A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Star Wars Mapping Team (Redux!)

Author Topic: Star Wars Mapping Team (Redux!) (33 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Jay2645

Cortana saw you naked.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 01:56 AM    Msg. 1 of 33       
Hello again, Jay2645 here.
For those not in the know, the SWMT is committed to making a total Star Wars conversion for the Halo 1 engine. While we ARE looking at a Halo release, I am exploring the options of the Unreal Development Kit as well, and we may reuse the assets to release the mod for the Unreal Engine in addition to Halo Custom Edition.

Now, some of you may be wondering what I've been up to since I've been gone.
Not much.
I haven't been modeling much due to a bunch of problems in my personal life, but the SWMT thread hasn't been updated in a while, and I think it's just time to junk the old thread and start over new.

First, let me introduce our current member roster:
Jay2645/English Mobster: Myself, the leader of the SWMT. I do the majority of the concepts/modeling of every weapon, level, and tag you see. I specialize in modeling (and now texturing!) and population/balance.
Nexus Halo: My go-to guy when I'm too lazy to model a level myself. He comes up with the concepts/models of a level, and I let him go with it. He's allowed a large amount of creative freedom (as are all of my team members), and I can adapt something he makes to pretty much any purpose.
Advancebo: The technical side of things. When I'm frustrated with getting a biped to work, or getting the physics on a vehicle right, I dump it on him and he spits out a nice, shiny, working tag.

Second, the current level list:
Arc Hammer: The headquarters for the Empire's Dark Trooper project, as seen in the original Dark Forces game for the PS1. A mix of long, medium, and short range combat. Think of the Modern Warfare 2 map "Highrise", as that's the general feel I'm going for.
Yavin IV: The Rebel base on Yavin IV, after the Death Star battle. Based off of old classic Blood Gulch, one can say that this is our Blood Gulch mod, although it isn't really a mod, since I haven't used a single polygon of the original map.
Consider it a sexification/re-imagining of the all-time classic.
Tantive IV: A close-quarters combat map. Designed so there could be an enemy around every corner, whilst still keeping true to the original ship's design.

Current weaponry:
E-11:
The gun you'll find scattered around the Imperial's base. This IS the Stormtrooper's rifle. As such, it fires quickly and does plenty 'o damage, but overheats quickly as well with a high amount of error.
Render:

Current Status:
Everything's working fine for this gun. 100% complete, save for a possibly darkened texture.

A280:
The Rebellion's gun of choice, littered around Rebel bases everywhere. This gun does moderate damage, doesn't overheat TOO quickly, and has a mid-range amount of error. Should counter the E-11 nicely.
Render:
Sadly, none, at the moment. Wait until the texture is redone, and then you will have your render.
Current Status:
Needs 1st person, texture needs to be redone.

FC-1 Flechette Launcher:
A conventional (and primitive) "Slugthrower" shotgun. Damage/range should approximate that of the default Halo shotgun.
Render:

Current Status:
No animations, no 1st person. Texture needs some fixing.

Imperial Heavy Repeater:
Another "Slugthrower", the Imperial Heavy Repeater is what it says on the tin: Essentially, a minigun. It has the capacity to fill the air with white-hot bullets, but needs to reload often and has a limited ammo supply.
Render:

Current Status:
No texture, no animations.

Vehicles:
Will come at a later date, once I scrounge up the vehicle's max files.

I will make an attempt to keep this thread updated with the latest news and events, but as of right now, I'm busy finding out where the tags are and making some tweaks to them before showing the general public.
Also, I would very much like to expand the SWMT. If you would like to join, please show me something you've made and I'll consider letting you into our ranks.
Edited by Jay2645 on Jan 7, 2010 at 01:48 AM

Eden

I am your sword.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 02:45 AM    Msg. 2 of 33       
Looking nice! I'm a huge Star Wars fan so I'm really excited about this.

Advancebo

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 06:22 AM    Msg. 3 of 33       
:D

GySgt_Pete Stacker

ooh...oh... roadkill -xfire vadboy23

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 07:07 AM    Msg. 4 of 33       
light sabers? well all i think about starwars is that sword and i think its much more powerful than the halo energy sword.

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 07:45 AM    Msg. 5 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: GySgt_Pete Stacker
light sabers? well all i think about starwars is that sword and i think its much more powerful than the halo energy sword.

Scientifically, it shouldn't really be, but tthen again it seems like lightsabers have infinite battery.

Jay2645

Cortana saw you naked.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 09:58 AM    Msg. 6 of 33       

Not sure how I'm going to integrate it into gameplay yet, it may be a 1-hit kill melee weapon.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 11:06 AM    Msg. 7 of 33       
I'll do the scripting etc for it if you plan on doing a SP map.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 02:42 PM    Msg. 8 of 33       
All the models are crap, all the the texture are crap, and I cant say much about anything else. Furthermore jay, stop making those worthless and stupid extrudes. They add nothing to your model, and make it look even worse than it would without them. Furthermore go get some tutorials or something becuase to be honest its been like 5 months of you just modeling something and making the same mistake, over and over again. Your topology is crap, your mesh is riddled with non planers, and your adding more polys than you need to in ALOT of areas.
Look ill even post some for you
http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=966646
http://www.fpsbanana.com/tuts/332
And I don't care if you have already seen both of them, becuase if you have you obviously missed the entire gist of the tutorials.
Edited by CLS_GRUNT on Jan 5, 2010 at 02:44 PM

Advancebo

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 02:47 PM    Msg. 9 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: CLS_GRUNT

All the models are crap, all the the texture are crap, and I cant say much about anything else. Furthermore jay, stop making those worthless and stupid extrudes. They add nothing to your model, and make it look even worse than it would without them. Furthermore go get some tutorials or something becuase to be honest its been like 5 months of you just modeling something and making the same mistake, over and over again. Your topology is crap, your mesh is riddled with non planers, and your adding more polys than you need to in ALOT of areas.
And I don't care if you have already seen both of them, becuase if you have you obviously missed the entire gist of the tutorials.

Theres no point in the first link, as thats SubD modeling, and this is a 9 year old game.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 03:05 PM    Msg. 10 of 33       
No, it shows you how to model a weapon using references, and texture it. Something jay obviously cannot do properly.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 03:36 PM    Msg. 11 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Advancebo

Theres no point in the first link, as thats SubD modeling, and this is a 9 year old game.

... Just becuase its Sub-D Modeling dosent mean that using the techniques in it dosent help.

DEEhunter

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 03:39 PM    Msg. 12 of 33       
Advancebo thinks that sub-D modeling is for noobs and that the outcome is crappy. He has been for a while now actually.
Since last year.

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 04:31 PM    Msg. 13 of 33       
What crawled up you butt and died CLS? Seriously, you could have just said that those models needed a bit more tuning and better distribution to them. What you said was just plain redonculous at first glance.

deadlyfighter1000

Constantly a threat.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 05:22 PM    Msg. 14 of 33       

Calm down... You don't need to be so harsh.. I like the models. (Although I can't model for crap so lol)

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 06:57 PM    Msg. 15 of 33       
You could give it like "force powers" an invisible projectile that creates an explosion that does no damage, but pushes an enemy back and maybe stuns them for a bit.

Also, your heavy repeater is looking kind of nasty, you have some really noticeable non planars all over the side of the gun. Your other stuff is looking nice though.

SiMuLaCrUm

too digital

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 07:08 PM    Msg. 16 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003
What crawled up you butt and died CLS? Seriously, you could have just said that those models needed a bit more tuning and better distribution to them. What you said was just plain redonculous at first glance.

He's just asserting himself. Gets his point across.

CLS_GRUNT

Old

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 07:16 PM    Msg. 17 of 33       

I would have said that but not all of us eat smurfs and crap rainbows

tbh the models dont need "a bit more tuning" they are flat out horrible, the crit I gave his is acceptable due to the circumstances. Hes been making the same mistake 100's of times, yet he hasn't improved at all, why? Because people sugarcoat the crit they have given him, and becuase of that, jay thinks hes doing just fine.

Advancebo

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 08:31 PM    Msg. 18 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5
You could give it like "force powers" an invisible projectile that creates an explosion that does no damage, but pushes an enemy back and maybe stuns them for a bit.

You play as a storm trooper/rebel.

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 08:36 PM    Msg. 19 of 33       

Also, your heavy repeater is looking kind of nasty, you have some really noticeable non planars all over the side of the gun. Your other stuff is looking nice though.

Like this :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_6HUWBeabk

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 09:03 PM    Msg. 20 of 33       
I'm thinking you make the light saber as the oddball for the Yavin map. Since you have a storm trooper helmet.

CLS: Don't like it, don't download.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t261/carlos_y_charlie/newrender.jpg
Nuff said. Don't bother replying I suck at modeling because I know I'm not very good.

Slap Happy

Life ain't fair, buy a helmet.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 09:15 PM    Msg. 21 of 33       
I hope you complete a map and concentrate on "acceptable for now" instead of "perfect." Yes, I understand many modelers model because they enjoy it. Some are quite skilled at modeling, but are impaired in other areas.

I am not asking you to release something you are not willing to, but, pay attention to those that "play the game" and not just modeler crit.

I have read every post on all things SWMT, and it usually gets crapped on a specific weapon is slightly discolored or mal-textured, or is named wrong, and SWMT gets sidetracked from producing a single release, and ends up debating Star Wars dogma, or proper modeling techniques with countless revisions, then drama sets in (we have already seen a start of that here).

Most modelers don't play CE regularly. Play to the audience of the 'players' not the smaller number of forum posters (which includes some modeler crit) and you will have success. I measure success in number of servers hosting your map, and for how long, and for number of players in those servers, as well as improvement of skill between maps or releases.

Was anything proper or perfect done with Tusken Raid? No, but it was hosted by 8 servers over 6-10 months, and most of them stayed full, 8K downloads. Nothing was perfect (take the flying cardboard box non-x-wing as an example) - except the fun factor was near perfect. Play to the audience, not the modelers only (please). BTW: KOTH is a blast and has force push/pull on primary and secondary fire on the light saber.

And please, please release 'something' Star Wars like map. If SWMT still refuses to release a single map until a series of maps are all complete, you will have lost me - I wont read it nor get my hopes up for anything. I hate being teased by hope for a SWMT release.

That said, I hope you have fun doing it too - with your style, your way. No doubt a Star Wars map will get downloaded, but will it be played?

UnevenElefant5

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 09:29 PM    Msg. 22 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Advancebo

You play as a storm trooper/rebel.

Stormtroopers and rebels can have force powers :P

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Jan 5, 2010 09:39 PM    Msg. 23 of 33       

I would have said that but not all of us eat smurfs and crap rainbows

tbh the models dont need "a bit more tuning" they are flat out horrible, the crit I gave his is acceptable due to the circumstances. Hes been making the same mistake 100's of times, yet he hasn't improved at all, why? Because people sugarcoat the crit they have given him, and becuase of that, jay thinks hes doing just fine.

I just try to be more settle with my words. That's how I learn instead of someone saying my stuff sucks. It reads into more detail and works being put forth into the model.

markopolo

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 12:14 AM    Msg. 24 of 33       
Sweet you guys are back up. I was subscribed to your old thread forever in case you guys came back up, and you did.

Nexus Halo

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 01:01 AM    Msg. 25 of 33       
Before I start modeling Hoth I need to know, would you rather:

A: Have the SWBF2 Hoth map

or

B: Hoth revised and resized. If it's this way the map will become like a bottle. AT-AT's from the bottle neck to the bottom with the generators and 2 bases.

MasterRyan

Leader of Ryan C. Designs!

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 11:05 AM    Msg. 26 of 33       
I was following this project from the beginning, it is the reason I joined Halomaps, I am SO EXCITED for this, you have my support EVERY step of the way!

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 04:07 PM    Msg. 27 of 33       
@ Nexus:

I think you'd probably get a better rating and more people downloading it if it was the actual size in SWBF2.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 05:34 PM    Msg. 28 of 33       
Revised + resized, as I said last night.

Nexus Halo

Posted: Jan 6, 2010 05:55 PM    Msg. 29 of 33       
Yea I was thinking of making it the SWBF version but then gameplay won't be the same since Halo is only limited to 16 players. Personally I think a revised and resized version would be better but I'm leaving it up to the people who will be playing the map more that myself will be.

Jay2645

Cortana saw you naked.

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 12:34 AM    Msg. 30 of 33       
One thing which has always bugged me is how people who are the best modelers tend to completely forget about gameplay.

Those of you who are concerned about a lack of "fun" in one of my maps; don't be.

UnevenElefant5

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 12:46 AM    Msg. 31 of 33       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nexus Halo
Yea I was thinking of making it the SWBF version but then gameplay won't be the same since Halo is only limited to 16 players. Personally I think a revised and resized version would be better but I'm leaving it up to the people who will be playing the map more that myself will be.

I would keep the interior as is, but definately scale down the exterior, it's fun in battlefront, but in Halo it just wouldn't work imo.

Slap Happy

Life ain't fair, buy a helmet.

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 02:46 AM    Msg. 32 of 33       
any updates?

Ninjadude

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 05:09 AM    Msg. 33 of 33       
I wondered what happened to you guys.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat July 4, 2020 4:50 PM 265 ms.
A Halo Maps Website