A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »[DSC/REQ] Ghost House AI

Author Topic: [DSC/REQ] Ghost House AI (32 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 02:41 AM    Msg. 1 of 32       
So its me again, and my creative ideas.

As allways, I dunno if its possible, which is why i'm posting.

So one day, I was thinking about AIs. I know they can't be synced in MP, which is a real bummer... and then I wondered what could they be used for? well, I suppose they could be used to animate scenery, such as fish. As long as 1.) They don't damage the player 2.) they don't effect the player's movement. Also, It musten matter if they die or not... in other words they must be unnecessary.

But then I thought again... could you have a AI powerering a "watch tower" that could shine light at anything that moves? maybe that would work, but then you don't know if you're being shined on or not, cause although you arn't in your game, in other people's game you might be.

And then I thought of just having AI bipeds as decoys... I could even build it into a theme! bipeds that either didn't attack, or if they attacked, did not damage. Shots go through them, YOU go through them, incorpreal. Just like... ghosts.

So my idea is you're in a ghost house. Its shabby house, the roof has holes in it, trap doors, secrets, very dark except for a few floating lattern. use of a flashlight is near mandatory. Its also inhabited by ghosts.

You can make it so that these ghosts don't have shields, are instantly killed when one shot hits them, or are invincible. After one is killed, It will dissipate into luminous smoke. You can even make the ghosts differnt, some governed by differnt AIs, differnt colors of mastercheif, and differnt combat mechanics. Some could shoot you... some would run away.

The point is, these AIs would be nothing other than an distraction. You see someone come around the corner, and you shoot it, thinking its an enemy. The real enemy sees/hears the shots, and comes to fight you. Or you pretend to be an ghost, doing whatever a particular ghost does. (say theres a ghost that stays perfectly still at this one spot). You kill that ghost, and take its position. then you can ambush at ease.

I'm asking: would it work? Would it be fun?

Greenfuzz

PM me if you have CoD MW for Wii

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 03:45 AM    Msg. 2 of 32       
He knows. That's why he wants the scenery to animate as long as it doesn't affect the player in any way.
Edited by Greenfuzz on Jan 24, 2010 at 03:56 AM

Advancebo

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:33 AM    Msg. 3 of 32       
It's not that, it's because an AI's random actions don't sync.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:37 AM    Msg. 4 of 32       
Why not just use bipeds instead of AI?

Advancebo

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:45 AM    Msg. 5 of 32       
Because fish aren't bipeds. And you could make fish swim away when you get near the tank.

sleepy1212

sunnier than you www.quantumfusionclan.com

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:49 AM    Msg. 6 of 32       
same with the ghosts, or some other action. this is a cool idea. everyone get's preempted by the syncing issue that they never get past it and onto any cool ideas for AI in mp. the fish have been done...ghosts would be cool.

Gamma927

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:52 AM    Msg. 7 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Advancebo
Because fish aren't bipeds. And you could make fish swim away when you get near the tank.

Maybe having AI fish isn't the point of his post...?

Advancebo

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:52 AM    Msg. 8 of 32       
Since ghosts are ghosts, they can't be shot at, so they don't need collision. And jus have them follow a scripted path using command lists so that they sync slightly more.

At Gamma, read the first large paragraph in his post.
Edited by Advancebo on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:56 AM    Msg. 9 of 32       
This map would be cool. but you should make it SP. you could even put some scary cutscenes in. and you could make it much longer then intendid to be.

Gamma927

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 12:01 PM    Msg. 10 of 32       

Since ghosts are ghosts, they can't be shot at, so they don't need collision. And jus have them follow a scripted path using command lists so that they sync slightly more.

He wants ghosts, not AI fish. Last time I checked, ghostly AI fish aren't as scary to people (at least not to me).

Also, wouldn't the player just shoot anything, regardless of whether it's a ghost or not?

Advancebo

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 12:32 PM    Msg. 11 of 32       
Ghost are half translucent.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 12:37 PM    Msg. 12 of 32       
Some of you arn't getting the point of the map.

it dosn't MATTER if the ghosts sync or not, Even if ones dead on your side, and he isn't on the other side, it dosn't matter. Actually, It would be pretty funny if they didn't, because then you could find the enemy shooting at nothing. (lol he's insane)

also, if you don't make them collide, can you still make them die when bullets go through them?

I think the best configeration for this map is to have ghosts with fairly decent AI, and they dissapear once they are shot at once (bascially, they have health, but really really low). And try to make them fairly similar to a human player, only the don't shoot.

Its supposed to be scary, because you don't know if all these enemies are real or not. Its not just moving scenery (like the fish were) its scenery easily mistaken for the REAL thing.

Edited by Vastanus neshtrog on Jan 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM

sleepy1212

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 03:49 PM    Msg. 13 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Vastanus neshtrog

it dosn't MATTER if the ghosts sync or not

never will. there is always the knee-jerk reaction to an AI discussion, the one track hivemind. it's like a religion...all AI, everywhere, anytime, MUST SYNC

i guarantee you can open any thread about AI, close your eyes and put your finger on the screen and it will land on some tard chanting "AI don't sync in MP"

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 10:05 PM    Msg. 14 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: sleepy1212

never will. there is always the knee-jerk reaction to an AI discussion, the one track hivemind. it's like a religion...all AI, everywhere, anytime, MUST SYNC

i guarantee you can open any thread about AI, close your eyes and put your finger on the screen and it will land on some tard chanting "AI don't sync in MP"

I hope your sarcastic about the all AI must sync thing.

And still no one has stated if this is possible or not...

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 10:13 PM    Msg. 15 of 32       
Yes it's all possible, it's just a question of getting someone who can and will do it.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:33 PM    Msg. 16 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5
Yes it's all possible, it's just a question of getting someone who can and will do it.

Thats allways a huge problem for me.

Oh and, although this dosn't really have to do with the huanted mansion theme, you could probably also have weapon that spawned a couple of these decoy AIs. They shoot, they seem to hurt, but they do no damage. That would be interesting.. you put a holodisc on the ground, and suddenly, virtual copies of yourself would be pouring out of everywhere, and the enemy dosn't know which to shoot at. (maybe bonus equipment for halo reach?)

Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927

He wants ghosts, not AI fish. Last time I checked, ghostly AI fish aren't as scary to people (at least not to me).

Also, wouldn't the player just shoot anything, regardless of whether it's a ghost or not?

Yes, the player would. but when you have real people in the mix, you could be wasting time shooting at random things, instead of shooing real people. It would also give your position away.
Edited by Vastanus neshtrog on Jan 24, 2010 at 11:39 PM

sleepy1212

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 11:38 PM    Msg. 17 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: sleepy1212

I hope your sarcastic about the all AI must sync thing.

i think you missed the point of my post.

i'll make it simple: you're idea is good, keep working on it.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 12:23 AM    Msg. 18 of 32       
k, thanks

One thing I don't think I made very clear. "Ghosts" can either be actual ghostly scnery that scares you one in a while, or it can be "ghosts" as in decoy mastercheifs that look and behave like real players, and trick you into combating with them.

So..... Is there anybody willing to do this?

Slayer117

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 12:45 AM    Msg. 19 of 32       
i was gonna try this in my theme park map i had going but canceled it couldnt get ppl to help :(

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 01:42 AM    Msg. 20 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
i was gonna try this in my theme park map i had going but canceled it couldnt get ppl to help :(

I think you're using ghosts as asethetics, while I'm using it as an innovative combat edition. (so you actually have to think a bit before shooting anything that looks or moves like an enemy)

Slayer117

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 02:16 AM    Msg. 21 of 32       
Why would you not just shoot it any way. no harm in that. and instead of a house. why not make it a Dark segment of halo where the Forunner Ghosts are trapped. make it dark foggy and scary.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 05:51 PM    Msg. 22 of 32       
thats not the point. ghosts are a distraction. itll be easy to make the mistake of shooting it, when you see something moving in the corner of your eye. To amplify this effect, you would simply make them look more like mastercheifs.

Slayer117

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 08:46 PM    Msg. 23 of 32       
I'd still shoot at anything that moved. it wouldnt do anything. maybe if they made a sound efect that would scare you or pop out at you then yes that may slow the player down to catch his breath.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 09:49 PM    Msg. 24 of 32       
Hmm.. w/e.

I'd still be nice if someone was to incorperate AI scenery into a map... It might even be possible to use a existing map (maybe that church one or the graveyard one) for this.

Hey, I'd prefer if the ghosts were fake Mastercheifs, but you can't allways get what you want in life.

xsnoder

~xofect~flem~

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 10:49 AM    Msg. 25 of 32       

*post deleted by admin for rules violation
READ THE RULES:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2979

Bypassed profanity filter
Edited by Dennis on Jan 27, 2010 at 06:40 PM

Slayer117

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 04:57 PM    Msg. 26 of 32       
Wow well arnt you jut Mr. Cheerfull. Calm your jets dude most people dont know or cant do some of this stuff.

like me for instance i can model my artistic skills just suck. so maybe he cant do it but knows how. so please calm down. yelling at some one whos still in the learning prosess you sound like you dont know crap.

xsnoder

~xofect~flem~

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 04:40 AM    Msg. 27 of 32       
Wow well arnt you jut Mr. Cheerfull. Calm your jets dude most people dont know or cant do some of this stuff.

like me for instance i can model my artistic skills just suck. so maybe he cant do it but knows how. so please calm down. yelling at some one whos still in the learning prosess you sound like you dont know crap.

a but I do and I have da skills ma brada, I just have a prob with the op mouth. I will be booted soon but until then he owes me an opoligy

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 11:20 AM    Msg. 28 of 32       
I have ghost AI I made to have tossed in a beta of a map before ment to just freak the testers out. they see something at the corner of their eye, they look and there is nothing there. its made around scripts that when they are looked at, a script lowers their shields. there shader on their body is only as visible as their shields, so when they are seen they fade away. they are set to be afriad if they are looked at to much, and they go crazy to chase after you (essentialy boo from mario, except they actualy run when seen). they are set to pass threw players, and have no real colision. just do that, and you essentialy have ghosts.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 03:50 PM    Msg. 29 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
I have ghost AI I made to have tossed in a beta of a map before ment to just freak the testers out. they see something at the corner of their eye, they look and there is nothing there. its made around scripts that when they are looked at, a script lowers their shields. there shader on their body is only as visible as their shields, so when they are seen they fade away. they are set to be afriad if they are looked at to much, and they go crazy to chase after you (essentialy boo from mario, except they actualy run when seen). they are set to pass threw players, and have no real colision. just do that, and you essentialy have ghosts.

Oh wow, thats pretty cool. I didn't know you could script "fading away."

So you allready made this, or are you planning to or what?
Edited by Vastanus neshtrog on Jan 28, 2010 at 03:50 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 04:01 PM    Msg. 30 of 32       
He said that he already had made it.
Its Kirby, he can script anything that is possible.

Vastanus neshtrog

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 05:13 PM    Msg. 31 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
He said that he already had made it.
Its Kirby, he can script anything that is possible.

oh... Its just the last sentence made it seem like he didn't do it yet... wasn't sure.
So he has a rep? xP

@kirby: Are you still working on it or is it stopped? And do you mind sharing it?

Slayer117

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 05:25 PM    Msg. 32 of 32       
Quote: --- Original message by: xsnoder

a but I do and I have da skills ma brada, I just have a prob with the op mouth. I will be booted soon but until then he owes me an opoligy

Were you trying to act like a gangster over the internet? cause that just made my day. you are now my number 1 fail of the week buddy!

any way the map still sounds like a good idea im just not so sure how well it would work online.
Edited by Slayer117 on Jan 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun December 15, 2019 4:03 PM 547 ms.
A Halo Maps Website