A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Update edge of player_clip failure -> compilation error in tool

Author Topic: Update edge of player_clip failure -> compilation error in tool (17 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

GameCreat0r

"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written..."

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 11:12 AM    Msg. 1 of 17       
To learn using my skills whit 3ds max 2010 for halo maps I started following the hek tutorial. This way I know wherer i can make other maps for halo too. However, i got stucked at some debugging. Everyone gets errors whit tool the first time. I solved most of mine, but I need some help whit this one:

In the hek tutorial I'm supposed to make a player clip. This player clip toutches the level/skybox on some of its edges. Now tool gives me the following errors:

### WARNING found #11 degenerate triangles

(I think I shouldn't worry about this)
and a couple

### ERROR couldn't update edge # (red)

Whitch just needs to be fixed.

After importing the wrl file I discovered the edges are all the edges of the player clip having contact whit some other opjects edges (not the player clip).

ofcourse this makes sence since at these edges 3 faces use the same edge. (i read it's only allowed to be 2 faces on 1 edge)

How do I fix the problem whitout removing the player clip? (please do not come whit things as istead of using example_tutorial_playerclip* using example_tutorial_playerclip%* , since this would ruine the quality of the playerclip)

link to the .max file:
http://www.nielsserver.freeiz.com/halo/files/basic%20edge%20error.max
Edited by Niels on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 9, 2010 10:44 PM    Msg. 2 of 17       
I am having a hard time imagining a situation where you build the clip into the map in a place where 3 faces wouldn't share 1 edge. ( i have zero experience with clips though)
You are for sure supposed to attach it to the model?

OpsY

Frobisher Bay

Posted: Apr 10, 2010 11:54 AM    Msg. 3 of 17       
Alright the solution is simple and you already know of it.In Editable Mesh, Create your player clip from your ground edges up to the sky, make a sealed plane from it including the roof and facing the interior or your map then hit ''Detach''. It will separate the faces you created from the ground BSP. Give it a example_tutorial_clip% material and voila! It's how Glass works. This means you'll have a perfect seal and the double sided with make Tool STFU about double edges since they are in the same space but not linked. Any other method will be doomed.

sierra117

If sex is good exercise, why are there fat sluts?

Posted: Apr 10, 2010 10:54 PM    Msg. 4 of 17       
give it a double sided material '%'. But make sure it follows world sealed rules. It doesnt have to be detached if it follows the rules. Same thing for glass. :)

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 11, 2010 05:15 AM    Msg. 5 of 17       
Guys this answhere is what I've been trying to avoid...
I give this quote out of the hek tuturial:
Quote:
%
Two sided property. This flag or shader symbol when applied to a material that is applied to a face or surface renders both sides of the surface instead of just the side that the normal is facing.

Large collideable property. This flag or shader symbol when applied to a material that is applied to a face or surface sets the surface up to not be rendered and only have collision.

The point is the rendering! Whit the * it says: NOT TO BE RENDERED Whit the % it says: RENDERS BOTH SIDES

What are the side effects? And how to avoid the side effects if there are any?

And LordOfJericho, my mistake, I tought it would be handy since its kind of the same problem on that tropic... Just ignor that plz.

Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 05:17 AM

EDIT:

OH N0000000000
WHY ME??!!!

Ok so I tryed whit the %* on the end anyway and in steat of update edge erros I now got the most noobis one of all! I swear I did not mess up on this part!

OPEN FREAKING EDGE !!!

(no offence)
### ERROR edge # is open (red).

So here is the wrl imported whit the model again, plz help me out of this stupit mess...

For the record, I did not mess up whit open edges! It must be the % that failes. I havent tryed whitout the * because the player clip has to work as a player clip ofcourse -.- .

http://www.nielsserver.freeiz.com/halo/files/basic%20an%20other%20bug%20whit%20%25!.max
Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 06:27 AM
Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 07:16 AM

Edit:

Don't forget that it's suppost to work since it worked fine for the guys that made the tuturial. There must be a differece between the tuturial.max and my map that makes this happen.'I can't find that difference so it doesn't make sence...

There must be a simple way to fix this!

ANOTHER EDIT:

AHA, I did an intersting discovery! Deleting the playerclip gives EXACTLY the same problem as making it whit a %! So It's not just the player clip causing the error but also other pieces of the map! Would someone PLZ look at the latest .max file i posted a link to and see whats wrong? I really need to fix this soon cause I can't make maps aslong as I can't fix this...

EDIT (OVERLOAD):

So it seems I did ##### up at the red base somehow. it was a bit of it's posision. I fix that now but now I got this REALLY anoiing 0,001 offset. If i try to put the edge where it should be it just jumps 0,001 of that posision, giving me an open edge. I try moving the vertecies instead maybe that will work... But even if I can fix those open edges (whits i can't even find on the play clip) It's still weird that I need the % to get sofar. SOMEONE PLZ FIX IT AND TEST IT AND TELL ME WHAT IT IS!

EDIT (-.-):

I nearly fixed all of the open edges now I think that won''t be a proble (just takes a whole day). But still the side effects of the % are unknown for me so anyone that does know plz help me.

Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 07:39 AM
Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 08:08 AM
Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 08:09 AM
Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 09:43 AM
Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 11, 2010 05:17 PM    Msg. 6 of 17       
Weld all the verts at a value of 0.01

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 11, 2010 05:23 PM    Msg. 7 of 17       

I have been waiting for all day for a reply and this is it? .........

That what is started whit!
well anyway thanks for your reply XD

(no offence man just lol...)
Edited by Niels on Apr 11, 2010 at 05:24 PM

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: Apr 11, 2010 05:27 PM    Msg. 8 of 17       
Maybe you dont understand.
Forgetting the clips for now, you must fix the open edges, start by welding at 0.01.
Export with no clips, if it works then just do what Opsy said to add the clips.

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 12, 2010 07:06 AM    Msg. 9 of 17       
np

I understand fine, that excactly what i'm doing. :D However the open egdges aren't that simple. The welding fixed just 4 of them so I had to do the others manually. I'm still working on that and I almost solved them but I still got 2 problems:

1: Where the top of the level / skybox is connected whit the playerclip i have a few open edges whitch don't make sence. Everytime I try to fix them it eigther reduces just a little or it become more... I don't see the open edges where the wrl file tells me there are...(And just to clear this: I already did the 0,1 welding and that doesn't solve it, I wouldn't ask for help if it did.)

2: By making the player clip material render both sides I expect serious side effects since the player clip isn't supost to be rendered at all! My question: What will exactly happen by making the material name end whit %* insted of just * ?

I hope this clears up the problem(s).

EDIT:
YES YES YES! I finnaly fixed all the open edges!

GF!!!!!!! (plz don't read this as offence)

More errors........

let's see:
### WARNING found #21 degenerate triangles [I have no idee what to do whit this...]
### ERROR found z buffered triangles (red). [SOLVED]
### WARNING found nearly coplanar surfaces (red and green). [REDUCED -> I think i can ignor what's left of this since it's the area under the 4 strairs...)
### WARNING unearthed edge (magenta boxed lines) [SOLVED]
### WARNING unearthed edge (magenta boxed lines) [SOLVED] (notice 2 times)
### ERROR: portal does not define two closed spaces. (see yellow in error geometry) [SOLVED]

I'll take a look in my hek tutorial to see if and if so what to do about this...

EDIT:
The last error now has a green SOLVED behind it, meaning that only 2 warnings show up in tool now. This might seems to be a ended tropic but it's not... I stil have a few more questions:

1: By making the player clip material render both sides I expect serious side effects since the player clip isn't supost to be rendered at all! My question: What will exactly happen by making the material name end whit %* insted of just * ?

2: What to do whit the: ### WARNING found #21 degenerate triangles.

3:What to do whit the: ### WARNING found nearly coplanar surfaces (red and green).

PLEASE POST!!!!!!

For people whit the same problems I explain how I solved it:

Update edge error: At a % to the material name of the material that has these errors and try to avoid haveing MORE then 2 faces using the same edge.

Open edge error: Make sure you have atleast 2 faces coming together in 1 edge if the faces are to be rendered! MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS LINKED TO THE FRAME!

z buffered triangels: Make sure the faces don't cover the same area.

unearthed edge warning: Stupit warning that seems to disapear if u solve the other warnings and errors first -.-' .

Portal does not define two closed spaces error: Make sure the spaces between the faces are not to small. (the playerclip and level/skybox count as faces of the terrain portal)

PLEASE POST PEOPLE I WANT TO SOLVE ALL OF THESE!

Edited by Niels on Apr 12, 2010 at 09:20 AM
Edited by Niels on Apr 12, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Edited by Niels on Apr 12, 2010 at 11:38 AM
Edited by Niels on Apr 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM

xebec

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 11:28 AM    Msg. 10 of 17       
Dont worry about those two they do nothing. Your model should be build and you can use it. If your gbx model did not create from those two errors then you have a problem. If it did your set to go.

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 11:39 AM    Msg. 11 of 17       
I know it's not serious but besides of those what does the % has for side effects to the playerclip? The errors I just wanted to know wethere or not they give any problem but I can't find that problem so I think it's ok.

xebec

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 11:43 AM    Msg. 12 of 17       
Ok I see what you did you added % to a material so you could get tool to work properly. Well to me that is not the right way to do it. And in the end if its a map you will have problems with things falling through that material. I had it happen on My very first map I made. I couldnt remove the error so I added % and It made my texture show up and everything looked fine. But when I walked on it I fell through the map.
Edited by xebec on Apr 14, 2010 at 11:44 AM

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 01:06 PM    Msg. 13 of 17       
Well that's what I'm affraight off. HOW TO FIX THIS PROPERTLY?!!!
Edited by Niels on Apr 14, 2010 at 01:06 PM

xebec

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 08:41 PM    Msg. 14 of 17       
send me your model I will take a look at it for ya.

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 10:13 AM    Msg. 15 of 17       
Quote: --- Original message by: xebec
send me your model I will take a look at it for ya.

It's POSTED HERE! U can just download by clicking that link!!! However the newest one (that has a exact portal bug whitch i can't fix at the red base) is avaleble here: http://nielsserver.freeiz.com/halo/files/basic%20FINAL%20exact%20portal%20fix.max

That Exact poratal bug is descrived in a tropic here: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=31380

Plz SOMEONE tell me how to fix these things, especially the exact portal volume! About the %, I havend tested the map in game jet because of the excact portal bug in sapien so idk what the % makes of the playerclip...

I appreciate ANY help very much!

Edit: The download is save and comes from my own server. It's just a .max file of my map. I promis totally save to download!
Edited by Niels on Apr 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM

xebec

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 11:30 AM    Msg. 16 of 17       
Ok So I am looking at your map right now. Why do you have all the terrain portals? To me you are just making it hard. You dont need the terrain portals and I have never used them in any of my maps. There really are only a few times you might need portals. If you have a really big map and alot of detail in the map. Then you need a portal so the map wont lag as bad. Since you are doing the tutorial map I would suggest getting to know how to model without errors before messing with portals.
Edited by xebec on Apr 16, 2010 at 01:01 PM

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 11:32 AM    Msg. 17 of 17       
eehm, well, I know the terrain portals are a bit over the needs, but thats what the tutorial told me to do. I do it because I want to learn making them (that's what the whole map is about). Whitout the portals the map works fine in sapien (haved got it into halo jet). However this is not about those terrain portals, it's about the exact portals of the red base 9the one whit masterchief on top). Those don't work in sapien so i can't give the hallway a different environment! If you can't see them good because of the terrain portals just make the terrain portals inviseble so you can see the map better. About the errors: those are all fixed now. Only the 2 warnings remain but those don't make any sence and the map works fine whit them. Please take a look to the exact portal volume of the red base and see if you can get it to work in sapien. Thanks for looking at it!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sun October 20, 2019 2:07 PM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website