A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE Technical / Map Design »Is it possible for a ten year old to get a handle on map creation?

Author Topic: Is it possible for a ten year old to get a handle on map creation? (24 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

toniamg

Posted: May 12, 2010 12:12 AM    Msg. 1 of 24       
I have a ten year old Aspergian boy who has been patiently awaiting the outcome of my research as to how to mod Halo. He saw a video on Youtube that pertained to this subject. From what I have compiled so far, we already have Halo PC, I've downloaded Halo CE and the HEK kit, but have not yet gone as far to obtain the 3d editing program that I believe is required. After reviewing some of the threads regarding "how to," I'm not sure that this will be a simple venture for a ten year old, so that is why I'm asking for some experienced input before I comit more time to figuring this out. So if anyone has an opinion regarding the complexity of editing Halo, I certainly would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for your time.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: May 12, 2010 02:11 AM    Msg. 2 of 24       
There are some users here who were 12 when the joined, and they learned a heck of a lot in a short couple of years.
I would imagine they had a decent grasp on using a pc before starting to mod halo ce though.
You should learn how to do it and teach him.

spartin115

Scripter;Level design; AI; Animation

Posted: May 12, 2010 06:16 AM    Msg. 3 of 24       
Download one of the maps i mad a few years ago and dident relece!

Tuaha

Posted: May 12, 2010 08:04 AM    Msg. 4 of 24       
Last year I was 10 and I uploaded my map Forest Plains here. It's just a basic map, with rough hills and a simple map shape.

Gamma927

Steam: gamma927

Posted: May 12, 2010 10:30 AM    Msg. 5 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Grogner7
I reckon you should try to teach the 10 year olds because everything these days is made by adults

Not really. Most of us are teenagers aged between 14 - 18.

lordofblake

Nice Tongue

Posted: May 12, 2010 02:05 PM    Msg. 6 of 24       
I started modding when i was...8? Wow, been a long ass time. Im 14 now. Its really not hard. All you have to do is take it on step at a time. Try populating (Adding stuff) the map "Tutorial" in Sapien (Scenario editing software). Then, download HEK+ (http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1541) and then extract other scenarios. Then you can modify them. Adding AI is another good step. Maybe learning how to use devmode, or better yet, learn how to script. Try to make a cutscene or spawn an object.

Also, youtube sucks for Halo: Custom Edition modding tutorials. Check the tutorial section on this site. (hce.halomaps.org)

abkarch

Posted: May 12, 2010 04:10 PM    Msg. 7 of 24       
im 14. adults dont typically play halo PC/CE online anymore. its the teens who want to make their own stuff and put it in game.

GameCreat0r

"Perhaps the ending has not yet been written..."

Posted: May 12, 2010 05:51 PM    Msg. 8 of 24       
I became 17 this week. But I started so late because I didn't even know halo existed a year ago. I could have done this when I was 10.

By the way I hope gamma is right I see more and more adults and I like to keep it whitin my own spiecies ^^.

Maniac1000
-Helpful Poster-

Posted: May 12, 2010 10:36 PM    Msg. 9 of 24       
I am 33, i used to try program stuff on my zx spectrum when i was 8.
It was easier to learn things when i was 8, lol.

toniamg

Posted: May 12, 2010 11:08 PM    Msg. 10 of 24       
Thanks for all of the positive comments. My son has been playing Gary's Mod for sometime now, but I know that editing Halo is not as simple, so it sounds as if he may have a good chance for survival without too much frustration.

Thanks again!

CheesePoofs

Former Halo CE Recon Mapping Team Member

Posted: May 12, 2010 11:09 PM    Msg. 11 of 24       
i started modding at 12 =\, then i quit just last year because tool kept failing on me and it was a bit complicated. well i might come back to mod sometime this year before summer starts or on my birthday which is in 3 days from here
Edited by CheesePoofs on May 12, 2010 at 11:10 PM

GameCreat0r

Posted: May 13, 2010 06:25 AM    Msg. 12 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: toniamg
without too much frustration.

Well we didn't say that :P.

ODX

A rare sight, indeed.

Posted: May 13, 2010 07:29 AM    Msg. 13 of 24       
I remember when I was around that age, I mainly just started out playing the game itself regularly until it grew on me and I joined the modding community when I was 12, but didn't actually learn something (First-Person Animation) until around 13. Currently I'm 15 (and a month) old, loving what I do I suppose.

A hard part for him might be making up his mind as to what he wants to do, so I suggest that you just let him play the game a bit like I did (careful of the flood levels though, I was pretty scared of those when I was younger ._.) and ask him if he perhaps likes how the guns look(weapon modeling), or how the levels look(level modeling), the animations to weapons or characters(First/Third-Person animation), the enemies and your own guy (skinning or modeling) and see what he says. Taking a look around this community and seeing what other people do is nice too. I was always a sucker for animations, so that's what I finally became: an animator.

Hmm, so he's got Aspergers...is he more of the quiet, socially awkward type? (Just out of curiosity, I have an 18 year old brother with it and he's a recluse but a friend of mine [15] is the most chatty person I know).
Edited by ODX on May 13, 2010 at 07:32 AM

GameCreat0r

Posted: May 13, 2010 08:47 AM    Msg. 14 of 24       
mmm I just started all this but I'm a quick learner. THIS IS IMPORTAND: The HEK Tutorial is the only thing that can learn you EVERY aspect of the basic map creation! I really recoment doing that first. It saves you a whole year understanding what it takes to make a map. After that learn using hek plus to learn modding and start understanding tag. Then start building your own work.

I found the modeling the hardest part, however the tags are really a pain int the ass. You need your debug.txt a lot and you need to learn working whit tags as good as you can.

I find myself learning quicker than most people on this forum becaus i seach for the limit of modding. I try to make stuff work in ways that others haven't done jet. Experementing how you can make thing work more the way you want it. For excample: I found that it's hard to get in a pelican or longsword when the driver is already in his seat. To fix that I just made the pelicans physics wake on speed. That was eassy. But the toutchdown still has the same problem. So now I look for a way to make the physics sleep again by pressing the s button while your in the driver seat.
Seaching for solucions learns me in this case how to script for halo. It's a really quick way of learning stuff. And I just use the forum to find these solucions.

PX173

It was worth it.

Posted: May 15, 2010 08:24 AM    Msg. 15 of 24       
It's easier to mold soft clay than hard clay. But then again, soft clay can get your hands dirty and can be hard to mold, not to mention that when you screw up, there's no turning back. Still, I guess you could etch in a few details with a tool even if it's already hardened, no?

Also, remember that the best and most detailed sculptures weren't made by just sticking a chisel into a block of marble and hitting it with a hammer. Don't chew more than you can bite as well, and you also (definitely) shouldn't immediately swallow what you can't chew in your mouth just because it's full. Make sure the tank doesn't have holes in it, you never know when you keep pouring in water while more water is rushing through the hole at the bottom of the tank.

Hope you get that.

Hm, I guess I got carried away looking at what's changed over a month.
Edited by PX173 on May 15, 2010 at 08:31 AM
Edited by PX173 on May 15, 2010 at 08:37 AM

DavixXx

MW map pask in process

Posted: May 15, 2010 07:53 PM    Msg. 16 of 24       
hi im 18 and i started mapping 4year ago because im french and my english was too bad to understand.
i know many famous map maker of 10-14year old.
so welcome in mapping.
about 3d program, you can use gmax, 3ds max. there are many other program but i don't know if they are compatible.

lordofblake

Nice Tongue

Posted: May 15, 2010 08:44 PM    Msg. 17 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: PX173

It's easier to mold soft clay than hard clay. But then again, soft clay can get your hands dirty and can be hard to mold, not to mention that when you screw up, there's no turning back. Still, I guess you could etch in a few details with a tool even if it's already hardened, no?

Also, remember that the best and most detailed sculptures weren't made by just sticking a chisel into a block of marble and hitting it with a hammer. Don't chew more than you can bite as well, and you also (definitely) shouldn't immediately swallow what you can't chew in your mouth just because it's full. Make sure the tank doesn't have holes in it, you never know when you keep pouring in water while more water is rushing through the hole at the bottom of the tank.

Hope you get that.

Hm, I guess I got carried away looking at what's changed over a month.

Edited by PX173 on May 15, 2010 at 08:31 AM
Edited by PX173 on May 15, 2010 at 08:37 AM

Despite the eccentric-ness, oh yes, those were some awesome metaphors.

GameCreat0r

Posted: May 16, 2010 06:40 PM    Msg. 18 of 24       
No need to metaforise my post. I think I explaint it good whitout that.

Kustrin 117

DUH

Posted: May 17, 2010 09:50 AM    Msg. 19 of 24       
I start mapping 11 and you could ask people on the forum. Try on and I'll download it.

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: May 18, 2010 01:40 PM    Msg. 20 of 24       
Meh
I started about a year ago
(IM 12)
And after I read the tutorial that came with the HEK I got kind of cunfuddeled and I just did it by trial and error. I took me a while to figure out how to use tool to compile a map. And I have most of Sapien figured out just about all of guerilla figured out and a weee little bit of tool figured out (HUD messages and compiling .map files.)
And I will admit my first few mods were... crappy at best. but since then I have been doing some AWESOME cinematrography (<<< yes that IS how its spelled stupid speel checker) although I found that if you can find somewhat simple VID tuts you can learn to do a whole lot of different things.

I reccomand looking around on halomaps.org for tuts on how to do things
I know there is a really simple easy to follow AI tut somewhere.
and a lot of other nice simple tuts
But the people here arn't exactily ''friendily to new people that don't know all that much.
MAN I KNOW THIS POST WAS BAD BUT I WAS IN A HURRY

-Skipdrow
Edited by Skidrow925 on Jun 19, 2010 at 02:37 PM

GameCreat0r

Posted: May 18, 2010 04:44 PM    Msg. 21 of 24       
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Meh
I started about a year ago
(IM 12)
And after I read the tutorial that came with the HEK I got kind of cunfuddeled and I just did it by trial and error. I took me a while to figure out how to use tool to compile a map. And I have most of Sapien figured out just about all of guerilla figured out and a weee little bit of tool figured out (HUD messages and compiling .map files.)
And I will admit my first few mods were... crappy at best. but since then I have been doing some AWESOME cinematrography (<<< yes that IS how its spelled stupid speel checker) although I found that if you can find somewhat simple VID tuts you can learn to do a whole lot of different things.

I reccomand looking around on halomaps.org for tuts on how to do things
I know there is a really simple easy to follow AI tut somewhere.
and a lot of other nice simple tuts
MAN I KNOW THIS POST WAS BAD BUT I WAS IN A HURRY

-Skipdrow

ROLF! speel checker?!?!?! lol

I think you can do this as long as you want to do it. To learn it you need to be thinking in the right way. You need to understand what you are doiing as good as you can and you can learn by willing to try new stuff. I try to make an AI fly an pelican and I make a man canon and a lot more thing I keep secret. I learn not by looking what I already can, but by learning how to do more. When I publish my map (I just started so don't expect it to soon) you can find everything of that in the way the map is created.

Keep in mind you need to understad what you want and learn how to do it. Almost everything is posseble, as long as you don't try the AI flying ^^ It really sucks.

DarkZealot

Time management: 40% Xbox, 30% PC, 30% Skating

Posted: May 18, 2010 10:15 PM    Msg. 22 of 24       
I started modding at 11 (Now 16), though CE modding is something that requires a lot of patience. Half of the time is usually spent fixing errors and crap then making the mod. The CE engine is nit-picky. I would imagine you'd have to probably monitor him (like my brother who's 14) sometimes because yeah, it can be frustrating.

And 3d modeling I really won't say. I have ADD so I cannot focus for more than 10 minutes using that program. I'd say if other people could do it when they are younger than me, then he could too.

Hydrogen

Wort Wort Wort...

Posted: May 18, 2010 10:39 PM    Msg. 23 of 24       
i started modeling at 11 and that was 5 years ago :P its ez really

Skidrow925

"ideological sense of respect and tact of a 5yo"

Posted: May 19, 2010 02:08 PM    Msg. 24 of 24       
Meh I know I miss spelled almost half the stuff in mah post.
I just don't care all that much.
Also if people can't or won't or don't want to help you (Which happened to me alot.) just figure it out by trial and error.

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Wed February 26, 2020 3:23 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website