A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Official Project Revamp Discussion & Recruitment Thread

Author Topic: Official Project Revamp Discussion & Recruitment Thread (32 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Adulese

Da Whoopster is listening ...

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 11:43 AM    Msg. 1 of 32       
Project Revamp

Hello everyone at Halomaps.org,

I am almost assured that no one here will remember me (as I was only active on the forums for a short time last fall), so let me start with an introduction. My name is Joe and I go by the online alias, Adulese (A-dul-ze). I am an avid web programmer and MMO game developer (Over at www.freemmorpgmaker.com) and have long been a fan of the Halo: CE modding community. Having recently put my 405th projects on hold for the just past finals week (and the cold Cleveland temperatures), I began thinking of a project that I have really wanted to do for a long time. This project is something that should bring life and attention back to this huge community, providing a polished game update as well as free released resources. This project is a call for a revamp.

What I am looking to do is update the Halo: Combat Evolved solo and multi-player to meet today's standards. With the release of the Reach trailer, the overall consistency of the franchise is at risk if Halo: CE is not updated. Though I am a fan of our old Mark V armor, I think that this is a project in which we can all lend hands in shaping.

Project Revamp will likely include:

• Updated Biped Models

• Updated Cut-scenes

• Updated Maps, which will include:

• Updated & Realistic Textures

• Updated Weapons

• Updated Animations

• Updated Vehicles

• Scenery & Gameplay Improvements

• Updated GUI and HUD

In the end, there will be a release of an installer, which will automatically update your original copy of Halo with the updated maps and data. Also, pending agreement with the modelers and texture artists, I am hoping to releasing the resources used to the community in order to further create great maps that further enrich the task.

Now, I know that this cannot be a one man show, so I am asking you the community to come forth and help. If you have had experience in 3D Modeling, Biped rigs, HD Texture Arts, and/or any advanced knowledge of the engine and it's tools, please come forward and lend a hand to this huge project.

Warm Regards,
Adulese

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 12:12 PM    Msg. 2 of 32       
Though your idea is interesting, and would be nice if completed, there is one thing I disagree with:

Quote: --- Original message by: Adulese
With the release of the Reach trailer, the overall consistency of the franchise is at risk if Halo: CE is not updated.

Unless this mod were to be mandatory, Halo CE would still be as it is now. This would be just another mod. We can't change that. The consistency of the franchise has already been at risk a while ago. It's becoming increasingly harder and harder for fans of the story to make links, and to determine what is canon, and what isn't.

Adulese

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 12:47 PM    Msg. 3 of 32       
I agree that this may not be an automatic savior of the franchise's roots. However I believe that even if it is not mandatory, it is worth the time and effort to be able to make Halo: CE come back into the mainstream of PC gaming. Though unlikely, the mod could even be brought to the attention of Bungie and company if put into the mainstream and go along the route of Counter Strike and Team Fortress.

If anyone would like to talk to me further, please feel free to add me on MSN at: adulese@hotmail.com.

Warm Regards,
Adulese

deslakle

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 03:06 PM    Msg. 4 of 32       
Are you saying you want totally new graphics for the whole game, without an updated graphics engine? That sounds like it just would not work for such an old game.

Adulese

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 06:39 PM    Msg. 5 of 32       
I've tested a few textures out in my old maps that I never fully released, and the game as a whole basically just needs higher quality textures and smoother edges. While that doesn't sound like much, when coupled with the other objectives, the project is a huge undertaking. That is why I am looking for some members to give the project some whole.

Warm Regards,
Adulese

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Dec 22, 2009 10:58 PM    Msg. 6 of 32       
go for it, this seems promising.
but, just one question : would the EULA allow you to do this?
i understand your intentions, and fully support this, but the legal issues are.........
doubtable

Gamma927

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:16 AM    Msg. 7 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: sargejohnson
i understand your intentions, and fully support this, but the legal issues are.........
doubtable

What legal issues? Legal issues involved in modding the existing maps to use different weapons, and use an installer? If that were the case, all of CMT would be in prison, or be charged. They're modding the existing single player, adding new weapons, updating BSP textures. The only thing is they don't have an installer to install the maps, but that's not that hard to make.

Adulese

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:36 AM    Msg. 8 of 32       
Thank you Gamma and sargejohnson for your support. In regards to legal issues, I highly doubt that there will be any problems since the game isn't for sale, claiming to be anything more than a mod to the original game copy for the PC. Not to mention that one of the goals is to give back to the community with resources for future maps and mods.

Currently, I am working on the Spartan biped model. Though I'm not an amazing 3D modeler, I think it's a good way to start the project off. I'll post some progress pictures as soon as I have something to show.

Remember, if you want any more information on this, have specific questions, or want to join the team, hit me up on MSN or post right here. Thanks again for your support.

Warm Regards,
Adulese

Perko

yes, really!

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 12:49 AM    Msg. 9 of 32       
Honestly, I don't think that Bungie care if you do go through with this project becasue it would be adding more to the Halo series and enticing more people to join the community.

The Barron

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 07:09 AM    Msg. 10 of 32       
May i just wish best of luck to you.
Edited by The Barron on Dec 23, 2009 at 07:25 AM

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 08:31 AM    Msg. 11 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
Quote: --- Original message by: sargejohnson
doubtable

What legal issues? Legal issues involved in modding the existing maps to use different weapons, and use an installer? If that were the case, all of CMT would be in prison, or be charged. They're modding the existing single player, adding new weapons, updating BSP textures. The only thing is they don't have an installer to install the maps, but that's not that hard to make.

oh, ok. But an installer for maps? i do remember there are some in H-maps, and for one thing, i thought when he said to "bring the singleplayer and multiplayer of the game to modern standards" he meant to modify the game engine to allow better stuff.
guess i didn't read it properly, lol soz :)

there is something i need to clarify though.
does this mean that the game engine would be modified in any way?
i do know cmt has updated the graphics and other stuff in their projects (example SPV2), but they didn't really touch the engine.
Edited by sargejohnson on Dec 23, 2009 at 08:38 AM

Adulese

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 01:40 PM    Msg. 12 of 32       
We most likely will not be modifying the engine in any sort of way. The only things that will be changed are the data packs stored in the levels and maps. Also, in regards to the huge amounts of postings of that silly picture, I am aware of past attempts at revamping the engine. They hardly went very far to my knowledge and I wish to change that. Even if I don't get the team I am looking for, I will continue to try and make this project work until it is completed to some degree. Thank you for those that have shown their support.

Warm Regards,
Adulese

Adulese

Posted: Dec 23, 2009 04:07 PM    Msg. 13 of 32       
Is the constant re-qouting of this image actually needed? If you don't have anything that needs to be said about the topic, then why even bother posting?

On topic, the modeling is progressing a bit, though I'll be taking a bit of break from it during the coming holiday. Before I forget, merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Warm Regards,
Adulese

Gamma927

Posted: Dec 24, 2009 08:16 PM    Msg. 14 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: CorruptedHalo
everyone who quoted this picture (other than me) is an ass.

I find that hard to believe.

Perko

yes, really!

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 06:58 PM    Msg. 15 of 32       
I find it hard to believe that you aren't taking this seriously. Adulese's idea could make Halo CE truly awesome and you make a joke of it.

CorruptedHalo

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 07:05 PM    Msg. 16 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: CorruptedHalo
everyone who quoted this picture (other than me) is an ass.

I find that hard to believe.

while I am an ass, I'm not an ass for that. This guy just wants to discuss a project; there's no reason for people to start bashing before he even gets the chance to show progress.

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 10:50 PM    Msg. 17 of 32       
Look, this thread is for critiscm and support of his mod only. I have no objections whatsoever if you point out the technical impossibilities of the mod, however, if you don't state the reason for your critiscm, its just spam.

Yes. Its this thread again. So what? You're implying that this project will share the same fate as the others, unfinished and never completed, but how do you know? In short, let him continue on his project, stop critiscizing him until you are sure of what to critiscize on.

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 11:11 PM    Msg. 18 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Perko
I find it hard to believe that you aren't taking this seriously. Adulese's idea could make Halo CE truly awesome and you make a joke of it.

It's because everyone here has seen the exact same thread before, new member with little to no experience with the game engine is trying to take on an ambitious project and wants people to help him (do all/most of the work) while he oversees the project because he has not developed any real skills (besides maybe tagging/population) and then he ends up biting off more than he can chew and the mod fails eventually as the OP doesn't have the leadership skills to keep the team together or the team members lose interest in it because progress is so slow.
I hate to be an ass about it, but I have serious doubts this project will get completed. I wish the OP best of luck on it though.

Perko

yes, really!

Posted: Dec 25, 2009 11:24 PM    Msg. 19 of 32       
maybe this time though if everyone contribiutes then something might be done. theres a 1st time for everything

iTails

The lot of idiots on this forum are veterans

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 02:12 AM    Msg. 20 of 32       
If you re-create Halo, it will be just like re-creating Star Wars. It will lose value... very fast, which is why I think the HCE community has made it this far.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 02:35 AM    Msg. 21 of 32       
Not even the most experienced modders in this community could pull this project off. You set your bar a bit high. I would suggest starting out just small and recreate let's say just the biped. Get used to the hek and start creating cool content that is practicle. I hope you learn along the way though.

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 05:33 PM    Msg. 22 of 32       
You guys have to be stupid to think that your mod will basically rewrite Halo's history. I'm sure Bungie will pull a Houdini and somehow get the story on one line again.

iTails

The lot of idiots on this forum are veterans

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 07:45 PM    Msg. 23 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xel
Quote: --- Original message by: iTails
If you re-create Halo, it will be just like re-creating Star Wars. It will lose value... very fast, which is why I think the HCE community has made it this far.

WTF?
Let me re-phrase that.

The reason people play HCE still, is because there aren't 3-4 different versions of it. Maybe custom campaigns and maps, but you can't change it completely.

Adulese

Posted: Dec 26, 2009 10:42 PM    Msg. 24 of 32       
I have noticed something that keeps popping up lately. First of all, I am not a newcomer when it comes to modding the Halo Engine with the Custom Edition tool set. I have worked with the tool set for around 1.5 years now, though I prefer to keep my modding to a personal tinkering level.

Secondly, I am not trying to recreate Halo:CE. I simple want to work on upgrading the current graphics and look of the campaign/multiplayer experience and then release the resources for others to use. I have no expectation of mass receival of this mod. Nor any expectation that it will alter anything in the Halo fiction more than any other mod has in the past.

Finally, I am quite surprised that a good amount of this community have continued to try to under-mind this project. A great deal of you have twisted my words only to try and destroy this idea yet again. Honestly, it is quite odd that you should do so. Why try and shut down something that only wants to give back to a game that we all love?

On any rate, I will be continuing work as usual. I'll try and put up some of my work as soon as possible so that you can see the progress of the project. However, I am again reaching out to the community for aid in the project. It is impossible to do this alone, but if it has to come to that, I'll still trudge onward.

So, please continue to discuss, just please keep it civil.

Warm Regards,
Adulese

Gamma927

Posted: Dec 27, 2009 11:47 AM    Msg. 25 of 32       
After reading all the past comments on this thread, I feel rather disgusted. This may seem like yet another thread where someone wants to upgrade CE, I'll grant you guys that much. However, this guy actually types in a civil manner, which makes this different than other threads.

Compare to this guy:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=29970

You never know. He might be able to pull something off. In the event that he doesn't, flaming him at this point doesn't accomplish anything. It's not like he's trying to make Halo 3 tags and put them into CE. He's also not requesting that people give him free stuff for his own purpose. He's merely requesting help on his mod.

Not that you guys will read this entire post, nor care. TL;DR version:

He acts in a civil manner, isn't asking for free tags, and there's no point in flaming him now.

Adulese

Posted: Dec 27, 2009 06:18 PM    Msg. 26 of 32       
Thank you Gamma. I have some what good news towards this project as well. Do to an unexpected error with my Xbox 360 (RROD), I will be continuing model work sooner than I first thought. I hope to show you all some of the work as soon as I get enough together. Expect the first thing to be released to be the new SPARTAN Biped (unrigged at first). Till then, please continue to discuss.

Warm Regards,
Adulese

PS: If any of you would like to talk to me directly, just add my MSN account at: adulese@hotmail.com

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 02:12 PM    Msg. 27 of 32       
This really isn't too hard tbh. I think ASP is already doing half the stuff listed...

Gamma927

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 03:22 PM    Msg. 28 of 32       
How would you know what ASP is doing? You aren't in ASP :V

Superintendent

Keep it Clean.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 07:03 PM    Msg. 29 of 32       
Hmm... I would like to see an updated Mk V biped. Since it wasn't in the reach trailer. Ive always been quite fond of the Mark V.

Dark

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 07:07 PM    Msg. 30 of 32       
How would you know what ASP is doing? You aren't in ASP :V

yeah im in asp and i dun even know what there doing.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 07:08 PM    Msg. 31 of 32       

Compare to this guy:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=29970

This made me LOL.

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: Dec 30, 2009 05:06 AM    Msg. 32 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Superintendent
Hmm... I would like to see an updated Mk V biped. Since it wasn't in the reach trailer. Ive always been quite fond of the Mark V.

Wouldn't it be outdated since it's before Halo 1?

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 12, 2019 1:15 AM 406 ms.
A Halo Maps Website