A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Reflecting sniper

Author Topic: Reflecting sniper (19 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

CPU Terminator

Common sense in not common

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 12:11 PM    Msg. 1 of 19       
Hi ppl I am trying to make the sniper deflect off metal objects. However after seeing the effect in Ratrace I decided to limit the amount of reflects possible... What I did was to give the sniper bullet projectile a minimum travel speed of 150 wups and try to set the perpendicular and parallel friction to a certain amount to allow the sniper to deflect off metal objects for a maximum of 6 times. Can anyone recommend some values? Also if my minimum speed is too low also tell me.
Thks

Jesse

Discord: Holy Crust#4500

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 01:26 AM    Msg. 2 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: CPU Terminator
However after seeing the effect in Ratrace

Wow. I wonder what happened. Enlighten us with a video my good sir.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 01:38 AM    Msg. 3 of 19       
lol many bad things i bet

CPU Terminator

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 03:54 AM    Msg. 4 of 19       
What happened? This happened... I tried out the reflecting sniper and and I think it over reflected and the entire map was "toured" by the single shot... There were white streams in every corner... I bet if u blindly fire you can get a killtacular... Maybe I'll make a vid but rlly, not fun if the enemy has the sniper lol.

Anyway... I need the values!!

Thx again
Edited by CPU Terminator on Apr 15, 2010 at 03:57 AM

sleepy1212

sunnier than you www.quantumfusionclan.com

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 10:10 PM    Msg. 5 of 19       
covie shield

GameCreat0r

"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written..."

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 10:38 AM    Msg. 6 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: sleepy1212
covie shield

That would help to make the reflecting material, but it seems he already has that. What he is looking for is values that make the bullet stop reflecting after a short while.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: Apr 16, 2010 12:24 PM    Msg. 7 of 19       
There are a few values in the projectile, if I recall correctly, which designate a certain angle at which the projectile will reflect at.

CPU Terminator

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 02:58 AM    Msg. 8 of 19       
Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
There are a few values in the projectile, if I recall correctly, which designate a certain angle at which the projectile will reflect at.
I know that but all I care about it how to limit the amount of bounces without affecting the maximum distance the bullet can travel.

Daemon

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 03:52 AM    Msg. 9 of 19       

What happened? This happened... I tried out the reflecting sniper and and I think it over reflected and the entire map was "toured" by the single shot... There were white streams in every corner... I bet if u blindly fire you can get a killtacular... Maybe I'll make a vid but rlly, not fun if the enemy has the sniper lol.

Anyway... I need the values!!

Thx again
Edited by CPU Terminator on Apr 15, 2010 at 03:57 AM

I think I'd rather have this weapon then anything else.

Any way you can post a ratrace variant with that sniper?

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 11:37 AM    Msg. 10 of 19       
o comon, any map whit this gun in it will be runed unless it's a outside map! The concept will only be compleet whit the limitations defined.

Gamma927

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 12:14 PM    Msg. 11 of 19       
I know that but all I care about it how to limit the amount of bounces without affecting the maximum distance the bullet can travel.

Changing the angle to something much smaller DOES affect the amount of bounces. If you think about it, if you were to limit the angle to something almost parallel, the odds of the sniper bullet bouncing would be minuscule. For example, if you were to fire one off in rat race, directly at a wall, it wouldn't bounce. If you were to fire it almost parallel, it would bounce off, but keep traveling until it hits a wall. It won't bounce off that wall, however, because the angle limitations make it impossible for the bullet to bounce off.

SlappyThePirate

You are irritating, I'll release nothing

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 04:32 PM    Msg. 12 of 19       
Yes, that is true, but not exactly what he's looking for. I still prefer your way: bullets bouncing off nonparallel surfaces isn't real.
Edited by SlappyThePirate on Apr 17, 2010 at 04:33 PM

GameCreat0r

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 04:37 PM    Msg. 13 of 19       
How about making the bulled explode aftera centrain number of bouces. the explode can be whit a force of 0 making it look like a dissaper. I mean like a needler needle that jus explodes after some time but in this case make it happen after a number off reflextions. (Idk how to make the bullet count that)

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 06:39 PM    Msg. 14 of 19       
If you are trying to make a bullet/projectile reflect from metal, then do the following:

1.) Open Guerilla. Open the .projectile tag of the sniper rifle. Go down to the bottom where it says "Material Responses."

2.) Go to the drop down box of the material of metal you are using (Thin, Thick, Hollow).

3.) Go to the small area named "Default Result" and go to the drop down box by "Response." Now drop down and click on "Reflect." Your sniper bullet should reflect off the metal surface.

However, if you are in a map, make sure the material surface of the map's metal is actually labeled as a metal. Sometimes, by default, it's named as dirt.

^This is the best way to accomplish reflecting bullets. But if you are worried about the constant reflecting of the bullet, then here is possible solution:

1.) In the projectile tag, go to $$$PROJECTILE$$$ and go to the section called "detonation timer starts" and go to the drop down box. Click the section called "after first bounce."

2.) Make sure the properties under "Reflection" at the bottom of the tag are at 0. Both of them. If you wish to test your theory using these two, though, the 1st step will need to be changed to "At rest" and you'll need to start with SMALL integers, like 1 or 2.

3.) I'm pretty sure guided angular velocity is used for tracked projectiles, like the needler.
Edited by DarkHalo003 on Apr 17, 2010 at 06:47 PM

Gamma927

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 08:02 PM    Msg. 15 of 19       
The OP knows how to make the bullet bounce off of metal. He's only trying to limit the number of bounces.

DarkHalo003

All ARs Need Green Little Buttons.

Posted: Apr 17, 2010 09:33 PM    Msg. 16 of 19       
The OP knows how to make the bullet bounce off of metal. He's only trying to limit the number of bounces.

Read the second half of my post DERP.

CPU Terminator

Posted: Apr 18, 2010 07:36 AM    Msg. 17 of 19       
DarkHalo003, good idea but the sniper takes less than a second to cover the map with streams of death... Setting a detonation timer is rather useless... The angle limiting thing sounds interesting but would anyone recommend some values I can test with?
Thks

Gamma927

Posted: Apr 18, 2010 11:01 AM    Msg. 18 of 19       
The needler's needle reflects between 0 and 25 degrees. I'd suggest something about a half or a quarter of that, between 0 and 6 degrees, maybe? This way, it's much more difficult to allow the bullet to reflect, as I explained in my earlier post.

CPU Terminator

Posted: Apr 19, 2010 04:34 AM    Msg. 19 of 19       
Quote: The needler's needle reflects between 0 and 25 degrees. I'd suggest something about a half or a quarter of that, between 0 and 6 degrees, maybe? This way, it's much more difficult to allow the bullet to reflect, as I explained in my earlier post.

Thks for providing sumthing I can test with! Gonna test it right away!

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Thu December 12, 2019 4:14 PM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website