A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »what happend to this great game??

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next
Author Topic: what happend to this great game?? (47 messages, Page 1 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

xsnoder

~xofect~flem~

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 08:36 AM    Msg. 1 of 47       
2 years ago this was the game to get and play. it was fun and
more than just a game. In the last couple of months nobody seems to be playing
that much Unless u count poq. The poq clan has shut every map maker and
even dedicated servers down to the ground. poq is a infection and a clan
that can not regulate itself. Wonder why new maps dont get played, cuase
dedi's are to busy trying to compete with poq. This is fact,, whenever
a clan runs a popular map that hasent been played in a while and it
becomes popular agian >this f@#$%^ worthless bunch of dumbasses (poq)
run the game on there dedi and start having there clan members start
playing it to chum others into thinking that 'they are the place to be'
If you are a poq member then this is for you. Your clan sucks and is a
leech on the neck of gaming. You dont do s!@#t for the community except
when your in a popularity contest. Your Admin. does not oversee anything
or anyone in your clan. Ever see lord of the flies?, YEA , thats you
guys in a nut shell except the lack of leadership. I have been making
maps for a year now and I use to enjoy it but latley, poq, the dev runners' aim botters, blabla bla have left me amazed confused and
mostly disheartend. Map making went from fun to competition? What the
hell everyone. (I dont come here normally because you get your butt
handed to you no matter what the question or inquiry. so chew on this for awhile
and critizie the hell out of it)
my maps are fun not the greatest but people play them and I enjoy the
hell out of most maps from other map makers. Clans like poq with there
lack of excperience in a true communitiy based environment and endless
popularity stepping will eventually disease halo ce to the point of its own demise.

PEACE

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 09:25 AM    Msg. 2 of 47       
I stopped reading after the first line.
The reason why few people play this game is because of 3 versions , 2 legal and 1 pirated , most play on the pirated server.
Also , people dont know about this game.

BeachParty clan

Sooo... You wanna switch to Red team huh?

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 09:41 AM    Msg. 3 of 47       
tl:dr

atleast make it look less boring if you rant, organise posts.

whatever you said, games die. all games do. move on if you dont like this one.

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 09:56 AM    Msg. 4 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: xsnoder
that much Unless u count poq. The poq clan has shut every map maker and
even dedicated servers down to the ground. poq is a infection and a clan
that can not regulate itself. Wonder why new maps dont get played, cuase
dedi's are to busy trying to compete with poq. This is fact,, whenever
a clan runs a popular map that hasent been played in a while and it
becomes popular agian >this f@#$%^ worthless bunch of dumbasses (poq)
run the game on there dedi and start having there clan members start
playing it to chum others into thinking that 'they are the place to be'
If you are a poq member then this is for you. Your clan sucks and is a
leech on the neck of gaming. You dont do s!@#t for the community except
when your in a popularity contest. Your Admin. does not oversee anything
or anyone in your clan. Ever see lord of the flies?, YEA , thats you
guys in a nut shell except the lack of leadership. I have been making
maps for a year now and I use to enjoy it but latley, poq, the dev runners' aim botters, blabla bla have left me amazed confused and
mostly disheartend. Map making went from fun to competition? What the
hell everyone. (I dont come here normally because you get your butt
handed to you no matter what the question or inquiry. so chew on this for awhile
and critizie the hell out of it)

my maps are fun not the greatest but people play them and I enjoy the
hell out of most maps from other map makers. Clans like poq with there
lack of excperience in a true communitiy based environment and endless
popularity stepping will eventually disease halo ce to the point of its own demise.

PEACE
Bold does not fit as your post does not seem very peaceful. It seems more like a declaration of war to a certain POQ.
Due to italics, I will say this: Your maps suck. Learn to model properly. There is a plane modeling tutorial by llama master ( http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3628 ) and a cliff tutorial by massacre ( http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3591 ). Watch these and use their techniques.
Wait, that was too constructive. Let me re-phrase that. Your maps suck. Stop wasting dennis' bandwidth and get the hell out. Does that fit your description of us better?
Edited by gruntfromhalo on Sep 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM

xsnoder

~xofect~flem~

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 10:28 AM    Msg. 5 of 47       
I know my maps are not great dumbass, thats not the point always a miss in this site, as usual
my english is not the point either want to be a teacher go teach fool
'Map making went from fun to competition?' this is the point as always no help just everyones constructive wait lets quote ytou halogrunt (Wait, that was too constructive. Let me re-phrase that. Your maps suck. Stop wasting dennis' bandwidth and get the hell out. Does that fit your description of us better?)
rest my case

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 10:48 AM    Msg. 6 of 47       
I know my maps are not great dumbass, thats not the point always a miss in this site, as usual
my english is not the point either want to be a teacher go teach fool
'Map making went from fun to competition?' this is the point as always no help just everyones constructive wait lets quote ytou halogrunt (Wait, that was too constructive. Let me re-phrase that. Your maps suck. Stop wasting dennis' bandwidth and get the hell out. Does that fit your description of us better?)
rest my case
What is a halogrunt? What is this ytou you speak of?
Edited by gruntfromhalo on Sep 18, 2009 at 10:50 AM

xsnoder

~xofect~flem~

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 11:02 AM    Msg. 7 of 47       
see grow up. As for my love of this game read something speacial. it is in the last day or so. gruntfromhalo thanks for the correction but who are you refering to when you say "us" unless you are an poq admin. im done here and will not post agian.

SiMuLaCrUm

too digital

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 11:22 AM    Msg. 8 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: gruntfromhalo

Bold does not fit as your post does not seem very peaceful. It seems more like a declaration of war to a certain POQ.
Due to italics, I will say this: Your maps suck. Learn to model properly. There is a plane modeling tutorial by llama master ( http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3628 ) and a cliff tutorial by massacre ( http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3591 ). Watch these and use their techniques.
Wait, that was too constructive. Let me re-phrase that. Your maps suck. Stop wasting dennis' bandwidth and get the hell out. Does that fit your description of us better?

Design doesn't always mean everything, its gameplay that makes a map good. Just because it may look like crap, doesn't mean it does not play good. Look at mine. From a technical design standpoint, they suck. But from what I have heard from most people, they are good to play on.
xsnoder is correct when he says that the only thing people around here seem to care about is how a map looks. Not all of us have the time or patience to master the difficult art of modeling. Maybe some of us only want to do this for fun, without the fear of having someone say "you're map looks like crap," which seems to be the only form of crit that ever comes from most of the people here.

In summary: What happened to this game and community? All the people who learned quickly and what-not became elitists who post one line criticisms that generally contain "you suck," or "your maps suck." And all of these discourage new people from wanting to join in.
Edited by SiMuLaCrUm on Sep 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 11:57 AM    Msg. 9 of 47       
that much
Halo Custom Edition was released early in 2004 by Gearbox as an “unsupported” game upgrade. I started this website in mid 2004 because the people, mostly 35 years my junior, that were trying to host user made maps for download did not have a full understanding of the requirements for such an endeavor. I don’t fault them because when I was their age I didn’t have a full grasp of these types of things either. It is the nature of nature.

I too liked and still like the game, but I also know that the majority of people who play it are of school age, and getting younger, and have a very different perspective than someone who has lived much longer. Again it is the nature of nature and why getting older is not such a bad thing.

Every year about this time there is an outcry that the game is dying or no one is playing or “oh my god the world is ending when will it be over, the inhumanity of it ”! Ok, I exaggerate maybe a little, but only a little, because raging hormones for the average player of this game exaggerates everything! The main reason that player count, in a normally low player count game, drops at this time each year is precisely because the average player is of school age and therefore is in…school or studying for it. It is normal.
Map making went from fun to competition?'
Once again the majority of people who play Halo CE are of school age, and getting younger, and have a very different perspective than someone who has lived much longer. The need to compete in the most trivial of matters is much stronger at that age than in one who is on in years. I often find myself asking my nephew or my niece’s son if this or that is normal and what “people now do” and am constantly amazed at what people think is important and how I could have forgotten it.

I guess what I am saying is don’t sweat the small stuff and that there will be more people playing once they settle into the routine of being back to school. As for some people being unduly harsh, inappropriate and childish…. Yea they’ll do that too. They always have and always will, now even more so, because it is unlike when I was a kid where all interaction was local and done face to face and not virtually with an exaggerated sense of anonymity afforded by the nature of the Internet.

sleepy1212

sunnier than you www.quantumfusionclan.com

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 12:12 PM    Msg. 10 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: SiMuLaCrUm
xsnoder is correct when he says that the only thing people around here seem to care about is how a map looks.

gameplay is not much of a factor when there aren't enough people to play the maps.

KillerKip1

Rigs of Rods

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 02:09 PM    Msg. 11 of 47       
Come to think of all of this, I have never downloaded a map with good gameplay from this website.... not even the remakes are good.....

Just goes to prove that its more for the fame and glory, than the fun.....

Take that back, a little; I have seen one or two good gameplay maps.

Buggy Virus

Tastes like happiness

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 04:06 PM    Msg. 12 of 47       
Anyways...

So there is a pirated server somewhere? Oh, why not shut it down.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 04:16 PM    Msg. 13 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: KillerKip1
Come to think of all of this, I have never downloaded a map with good gameplay from this website.... not even the remakes are good.....

Just goes to prove that its more for the fame and glory, than the fun.....

Take that back, a little; I have seen one or two good gameplay maps.

you obviously have no idea what your talking about - at all.
there are PLENTY, i mean PLENTY of extremely fun maps on this website that are gameplay and look like crap.
i have a dedicated server with alot of fun maps, and we play on it regularly .

oh and the guy that made this thread
the games not dieing, the people are just changing. the player base may of had more people way back then, but then again, its still pretty stong. haloce has almost 2000 players, and thats no even including all the versions of halo pc.

AlwinRoth

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 04:31 PM    Msg. 14 of 47       
Haven't played halo ce in about a month, Tomorrow im going to be on Halo ce allll Day.

FlyAwayNow

Triage at Dawn

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 05:33 PM    Msg. 15 of 47       
I dont know im dealing with some bug that turns my use key to Axis#4.

So im stuck with playing Source games. taht I really dont enjoy unless thier modded.

Halo CE will not die anytime soon. If Dennis has a heart attack, and dies, Thats a good dent which leads to crack all over the place.If Gamespy fianlly closes servers thats the end, If Bungie stops producing the original Halo thats a noticeable scartch.

Thing is those are unlikely scenarios.

xsnoder

~xofect~flem~

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 05:39 PM    Msg. 16 of 47       
Thank you all I do have a better understanding now and dennis thank you for your kindness and true love of the game.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 05:40 PM    Msg. 17 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: FlyAwayNow
Halo CE will not die anytime soon. If Dennis has a heart attack, and dies, Thats a good dent which leads to crack all over the place.If Gamespy fianlly closes servers thats the end, If Bungie stops producing the original Halo thats a noticeable scartch.

Thing is those are unlikely scenarios.
one of them is not as unlikely as you might think.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 08:40 PM    Msg. 18 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

That one is probably the most likely one... Which would also mean that we lose how many TBs of data if you drop the site, Dennis?

It probably wouldn't be so bad if someone would figure out how to send map files when people try to join the servers :|

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 09:18 PM    Msg. 19 of 47       

Design doesn't always mean everything, its gameplay that makes a map good. Just because it may look like crap, doesn't mean it does not play good. Look at mine. From a technical design standpoint, they suck. But from what I have heard from most people, they are good to play on.
xsnoder is correct when he says that the only thing people around here seem to care about is how a map looks. Not all of us have the time or patience to master the difficult art of modeling. Maybe some of us only want to do this for fun, without the fear of having someone say "you're map looks like crap," which seems to be the only form of crit that ever comes from most of the people here.

In summary: What happened to this game and community? All the people who learned quickly and what-not became elitists who post one line criticisms that generally contain "you suck," or "your maps suck." And all of these discourage new people from wanting to join in.
Edited by SiMuLaCrUm on Sep 18, 2009 at 11:25 AM
I suck too. I just got over it. If you can't take blunt criticism, make sure to tell me in your original post.
I can rephrase it again: Your maps could possibly have good gameplay, but the visual aspects are not particularly good. I would recommend you watch the plane modeling tutorial by llama master ( http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3628 ) and a cliff tutorial by massacre ( http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3591 ). Using the techniques shown in these videos should improve the visual aspects. Good luck.
Anyway, I was especially cruel today due to the fact that the OP seemed to be a ranting lunatic due to the contents of his post.

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Sep 18, 2009 09:27 PM    Msg. 20 of 47       
ohai guaiz , this thr3d r h4z no contents.
Lock please.

xsnoder

~xofect~flem~

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 03:32 AM    Msg. 21 of 47       
gruntfromhalo - I was a little off this morning with the presentation of my thoughts on poq. I'm sorry that bit you in the ass so hard. get over it ,get on.
Edited by xsnoder on Sep 19, 2009 at 03:35 AM

SiMuLaCrUm

too digital

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 02:36 PM    Msg. 22 of 47       
I suck too. I just got over it. If you can't take blunt criticism, make sure to tell me in your original post.
I can rephrase it again: Your maps could possibly have good gameplay, but the visual aspects are not particularly good. I would recommend you watch the plane modeling tutorial by llama master ( http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3628 ) and a cliff tutorial by massacre ( http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3591 ). Using the techniques shown in these videos should improve the visual aspects. Good luck.
Anyway, I was especially cruel today due to the fact that the OP seemed to be a ranting lunatic due to the contents of his post.

Visual aspect is still not everything...
Blunt criticism is not "you suck at mapping" but rather being very picky and pointing out what you dislike about it.

Donut

I swear I'm not actually dead

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 08:43 PM    Msg. 23 of 47       
what is POQ, kthx

if youre going to complain, then why dont you try to do something about it? right now all youre doing is venting, when you could buy a cheap computer and set it up as a server

Sgt Blaze

still actin' like Two-Bit from the Outsides....

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 08:55 PM    Msg. 24 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

That one is probably the most likely one... Which would also mean that we lose how many TBs of data if you drop the site, Dennis?

It probably wouldn't be so bad if someone would figure out how to send map files when people try to join the servers :|
Will I have a Plan to get it back. in 1 year that is and it will take the help of Bungie [updates...lots of them] and they'll do it because They'll be able to take the fans of a game that won't work on todays PC's and make buy halo PC and GET CE to enjoy the game in Halo CE and also Make RPing and Cops and robbers a common thing.

Donut

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 09:25 PM    Msg. 25 of 47       
blaze youre a bad troll

Donut

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 09:39 PM    Msg. 26 of 47       
whos right? and um, if i have this right, you want to take out some clan that provides people with servers in order to save the game? alright you have fun with that

F34RL3SS

FPCT Leader

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 10:02 PM    Msg. 27 of 47       
Is it really hard just to either HaloBoom them or unleash a DDoS attack on their servers? Really. They can't stop you at all, so go ahead.

I've done DDoS's before so if you find the right tools, you're good. And don't expect me to explain how to, because I'm not going to.

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 10:03 PM    Msg. 28 of 47       

gruntfromhalo - I was a little off this morning with the presentation of my thoughts on poq. I'm sorry that bit you in the ass so hard. get over it ,get on.
Edited by xsnoder on Sep 19, 2009 at 03:35 AM
LoL.
Blunt criticism is not "you suck at mapping" but rather being very picky and pointing out what you dislike about it.
Yea, that was just me trolling.
Quote: --- Original message by: F34RL3SS
Is it really hard just to either HaloBoom them or unleash a DDoS attack on their servers? Really. They can't stop you at all, so go ahead.

I've done DDoS's before so if you find the right tools, you're good. And don't expect me to explain how to, because I'm not going to.
nb4FBI
Edited by gruntfromhalo on Sep 19, 2009 at 10:05 PM

Donut

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 10:07 PM    Msg. 29 of 47       
ok so is it ACTUALLY a server whose purpose is to see whos the best aimbotter or did you just have a bad experience with it?

gruntfromhalo

actual loli

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 10:20 PM    Msg. 30 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Donut
ok so is it ACTUALLY a server whose purpose is to see whos the best aimbotter or did you just have a bad experience with it?
He just had a bad experience I am pretty sure. I've played POQ servers when 3+ POQ clan members are in, and it was just fine.

Scott

No.

Posted: Sep 19, 2009 10:40 PM    Msg. 31 of 47       
This thread is full of laughs.

xsnoder

~xofect~flem~

Posted: Sep 20, 2009 01:10 AM    Msg. 32 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: Donut
He just had a bad experience I am pretty sure. I've played POQ servers when 3+ POQ clan members are in, and it was just fine.

I have had nothing but troubles with poq. my thoughts words and actions are vendicated. I do have a dedi it is LCplSemperFi clan@xfire. We just bought a new home and still waiting for my buissnes synce for the server (will be ready next week) Hell the poq clan was my main motivation for doing something different making maps, the server ect. I have taken the steps to help change it up because I know im not the only one who feel's this way,. poq members get one thing from me and our clan and thats a hurt locker
SemperFi
Edited by xsnoder on Sep 20, 2009 at 01:15 AM

OrangeJuice

Still here because their site isn't active either

Posted: Sep 20, 2009 01:31 PM    Msg. 33 of 47       
This game has always sucked, The reason that most people didn't leave a long time ago is because it is addictive.

AlwinRoth

Posted: Sep 20, 2009 02:51 PM    Msg. 34 of 47       
This game doesn't suck, and it's not addictive.

I usually stick to the TG servers since they're one of the few servers that plays some good maps, realworldce does that too, except they have a crap load of maps to download.

Donut

Posted: Sep 20, 2009 09:33 PM    Msg. 35 of 47       
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
This game has always sucked, The reason that most people didn't leave a long time ago is because it is addictive.

the reason most people didnt leave is because the people who are still here are good. its a classic game that the oldies love to play.

idea: people play other games. i just picked up fable 2 last week and i havent touched a pc game since.

Page 1 of 2 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun July 5, 2020 2:21 AM 359 ms.
A Halo Maps Website