A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Question on UVs

Author Topic: Question on UVs (7 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

eliteslasher

Crysis 3!!!!!!! All I have to say. :D

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 03:56 PM    Msg. 1 of 7       
How would I go about adding mesh to a map while still retaining an unwrap or can that not be done?

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 11:46 PM    Msg. 2 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
How would I go about adding mesh to a map while still retaining an unwrap or can that not be done?

Usually Max will prompt you when you try to attach something to a model about attaching material IDs are keeping the attaching object's material IDs from the model you're attaching it too's IDs. In other words, it'll tell you if you want to keep the UVs of each model separate or if you want to combine them. So no, adding another model to a BSP in Max will not screw up the UVs of the BSP, unless you tell respond to Max's prompt by saying you want the BSP's UVs to be that of the attaching model.

eliteslasher

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 06:52 AM    Msg. 3 of 7       
I know you can do that, but there is no way to keep an unwrap like if you have to completely recreate a sky and add it to the mesh to seal off the model?

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 08:31 AM    Msg. 4 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
I know you can do that, but there is no way to keep an unwrap like if you have to completely recreate a sky and add it to the mesh to seal off the model?

It's no different. Just tell 3ds when it prompts you when you begin adding the sky to not my the sky's UVs like the rest of the mesh's.

sleepy1212

sunnier than you www.quantumfusionclan.com

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 10:16 AM    Msg. 5 of 7       
just add the sky, you don't have to uv it and it won't mess with your other uv's.

when you add mesh it doesn't ask to use the same uv it asks for the material ids. the mesh you add won't be uved properly unless you did it beforehand. even then it won't mess up as long as you aren't moving vertices or faces that are already mapped.

eliteslasher

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 02:40 PM    Msg. 6 of 7       
Quote: --- Original message by: sleepy1212
just add the sky, you don't have to uv it and it won't mess with your other uv's.

when you add mesh it doesn't ask to use the same uv it asks for the material ids. the mesh you add won't be uved properly unless you did it beforehand. even then it won't mess up as long as you aren't moving vertices or faces that are already mapped.

So adding unmapped faces o vertices will do nothing to the unwrap then. I tried doing this though and it did change it. Is there something I need ticked in my settings to make sure it preserves these already mapped UVs?

xebec

Posted: Mar 27, 2010 03:32 PM    Msg. 7 of 7       
Ok Let me get you right. You have a mesh that is unwraped and uvwed you then want to edit ether the mesh or add more mesh, But you dont want to screw up your unwraped uvw. If thats so click on the modifier list on the right side of 3ds max and click edit mesh or edit poly then it will keep everything that is uvwed and wont change any thing. You will also be able to add new mesh without wrecking your unwraped stuff.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed November 20, 2019 3:03 AM 44,953 ms.
A Halo Maps Website