A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Help with Sapien Lightmap/Shadow Maps

Author Topic: Help with Sapien Lightmap/Shadow Maps (6 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

YakZSmelk

- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 12:33 AM    Msg. 1 of 6       
I'm having a hard time getting good shadows in HCE and was wondering if anyone could explain how to get a better result from Sapien Radiosity. Is there some way to get higher quality shadows by using a second channel? I'm at a loss if you can give me any input, these are the types of shadows I keep getting, and it's frustrating the hell outta me.

This is a Work In Progress

YakZSmelk

Posted: Jan 18, 2010 02:07 AM    Msg. 2 of 6       
That image was taken after running the quality at 1, and will tool make for better shadows? Right now it looks like the shadows are not properly recognizing the BSP's surface.

crimsonshadow117

Xfire: crimsonshadow117

Posted: Jan 19, 2010 09:28 PM    Msg. 3 of 6       
If u run tool with these setting (tool lightmaps levels\test\"yourmapname"\"yourmapname" "yourmapname" 0 0.5) u should get good lightmaps.

YakZSmelk

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 12:17 AM    Msg. 4 of 6       
Quote: --- Original message by: crimsonshadow117
If u run tool with these setting (tool lightmaps levels\test\"yourmapname"\"yourmapname" "yourmapname" 0 0.5) u should get good lightmaps.

About how much time will it take with those settings?

Also I checked Simple Parameterization and nice results, you guys know what this actually does?

Heres what the shader looks like with the Simple Parameterization checked;

chrisk123999

=CE= Chris [Captain] [=]

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 10:37 AM    Msg. 5 of 6       
I think it effects how it UV's the lightmaps.

Rambo

Strive to be the best!

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 07:05 AM    Msg. 6 of 6       
Have you tried this?

In the sky tag, create a second "light". Place the light at 0 x 90 and give it a weak intensity. That should keep the lighting from looking like crap. Make it something like 0.4 or 0.5 maximum.

I did this in Blood Creek RC3 and it made my beta with the Day-Night system look a lot better.

So again, no lens flare, no lens flare marker on the second light, and 0 x 90 yaw and pitch coordinates with a strength of 0.4 and copy the other settings. That should cure it. Then, run it again at Quality 1 like you did the first time.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 13, 2019 1:08 AM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website