A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Download going very slowely

Author Topic: Download going very slowely (4 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

James1503

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 08:46 PM    Msg. 1 of 4       
I just got CE and have downloaded a few maps thus far. They were downloading at the normal pace for my connection but now there going so slow. I downloaded yoyorast's island in about 5 minutes and its now taking about 15-20 minutes to download the build of ascension from H2 which is a smaller map. I checked my connection on speedtest.net and its showing my normal download speed. Anyone now what the problem could be?

Matooba

Crust on Halomaps! :)

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 09:06 PM    Msg. 2 of 4       
If you experience slow downloads, it could be for many reasons. However, they can be different when you experience slow download speed from certain places or when you get slow speeds downloading.
Slow downloads

This can happen for the following reasons :

•The upload bandwidth of the person(s) you're downloading from is maxed out. Don't pay attention to the value of the Connection speed, it's completely subjective and often is not a true reflection of your connection type since the website has control over your down speed.

•The site you're downloading from is too far from you (maybe in another continent) and there's too many hops in the connection between you and your download. Its also possible that your ISP provider has limited overseas bandwith available.

•The person who you are downloading from is using a bandwidth limiter. There are two types: client based and third-party program.
•Often the clients with limiting capability have set download and upload speed ratios in place to avoid abuse. (ex. If the upload speed limit is set below 6 KiB/s, then the client will restrict the client download speed to a 2:1 ratio). This varies from client to client and obviously not all support upload limiting. This type of speed limiting only restricts the uploading of files, including user lists. It does not limit chat, private messages, or searches.
•Websites could also be using a third-party program to limit the speed of traffic. This type of speed limiting is absolute; it will limit the speed of all traffic by the user, which can include file transferss. Since this type of application does not enforce a download speed:upload speed ratio, it may be more prone to abuse. For particularly slow transfers - 1 KiB/s or slower, it may be to blame.

Solutions :

•Try to find sources from search results
•Shut down some stuff on your computer your not using. This can effect your speed greatly.

James1503

Posted: Oct 21, 2009 09:20 PM    Msg. 3 of 4       
Ok well now its downloading fine again. I suppose it was just that map or something or just too many people were downloading at the same time.

Dennis

"We are made of starstuff.” ― Carl Sagan

Posted: Oct 27, 2009 09:15 PM    Msg. 4 of 4       
Quote: --- Original message by: James1503
Ok well now its downloading fine again. I suppose it was just that map or something or just too many people were downloading at the same time.
You can always tell how many people are downloading by reading the text just above the red download icon.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun August 9, 2020 10:00 PM 93 ms.
A Halo Maps Website