A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Halo Reach Multiplayer First Look

Page 3 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · Prev · Next
Author Topic: Halo Reach Multiplayer First Look (159 messages, Page 3 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

Bokito

Playing ODST since 09-21-09

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:25 AM    Msg. 71 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Nexus Halo
Quote: --- Original message by: Eden
This isn't the first time we've seen jetpacks. In Halo 2 you fight two jetpack Heretic elites, and in Halo 3 you fight jet pack Brutes. And I would say the jetpacks in Halo Reach isn't about pressing a button and flying wherever. I would imagine it's similar to the Grav Lift equipment from Halo 3. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see it in action, because right now, we have no idea how the jetpack works.

I wouldn't think it would be an equipment because a jet pack wouldn't normally destroy itself. Sure we have seen the Jet Pack before but that was only for AI. It's going to change game play a lot. Not only will you have to worry about a newb in camo running around with a rocket launcher, now you'll have to worry about a newb in camo FLYING around with a rocket launcher. Chances are it will be a vehicle. It wouldn't make sense for it to be a Armour add-on unless it has a recharge like sprinting in COD.

You can only have 1 armor ability at the time. Which means either camo OR jetpack. Every ability has a recharge time, so you use it for a limited time, then it recharges for I don't know how long, and then you can activate it again.

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:28 AM    Msg. 72 of 159       
I think for Camo they should make it to where you lose your shield for the duration of invisibility. Also, the jet pack can be useful, but it also makes you stick out like a sore thumb. In other words, you're pistol bait.

Bokito

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:31 AM    Msg. 73 of 159       
If you watched closely in the trailer, you can see that it's not the super camo that you see in halo 3, it's more like 'half' camo, which basically means a pretty sucky version. You wouldn't need loss of shields, mainly because you're still spottable.

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:36 AM    Msg. 74 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: DEEhunter
Hey guys is halo 2 out yet? I heard it's the best but people say it is just a copy of halo 1.

Halo 2 had a pretty decent multiplayer, however the campaign could of been better. There was alot of downfalls in it. One of the things was how they told the story. It was dumb.

kirby_422

Apparently public enemy number 1?

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 10:59 AM    Msg. 75 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Marka Haiyana
I disagree with Gamma, as I prefer games for their feel and functionality and replayability over graphics.

Yes, I prefer the gameplay over graphics, thats why I sit there and script random new things for HCE that change things up. its not about the graphics, its about functionality (which is probly why ive been staying with HCE instead of finishing playing threw H3 nad ODST on my xbox (yes.. ive had those for like half a year, and I havnt bothered finishing either of them yet lol))

Super Nintendo probly has the best games, so on my PSP, instead of playing PSP games, I play SNES games.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 11:06 AM    Msg. 76 of 159       
I disagree with Gamma, as I prefer games for their feel and functionality and replayability over graphics.

-______-

My point wasn't that the graphics looked like a cartoon. My point was that the whole GAME overall seemed less like a visceral combat situation, pitting a desperately losing humanity against a merciless onslaught of alien troops, and more like "oh, you haz kewl new armor and allies. now go beat teh shiz out of teh enemies".

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 01:03 PM    Msg. 77 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927

-______-

My point wasn't that the graphics looked like a cartoon. My point was that the whole GAME overall seemed less like a visceral combat situation, pitting a desperately losing humanity against a merciless onslaught of alien troops, and more like "oh, you haz kewl new armor and allies. now go beat teh shiz out of teh enemies".

This has been brought to my mind as well. I wonder how well the Elites will utterly pwn the marines to keep that effect. Also, Gamma, it was the fact that the Covenant could just glass the planet even if their troops utterly failed. In other words, I wonder how they will implement the scariest Covenant feature into an FPS game on the ground.

Bokito

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 12:31 PM    Msg. 78 of 159       
I think the gritty feeling is mostly with the campaign part of the game. Halo's multiplayer has always been a little cartoony because of the shiny armor colors.

aDirtyShisno213

ohai der

Posted: Mar 13, 2010 09:24 PM    Msg. 79 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Quote: --- Original message by: ODX
So far Halo reach looks pretty goddamn meh. we already know the story bungie, read " The Fall of Reach", a book based of your own game.
You uh...you know that almost nothing in that book is going to be in this game, right?...

The game revolves around the fall of reach from another perspective, its not like we dont know the overall story already though. Its a stupid idea, and half the crap they've put into the game isn't canon. There just milking the game. I like bungie, I like there engine, and I like Halo, but seriously, what the hell are they thinking.
Honestly, who are you to decide what is and isn't canon? Bungie invented the damn fiction, they can do what they want.

Don't be afraid of change.

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 04:12 PM    Msg. 80 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: aDirtyShisno213
So far Halo reach looks pretty goddamn meh. we already know the story bungie, read " The Fall of Reach", a book based of your own game.
You uh...you know that almost nothing in that book is going to be in this game, right?...

The game revolves around the fall of reach from another perspective, its not like we dont know the overall story already though. Its a stupid idea, and half the crap they've put into the game isn't canon. There just milking the game. I like bungie, I like there engine, and I like Halo, but seriously, what the hell are they thinking.
Honestly, who are you to decide what is and isn't canon? Bungie invented the damn fiction, they can do what they want.

This. Higuy, you're basically saying that the creators of a game can't say what is canon because you don't understand WHY it's canon. If you don't believe the SIII thing, then I want you to do something. Go to your local bookstore. Go find the Halo Encyclopedia previously published. Find the Spartan III section. Read. The answers are there. Not all SIII's were killed before Reach. Noble team, for example, was rerouted from one of the companies. It says in the encyclopedia that Gamma was split up when Onyx was activated:

"The Gamma Company Spartan-IIIs had completed their augmentations and many had been given missions elsewhere in the war when the Shield World of Onyx activated."

Joshflighter

Former CMT Team Co-Leader

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 04:19 PM    Msg. 81 of 159       
If its an epic idea with a new twist and new things, then its canon.

If its a repeat of an already epic title with features that other games have, in other words, "not new".. then its not canon. SUCK ON THAT!
Wait, dont suck on it D=

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 04:25 PM    Msg. 82 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Joshflighter
If its an epic idea with a new twist and new things, then its canon.

If its a repeat of an already epic title with features that other games have, in other words, "not new".. then its not canon. SUCK ON THAT!
Wait, dont suck on it D=

Wait, since when did Reach have stuff other games had? It was my understanding that Halo Reach's features were all original. Loadouts are the only thing that remotely like something from another game (I know you're thinking perks in CoD4), but they are VERY different and are more like preloaded equipment you can have ONE AT A TIME.

xXDRAGONXx

He who dares, wins.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 01:13 AM    Msg. 83 of 159       
This time it should be better than H2 & H3.

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 01:57 AM    Msg. 84 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003

This. Higuy, you're basically saying that the creators of a game can't say what is canon because you don't understand WHY it's canon. If you don't believe the SIII thing, then I want you to do something. Go to your local bookstore. Go find the Halo Encyclopedia previously published. Find the Spartan III section. Read. The answers are there. Not all SIII's were killed before Reach. Noble team, for example, was rerouted from one of the companies. It says in the encyclopedia that Gamma was split up when Onyx was activated:
"The Gamma Company Spartan-IIIs had completed their augmentations and many had been given missions elsewhere in the war when the Shield World of Onyx activated."

Too bad the Halo Encyclepedia has a ton of errors in it, and should not be called a reliable source.

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 04:15 PM    Msg. 85 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: RougeSpartan414

Too bad the Halo Encyclepedia has a ton of errors in it, and should not be called a reliable source.

But it also has a ton of reliable and true statements as well.

darkassassin14

El. Psy. Congroo.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 04:37 PM    Msg. 86 of 159       
yea its a shield world like in halo wars. its hollow on the inside with a mini sun in the middle.

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 05:02 PM    Msg. 87 of 159       
Where'd did you get that from?
A highly doubt they would remove the normal melee. More like holding down the melee button to begin the assassination sequence, then just a normal tap of the melee button for regular melees.

SwordMa5ster

Come get some!!!

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 05:30 PM    Msg. 88 of 159       
No they do have both melee systems the assasination sequence and the standard quick melee. In order to get the assasination sequence you have to hold down the melee button but if you just hit it normally it will be a regular melee.
Edited by SwordMa5ster on Mar 17, 2010 at 05:32 PM

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 05:39 PM    Msg. 89 of 159       
And I'm pretty sure they said that in the ViDoc.

Also:

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 06:16 PM    Msg. 90 of 159       
They're catching up with Source Engine.

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 06:42 PM    Msg. 91 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dwood
They're catching up with Source Engine.

Err, no. The water since Halo3 has been incredible, probably past that of Source.

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 07:28 PM    Msg. 92 of 159       
Quote: Making a Splash - Bungie Weekly Update 3/12/2010
I definitely donít get as moist looking at our water tech as our old pal Frankie did. Iím more of a gameplay sort of guy. When I go wading into the engine, I wanna know about stuff like field of view, rate of fire, and how the current health and shield systems function. But I canít deny that the H2O rolling out of Powerhouse is pretty slick and impressive. It certainly warrants a trickle of lip service.

From the dam spillway beneath Powerhouseís catwalks, crystal clear water now pours through metal grating, splashing down into the concrete channel below. From there it playfully rolls through the narrow outlet, a vibrant rush of shimmering aquamarine that, to my amazement, appears to pick up tints and tones from the surrounding concrete before making a swift, foamy run down the sun soaked chute into the large, central pool below.

Goldsworthy tells me that my mind may be playing tricks on me. Though the water is in a near final state, the effects Iím imagining are really a technical mixture of bump mapping, tessellation, and other technical tricks that are apparently well outside the realm of my understanding. Explains the confused look on my face as he sloshed the details my way.

All I know is that it looks incredible. The reflection and shimmering atop the water is naturally more visible and pronounced where the sunlight skins the surface and the refraction adds a near photo-realistic and completely hypnotic effect to the water whether Iím peering out across it or leering down through it. The waves rhythmically lap, swell, and undulate. Hell, I think I even saw a rainbow forming in some mist. No joke.

Splashing around in the pools of water forms small eddies. Tossing a grenade into them produces a satisfying sploosh followed closely by a sizeable plume that sends concentric, white capped waves rippling away from the point of impact. Set a hill in it and the colorized bottom edge seen in the trailer actually rests atop the rolling waves and repositions accordingly so itís not submerged and hidden, but still completely visible. Itís a difficult effect to describe, but trust me, it looks impressive.

Most impressive.

Quote: Go Boom - Bungie Weekly Update 3/12/2010
And since weíre talking about lobbing grenades, I should note that the team has added a pretty slick new mechanism to the fragmentation fold. Now when you lob a pineapple towards some unsuspecting schmuck camping around the corner, youíll notice the Bouchon assembly has a small, orange tracer attached to it. Not only can you pick up incoming frags much easier with a quick glance, if you look carefully, youíll also notice that the tracer is actually emitting light that has an effect upon the surrounding environment. So, even if you happen to have your audio system muted, youíll still be able to pick up on grenades that prime near your position.

Edited by Advancebo on Mar 17, 2010 at 07:28 PM

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 07:32 PM    Msg. 93 of 159       
What's with the frag part? If you're thinking it, they DO NOT mean you can pick up and throw frags like CoD.

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 07:40 PM    Msg. 94 of 159       
I'm pretty sure they do :B

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 07:44 PM    Msg. 95 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Advancebo

They mean that you can pickup their location as in you know where they are. It's like someone says you've picked up on what is going on.

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 07:52 PM    Msg. 96 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Advancebo

They mean that you can pickup their location as in you know where they are. It's like someone says you've picked up on what is going on.

Lets say its both and be happy with it :B

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 07:37 PM    Msg. 97 of 159       
Quote: Shacknews - 3/18/2010

The beta test for Halo: Reach is set to begin on May 3 for owners of Halo 3: ODST. Until today, Bungie has been tight-lipped about new features and improvements coming to Reach's multiplayer game, releasing only one multiplayer trailer. Yesterday, I spoke with the team at Bungie for a preview of some of the new features for Halo: Reach's multiplayer offering, including Active Roster, Queue-Joining, and the extremely exciting "Arena" system.

Halo Reach's New UI

Now, I've played a good amount of Halo 3 and Bungie's plans for Reach have me extremely excited. What follows will be pretty in-depth and assume some knowledge of Halo 3's multiplayer, but I'll try to explain things in as much detail as possible. New Features:

* Active Roster - This is a throwback to Halo 2. When you boot up Reach, right at the main menu or lobby, you'll see a list of what your Xbox Live friends are doing within Reach. You'll get detailed information about any friends playing Reach including who they are partied with, what game they are in (plus score and remaining time), and more.

* Basically, Bungie wants to make it so that you do not have to utilize the Xbox Live Guide to find out what your buddies are doing in Reach.
Queue-Joining - In Halo 3, it was difficult to join friends that were already playing in a match. You had to wait until they were finished. If you started a game while you waited, they would then have to wait for you. Instead of going back and forth, Reach will support queue-joining. Simply put, Reach will automatically join up as soon as your friends are joinable.
Improved Voting System - Halo: Reach will utilize a new voting system, which Bungie described as "Veto 2.0". Each playlist will provide players with four options. The first will be a combination of map and gametype, much like you would see in Halo 3. The other three options will offer players additional choices to vote on. Thankfully, you'll know up front what your four options are so you no longer have to risk voting down a favored map, but unfavored gametype and getting an unfavored combination.

* Behind-the-scenes, a lot of work has been done to give more flexibility to the playlist designers. A designer could, for example, ensure that the first choice is always Team Slayer on a set of 3 popular maps, but offer different gametypes in the additional choices.
Arena Playlists - Possibly the largest change coming in Halo: Reach is the Arena. This is a Slayer and Team Slayer set of playlists entirely geared toward the hardcore. If that wasn't enough, players will be rated and placed into skill divisions in month-long seasons.
The rating system is smart enough to realize that kills aren't the other determining factor behind skill. This is especially true for team games where assists play a huge roll. Similarly, players that have a greater kill/death ratio (had more kills than deaths) will rank higher than players that die as much as they kill.
The divisions are Onyx, Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Steel. It is possible to move up or down within a single season. To qualify for ranking, players will have to play a certain number of games a day to gain a "Daily Ranking", which will be an average of a player's best games from the day. To get a divisional ranking and compete in a season, players will need a certain number of Daily Rankings.

* Casual gametypes will not appear in Arena playlists. You won't be seeing Rocket Race or Fiesta here. Even though Arena is geared toward top-level players, it should help less skilled players avoid being matched up against people they have no chance of winning against.
Ranked and Social Combined - Since the hardcore will be in the Arena, Bungie doesn't want to further splinter the community. In Halo 3, Ranked and Social playlists served two different purposes. Ranked games were generally of a higher quality, while social games were more casual.
In Reach, the playlists will be smart enough to put you and your party in the proper match based upon how many players you have. Say you're looking for a game in a four-on-four playlist. If you bring four people, Reach will attempt to match your team against another group of four at a similar skill level. If you go in with more than four, it will properly split your party across the teams and fill in the blanks with additional players.
Streamlined Party-Up - After a Halo 3 match, players were presented with the option to "Party Up" and merge lobbies with all willing players. In Reach, it will be an opt-out system. After a match, players will be kept together and it will automatically roll into looking for the next match. The system is flexible enough to allow Bungie to determine, per playlist, whether to keep a team together and find a new set of opponents or keep an entire game together and move onto the next map.

*Matchmaking Connection Options - The options for finding games in matchmaking will be more open to the player, if they so choose. If you only ever want to play in games with a good connection, that can be set in the options. If you only ever want to play against players of a similar skill, that can be set. The same goes for finding players that speak to same language. Social Settings - In addition to these connection options, players can rate themselves along four axes to add another layer of criteria to the matchmaking. These won't trump anything else, but it will help Bungie build better teams. Players will define their playstyle in the following four categories:
+ Teamwork - Team Player vs. Lone Wolf
+ Motivation - Winning vs. Having Fun
+ Chattiness - Chatty vs. Quiet
+ Tone - Polite vs. Rowdy

* This allows Bungie, for example, to try and build a team of chatty, polite, team-playing, winners in serious playlists.

These new features are a huge part of Halo: Reach and should help foster a better community than Halo 3 or Halo 2. Personally, I'm extremely excited about the Arena system. I've been having a lot of fun in the StarCraft II beta test with Blizzard's Leagues & Ladders system. Arena is the same concept. It should also help alleviate the epidemic of smurfing (creating new Xbox Live accounts) to give maxed out players something to do in Halo 3. Instead of starting over, destroying noobs and reclimbing the skill charts, these top-level players will be encouraged to play season-after-season in the Arena and be meaningfully compared to each other. It's a system that has been a long-time-coming to a first-person shooter.
Look for more coverage on Halo: Reach from Shacknews soon and get ready for the beta, which begins on May 3rd. The full game will be released exclusively for the Xbox 360 this fall. See you online!

sargejohnson

Shall we play a game?

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:22 PM    Msg. 98 of 159       
reach's multiplayer format seems to be somewhat getting closer to COD MW2, especially in terms of matchmaking.
wish i had an xbox, the multiplayer seems damn good for one thing....:(

Geo

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 11:40 PM    Msg. 99 of 159       
I hope its good... Halo 3s multiplayer was apparently supposed to be great too... So much for that.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 01:53 AM    Msg. 100 of 159       
Whats so wrong with it? It's far better than H1's tape and glue mp, and H2's multiplayer was a huge mess of it's on.

Bokito

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 07:50 AM    Msg. 101 of 159       
Those Halo Reach Matchmaking options look pretty awesome. Big improvement for the veto system too, now you now what you're gonna get, instead of the "this gametype/map sucks, lets veto. Oh wait, now it's even suckier" situation. Didn't know what Active Roster was, but judging from this could be pretty handy. That Queue joining would be a big improvement, since joining someone would often be pretty annoying. Don't think I'll use the arena much, mainly because I'm not extremely good/mlg/etc and I'd just get my ass kicked. Though it could be a pretty nice addition. About the assassination, I think you'll only pull of a real, immediate kill assasination when you hold it, but it'll be a normal melee, with the same damage as a normal melee to the face and stuff. And they're just talking about seeing the grenades, not picking them up (picking something up and picking up on something are 2 different things.). Overall, it just keeps looking better.
Edited by Bokito on Mar 19, 2010 at 07:50 AM

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 09:52 AM    Msg. 102 of 159       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Whats so wrong with it? It's far better than H1's tape and glue mp, and H2's multiplayer was a huge mess of it's on.

I agree. Halo2 was always unfair in several scenarios and the netcode in Halo PC was murder. Halo3 was the most balanced of the three so far. I think Reach with supersede that though.

Lateksi

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 10:02 AM    Msg. 103 of 159       
Reach seems to have pretty good matchmaking options IMO.
I have to disagree with Masters about H3's matchmaking. Along with Halo 2, Halo 3's matchmaking or more like waiting experience was the dumbest crap ever. I don't know why you're comparing Halo CE to H3 as it didn't have online MP. If you mean the PC version, then even without parties, a friend list or a voting system a server list is superior.

Also, anyone see Boarding Action in the Sword Base map?

Corvette19

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 04:18 PM    Msg. 104 of 159       
Why send me PM with that shiz??
Why post this in the topic??
Wtf??

Higuy

@lucasgovatos

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 04:24 PM    Msg. 105 of 159       
Halo 1 is the best multiplayer, then H2. I hated h3's mp alot, just didnt seem as fun as the other ones are.

Page 3 of 5 Go to page: · 1 · 2 · [3] · 4 · 5 · Prev · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu August 22, 2019 12:01 AM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website