A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

»Forums Index »Halo Custom Edition (Bungie/Gearbox) »Halo CE General Discussion »Physics (concept)

Author Topic: Physics (concept) (5 messages, Page 1 of 1)
Moderators: Dennis

ShadowFox0809

Posted: May 17, 2010 03:53 PM    Msg. 1 of 5       
I'm working on a boost effect for my non-hovering vehicle. I tried using my understanding of Newtonian physics to place the marker for the boost effect. However, Halo's physics are much more basic and I have no idea on what principles they operate.

Let's say I am on the left side of a warthog and I walk straight back from it (not at an angle). I aim my pistol (which I gave a small force value to) and fire at the left wheel. By Newtonian (typical) physics, the vehicle should spin, or turn a little along it's "z-axis". But it doesn't. Instead the whole vehicle shifts away from me, all points, by an equal amount.

It's from my understanding that the collision model, besides providing a surface for the damage effect to impact, provides no function in determining how the vehicle will react. It is also my understanding that only the direction of the line of impact (the direction of the damage effect) is considered and that the mass points will determine how the vehicle will respond to the effect.

Did GearBox provide any documentation explaining how physics work in Halo? I need help with this, as my understanding is still weak on this concept.

BTW, my boost effect works like this: it spawns a projectile, which lets out another effect with an area damage effect (explosive). I was simply using a damage effect on the marker until I realized that the damage effect was applied downward regardless of how my vehicle was oriented (i.e. always pointed in the map's "down" direction, not the warthog's "down")

Edit: I am starting to believe that boosting without anti-grav is impossible. Due to the fact that mass markers are spheres and the fact that a decent physics tag will have more than one of them...I don't think the rotational element of boosting can be fixed, unfortunately.
Edited by ShadowFox0809 on May 17, 2010 at 05:56 PM

Spectrum1012

Posted: May 17, 2010 10:11 PM    Msg. 2 of 5       
Well I'm pretty sure that in the halo 1 engine when a force acts upon an object, it acts upon the center of mass. That's why the whole warthog shifts instead of rotates around the z axis, but you probably knew that.

As for the boost effect, I tried something similar but with a sword lunge. What I can tell you is that it is VERY difficult to make it work in some kind of order. When I tried it, it made the character (in your case it would be the warthog) move in a seemingly random direction instead of the direction emanating out from the explosion's center to the object. So from my experience, damage effects for making land-bound vehicles/characters move in a specific direction... isn't exactly practical. If only this were a newer engine, this might actually work...
Edited by Spectrum1012 on May 17, 2010 at 10:12 PM

ShadowFox0809

Posted: May 18, 2010 04:20 PM    Msg. 3 of 5       
As of yet, I can make my vehicle do two things:

vertically lift up without flipping (on a perfectly flat surface)
flipping in a consistent direction

I'll be investigating the effect further as I have a more accurate physics tag and collision model to work with.

Spectrum1012

Posted: May 18, 2010 05:28 PM    Msg. 4 of 5       
Sweet... looks interesting. I hope you can get it working!

ShadowFox0809

Posted: May 18, 2010 06:49 PM    Msg. 5 of 5       
Update:
I'm still not able to get a horizontal boost, however, I'm getting a boost that will force my vehicle into a downward position and boost it upward, no matter how it's oriented.
I strongly believe the markers respond to the individual mass markers, not the general center of mass. What I'm trying to understand is how the damage effects each one, in relation to the other.

At the very least, I will likely be able to make non-hovering vehicles "jump", even if I can't make it boost.

Update: Did it. The solution was painfully simple, but not obvious.
Edited by ShadowFox0809 on May 18, 2010 at 11:51 PM

Previous Older Thread    Next newer Thread

Time: Sat August 15, 2020 9:23 AM 125 ms.
A Halo Maps Website