A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Single Player Silent Cartographer Contest!

Page 1 of 5 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · Next
Author Topic: Single Player Silent Cartographer Contest! (173 messages, Page 1 of 5)
Moderators: Dennis

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 06:49 PM    Msg. 1 of 173       
I thought this would be a good way to get a movement for more Single Player maps in the community. This contest is more of a challenge: who can make the best Single Player Mod out of the BSPs from the Silent Cartographer (B30)? The level itself is very versatile and I think it's a good place to start for a fun contest. The reward you gain is to experience different varieties of Single Player and notoriety of your abilities and you may even learn a thing or two! No, this is not part of my project I've been working on, but it was brought up while I was using the BSPs to test some features for my project.

There are two Sections so far: Contending and Special. Contending means the map follows all rules or passes inspection. The Special section is like a Guest appearance. In this section, I will have my own mod and any other maps that are mods of b30 or its BSPs that are outside the rules, yet are wanted to be shown are here.

So how about some rules, eh:

-You must use the BSPs of the map Silent Cartographer or b30 (as it is professionally known).

-You must have a specific objective or objectives to complete and some way for the player to know what they are. In other words, you can't just spawn the player in the middle of no where and have him running across the map with one AI to find and supposedly defeat.

-The player CANNOT take flight in an aerial vehicle and have a dogfight.

-You can use whatever weapons/bipeds/effects/vehicles/etc you want to, just as long as you credit the creators of said items.

-The enemy can use anything. The rules about aircraft for them do not apply here.

You are graded on three different levels:

1.) Technical:
-AI (make your AI useful, meaningful, and thoughtfully placed).
-UI (as in, HUD messages and alarming the player of objectives).
-Cutscenes (this category is based on whether you have it or not. Basically, it's you get it or you don't).

*AI grades are not based off of how smart they. I'm talking about the actual setup.

2.) Gameplay:
-Fun (the more fun it is, the better the grade)
-Creativity (self-explanatory)
-Strategy (Is the game fun or just pray and spray?)

3.) Functionality:
-Are weapons effective (Effective Weaponry)?
-Consistency (figure this one out on your own)?
-Is it balanced in terms of AI vs. Player (Balance)?

On each level, you have a category. Each is graded out of 10. It will all be out of 100. The community decides the last 10 points. 90 + 10 = 100. Dah. The contest will end on May 1st.

If you have any questions, say so in this thread. You may work in teams. Remember the rules!

Useful Notes:

-You can use any tags you want as long as they follow the rules.

-If you have a BSP (such as a ship hanging out above) that leads onto the island BSPs and there is no fighting until you reach the island, then I will allow it.

-THE SP MUST BE FROM SCRATCH USING THE BSPS!

-BELOW IS THE FORMAT IN WHICH VOTING WILL BE CONDUCTING.
Quote:
Actually, counting votes is as simple here as there. Voting is not like "I THINK ITS GOOD" in this contest. Voting is done by scoring. The map with the best scores wins. For example:

B30 Mod by DarkHalo003:

Voter: E-76

Technical:
-AI: 8
-UI: 10
-Cutscenes: 10

Gameplay:
Fun: 9
Creativity/Originality: 7
Strategy: 8

Functionality:
Effective Weaponry: 10
Consistency: 8
Balance: 7

^This is how Judging/Voting will be done. If you don't like it, well tough. Everyone will vote this way. This is the format in which voting will be done.

A little bit in a nut shell:
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003

The rules are CLEAR on the front page. If the rules say something can't happen, then it can't. The fact remains that YOU MUST USE THE B30 BSPs. But what does this mean exactly? I'll tell you:

-You must use the B30 BSPs and have them ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE to your SP. Read the title. THIS IS A CONTEST FOR THE SILENT CARTOGRAPHER SINGLE PLAYER LEVEL.

-I am ALLOWING the use of other BSPs as long as AT LEAST ONE of the B30 BSPs are used in some contributing way. What does this mean? Just having a five second filming of the island of the Silent Cartographer does not cut it. YOU HAVE TO SET FOOT ON THE ISLAND and continue on from there.

-If the rules do not cover a subject and you are concerned about it to your fullest intentions, then either express your concern IN A WELL MANNERED AND WRITTEN way. If you cannot in the thread, then please Private Message me about your concerns.

Edited by DarkHalo003 on Apr 20, 2010 at 07:42 PM

shadowslayer123

Not the american average

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 07:09 PM    Msg. 2 of 173       
im definently gonna give it a shot, one question though, can a player be taken by a vehicle and dropped off somewhere else, like you are mc, you hop in a pelican, and you get transported to the control room.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 07:16 PM    Msg. 3 of 173       
-You must use the BSPs of the map Silent Cartographer or b30 (as it is professionally known).

shadowslayer123

Not the american average

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 07:19 PM    Msg. 4 of 173       
i meant cartographer room, or wherever else in the level i want to get transported to

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 07:29 PM    Msg. 5 of 173       
Quote: --- Original message by: Dratt

Man I would sooooo win this contest If Gamma or Lodex didnt enter
but
!

That rule makes me lose. Im using DangerCanyon, and I follow like every rule but that one. DARNIT! Im not going to stop working on my DC project just for this one though.
I wouldnt mind helping someone though

ftfy

sierra117

If sex is good exercise, why are there fat sluts?

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 07:30 PM    Msg. 6 of 173       
i would like to take part in this. Though even though ive noticed that you must use the b30 bsp's.
Quick questions:

• do we have to use both the b30a & b. Or can we just use one like only the exterior /vice versa

• can we use other bsp's aswell? (eg b40, c10 etc.)

• would using the classic tagset change the grades, other than maybe the users decision? Or must we use a custom tagset?

• i saw that you cant have a dogfight with the player. But can i have one with human & covenant ai. But the player is under the fight, like on the ground whilst the dogfight is being played?

• can i haz cookie? :P

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 07:50 PM    Msg. 7 of 173       
Quote: --- Original message by: sierra117
i would like to take part in this. Though even though ive noticed that you must use the b30 bsp's.
Quick questions:

• do we have to use both the b30a & b. Or can we just use one like only the exterior /vice versa

• would using the classic tagset change the grades, other than maybe the users decision? Or must we use a custom tagset?

• i saw that you cant have a dogfight with the player. But can i have one with human & covenant ai. But the player is under the fight, like on the ground whilst the dogfight is being played?

1.) Yes. It is up to you entirely.

2.) No.

3.) You can use any tagset you wish as long as you properly credit the creators.

4.) Yes. If your computer can handle it.

5.) That's what the grading is for!

@shadowslayer: Whatever uses the BSPs and you find creative or fun.
Edited by DarkHalo003 on Mar 7, 2010 at 07:51 PM

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 07:55 PM    Msg. 8 of 173       
Why is it limited to just that one BSP? Then we will just see a load of B30 SP maps

Because the map itself is very versatile and unique. So much can be done with it.

Masters1337

halonaminator's unfortunate idol

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 08:04 PM    Msg. 9 of 173       
**releases SPV2 B30 Beta**

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 08:04 PM    Msg. 10 of 173       

Why is the deadline so soon, it would take me until May/June to create a somewhat nice SP map on B30, even if I wasnt working on another project already.
Edited by Dratt on Mar 7, 2010 at 08:03 PM

Well it should be nothing complicated. However, if y'all want me to extend it I will.

1 vote to extend.

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 08:10 PM    Msg. 11 of 173       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

If you did, then I'd put it in the Special Submissions category along with mine. You cannot win the contest, but you would show off your map.

sierra117

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 08:30 PM    Msg. 12 of 173       

Quick questions:

1.) Yes. It is up to you entirely. :)

2.) No. :( i really wanted to add a part where you board a covenant cruiser, or start the map in a UNSC ship above halo, then have a hevpod insertion like halo2's delta halo intro.

3.) You can use any tagset you wish as long as you properly credit the creators. :)

4.) Yes. If your computer can handle it. :)

5.) That's what the grading is for! :D

@shadowslayer: Whatever uses the BSPs and you find creative or fun.
Edited by DarkHalo003 on Mar 7, 2010 at 07:51 PM

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 08:38 PM    Msg. 13 of 173       
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

If you did, then I'd put it in the Special Submissions category along with mine. You cannot win the contest, but you would show off your map.

Why not, why should I be so more special than anyone else :(

Corvette19

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 08:45 PM    Msg. 14 of 173       
I can help judge.
Xfire?

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 08:47 PM    Msg. 15 of 173       
All the stock BSPs are there and unmodified.

RougeSpartan414

Angatar, the Iron-Father.

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 08:57 PM    Msg. 16 of 173       
Sierra, you could always make a scenery ship high above the map that you drop from. I don't see any rule limiting scenery, so that should help you out.

Co1t3r

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:00 PM    Msg. 17 of 173       
I'm making an SP with Death Island. Is that close enough?

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:11 PM    Msg. 18 of 173       
@Masters: it's only because your map has dogfighting and has new BSPs attached to it. It won't be legitimate if you use other BSPs. You've also worked on it for two years.

@Sierra: If it's any compromise, I could allow the addition of a BSP that leads you into the island (like a Hangar from POA), but no AI fighting is allowed before you reach the Island. In other words, no fighting on the ship.

@Everyone: Custom Music is allowed. I don't see why not.

@colter: It depends. I might let it slide, although if I do it would be up to the community to decide if it stays in the Contending or Special sections.
Edited by DarkHalo003 on Mar 7, 2010 at 09:13 PM

sierra117

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:24 PM    Msg. 19 of 173       
i wasnt planning on making u fight from the poa. My real concern was that i wanted to have a capital ship above the island (aswell as poa, they're fighting in the sky) while the player fights on the ground, then at a point you would board the ship. Like the poa explodes and the only way out is to board the capital ship and clear it of any hostiles, then leave the island in the capital ship. But i wanted to fight not only on the island, but on the capital ship aswell. Of course i will make the main gameplay on the island though :)

so is that appropriate? Because i really wanted to do something like this, but i lacked the motivation and this is the perfect way for me to actually make this.

Masters1337

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:26 PM    Msg. 20 of 173       
eh, your arguments are weak and set a double standard. I'm just not going to participate.

Advancebo

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:26 PM    Msg. 21 of 173       
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1918

Done.
What do I win?
Edited by Advancebo on Mar 7, 2010 at 09:26 PM

sierra117

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:28 PM    Msg. 22 of 173       
a cookie :)
*gives cookie

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:29 PM    Msg. 23 of 173       
i wasnt planning on making u fight from the poa. My real concern was that i wanted to have a capital ship above the island (aswell as poa, they're fighting in the sky) while the player fights on the ground, then at a point you would board the ship. Like the poa explodes and the only way out is to board the capital ship and clear it of any hostiles, then leave the island in the capital ship. But i wanted to fight not only on the island, but on the capital ship aswell. Of course i will make the main gameplay on the island though :)

so is that appropriate? Because i really wanted to do something like this, but i lacked the motivation and this is the perfect way for me to actually make this.

Hmmm, well, it sounds good. I'm debating if I should make the Special section gradable now. The reason behind a legit and non-legit sectioning is because I don't want everyone to focus on adding other BSPs to the challenge. I'm going to stick to having what I have recently changed. If you are going to do what you do, it will be located in the Specials section.

@Masters: Double Standard? Oh well. Also, your mod isn't from scratch. THIS MUST BE FROM SCRATCH. At least for the most part anyways.

@Advancebo: I c wut u did thar.

@Corvette: I haven't figured out judges yet. That'll be done in due time.

Edited by DarkHalo003 on Mar 7, 2010 at 09:37 PM

sierra117

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:48 PM    Msg. 24 of 173       
so mine will be special? :D

and i vote to change it due date till 1st of june :)
Edited by sierra117 on Mar 7, 2010 at 09:50 PM

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:49 PM    Msg. 25 of 173       
so mine will be special? :D

I you use anything more than what it specified, than yes, it is in the Special section.

sierra117

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 09:54 PM    Msg. 26 of 173       
yay! mines gonna be special. Unless i run outa tagspace. :( hoping though

Gamma927

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 10:09 PM    Msg. 27 of 173       
No, mine's gonna be special because I have custom dialog.

FFS, concentrate on FINISHING the map BEFORE you worry about it being special .________.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 10:09 PM    Msg. 28 of 173       
what if we reskin the map in kornmann guerilla v2? say skin it to a dry map or. a really grassy maybe even snow. also what If we edit the model to change water to ice?

Gamma927

Posted: Mar 7, 2010 10:12 PM    Msg. 29 of 173       
@ DarkHalo, you might want to change the rules, because judging from all these questions, it's gonna be based more on tags per say, with someone using custom animations, someone reskinning the map, etc. It'll be less about the actual SP portion of the contest, and more of "oh, I can mod b30 better than all of you".

z0mg I r gonna win cuz i r haz synchronizd jumping.
http://www.xfire.com/video/24074b/
Edited by Gamma927 on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:15 PM

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 09:04 PM    Msg. 30 of 173       
Use the original BSPs, including textures. The SP isn't graded over tags. I'll look at how fun it is and what I have listed. In other words, whoring it with hidef tags won't make it good if the rest is FUBAR.

Gamma927

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 09:09 PM    Msg. 31 of 173       
I'm not talking about having the best weapon and vehicle tags. I'm talking about whether you'd consider a SP more "special" than others if it contained perfect custom animations and dialog, that flowed beautifully with the map. Read the last few posts. People are going crazy with modding the map and creating custom animations and dialog rather than setting up a good SP layout.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 09:25 PM    Msg. 32 of 173       
Use the original BSPs, including textures. The SP isn't graded over tags. I'll look at how fun it is and what I have listed. In other words, whoring it with hidef tags won't make it good if the rest is FUBAR.

but I <3 new textures :D. also why not its the same old BSP just with a new skin and a death barrier. Im just changing water to ice :P

DarkHalo003

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 09:27 PM    Msg. 33 of 173       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
I'm not talking about having the best weapon and vehicle tags. I'm talking about whether you'd consider a SP more "special" than others if it contained perfect custom animations and dialog, that flowed beautifully with the map. Read the last few posts. People are going crazy with modding the map and creating custom animations and dialog rather than setting up a good SP layout.

I explained that having cutscenes is a have or have not thing. You either get it or you don't. In other words, you could have simple camera shots of you're location and take FP as soon as it's over, or you could have awesome animations in your cutscene and make it epic. You either get 10 or you get 0.

The point is for the gameplay to fun and good, not to try and win your way out using bedazzling imagery.

Gamma927

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 09:31 PM    Msg. 34 of 173       
The point is for the gameplay to fun and good, not to try and win your way out using bedazzling imagery.

EXACTLY what I'm trying to emphasize. People are going for the bedazzling imagery though.

Dwood

Judge Ye Therefore

Posted: Mar 8, 2010 10:26 PM    Msg. 35 of 173       
Ill try this out.

Page 1 of 5 Go to page: · [1] · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · Next

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat July 4, 2020 12:45 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website