A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo 2 Vista Forum (Bungie/Microsoft) »Halo 2 Vista General Discussion »Sandtrap Remix - new refined weapons and equipment

Author Topic: Sandtrap Remix - new refined weapons and equipment (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

Kills_Alone

I ain't got no candy for you, NO CANDY

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 05:39 AM    Msg. 1 of 7       
THIS VERSION IS OUTDATED
NEW V3 LINK > http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=32618

Map for Halo 2 Vista

Ported by Kills Alone and released on February 19th, 2O1O

Current Title: Sandtrap Remix V2
File name: sandtrap v2.map
Size: 29.3MB
Supports: All game types

V2 DOWNLOAD > OUTDATED

I suggest upgrading to Sandtrap Remix V2 for a much more balanced experience.

It is also the version that is running on the http://www.MonstrMoose.com Custom H2V server.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Ported by Kills Alone and released on January 22nd, 2O1O

Current Title: Sandtrap Remix
File name: sandtrap.map
Size: 27.3MB
Supports: All game types

V1 DOWNLOAD > OUTDATED

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ABOUT:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sandtrap Remix makes use of weapons from Halo CE, 2 and 3. It features many changes that should allow for new tactics in the H2V engine.

Weapons

H3 (Dual) Magnum M6G
H2 Gravity Hammer
H2 Pike
HCE Pistol Black - less damage/accuracy/range
HCE Assault Rifle - with H3 settings
HCE Assault Rifle Rusty - with HCE settings
Recon Rifle Red - full auto BR, no scope, more ammo, damage/accuracy/range
H2 (Dual) Silenced SMG - fixed ammo pickup
Chain Gun - improved FP and TP nodes, it looks better
H3 Splazer - needs work, but should do for now
Secret Melee Weapon!

H2 Battle Rifle
H2 Carbine
H2 Beam Rifle
H2 Sniper Rifle
H2 Brute Shot
H2 Shotgun
H3 Needler
H2 Plasma Rifle
H2 Brute Plasma Rifle
H2 Rocket Launcher
H2 H Turret

Equipment

Box Shield (10 Use) - blocks bullets and deflects nades. Rox will explode, but explosions do pass through. You can fire at enemy's from inside of the Box
Gravity Lift (10 use) - improved visuals, removed annoying temp effects

Vehicles

4x Warthog
2x Troop Warthog
2x Spectre
4x Ghost
1x Banshee
1 Wraith

Credits to the original BSP creators YakZSmelk and CLS_Grunt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
V2 UPDATES:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alright, we tested and we tested Sandtrap Remix V2 and its much better. TY to Kael, Scrapy, Karturm and everyone else that played last night.

So what has changed? Nothing visually, we'll save those better textures for V3.

-Magnum does proper damage (4.5 - 5 shots and they are dead) and you can pick it up after dropping it. Remember, the Magnum is headshot capable and dual wieldable.

-Splazer's charge is super easy to use now. Just hold, wait and fire. You can also pick it up after dropping now.

-Recon Rifle has slightly increased damage.

-Four H3 Brute Spiker's have been added. This weapon is dual wieldable and its melee is insanely strong (like the Brute Shot). Thanks be to CMT.

-One H2 Sentinel Beam has been added by the crashed Phantom.

-Blue base received an extra shield.

-Minor weapon/vehicle/crate placement changes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INSTALLATION:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Put map file(s) here C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\Halo 2\Maps

Edited by Kills_Alone on Feb 22, 2010 at 09:01 PM
Edited by Kills_Alone on Feb 22, 2010 at 09:09 PM
Edited by Kills_Alone on Jul 2, 2010 at 07:34 PM

Nexus Halo

Halo's Dark Knight http://www.nexushalo.kk5.org/

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 06:00 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
Sure it's a remix but you should change the structures texture. Last time I checked it's stone not steel.

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jan 25, 2010 06:20 PM    Msg. 3 of 7       
Thats on purpose, its a remix not a remake, I made a few tweaks like that, in fact I experimeted with changing all textures but I never got exactly what I wanted and I have many other projects underway so I fell back to what worked well enough and final-ed it (for now).

Besides this release is all about the weapons and equipment, something you cannot get anywhere else in H2V, even in HCE there is no way to get the portable Gravity Lift to work as well as mine. And the Box Shield, while it needs more development time, works surprisingly well.

YakZSmelk

- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 10:52 PM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Oh Snap! Is that my BSP model? Also how are you creating the sky?

Actually I'm quite curious to know how you did alot of that stuff, like the grav-lifts.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Jan 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 12:49 AM    Msg. 5 of 7       
I've been experimenting with different Skys as of late, for this map I borrowed a sky bitmap from a campaign map and added a gradient color bitmap and some other atmosphere effects, but I couldn't get the damn sandstorm effect that I wanted to show up correctly. One change that turned out well is how the sunlight can get in your eyes if you are attacking from red base, because red base has the high ground I thought it only fair.

I'm pretty sure it is your model if you say it is and its great for my purpose (meaning I do appreciate it), but before anyone flips out, the source was unprotected and before I found it I asked permission from Grunt and he said that I could have access to the assets after he was done working on the CE project. Either way I fully credit you for your work and will include your user-name or whatnot in a future readme if and when I do an updated version.

This incarnation of Sandtrap is to demonstrate the current state of the new weapons and equipment for H2V, not to take credit for someone else's work, as specified in the readme.

This and other custom maps are playing everyday on the Custom MonstrMoose server, so check it out.

YakZSmelk

- Environment Artist - robhow.com

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 04:19 AM    Msg. 6 of 7       
It's my model, I do not care though it was a community thing that was supposed to be released to everyone once the official one was released but that's taken a back seat. It's cool to see it being used.

I did notice the sun in the eyes, the map definitely needs some help with the UVs and the atmosphere. Even if you can't get the sandstorm affect right, some depth fog would add some atmosphere.

What exactly did you do to create the weapons though, like the portable grav-lift? I thought none of this could be done.
Edited by YakZSmelk on Feb 6, 2010 at 04:20 AM

Kills_Alone

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 06:24 AM    Msg. 7 of 7       
If you want I could send you a tutorial, its mostly finished. It is very in-depth and noob-friendly (even has color pictures), not that your a noob, I put it up on Modnexus and then they took a dive so that link is now lost to the ethernets. It also links to an example CE Pistol 3DS Model ready for studying the nodes and such.

For a quick summary:

-Get/Make a model

-Import it into 3DS Max (I prefer version 8 for Halo work)

-Set-up Nodes and Markers, Materials

-Turn off Backface culling and flip polys on model(s) so that model appears black

-Export to .JMS

-Compile to GBX_model

-Use Jahrain's GBX_model Upgrader (which only runs on certain systems)

-PRAY, A lot

-Setup new weapon in Korn's Unlocked H2V Guerilla, tags, bitmaps, 1st/3rd person model, effects, etc

-" " Shaders, importing whatever else is needed to the editor

-Adjust messed up nodes/markers by hand

-Test and balance

That Grav Lift and Bubble Shield where both screamingly impossible creations because of the thousands of test permutations I had to go through to get them functional. I devoted a test map called Fuel_Station just to that purpose and then some lamer uploads the older version to this site. The equipment works by becoming the fired projectile. Then it has to be told how long to exist, what direction it will face and how much force to push with.

I'm the only one making H2V custom anything so thats why everyone still thinks it is still impossible, I approached quite a few teams and prominent people in the so called "community" but was met with such hatred for H2V (which I understand, okay, but why some people feel the need to post it in most H2V threads I do not).

And I have read all the posts about HCE Sandtrap and while I do not care for HCE gameplay-wise was certainly looking forward to it. If you ever feel the need to release for H2V, but you want someone else to help just ask.

And yeah I'm still learning to model, heck I just learned about UVUnwrap for this very map and then I forgot to set the proper smoothing in a few areas, well after 16hrs of light rendering I told myself that will have to wait until V2.
Edited by Kills_Alone on Feb 6, 2010 at 06:49 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 13, 2018 2:10 PM 187 ms.
A Halo Maps Website