A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Arms Race (WIP map)

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Topic: Arms Race (WIP map) (108 messages, Page 1 of 4)
Moderators: Dennis

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 02:21 AM    Msg. 1 of 108       
Go ahead and flame me for creating a topic for a map I've barely started on. I'm not listening. This is to notify you of the concept and gain critiscm from that.

Arms Race will be a SinglePlayer map that is set on Snowtorn Cove (or until I can find a better BSP).

Plot outline:

The year is 2535. The Covenant have uncovered a forerunner relic underneath a human colonised world just as they were just about to glass the planet. Believing the structure to be of great importance, the Prophet of Regret has arrived on the planet to examine their find. You play as a Spartan that is sent on a high-risk op to investigate the Covenant's activities, then discover that the Covenant theorise this is a forerunner weapons testing facility. Soon, the UNSC and Covenant are in an arms race, trying to claim the technology first.

The map will feature a complex, but simple to understand, storyline and special player abilities.

Characters and Vehicles:

UNSC

Spartan 036 (as player)
Marines (MA5C, Shotgun, SMG, Sniper Rifle)
ODST (MA5C, SMG, Sniper Rifle)

Warthog (standard, gauss)
Scorpion Tank (considering removal)
Pelican Dropship
Longsword fighter craft (in airstrikes only)

Covenant

Prophet of Regret (only in cutscenes and announcements, never seen or fought ingame. Seated on gravity chair.)

Grunt Minors (Yellow - Carry plasma pistols or needlers)
Grunt Majors (Crimson - Carry plasma pistols or needlers)
Grunt Heavys (Green - Carry fuel rod guns and man turrets)
Grunt SpecOps (Black - Carry needlers. May occasionally engage active camoflauge)
Grunt Ultra (Pearl White- Carry Needlers)
Grunt Suicide (Purple with modified methane pack designed to detonate on command)

Jackal Minors and Majors (carry Plasma Pistols or needlers)
Jackal Snipers (No shield - Carry Covenant Carbines or Beam Rifles)

Elite Minor and Major (Blue and red respectively - Carry Plasma Rifles, Needlers, Plasma Pistols and Carbines)
Elite SpecOps (Black - Carry Plasma Rifles and Energy Swords, occasionally dual wielding swords)
Elite Ultra (White - Carry Plasma Rifles, though they drop them and take out Energy Swords when berserking, occasionally dual wielding swords)
Elite Zealot (Gold - Carry Plasma Rifles, though they drop them and take out Energy Swords when berserking)
Elite Honor Guard (Red with extra armor - Carry Plasma Rifles and Energy Swords)
Elite Ranger (Blue with jetpack - Carry Dual Plasma Rifles)
Elite Stealth (Tan - Carry Plasma Rifles and Energy Swords)

Hunters (Use Assault Cannons)

Ghost support/scouting vehicle (driven by Elites and Heavys Grunts)
Banshee (driven by Elites)
Shielded Wraith Tank (driven by Elites)
Shadow Transport vehicle (considering removal)
Spectre (considering removal)
Spirit DX class dropship
Seraph-Class Starfighter (considering removal, appears in Covenant airstrike)
Shade Turret
Deployable turrets (considering removal)

Special Features

These will be implemented if I can find a pause menu creator (please suggest additional features):

-Checkpoint creation on demand
-Via scripts, the player will have 12 "resources" to start with. At the expense of one resource, the player can summon either a Longsword airstrike or an ODST drop (3 ODSTs in each drop) in his current area. This can only happen outdoors; scripts are up and running for a test. Also, a resource can be used to activate a 25 second camo cloak to sneak behind or away from enemies.

The map will also feature difficulty-dependent encounters. For example, on Normal, there will be only a single Zealot in the map, while on Legendary multiple Zealots will be encountered. There will also be an interesting bonus legendary ending cutscene.

The map will also feature improved AI. Marines will make good use cover and will use automatic fire on whatever weapons they have to take enemies by surprise. Elites and Jackals wielding Carbines will stay back and provide their allies with covering higher from a high position. Stealth Elites will be, well, stealthy, using cover, grenades, and surprise attacks. High ranking Elites will also drop their Plasma Rifles and activate Energy Swords when berserking.

I plan to implement a special feature so that when you press the flashlight, a navigational hint will appear. Plus, I'm not using barriers, they look cluttered. Instead, if you wander off to places where you're not supposed to go, a message will tell you to return to your area in 5 seconds or you will die.

Edited by Polamee on Dec 11, 2009 at 01:16 AM
Edited by Polamee on Dec 13, 2009 at 09:08 AM
Edited by Polamee on Dec 28, 2009 at 09:27 AM
Edited by Polamee on Feb 10, 2010 at 06:07 AM

SwordMa5ster

Come get some!!!

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 05:33 PM    Msg. 2 of 108       
I like the idea of airstrikes and ODST drops it kind of makes me think of what Halo Wars could have been if it were from first person view.

POQBrute

Bruteslayer

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 05:53 PM    Msg. 3 of 108       
This is a great Idea Polamee. I like the idea of making an earlier type deal of the war, and actually putting in the kind of tactics used in halo 2 ( the dropping and sword) it will be great gameplay.. I would like to help.. But I'm not sure what i can do to help seeing i don't know my way around map making and such :/

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 06:11 PM    Msg. 4 of 108       
Sounds nice. You've been really busy, haven't you?

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 06:36 PM    Msg. 5 of 108       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xel
is it a part of the MP2SP Projects? :O

PX173

It was worth it.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 06:36 PM    Msg. 6 of 108       
I guess I wasn't the only one who had ideas for carpet bombing, ODST drops, camo, etc. But I left it for other people like you since I knew I couldn't make it at that time. Not even now.
Edited by PX173 on Dec 7, 2009 at 06:48 PM

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 07:12 PM    Msg. 7 of 108       
@Xel: It can be, however, I doubt I'll decide for it to become a MP2SPMT project as I'm using other people's tags; Delta's Honor Guards and Advancebo's gravity chair.

@Gamma: I'm on holiday right now and I don't have access to HEK, so I haven't made any progress.

laxdude1995

Isn't that from one of your Chinese cartoons?

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 07:22 PM    Msg. 8 of 108       
Make Energy Spears for honor guards. Thats canon and sexy.

Gamma927

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 08:07 PM    Msg. 9 of 108       
Delta's honor guard elites have been publicly released. Although, if you don't want to, I can always revive that project that I put on hold twice. I'm still amazed as to how I managed to script such a level back in February. (Yes, it's that level).

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 02:03 AM    Msg. 10 of 108       
You mean the one we both started on? Thought that was in March. Oh, and Delta and Bo's tags aren't the only ones I'll be using. The map will include, among others, BP's ODSTs and Elites, DMT's sniper Jackals, Doan's Gruntos, Zteam's Plasma Rifle and perhaps SMG, Gamma's Carbine animations...

And I do have an honor guard pike gbxmodel by Elefant, I might tag it or get someone to tag for me.

Edited the first post with additional information and 2 more enemy types: Stealth Elites and Suicide Grunts (Advancebo for model, Gamma for tagging). For those wondering what I will do if I run into tagspace problems, I'll likely delete all the units pending removal and minimise weapon variety.

I'm also considering removing the ODST drop feature due to possible problems with the HEV tag and its landing. Thinking of replacing it with a pelican that drops off troops on command, but I'm not sure my animator will be willing to animate a pelican drop for every single outdoor area in the map.

Edited by Polamee on Dec 8, 2009 at 02:09 AM

PX173

It was worth it.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 04:29 AM    Msg. 11 of 108       
Quote: --- Original message by: Polamee
I'm also considering removing the ODST drop feature due to possible problems with the HEV tag and its landing. Thinking of replacing it with a pelican that drops off troops on command, but I'm not sure my animator will be willing to animate a pelican drop for every single outdoor area in the map.

Make it like the Hammer of Dawn concept where you can't fire when the satellite is offline. In this case, when an allied ship is above you.

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 07:14 PM    Msg. 12 of 108       
Quote: --- Original message by: PX173

Make it like the Hammer of Dawn concept where you can't fire when the satellite is offline. In this case, when an allied ship is above you.

I'm not sure my animator will be willing to animate a UNSC ship to move around above the player....plus I'll probably be too lazy to script everything.

Just realized I might need a voice actor, any volunteers?
Edited by Polamee on Dec 8, 2009 at 07:15 PM

PX173

It was worth it.

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 10:43 PM    Msg. 13 of 108       

Quote: --- Original message by: PX173

I'm not sure my animator will be willing to animate a UNSC ship to move around above the player....plus I'll probably be too lazy to script everything.

Edited by Polamee on Dec 8, 2009 at 07:15 PM

You don't see the Dawn's satellite either, and I'm pretty sure the UNSC ship will be too high up for you to see it. And besides, you could just put it in as a floating bitmap or part of the sky itself. Or like the Aegis Fate on H3 Sandtrap.

Gamma927

Posted: Dec 8, 2009 11:01 PM    Msg. 14 of 108       
Gamma's Carbine animations...

Ew. My reload was decent; Everything else sucked. Gimme some time to fix up.

Male or female? Time to call some favors from the voice acting club...

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Dec 9, 2009 01:17 AM    Msg. 15 of 108       
Hey who better to voice act then me and my Machinima team?

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 03:49 AM    Msg. 16 of 108       
nvm
Edited by Polamee on Dec 10, 2009 at 04:10 AM

Shade117 pro

Yeah bro (xfire: blue117pro) I can make cubemaps

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 03:55 AM    Msg. 17 of 108       
*post deleted by admin for rules violation
READ THE RULES:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2979

Bypassed profanity filter
Edited by Dickface on Penis 06, 2666 at Ya mum's house
Edited by Shade117 pro on Apr 12, 2010 at 02:29 AM

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 04:11 AM    Msg. 18 of 108       
*post deleted by admin for rules violation
READ THE RULES:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2979

quoted profanity
Edited by Dennis on Dec 10, 2009 at 07:53 PM

Cocaine

Can't stop napping.

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 04:14 AM    Msg. 19 of 108       
Best wishes again Pola.

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 06:54 PM    Msg. 20 of 108       
I'm considering replacing MA5C with ICEE's MA5DGL...its more balanced and interesting. However the noobs might not give suh a plain weapon a good reception, I should tweak it a little.

Gamma927

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 06:58 PM    Msg. 21 of 108       
Change up the skin, shaders, firing effect, and tweak the grenade launcher part. Make it for only one grenade.

MasterRyan

Leader of Ryan C. Designs!

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 07:40 PM    Msg. 22 of 108       
sounds awesome, but I have to say, the number one problem with MP maps as SP maps is that it is not linear enough, and it makes if very hard to know where to go, it is funny, I played Snowtorn Cove for the first time today and my first thought was that with a little tweaking to the BSP (yes, I think it needs to have more passageways, hallways and more inside areas, as well as putting barriers around open areas) it would make an EPIC SP map, so good luck, I would help, but all I can do is populate, and I don't know if you want a populator or not

once again, I can't wait to play :D

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Dec 10, 2009 11:59 PM    Msg. 23 of 108       
I like the concept but really, is it so hard to get SP maps done on SP meant BSPs? Of course it may be more work but it doesn't seem like it's something that's tryed often even tho SP allows for loading zones, more details(Bigger landscapes) so in the end, why restrain to one BSP? I've spent some days exploring the possibilities of SP BSPs lately and made a map with load zones and I have to say, it's fun. It's different than what we're use to, yes, but for SP, I really think that's the edge required.

Shade117 pro

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 12:03 AM    Msg. 24 of 108       
Polamee get on xfire NAO!!
so i can talk to you cos dennis killed our posts n i didnt see wht u replyed back =/

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 01:03 AM    Msg. 25 of 108       
Quote: --- Original message by: MasterRyan
sounds awesome, but I have to say, the number one problem with MP maps as SP maps is that it is not linear enough, and it makes if very hard to know where to go, it is funny, I played Snowtorn Cove for the first time today and my first thought was that with a little tweaking to the BSP (yes, I think it needs to have more passageways, hallways and more inside areas, as well as putting barriers around open areas) it would make an EPIC SP map,

Coincidentally, I just got an idea inspired by Halo 3 ODST. I plan to implement a special feature so that when you press the flashlight, a navigational hint will appear. Plus, I'm not using barriers, they look cluttered. Instead, if you wander off to places where you're not supposed to go, a message will tell you to return to your area in 5 seconds or you will die.

@Shade: I simply said I confused you with the Slayer117 guy, since I just glanced at the names and both your names start with S and end with 117. And you were the one who volunteered to animate for me.

Slayer117

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 01:09 AM    Msg. 26 of 108       
how sare you get my name mixed up with his thats a complete insult /jk

anyway this map sounds awosme nice work!

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 01:14 AM    Msg. 27 of 108       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
how sare you get my name mixed up with his thats a complete insult /jk

anyway this map sounds awosme nice work!

Thanks, are you still willing to voice act? Please send me samples of your voice recordings then.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 01:18 AM    Msg. 28 of 108       
I got your PM. I'll log on tomorrow night (provided I don't have any homework) and I'll see what I can do, I think I've got some ideas.

Slayer117

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 01:26 AM    Msg. 29 of 108       
you can wait next week when i launch my new machinima and you can check out my voice actingg then.

sierra117

If sex is good exercise, why are there fat sluts?

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 04:45 AM    Msg. 30 of 108       
Polamee; just curious, do you actually have a full working script for the detection of the Elite Ultra & Elite Zealots to dispose their primary weapon (plasma rifle) and bringing out a secondary weapon (energy sword) for combat?

Shade117 pro

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 06:11 AM    Msg. 31 of 108       
@ Polamee
yah, i remember.
Well ossim sauce for u! =)

And also, put the names of the people who are working on this project, so we know whos doin what & whatnot.
Edited by Shade117 pro on Dec 11, 2009 at 06:12 AM

MasterRyan

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 09:23 AM    Msg. 32 of 108       
I am glad there is no flood, and I like the idea of the sword elites, will you be able to use the dual plasma rifles or the energy sword, that would be SO COOL!

MasterRyan

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 09:27 AM    Msg. 33 of 108       
you read the hippies in my halo thread, didn't you...............

Slayer117

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 12:53 PM    Msg. 34 of 108       
Whats wrong w/ flood there cool exspcialy on that one map that i saw some one working on where you get to see them takeover a marine they killed.

MasterRyan

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 01:03 PM    Msg. 35 of 108       
to much information......

Page 1 of 4 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Mon January 27, 2020 11:51 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website