A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Advice on AI encounters ...

Author Topic: Advice on AI encounters ... (16 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Oct 23, 2009 11:51 PM    Msg. 1 of 16       
I got bored of doing MP and messing with other things so I thought I'll give SP/AI a try:

What do you think makes good AI encounters? For example, how would you choose or design an area or map for a good/fun encounter? Should you put AI in vechicles (hogs,wraiths,ghosts[probably not banshees],etc.) assuming the map/area for the encounter large enough? or how big should an area be before you add vechicles to it? Also, how could I balance out fighting between AI and still keep the map fun for the player? So, also if you don't mind if you could please give an example of a map which you think the encounters are well done or fun.

~Feel free to mention anything else helpful
e1:typo'd
Edited by SegwayMaster1324 on Oct 23, 2009 at 11:59 PM

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Oct 24, 2009 12:11 AM    Msg. 2 of 16       
Good use of firing positions and AI migration.

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Oct 24, 2009 12:32 AM    Msg. 3 of 16       
The AI encounter must be balanced. I don't care about anything else at this point, but it must be realistic and balanced so the player can beat it easily.

Next, firing positions must be strategically placed, AI must not be sloppily done, in a sense the starting and return states should be set to what is best suited for the situation, and the Firing position groups as well.

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 05:29 PM    Msg. 4 of 16       
start out with a medium sized conflict, drive a hog through an area with foot soldiers and a few vehicles here and there,move into some close quarters fighting maybe to open a door or deactivate a field,link up with some vehicles and lead a convoy through the map fighting things like shadows and banshees, move through a small area vehicles can't make through,than you and your troops fight an epic battle against things like wraiths,ghosts,a turret or two, and banshees hammering down fire from above (the player recieves a heavy weapon at this point).After that, you find an overturned flying vehicle (banshee,hornet,hawk,etc.) and fights a dogfight high above the ground while flying towards your destination (some air support from allies would be helpful at this point) and once you land, fight some powerful enemies and kill their commander (who isn't at all a pushover).

that's a perfect set of ai encounters imo.

chutoy54

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 06:22 PM    Msg. 5 of 16       
if your going to make some sort of mp ai, make sure the ai spawns far away from the actual fighting area, or else you'll have like a grunt spawn right after you just killed one

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 08:35 PM    Msg. 6 of 16       
Deli, that sounds like b40/c40-ish styled encounter(s) (which decent levels imo), but I'm pretty sure your allies (I'm assuming marines) would get bluchered pretty quick unless they had some decent support. Also, I don't think there's any balanced/decent way have marine air support unless I attach AI gunner turrets to a pelican and have it fly through/over an area/encounter or drop off allies and fire at enemies at the same time.

Anyways, any advice on how encounters on how vehicles in encounters should be set up? or should I just do the same as with ground troops with Gamma's & Polamee's advice?

Also, is it possible to place marines in tanks? (might just stick to spartans though ...)

Gamma927

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 08:43 PM    Msg. 7 of 16       
Marines don't have animations to enter the tank, but you can either change the vehicle label on the tank for the marines to get in, or duplicate the warthog driver animation, and rename the duplicate the same as the tank's.

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 08:55 PM    Msg. 8 of 16       
Sre you asking this in a exploratory fashion or do you intend to make a SP level at some point?

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 09:00 PM    Msg. 9 of 16       
Both, I'm just curious. Basicly for me there's two ways of learning things with CE: experiment with crap until I break something or ask questions. I learn most things by exploring things or reverse engineering.

e: Also, tools like HEK or even the HCEtripper thing can be useful in reserse engineering content. For example I from looking at Matooba's RL hog, which can fire RL out of the sides of the hog, I could make another hog that launches heathpacks (whcih I believe Hunter/Martyn Lee Ball is working on or something simliar.

Edited by SegwayMaster1324 on Oct 25, 2009 at 09:08 PM

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 09:07 PM    Msg. 10 of 16       
Takes alot of patience to learn this way but it is indeed the best pathway. Do you have xfire?

Headhunter09

This is the truth.

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 09:12 PM    Msg. 11 of 16       
On the subject of Pelican air support, would it be possible to set it up using platoons, so that when the ground forces are pushed back a pelican is awoke and runs a command list, flying over the area? The pelican would have AI gunners attached, who would strafe the area with machine gun fire and maybe lob a few explosives.

Would it also be possible then to have a second pelican to provide support on player triggers, such as reaching a certain area, on call from a weapon, or placing a beacon of sorts?

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 09:15 PM    Msg. 12 of 16       
Beacons, I guess so under some conditions. If the beacon is something created by a weapon, then the script can simply read if ''beacon'' created in trigger vol A2 then pelican goes to A2 for 30 seconds and then leaves. would need each zone to be customized tho( A1, A3, A4, A5)

Gamma927

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 09:17 PM    Msg. 13 of 16       
Yes. Use a static void or a dormant that controls the pelican, and wake / run the dormant / static void when a trigger volume is entered, or whatever other trigger you have.

Delicon20

Still here. Still loves bacon

Posted: Oct 25, 2009 09:17 PM    Msg. 14 of 16       
Quote: --- Original message by: SegwayMaster1324
Deli, that sounds like b40/c40-ish styled encounter(s) (which decent levels imo), but I'm pretty sure your allies (I'm assuming marines) would get bluchered pretty quick unless they had some decent support. Also, I don't think there's any balanced/decent way have marine air support unless I attach AI gunner turrets to a pelican and have it fly through/over an area/encounter or drop off allies and fire at enemies at the same time.

Anyways, any advice on how encounters on how vehicles in encounters should be set up? or should I just do the same as with ground troops with Gamma's & Polamee's advice?

Also, is it possible to place marines in tanks? (might just stick to spartans though ...)

if you're a relatively good player,you'd only need destractive surpressive fire for about a second so you can take cover,which is basically what they'd be good at.

SegwayMaster1324

Posted: Oct 27, 2009 10:02 PM    Msg. 15 of 16       
Had another question about ai ...
Is it possible to have an AI drop or spawn a weapon or object (e.g the beacon) when killed?
Also about the beacon,has anyone has gone as for as to have an idea for what it would look like? I think something like a PDA or blackberry type thing would fail ...

Gamma927

Posted: Oct 27, 2009 10:20 PM    Msg. 16 of 16       
Set it to spawn in a death effect.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri October 18, 2019 11:17 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website