A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Weird Issue with Halo

Author Topic: Weird Issue with Halo (9 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Alley Cat

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 05:30 AM    Msg. 1 of 9       
2 weeks ago, Halo CE started to develop graphic glitches and it freezes.

Video Adapter: Radeon X800 CrossFire Edition (ATI Radeon X800 XL)

Did my Graphics Card fail ? In Device Manager it appears to be fine and I can test it successfully. I am not overclocking, my computer is stock, I did not modify software or BIOS settings.

I attempted to rule out software problems. I uninstalled DirectX and the ATI drivers, rebooted, reinstalled ATI drivers, DirectX will not reinstall. I rebooted again. Now I cannot play 3d games, they wanted DirectX.

DirectX reinstall had an error, DXDiag could not identify my version of DirectX. I did a system restore, back to factory settings (Windows XP SP2 files)

I again updated to .NET Framework 2.0, a requirement for ATI Radeon Catalyst. My strange graphics problem still occur, although less than before. I run SpeedFan to force my CPU fan and the Fan at the back of my tower to run at 90% speed and I spend an hour blasting dust out of the Graphics Card and the inside of my computer tower.

Attached is screenshots of the weird Artifacts that Halo develop after playing for a few minutes.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/alleycat1982/halo1.jpg

Bloody Jabs

It's been 4 years...

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 11:31 AM    Msg. 2 of 9       
Take a screenshot pic of your video settings in Halo, maybe your video card can't support something properly.
Edited by Bloody Jabs on Oct 31, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Alley Cat

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 05:45 PM    Msg. 3 of 9       
Halo and Team Fortress 2 has these issues, but Perfect World and COnquer Online, does not work these things.

I have been playing Halo on the same settings for over 8 months. The strange behaviour, never happened before, I even lowered the video settings, no change.
Edited by Alley Cat on Oct 31, 2009 at 05:53 PM

Advancebo

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 06:00 PM    Msg. 4 of 9       
I believe that might be a corrupted sky bitmap.

Bloody Jabs

It's been 4 years...

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 06:01 PM    Msg. 5 of 9       
Yeah it might, does it always happen on sidewinder or certain maps only, or all the time?

Mysterion

Nice shot, but too bad your @$$ just got SACKED!!!

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 07:55 PM    Msg. 6 of 9       
Have you tried system restore to the point before this behavior began? You might even consider an repair reinstall of Windows XP...just be ready to input the key for your XP operating system.

Alley Cat

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 08:58 AM    Msg. 7 of 9       
System Restore NEVER works for me, after I attempt to restore, Windows notifies me that no changes has been made. I tried recent dates, and I tried using a restore point from 2 months now.

I ended resetting to factory OEM files, Windows XP SP2, then I started to update Windows, ATI drivers and DirectX.

When Halo and Team Fortress acts up, the focus is lost, my computer automatically goes back to the desktop, Halo or Team Fortress still running, I have to click on it again to regain focus, to continue playing my games.

In Halo, the glitchy artifacts always seen to affect only the skybox, this does not happen in indoor levels with a roof, like HANG 'EM HIGH. I reinstalled Halo as well.

When Halo went crazy on me, it used to alert me to VPU (Graphics Card CPU) has stopped responding, click to Restart computer, NO to run on Software mode.

In TF2, the glitchy artifacts is everywhere, in the fonts, walls, dialog boxes, sky box and even view of field gets messed up. Since I restored to OEM, the View of Field no longer goes crazy on me.

Edited by Alley Cat on Nov 1, 2009 at 08:59 AM
Edited by Alley Cat on Nov 1, 2009 at 09:03 AM

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 09:45 PM    Msg. 8 of 9       
If what you said about whatever you did to try fixing this problem is true, then you have more or less ruled out any software problem with the graphics on your computer.
Its seems more like a hardware problem now.

i have a feeling your graphics card is spoilt, or its fan may be damaged.
get a new graphics card, and a good fan for it.

pwner5889

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 09:51 PM    Msg. 9 of 9       
COMPLETELY reinstall xp, and upgrade your drivers. Redownload halo ce. If that doesnt do anything. Upgrade to windows 7. lol
Edited by pwner5889 on Nov 1, 2009 at 09:53 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Fri May 29, 2020 3:50 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website