A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »halo 4 a work in progress

Author Topic: halo 4 a work in progress (28 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

catinthemafia

the worlds hatred creates the next kkk

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 01:07 AM    Msg. 1 of 28       
Well im thinking of making a single player map for halo 4. It will leave the brain storming stage in early July (when i get new laptop).
Much of the stuff i need can be ripped from the halo ce campaign (such as cryo tube and sentinel bipeds. Its at the brain storming stage right now so don't get your hopes up just yet.
inb4 "you'll never accomplish this" actually i can and will get this done!
But i will need some help. Ill do some sketches of what it should look like l8r.
Also it would help if you didnt flame this thread or derail it. If you haven't read my story line go here. http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=30350 .
Ok ill help you imagine what it would look like
Cortana wakes you after reviving a distress message from the spirt of fire.
you see the ship about to crash into an unknown planet. you have to escape and its playing this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo5AOMAUohQ&feature=related
after about 10 min of going though hallways. it goes into cut scene and it shows 117 jump out of the don right before it explodes.
sentinels come rushing in from every direction.(sry forgot the name for the opposite of menecent bias)
and he brings you into a corridor similar to epitaph (its a forrunner grave yard)
sorry im all out of story right now, i finish it later when im inspired.
and when i asked you to not flame it or derail it, i MEAN it. ima talk to Dennis about a stronger hammer here.

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 01:43 AM    Msg. 2 of 28       
First of all Dennis will moderate all topics like normal he wont just look at yours more then any other.

also What can you do in CE? like can you model animate texture or script?

catinthemafia

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 02:03 AM    Msg. 3 of 28       
i can model 3d areas and sketch out maps,players and weapons
and sadly i cant script
but i can make a texture design if youd like? it will be up as soon as my scanner starts working again

FoxtrotZero

Digging Foxholes by Profession

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 10:07 AM    Msg. 4 of 28       
Heres something for you, because, yes, I am a stickler for reality.

The Spirit of Fire? Existed THIRTY YEARS before the original Halo game takes place. Tell me how you want to figure that one out?

catinthemafia

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 09:29 PM    Msg. 5 of 28       
after reach it was found, if i remember correctly the warp engines were busted so they were drifting. so it is possible that serina sent a distress message right before the crew went into cryo sleep

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 09:49 PM    Msg. 6 of 28       
Reach was before Halo CE.

FoxtrotZero

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 10:05 PM    Msg. 7 of 28       
Thirty Years or so before Halo was the Spirit of Fire's campaign. Reach takes place during the Battle for Reach, which is right before Halo. ODST takes place, i think, between Halo 2 and Halo 3.

catinthemafia

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 12:42 AM    Msg. 8 of 28       
the crew went into cryo sleep as they drifted into space
it is possible that serina had to wait over 30 years before any human contact again

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Jan 30, 2010 01:55 AM    Msg. 9 of 28       
It's taken me 3 months to do about 80% of my 10-15 minute SP level. And that's with constant help from Gamma.

Good luck doing an entire campaign from scratch.

E: also, Serina is a "smart" AI, meaning that after a ~7 years will begin to devote too much memory towards thinking and pondering about things, and will literally think herself to death because she will forget to use memory to keep vital functions running.
Edited by UnevenElefant5 on Jan 30, 2010 at 01:58 AM

catinthemafia

Posted: Jan 30, 2010 03:16 PM    Msg. 10 of 28       
if she was that smart why would she do somthing as stupid as that?
and i meant that serina sent a help beacon. it is possible that she went into either standby or offline mode

Gamma927

Posted: Jan 30, 2010 03:27 PM    Msg. 11 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: catinthemafia

If the purpose of life is to sustain life, then why would you do something as stupid as to die in the future?

UnevenElefant5

Posted: Jan 30, 2010 03:30 PM    Msg. 12 of 28       
No, after 7 years the AI starts to become too smart for itself, and starts to ponder things like "Why was I made?" "Why am I subservient to humans?" "When will I die?"
etc, etc. Eventually it starts to devote too much processing power to these questions and forgets to keep it's vital functions running. It's like, thinking so hard that you forget to breathe.
Also, if she's offline she can't keep the distress beacon running ._.

FoxtrotZero

Posted: Jan 31, 2010 12:00 AM    Msg. 13 of 28       
and i meant that serina sent a help beacon. it is possible that she went into either standby or offline mode

I'm only getting pissed because you clearly don't know your halo very well.

Now its not impossible to think that the ship could keep going without halo. Smart AIs are few and far between, but "Dumb" AIs are handy. Even the PoA had one.

Point being, while Serina probably would have gone rampant in thirty or so years, the SoF could have survived long enough to be found.

The problem is, the SoF likely would not be running active scanning as per need to conserve power, and Cortana is likely rampant as well (plus, lacking the forward part of the ship, I don't think they even HAVE sensory equipment.)

You find a way to wedge it together, and i'll tell you if it works. I mean, you can go with it any way you want, but...

catinthemafia

Posted: Jan 31, 2010 11:54 PM    Msg. 14 of 28       
ok
first radio waves go on forever. all she had to do is send one then she'll be able to go on standby
plus you can program computers to do things with out an operator. such as a computer keeping the time while its off or an xbox downloading things while its off.
and what do you mean with out halo? the ring? or the game itself? halo 3 had the halo ring in one level. and lastly i dont think Cortana is rampant because she had to see and live with the flood. if she didnt become rampant from that, i dont think she ever will be
lastly AI's are COMPUTERS they dont breath. they dont need life support. all they need is memory and power. dont compare the future to present day, ever. Cortana could have her own sensery equipment. or she could have used the Chiefs radio equipment.

Corvette19

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 05:41 PM    Msg. 15 of 28       
He's basing facts on Halo...

vmt

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 06:40 PM    Msg. 16 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5

It's taken me 3 months to do about 80% of my 10-15 minute SP level. And that's with constant help from Gamma.

Good luck doing an entire campaign from scratch.

E: also, Serina is a "smart" AI, meaning that after a ~7 years will begin to devote too much memory towards thinking and pondering about things, and will literally think herself to death because she will forget to use memory to keep vital functions running.

Haha i so agree to the
"It's taken me 3 months to do about 80% of my 10-15 minute SP level. And that's with constant help from Gamma.
Good luck doing an entire campaign from scratch."

I worked on the Covie campaign for near 9 months by myself and i got 1 level done in that whole time(without any voice acting though) and then i lost alot of stuff on my hard drive so i know what you mean, just making the campaign it self will take you forever. But good luck
Edited by vmt on Feb 1, 2010 at 06:41 PM

FoxtrotZero

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 07:05 PM    Msg. 17 of 28       
ok
first radio waves go on forever. all she had to do is send one then she'll be able to go on standby
plus you can program computers to do things with out an operator. such as a computer keeping the time while its off or an xbox downloading things while its off.
and what do you mean with out halo? the ring? or the game itself? halo 3 had the halo ring in one level. and lastly i dont think Cortana is rampant because she had to see and live with the flood. if she didnt become rampant from that, i dont think she ever will be
lastly AI's are COMPUTERS they dont breath. they dont need life support. all they need is memory and power. dont compare the future to present day, ever. Cortana could have her own sensery equipment. or she could have used the Chiefs radio equipment.

First of all, Radio waves do not go on forever. They will dissipate within a matter of lightyears. Anywhere not in the same system would not be able to recieve the messages, and even if they would take centuries.

Its not a "Shes not acting rampant" deal. Its a proven fact that after seven years, Smart AI are structurally unstable, and will begin to become "rampant." How stable her rampancy is could be debated.

Cortana does not have her own sensory equipment, because she is nothing but code - which explains how she is able to go between, say, a ship and a Mark V MJLONIR Power Armor. The latter of which she was not in, so she could not use the chief's radio equipment. And, once more, that would be of little to no use.

Stop arguing over things about which you have no knowledge.

videoman

We are Microsoft, Resistance is Futile

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 07:35 PM    Msg. 18 of 28       
First of all...the Spirit of Fires Warp drive was destroyed when the blew up the Forerunner Shield world to destroy the forerunner ships that the Arbiter (and the Profit of Regret) had activated to vanquish the Human race. So in the campaign you re making you should not include the warp drive part because the don't have any. You would know this if you player Halo Wars. I did and beat the game, so i know a lot of the campaign story line. Just a little thing i wanted you to know. just in case you go through with this Halo 4 Campaign series.
My personal theory about what happened to the Spirit of Fire is that the was in a lock down state and the AI (Serina) was in a "Stand-by" mode (due to Captain Cutter putting her like that)
and she awoke when she sensed the rescue beacon placed by Cortana. and when Serina awoke so did all functions on the Spirit of Fire awoke from there deep slumber. As the functions came alive the crew of the Spirit of Fire came to life also (except Sargent John Forge). and as Captain Cutter walked onto the bridge Serina informs him about the rescue beacon...and that's as far as i have gotten. OH! and one more thing: the events of Halo Wars took please 22 years before Halo 3. So if you are going to make a Halo 4...please look at all of the info that is provided. and don't say stuff like: the Spirit of Fires Warp drive was not working or it was battered....because how would it not be working (or battered) if it did not even exist after the events of Halo Wars and during Halo 1-3 (and ODST).

Hope this Helped

Videoman
Edited by videoman on Feb 1, 2010 at 07:37 PM

catinthemafia

Posted: Feb 1, 2010 11:47 PM    Msg. 19 of 28       
i knew the warp drives f'd up
i knew that sense i made up the story
and just as captain cutter put serina in standby mode.
cortana could have done that same thing. i never EVER said the drive was battered or not working.
what i meant is that it appeared out of no where, but that wouldn't have made sense would it? so i said it came out of slip space, which makes more sense.
and elefant please learn to read, it really helps read the top post "if you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT"
i can and will do it, it will take about a year. i cant work on it now because im operating on a 40 2000 emachine. when i grad from 8th grade ima get a laptop of my choice. so ill have have to wait before i start. and lastly have you noticed that slayer had the only legit responce?

UnevenElefant5

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 01:11 AM    Msg. 20 of 28       
Btw just so you know, Cortana is already starting to become rampant at the end of Halo 1, after she downloaded all the data about the flood when she was put into Halo's control room. It got worse through "First Strike" and it increased during her captivity with Gravemind. By the end of Halo 3 she is getting old and likely has about 1 or 2 years at most before she becomes rampant. She would have more, but absording all the data about the flood drastically accelerated the process.

I know way too much about this game. >_>

E: also during first strike, she cloned herself at least 3 times iirc, which made it worse each time, because each copy had errors in their coding.
Edited by UnevenElefant5 on Feb 2, 2010 at 01:17 AM

vmt

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 06:52 AM    Msg. 21 of 28       
Yah but the copies didnt do anything to her right? They were just to go on the covie ship to aid mc.

Polamee

MP2SPMT's founder

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 08:02 AM    Msg. 22 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5

Stop digressing guys; this quote basically summarises the point of the topic: you can't produce a quality SP level as quickly as you think.

FoxtrotZero

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 09:48 AM    Msg. 23 of 28       
i knew the warp drives f'd up
i knew that sense i made up the story
and just as captain cutter put serina in standby mode.
cortana could have done that same thing. i never EVER said the drive was battered or not working.
what i meant is that it appeared out of no where, but that wouldn't have made sense would it? so i said it came out of slip space, which makes more sense.
and elefant please learn to read, it really helps read the top post "if you don't have anything nice to say, DON'T SAY IT"
i can and will do it, it will take about a year. i cant work on it now because im operating on a 40 2000 emachine. when i grad from 8th grade ima get a laptop of my choice. so ill have have to wait before i start. and lastly have you noticed that slayer had the only legit responce?

If you can't go into slipspace (Which you can't without a Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine) then you can't leave slipspace. And they weren't in slipspace.

And, holy crap, you're in the same grade as me? You don't make it easy to read your text, do you?

videoman

We are Microsoft, Resistance is Futile

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 06:27 PM    Msg. 24 of 28       
Apparently by what he is saying....yes it will take 4 or more years for him to just to make a Halo CE: Halo 4 Campaign. But by that time....nobody with play Halo CE or you wont be able to due to how incredible computers will be. Which means that most computer that are arriving in the coming years will not be able to even run Halo CE. Which means that Halo CE will be out of date. And if you will still have a old computer....then i will feel sorry for you in 4 or more years. Also by then, there might even by a Halo 4. But from what i have been hearing Bungie is not going to create a Halo 4....so you might be able to make it (without being sued due to copyright laws), that is if they dont make a Halo 4.

Anyways, in conclusion....if you dont start now, then its not worth making a Halo 4 game in 4 or more years.

Hope this helped

Videoman

catinthemafia

Posted: Feb 2, 2010 11:44 PM    Msg. 25 of 28       
Quote: --- Original message by: videoman
Apparently by what he is saying....yes it will take 4 or more years for him to just to make a Halo CE: Halo 4 Campaign. But by that time....nobody with play Halo CE or you wont be able to due to how incredible computers will be. Which means that most computer that are arriving in the coming years will not be able to even run Halo CE. Which means that Halo CE will be out of date. And if you will still have a old computer....then i will feel sorry for you in 4 or more years. Also by then, there might even by a Halo 4. But from what i have been hearing Bungie is not going to create a Halo 4....so you might be able to make it (without being sued due to copyright laws), that is if they dont make a Halo 4.

Anyways, in conclusion....if you dont start now, then its not worth making a Halo 4 game in 4 or more years.

Hope this helped

Videoman

it'll help alot with a resume for a game designing job

Gamma927

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 12:05 AM    Msg. 26 of 28       
You'll change your interest in four years. When I was really, really young, I wanted to be a scientist. Around 8th grade, I changed that to be a lawyer, and look at where I am now. There's no way I want to be either of those, as science has always been my worst subject (borderline A for all three semesters in high school), and I've kinda stayed dormant in Speech and Debate after someone left last year ( :( ). Odds are, you won't want to be a game designer in four years, unless you feel really passionate about making maps and stuff. In that case, I'd suggest you go begin now, and start watching tutorials on modeling and the like.

catinthemafia

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 01:12 AM    Msg. 27 of 28       
i would but media f'd up when i got the run dll virus
plus lack of memory is a problem
hope fully that will be fixed when i get my new lap top.
any suggestions for one gamma? i need one that has good memory,7,can run halo/gmax,explorer,and word. help will be thanked

roosterMAP

I am here to enhance you gaming experience

Posted: Feb 3, 2010 02:26 AM    Msg. 28 of 28       
sorry dude, but i really think ur project is WAY to ambitious. First try make ONE multiplayer map. then maybe a single player one.

What you're trying to do requires resources you dont have. Unless ur the leader of the "Black Messa" team or something, u will not get anywhere.

Here's what I suggest you do. Flesh out ideas, and plan everything. Then put all the material away. Then, in 5 years, once you have accumulated many friends and contacts tallented in CG art, you will be able to take on such an ambitious project.

sry to break it to you, but someone had to...

best of luck
-roosterMAP

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 3:15 PM 391 ms.
A Halo Maps Website