A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Yoyorast Island V2 Movie/Trailer Contest ! 250$ to win !

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev
Author Topic: Yoyorast Island V2 Movie/Trailer Contest ! 250$ to win ! (43 messages, Page 2 of 2)
Moderators: Dennis

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 20, 2009 09:16 PM    Msg. 36 of 43       
I'm just sayin'

That's all.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 11:58 AM    Msg. 37 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vern125
Hey Dennis, have you thought about having more advertisement on your website that can help with the expenses?

I already have more advertizing on the website than I am comfortable with. Any more would impede the userís ability to download files.

Quote: --- Original message by: Scott
If money becomes a problem, there are TONS of way dennis can make extra revenue off a high bandwidth site like this one.
Not with this demographic there isn't. The majority of users of this website are not yet part of the prime buying public and few have control over the disposable income of their household. Meaning they need their parents to make credit card or on-line purchases for them.

Also the website is an end point website meaning the users are here because this is the end of their search. They have no need to look further so they donít have a need to click through an advertisement when they get here because this is the end of their search and what they want is here: The maps.

These sites generates a large amount of traffic, ten to fifteen million advertizing page views a month, but the relative click through rate and earnings per advertizing page view is very, very small in comparison to other websites. We have a business listing web site that gets much, much less traffic by a magnitude but it generates more per page view by a hundredfold than the combined Halomaps.org websites do because it is a waypoint site where people come to search for what they actually need.

UXB Internet will continue funding the websites and we do not require people to donate but will accept and appreciate any donation offered.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 01:40 PM    Msg. 38 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
They have no need to look further so they donít have a need to click through an advertisement when they get here because this is the end of their search and what they want is here: The maps.

That is really interesting, actually. I bet there's some good theory on this kind of thing somewhere. Everyone's here so they don't want anything else...

These sites generates a large amount of traffic, ten to fifteen million advertizing page views a month, but the relative click through rate and earnings per advertizing page view is very, very small in comparison to other websites. We have a business listing web site that gets much, much less traffic by a magnitude but it generates more per page view by a hundredfold than the combined Halomaps.org websites do because it is a waypoint site where people come to search for what they actually need.

Under that, what is a waypoint website? Is it one of those replacement websites that try to give you links based on the name of the thing you're searching for? Or is it a website where people go to to find things they need, and people/companies advertise their products/services?

UXB Internet will continue funding the websites and we do not require people to donate but will accept and appreciate any donation offered.

I would donate, but I don't have enough money... yet

Anyways, a few more things that were quite funny to me, was your rant on people uploading leaked maps.

And second: Is that test rig at: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=348 still the one you use?

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.Ē ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 02:52 PM    Msg. 39 of 43       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
Under that, what is a waypoint website?
A waypoint website is one that allows people to find the actual services or products they are looking for: Such as Google or Yahoo or Bing.

If someone is looking for a plumber or electrician or wants to purchase some product for their home or car the waypoint website like our local Business listing website is a place where they can find the actual products or services they are looking for. It is not the final destination where they buy or order the product or service. Halo Maps, however, is the final destination for Halo CE maps. Advertizing on a waypoint or "search" website is more profitable because the general user is looking for something that is not actually at the website. That is why Google and other search or index providers are profitable.

Anyways, a few more things that were quite funny to me, was your rant on people uploading leaked maps.

People need to be responsible for their actions and our policy on "leaked" or unreleased maps forces them to be more vigilant as to who they give them too.
And second: Is that test rig at: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?nid=348 still the one you use?
Yes it is. I use a different PC for gaming but that one is the one we use to test the maps for Halo CE.

yoyorast

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 06:45 PM    Msg. 40 of 43       
Hey guys, I've been a little off lastly cause I had to send my macpro and have no comp left til i get my new imac i7 mid november... Also remind everybody involved or those not yet in the contest that there's still time til the 29th to make your movie and post on youtube...
I m still thinking if there'll be like a jury voting for the best movie or if i stick with the public poll..

Get to work and good luck!

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Nov 12, 2009 06:56 PM    Msg. 41 of 43       

Advertizing on a waypoint or "search" website is more profitable because the general user is looking for something that is not actually at the website. That is why Google and other search or index providers are profitable.

Oh okay neat.
Yes it is. I use a different PC for gaming but that one is the one we use to test the maps for Halo CE.

Running that on some of the big maps can probably get pretty painful some times. ;)

I would also like to know, Dennis, if that was the rig you were testing Open Sauce on?
Edited by Dwood on Nov 12, 2009 at 06:57 PM

Oh and hey thanks YoYoRast I'll let ppl know the contest is still going on. ;)
Edited by Dwood on Nov 12, 2009 at 06:58 PM

yoyorast

Posted: Nov 18, 2009 12:13 PM    Msg. 42 of 43       
Thanks dwood!
K guys, just a quick post to remind you there's like 10 days left before the submissions are closed, you still have the time to enter the competition ;) good luck!

Marka Haiyana

w0rt

Posted: Nov 28, 2009 12:38 AM    Msg. 43 of 43       

Page 2 of 2 Go to page: · 1 · [2] · Prev

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Tue October 15, 2019 11:51 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website