A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »source code

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next
Author Topic: source code (102 messages, Page 1 of 3)
Moderators: Dennis

Molonky500

Xfire;killermax5

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 09:39 PM    Msg. 1 of 102       
http://www.bungie.net/forums/posts.aspx?postID=41323130&viewreplies=true lol something slayer 117 posted that i wanted to share with this comunity

Slayer117

Host of CE3 2010-forever!

Posted: Feb 14, 2010 09:40 PM    Msg. 2 of 102       
You beat me to the forum lol.

oh well any way come one guys let Sawnose hear us let them give us the source code.

Molonky500

Xfire;killermax5

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 09:20 PM    Msg. 3 of 102       
haha i was going for that

DarkZealot

Time management: 40% Xbox, 30% PC, 30% Skating

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 09:47 PM    Msg. 4 of 102       
Yeah good luck with that. Even if does get released the time it would take to add any small modification would take probably a few months. And only about 0.43% of the community know anything about editing any type of non-Halo related code.

Slayer117

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 09:49 PM    Msg. 5 of 102       
i wouldnt say that. its not that much different from making apps or stuff in open sauce. and there alot of people on this site who has talent like this. so I'm sure if they do give it to us osme one will crack it.

DarkZealot

Time management: 40% Xbox, 30% PC, 30% Skating

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 09:55 PM    Msg. 6 of 102       
Key word there: If. While yes, this seems like a small thing for them to release to you, for them it means a loss of money. Yeah, who buys CE nowadays? But, releasing the source code would just negate the purpose of buying either Halo PC or CE, seeing that with the source code available they could just acquire it like that.

I'm not totally criticizing you, I'm just saying that there are more reasons for them not to release it then there are to. Yeah, some stuff could evolve it, but when you are trying to talk to a corporate giant like Microsoft, understand that your chances are probably slim to none.

Slayer117

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 09:58 PM    Msg. 7 of 102       
Thats the thing Bungie and M$ are big time money makers

but there is one game company that has all ther games open sourced: Steam. but they keep making money off their games. so why would Bungie quit making money off pc exactly?

Co1t3r

Posted: Feb 15, 2010 11:17 PM    Msg. 8 of 102       
Valve doesn't open source their games. They give specific mod teams portions of their code.

Slayer117

Posted: Feb 16, 2010 06:58 PM    Msg. 9 of 102       
Bungie dosnt own the code

so Come on my fellow gamers lets tell Microsoft this is a good idea. get up and follow me.

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/11084.aspx

SiMuLaCrUm

too digital

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 12:11 AM    Msg. 10 of 102       
Not going to happen regardless of how little money M$ makes from HPC.

Also, Sawnose's post in the B.net thread makes sense. Utter chaos would break out in the community if they did release the code. It would become a giant mess and not much would really come out of it. Let the game live as it is until it's dying breath when it is buried by the blizzard that is the gaming industry.

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 08:24 AM    Msg. 11 of 102       
going open-source with the code? I support it.
just look at Freespace 2, love the improvements in graphics and other stuff....

but of course, microsoft owns the code, so.....:(
ps.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=152.0
(the project seems dead though....)

Advancebo

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 01:49 PM    Msg. 12 of 102       
Quote: --- Original message by: SiMuLaCrUm
Not going to happen regardless of how little money M$ makes from HPC.

Also, Sawnose's post in the B.net thread makes sense. Utter chaos would break out in the community if they did release the code. It would become a giant mess and not much would really come out of it. Let the game live as it is until it's dying breath when it is buried by the blizzard that is the gaming industry.

What chaos? Theres only so many people in the community that can code.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 02:42 PM    Msg. 13 of 102       
Releasing the src to halo would bring an insane number of people back to halo. just because its halo.

Slayer117

Posted: Feb 17, 2010 04:59 PM    Msg. 14 of 102       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xel
Lol guys keep goin' on 'n' then your gonna knock on Bill Gates' door soon xD^^

Damn Right son!

randomteddybear

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 12:43 AM    Msg. 15 of 102       
I would come back to help if it was released
Edited by randomteddybear on Feb 19, 2010 at 01:07 AM

Asiangodx2

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 02:24 PM    Msg. 16 of 102       
could bullet lag be eliminated?

Ninjadude

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 03:19 PM    Msg. 17 of 102       
All lag would be eliminated. yeah right.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 03:26 PM    Msg. 18 of 102       
Releasing the source code would be just as useless like open sauce is.

Slayer117

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 03:51 PM    Msg. 19 of 102       
Il Dunce are you not that smart? With the source code we could remake the game itself.

il Duce Primo

CMT Team Leader

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 03:55 PM    Msg. 20 of 102       
Who would be able to do that? If you are interested in doing that then there are so many other open sourced engines. Plus things like fixing netcode would never work because how would you implement a way for everyone to get that patch? It's just not practicle.

EDIT: make a personal attack at me because I used logic.. yea ok im dumb.
Edited by il Duce Primo on Feb 19, 2010 at 03:56 PM

SwordMa5ster

Come get some!!!

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 04:47 PM    Msg. 21 of 102       
^^^
Thats pretty much what sawnose was saying. If the source code was released there would probally end up being a bunch of different versions of the game all running a different source code. But for the people here at halomaps it would work out I think because Dennis could just upload the patch and everyone here on halomaps could have the same version.

Slayer117

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 05:37 PM    Msg. 22 of 102       
Thats already happening. ever since halo was updated to 1.02 people have been on diffrent patches. There are 3x the amount of people on 1.00 then 1.09. Any way if the source was to be released i think youd have to buy it. so if you are skilled with gaming engines you would want to buy it. if your so so at it you wouldnt. Make the source code like 50 bucks same price as a new game. So basicaly you and Sawnose hate updates. cause everytime an update comes from Bungie people are on diffrent Versions.

like Open Sauce the updates wouldnt be really that much of a big deal. if you wanted to you could make a dedi server just for AI maps. but you could just turn it off and go back to 1.09 or 1.00 w/e you please.

SwordMa5ster

Come get some!!!

Posted: Feb 19, 2010 11:58 PM    Msg. 23 of 102       
Your right there are people who are running different versions. The difference is that Bungie is only one source so there aren't that many different versions, and although the versions are different the diffrences between them are usually not that different. If the source code was released though there would be multiple sources and each diiferent version could be incredibly different then the other versions. I really would like it if they released the source code I love CE it was really the first game that got me into gaming and I would like to see what people could do to change it and revive it, but since microsoft owns the source code I don't think it'll happen.
Edited by SwordMa5ster on Feb 20, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 11:30 AM    Msg. 24 of 102       
Why would we buy this crappy engine, when we could just as easily get an open sourced engine from elsewhere?

UnevenElefant5

she/her this fag bashes back

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 12:09 PM    Msg. 25 of 102       
Quote: --- Original message by: Slayer117
Il Dunce are you not that smart? With the source code we could remake the game itself.

Yeah, maybe we could, but that doesn't mean anyone WILL.

Lone Warrior

-Himalayan Wizard and Mystical Guru of the Mts.-

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 01:39 PM    Msg. 26 of 102       
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5

Yeah, maybe we could, but that doesn't mean anyone WILL.

It's better than not having the option to do it at all. Even if no one currently in the community wont, doesn't mean someone wont come along and do it. Or even someone in the community might learn coding just to try.

With your logic that's like "Don't bother releasing the EK, as no one knows how to map".

People do learn you know. I know its impossible to see in this community though............

The main problem with the source code is, as Sawnose said, too many varients would appear. Thus seperating the game and the community. I can see the logic behind this. But, if you look at the other Open Source Games/Engines, you can see how they work. With Source Code, I'm not proposing we edit the original game in any way, that would be madness(Inb4 Sparta). It would, as I said, seperate and fragment the community. But, if the Source Code game was installed or placed in such a way that it didn't over-write the default game, it'd be as if you were working on your own game. An expansion or add-on if you will.

In my opinion discussing this on forums or internet boards isn't going to get us very far. It was already pointed out that we had to talk to MS about the Source Code. So I think the first step would be to send some sort of e-mail regarding the Source. And see what the reply is. Even ask Gearbox about it.

UnevenElefant5

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 01:52 PM    Msg. 27 of 102       
Quote: --- Original message by: Lone Warrior
It's better than not having the option to do it at all. Even if no one currently in the community wont, doesn't mean someone wont come along and do it. Or even someone in the community might learn coding just to try.
I didn't say it wasn't better. I'm all for releasing the source code, I'm just pointing out that very few people know how to use it, and of the people that do, even fewer would be willing to dedicate their time to revamping a ~6 year old engine.

With your logic that's like "Don't bother releasing the EK, as no one knows how to map".
That's not my logic at all :V I even voted yes on that bungie.net poll, I think you read my post wrong, see the above.

Edited by UnevenElefant5 on Feb 20, 2010 at 01:53 PM

Lone Warrior

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 02:02 PM    Msg. 28 of 102       

I didn't say it wasn't better. I'm all for releasing the source code, I'm just pointing out that very few people know how to use it, and of the people that do, even fewer would be willing to dedicate their time to revamping a ~6 year old engine. Yes very few people don't know how to use it, but what makes you think they wont learn? Or even if they don't, what makes you think it wont attract people to the community who will? Granted, it's a slim chance. But at this stage, we really have nothing to lose as a Community.

That's not my logic at all :V I even voted yes on that bungie.net poll, I think you read my post wrong, see the above. See the above.

Edited by UnevenElefant5 on Feb 20, 2010 at 01:53 PM

Edited by Lone Warrior on Feb 20, 2010 at 02:03 PM

UnevenElefant5

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 02:50 PM    Msg. 29 of 102       
Yes very few people don't know how to use it, but what makes you think they wont learn? Or even if they don't, what makes you think it wont attract people to the community who will? Granted, it's a slim chance. But at this stage, we really have nothing to lose as a Community

Uhh, what makes me think they won't learn is the average age and maturity level of some people here. I'm not ruling out the possibility, I only meant to say that I doubt it will happen.

Lone Warrior

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 02:57 PM    Msg. 30 of 102       
Yes very few people don't know how to use it, but what makes you think they wont learn? Or even if they don't, what makes you think it wont attract people to the community who will? Granted, it's a slim chance. But at this stage, we really have nothing to lose as a Community

Uhh, what makes me think they won't learn is the average age and maturity level of some people here. I'm not ruling out the possibility, I only meant to say that I doubt it will happen.

Cant argue with that. The community here does need to grow up.

FlyAwayNow

Triage at Dawn

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 02:59 PM    Msg. 31 of 102       
The source code will be relaesed, but long after we lose intrest in this game.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 03:09 PM    Msg. 32 of 102       
Quote: --- Original message by: FlyAwayNow
The source code will be relaesed, but long after we lose intrest in this game.

It's Halo were talking about, and Microsoft. There's no way that they would ever release it for a game that is big as Halo. I'm all for it, but in essence im perfectly content with what the engine can do now, becuase it still works and looks pretty decent.

Slayer117

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 11:56 PM    Msg. 33 of 102       
Yeah I know I was just thinking it would be neat to have it. We dont need i was just stating what we could do with it and how it could expand the power of modeling this game.

Slayer117

Posted: Feb 21, 2010 12:28 AM    Msg. 34 of 102       
We've already Evolved it. look at the maps we have now way better game play better graphics and more Pollys better guns. so tell me if thats not evolving a game or not.

and with the source code we could fix lag which in my case i know of a friend who is working on a new game engine who could probably simply fix this one in less then a month.

So tell me again Xel how has this game not Evolved?

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Feb 21, 2010 12:33 AM    Msg. 35 of 102       
Quote: --- Original message by: Xel

He's kinda smart...you're talking about evloving Halo...talking about evloving something that was made by about 20 professional programmers. haz fun

Yeah, 20 professional people making it from scratch. I bet a couple people in this community would be able to do some nice things with the engine.

Page 1 of 3 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 13, 2019 1:13 AM 375 ms.
A Halo Maps Website