18 of 29       
Problems such as? Not making maps for ce anymore? Join the club :D

Ki11erFTW

You've seen nothing yet.

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 12:26 AM    Msg. 19 of 29       
Uh? "sam", frankly im afraid your the one who doesn't know what your talking about.
A lot was effort was put into the map, and if you don't like it, don't play it, simple as that.
Its one thing to list a few things that are wrong with the map, its another to be a dick about it.

and Higuy, a comment like " I know you like drama" was not needed.
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Sep 4, 2009 at 12:28 AM

sleepy1212

sunnier than you www.quantumfusionclan.com

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 01:30 AM    Msg. 20 of 29       
i liked it minus that i lagged over the energy bridges and some oddball uvs on the lilypad water......oh and the music....i turned it off. but those really didn't take away from an altogether cool map.

Marka Haiyana

w0rt

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 02:07 AM    Msg. 21 of 29       
ahh I KNEW this map seemed familiar.

Wolf_

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 04:20 AM    Msg. 22 of 29       
Sam stop being butthurt because he totally owned you..Map is awesome.

Period.

Tricky

I cant think of a quote...

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 05:40 AM    Msg. 23 of 29       
Higuy Ive set up Garden on my fresh new UK server "Trickys Server".

Its the only map on the mapcycle at the moment so if anyone wants to play thats the place to go.

Current setups

• Garden_CE ctf

• Garden_CE "team king"

• Garden_CE slayer

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 06:16 AM    Msg. 24 of 29       
Awesome :]

Wolf_

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 06:20 AM    Msg. 25 of 29       
Tricky add TM_Immolate to your mapcycle aswell:)

Tricky

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 07:02 AM    Msg. 26 of 29       
I am going to, just at work right now but might be cheeky and do it from here as weve got an awsome connection (12 mb upload speed ftw!)

What gametypes? Ctf worked well on it the other night any others?

AlwinRoth

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 10:18 AM    Msg. 27 of 29       
I love You.
I love this Map.
Now all I need is a computer so I can play this on max.

And Dennis will probably love this map

Tricky

Posted: Sep 4, 2009 10:32 AM    Msg. 28 of 29       
Ive not actually played the map yet but I'll be having a few rounds on there tonight. Map looks very nice and of course will be on max settings on my uber machine :-)

@ AlwinRoth - No computer at all? Or you need a new better one?

@ Wolf - TM_Immolate is now on the mapcycle have a look on TG for the full details.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 6, 2009 07:54 PM    Msg. 29 of 29       

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue March 31, 2020 4:17 PM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website