A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »did the guy who made Mud_skirmish rip Cmt tags?

Page 3 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · Prev
Author Topic: did the guy who made Mud_skirmish rip Cmt tags? (98 messages, Page 3 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Donut

I swear I'm not actually dead

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 05:06 PM    Msg. 71 of 98       
the argument has been had many times. what you suggested is not a solution.

Dark

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 05:55 PM    Msg. 72 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dratt
Everyone has different views so there will never be a solution, ever...

NEVER!!!!!!!!!

anonymous_2009

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 06:15 PM    Msg. 73 of 98       
Why would Dennis's view solve things?

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 06:28 PM    Msg. 74 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: Donut
you are starting a semantics argument by taking the term "perfect" literally. its as if you didnt read a single thing arteen posted or use an ounce of logical reasoning. cmt is making a mod of the campaign, that mod being one of the most anticipated halo mod ever. i would think that they want it to be as good as they can get it, right? who better to test it out than the community who will be playing it? its called a public beta for a reason. they released a beta so they could get input from the community on ways to improve their highly anticipated mod. obviously their stuff wont be "perfect" unless they test it out.

I like how you want me to change the definition of perfect. Don't use that word if you don't mean it.

as far as ripping said tags, in the event they ever decide to release any of their tags (which they HAVE done before), why would you want incomplete and unbalanced tags? people who rip the cmt beta tags are just going to have old versions of the stuff that will be released in the final. if you count the stuff from earlier cmt maps, we would have 5 different cmt tagsets floating around. now how confusing is that?

I'm sure they'll release the tags eventually, but some people may want the tags now. It's not like CMT is the only one with the HEK, the rippers can finish the tags, too. I mean, that's what the people supporting protection want, right? Rippers to actually do some work?

CorruptedHalo

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 06:28 PM    Msg. 75 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: CorruptedHalo
this topic is all tl;dr
and the same arguments are thrown up in each new post except longer.
Seriously people, protect it if you want to, or don't. Rip if you want to, or don't. But please, for the love of all that is sacred, don't waster Dennis's bandwidth over it.

Donut

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 06:36 PM    Msg. 76 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: RougeSpartan414
you are starting a semantics argument by taking the term "perfect" literally. its as if you didnt read a single thing arteen posted or use an ounce of logical reasoning. cmt is making a mod of the campaign, that mod being one of the most anticipated halo mod ever. i would think that they want it to be as good as they can get it, right? who better to test it out than the community who will be playing it? its called a public beta for a reason. they released a beta so they could get input from the community on ways to improve their highly anticipated mod. obviously their stuff wont be "perfect" unless they test it out.

I like how you want me to change the definition of perfect. Don't use that word if you don't mean it.

as far as ripping said tags, in the event they ever decide to release any of their tags (which they HAVE done before), why would you want incomplete and unbalanced tags? people who rip the cmt beta tags are just going to have old versions of the stuff that will be released in the final. if you count the stuff from earlier cmt maps, we would have 5 different cmt tagsets floating around. now how confusing is that?

I'm sure they'll release the tags eventually, but some people may want the tags now. It's not like CMT is the only one with the HEK, the rippers can finish the tags, too. I mean, that's what the people supporting protection want, right? Rippers to actually do some work?

and your argument is full of holes. rippers dont do any work. thats why they rip. instant gratification. they have their tags, they dont care if theres a problem. they put them in the map and release it thinking that cmt's tags make their map worth playing. they dont. you want evidence? find me a map with ripped tags that actually looks like thought went into it. also keep track of how many bad maps with ripped tags in them you come across in the search process.

as far as the term perfect goes, if nothing is perfect (as you say) then the term "perfect" shouldnt even exist. dont start that whole "but he said perfect so he must mean they are absolutely flawless" thing. i said dont take something like that literally. you and i both know that that is a stupid way to fill your post, and all it is doing is distracting from the topic at hand. stop this argument now.

E: and by "rippers" im assuming we are referring to those who rip tags and place them directly in other maps, instead of learning purposes or incorporating a ripped asset into their own project.
Edited by Donut on Sep 30, 2009 at 06:37 PM

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 06:39 PM    Msg. 77 of 98       
Rippers actually have to tag what they rip. The only difference is, HaloCERipper didn't do any of that. He just ripped it from an unprotected leak of a10.

Donut

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 06:41 PM    Msg. 78 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
Rippers actually have to tag what they rip. The only difference is, HaloCERipper didn't do any of that. He just ripped it from an unprotected leak of a10.

again, im not seeing any concrete definition of the term "ripper" in here, so i guess at this point we are using it to refer to anyone who extracts assets from elsewhere.

K_I_D

If you are cool, this will be your avatar quote.

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 07:47 PM    Msg. 79 of 98       
If it gets leaked, oh well. How bout that.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 07:54 PM    Msg. 80 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927

again, im not seeing any concrete definition of the term "ripper" in here, so i guess at this point we are using it to refer to anyone who extracts assets from elsewhere.

I'm referring to those who extract from protected maps.

Marka Haiyana

w0rt

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 08:31 PM    Msg. 81 of 98       
Ripping is going to happen in any modding community. Source and Unreal, anybody can take your content and modify it if they want to. Got a nice model in-game? Got a sweet-ass texture? Well, if anyone wants, they can go right ahead and do whatever they want with it.

HaloCE ripper is here to stay. He's not doing anything illegal, and chances are the more and more anybody complains about him tarnishing people's hard work, the more and more likely he's going to find that person's map and leak the crap out of it. Which, to be honest, is something I can understand. People try to make outstanding maps so they can get recognition, and get so butthurt over other people ripping their stuff and stealing their credit it's ridiculous. People need to not be so far up on their high horse.

Ripping from Halo 3 is illegal, regardless of who it is. I don't care if it's ZTeam or anybody else. Yes, ZTeam may have good programming skills, but that doesn't make what they're doing any less of a crime than people ripping from the beta and slapping it into Halo CE with crappy textures and animations.

It states it in the EULA and the Rules of Content Usage.

The rules of content usage state:
"You canít reverse engineer our games to access the assets or otherwise do things that the games donít normally permit in order to create your Items."

Source:
http://www.xbox.com/en-us/community/developer/rules.htm

Nobody seems to understand the actuality behind this. There's NOTHING ANYBODY CAN DO if people rip from CE maps. People are GOING to rip. You don't like it, you have two choices. Either adapt or don't make maps. Or, you could always go mod another game... OH WAIT they're all open source anyway, you'd all freak out even more over it.
Edited by Marka Haiyana on Sep 30, 2009 at 08:38 PM

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 08:41 PM    Msg. 82 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: Marka Haiyana
Go mod another game... OH WAIT they're all open source to begin with.
LOL, almost verbatim of what I have been saying for the past 4 years. This is the perspective that the Halo CE community lacks because few have worked with other, larger, games.

You canít own this stuff: Period. You can spend half your life and all your money making something for the game but in the end it is NOT YOURS no matter what you think. This is just the way it is.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 08:52 PM    Msg. 83 of 98       
ITT: people complain about protection
Idoits: WE MADE THE TAGS N THE BITMAPS THERE ALL OURS AND WE DONT WANT TO RELEASE BECUSE DEN NOOOOBS WILL PUT THEM IN BLOODGULCH, DERP DERP DERP AND THUS LOWER THE QUALITY OF OUT TAGS AND MAKE PEOPLE STOP STOKING OUR E-PEEN

Not idoits: Mooks EDIT: dennis too

tl;dr if you protect, you deserve your own cock down your neck.
Edited by CLS_GRUNT on Sep 30, 2009 at 08:53 PM

Marka Haiyana

w0rt

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 09:08 PM    Msg. 84 of 98       
Honestly I can understand people not wanting their hard work tarnished but people have to understand that if they mod Halo, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO WANT TO RIP, so don't be shocked if your precious tags get unprotected somehow. Consider it a warning, nothing is sacred, especially not on the internet.
Edited by Marka Haiyana on Sep 30, 2009 at 09:09 PM

CorruptedHalo

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 09:14 PM    Msg. 85 of 98       
Why can't we all be friends?

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 09:20 PM    Msg. 86 of 98       
Because people are morons.

Marka Haiyana

w0rt

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 09:35 PM    Msg. 87 of 98       
I'd rather not be friends with people who base their opinions on their own selfish desires than face the facts about what may or may not happen to their stuff once they put it through tool.

What I don't understand is the lack of common courtesy around here. All I've seen is flaming. Flaming people who are new and don't know what to do, flaming of people who have ideas for singleplayer maps.

Here's a random fun fact:
I joined the UT3 forums, asking about learning scripting for a Halo to UT3 project I'm working on which will implement new features such as reloading, auto-aim, zooming, grenades, and melees, and a totally random guy who's in college takes it upon himself to teach me the basics. For SEVEN PAGES so far. He's already been working on grenade scripts, and is going to teach me exactly what he did to make them, and how to understand it better.

I have NEVER seen that kind of patience and understanding here.
Edited by Marka Haiyana on Sep 30, 2009 at 09:36 PM

K_I_D

If you are cool, this will be your avatar quote.

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 09:48 PM    Msg. 88 of 98       
Yea, alot of people here suck. No, All people here suck.

Dennis

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 11:54 PM    Msg. 89 of 98       
a totally random guy who's in college
This the key difference and why it is like herding kittens here.

Dennis

Posted: Sep 30, 2009 11:55 PM    Msg. 90 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: K_I_D
No, All people here suck.
Only after an exhale or else they'd expire.

Azrooh

Bleh.

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 08:02 PM    Msg. 91 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

One key difference: The kittens you are herding are not cute, cuddly, nor furry. More angsty.

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 08:11 PM    Msg. 92 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis

You're implying that kittens never went to college?
Oh , and moderator doubleposting =D
Edited by Cocaine on Oct 2, 2009 at 08:13 PM

Marka Haiyana

w0rt

Posted: Oct 2, 2009 09:29 PM    Msg. 93 of 98       
Quote:
One key difference: The kittens you are herding are not cute, cuddly, nor furry.

you may never know.

Donut

Posted: Oct 3, 2009 12:05 AM    Msg. 94 of 98       
Here's a random fun fact:
I joined the UT3 forums, asking about learning scripting for a Halo to UT3 project I'm working on which will implement new features such as reloading, auto-aim, zooming, grenades, and melees, and a totally random guy who's in college takes it upon himself to teach me the basics. For SEVEN PAGES so far. He's already been working on grenade scripts, and is going to teach me exactly what he did to make them, and how to understand it better.

I have NEVER seen that kind of patience and understanding here.

if only we had that here. i dont think iv ever seen somebody patient enough to follow that much either

9killerprime

Bwuahahahaahahha I am the Bastroyer! Muahahahahaha

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 08:48 PM    Msg. 95 of 98       
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm gone for 3 days to go to a Notre Dame game and the forums go nuts what have you guys become!

Corvette19

Posted: Oct 4, 2009 09:24 PM    Msg. 96 of 98       
Quote: --- Original message by: 9killerprime
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm gone for 3 days to go to a Notre Dame game and the forums go nuts what have you guys become!

Welcome to Halomaps forums.

In my personal opinion, personally, remember this is MY personal opinion. I think things should be open sourced. Why? Because you can help the community out. Give people things to experiment with. Sure, not everyone will use everything you made for what you intended it for, but we don't have a perfect world and you won't find that anywhere else. Even though I think things should be open sourced, I do believe that the person who actually made the tags should have the final say in what people do with them. I do believe that Bungie/Microsoft put that legal thing in the EULA to keep tag stealing and whatnot out of legal matters, and prevent so much stuff from happening and would just be easier to say "You put it through tool, then it's ours." Rather than let people send each other to jail for a game.

I also believe people shouldn't use that legal statement thing as an excuse to rip. I mean come on people walk a mile in someones shoes, or in this case a few miles. Some of these people really do spend a lot of time for this game. Wouldn't you be mad if you spent a long time on something for a group of people, then all of those people just screw up everything that you intended it to be used for? I know I would. These are just my thoughts though :P

Nomatik

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 02:50 PM    Msg. 97 of 98       
i was thinking about this im going to need to use other peoples tags to accomplish my goal, the problem is half the time i dont know who to credit, i mean if they are leaked the uploader aint getting credit so...how do you ever know who to credit unless it says it in the tag desc.

hjm65

Oyashiro-sama is going to get you

Posted: Oct 7, 2009 03:08 PM    Msg. 98 of 98       
Man i need to get CE back i'm missing out on all the good maps,hehe.
Edited by hjm65 on Oct 7, 2009 at 03:08 PM

Page 3 of 3 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri February 28, 2020 4:01 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website